First Z and build

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
gmac708
Car: :o)
1970 240Z
1972 510

My rear alignment off quite a bit as well. I discovered it when measuring the fender gaps and confirmed it with an alignment rack. My camber adjustments on the plates are different from left to right as well. It must be just poor quality production. I cannot imagine Nissan want it out that much. I ended up getting the T3 rear lower adjustable control arms and dialed everything in that way. Mooving axle CL aft and toe adjustment that is.

Nice build. Keep the updates coming.

Gord

TheRock3tBunny
Car: 1977 280z

gmac708 wrote:My rear alignment off quite a bit as well. I discovered it when measuring the fender gaps and confirmed it with an alignment rack. My camber adjustments on the plates are different from left to right as well. It must be just poor quality production. I cannot imagine Nissan want it out that much. I ended up getting the T3 rear lower adjustable control arms and dialed everything in that way. Mooving axle CL aft and toe adjustment that is.

Nice build. Keep the updates coming.

Gord
Thank you! I was thinking about getting those but wasn't too sure how much it would help. I also called JDM legends and they were saying the same thing. I should be getting some fun stuff from Jeremy out in your direction any day. I believe he had his g35 right ahead of your datsun at the columbus auto show

TheRock3tBunny

Whats up everyone, I recently picked up some T3 Rear lower control arms because I had an alignment problem that really drove me nuts. Initially I thought it was terrible, but it wasn't too bad.

Basically I had a little toe out on the rear left and toe in on the right and the wheels weren't in the center of the wheel well or, furthermore, symmetrical with each other. So, I will take a picture when I get off of work, but shimmed each wheel to push it further to the center with the provided shims, then fixed the toe in a matter of no time.

Here is a couple photos, i have the rear tires on now with the lower control arms, and I just mounted a rear spoiler. I went with the victory spoiler.. This photo shows tape holding it on so if you see it uneven, i know. I will get more photos soon.

As for the install on the control arms, it was a piece of cake. Old ones out and new ones in under an hour. It gets rid of the bushings nearest the shock tube and is a piece of cake to assemble. Very trick!

Anyway for now, here is a couple photos and will have more soon. Very happy with the control arms.

TheRock3tBunny

Few new parts came today :)

While I was waiting on them I picked up a sander so I can take my time taking the body down to metal to get ready for paint. For now just trying to get through this terrible layer of primer.

I have never painted before other than the hobby style with a rattle can... we will see :?

Started on the roof and the driver side for now..

And bolted the spoiler on. I chose the victory one.. I like the look of it

Also started to mach the rear fender up.. lots of tape but whatever works. Trying to find exactly where i want it to lay and where it wants to lay. It's getting pretty close I think...

And this is lowered all the way down, the fender is about a mm away from the tire..

Im just not sure if the fender should sit lower, I am afraid the car will sit extremely low to fit the tire in the fender?.. some thinking will take place as i want to make sure

Well thats all for now, off to the new gym that recently opened up in town :)

EHutton
Car: 1996 Automatic Twin Turbo Z32

Looking fantastic! How do you like the herculiner? I was thinking about doing that or POR15 under my Z, would be nice to get some info from someone who has done it. Anyways keep up the good work, look froward to seeing it come together.
evildky wrote:An S30 with a rotten battery tray, who could have seen that one coming ;) Looking forward to following your progress. Trying to get motivated to get back on my S30.
Evildky can you shoot me an email - [email protected] - I have a few questions to ask you specifically and I'm too much of a forum noob to send you a private message, plus don't want to make an entire thread just to talk to you. Thanks

TheRock3tBunny

EHutton wrote:Looking fantastic! How do you like the herculiner? I was thinking about doing that or POR15 under my Z, would be nice to get some info from someone who has done it. Anyways keep up the good work, look froward to seeing it come together.
evildky wrote:An S30 with a rotten battery tray, who could have seen that one coming ;) Looking forward to following your progress. Trying to get motivated to get back on my S30.
Evildky can you shoot me an email - [email protected] - I have a few questions to ask you specifically and I'm too much of a forum noob to send you a private message, plus don't want to make an entire thread just to talk to you. Thanks

Thanks a lot! As for the Herculiner I really like it. I know @gmac708 didn't care for it too much on his 510. He said it wasn't adhering to his primer which i find strange because mine is hard as a rock. I have never heard of the POR15, but I have heard great things from Raptor Undercoating, you spray it on instead of roll it like the herculiner. A tip for the herculiner though, if you use it, go spend the 8 bucks on a painters suit and wear it with goggles, gloves, and a face mask because if it touches your skin it is impossible to get off. Trust me. Its on there for days.

TheRock3tBunny

Gradual Update. I have cut all the fenders and so far have tack welded the rears together before I ran out of Argon/CO2. So I tossed the fenders on so i could mount up the front air dam to line up the front fenders. Not much is bolted on but here is a fitment picture :). She is coming together

Anybody have any tips for ways to mount? I am between just a basic nut and bolt, is that what most people do? or a threaded insert.
Also looking around for a proper weather stripping.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”