First time drifting

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
grk nickafis
Car: Current: 2005 Subaru STI.
(Former)1991 300zx NA 2+0
Project: 1998 Eclipse GST 6 bolt swap

I've been to drift events, i've driven drift cars.
I've never put a car sideways though. I know how to clutch kick and all the how to info but is there any tips from REAL people that would help me. I dont want to hit any curbs. the first time i tried a 180 in a culdesac I hit a fire hydrant... Ever since then I haven't tried losing traction.

My friend and i just built a 240sx with a KA24de, nothing special. I drove that and it just Wants to slide so i assume drifting with that is easy.
I own a 1991 300zx, heavier and A lot more miles on it. It doesn't have hicus and has LSD. mostly stock, it almost refuses to kick out.
Tips?

I heard starting with donuts and then making small circles and eventually getting bigger going both ways is how it should be learned.

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

Curbs, tracks dont have curbs. Keep it off the street and off the beaten path.

Amays U G37S
Car: shoes

You can slide the car sideways going up the street. You are mainly looking to power over the back wheels. You need some speed, but first you want to get comfortable at that speed with kicking the clutch.

You really need some power, or a gutted hatch in the rain.

grk nickafis
Car: Current: 2005 Subaru STI.
(Former)1991 300zx NA 2+0
Project: 1998 Eclipse GST 6 bolt swap

I have power and my hatch is gutted with bald tires.

I know not on the streets but english town has the events in the parking lots with curbs and poles.

What kind of an entrance speed should i be looking at. 30-40mph?

Joe

grk nickafis wrote:
depends entirely on the track and your car.

read this.
drifting-faq-read-here-second-t139711.html

wannaslide
Car: r32 skyline

i dont mean to sound rude but the first thing i'd do is ditch the 300zx (as a drift car ) .but if your keen enough to slide that ,then get on a wet skid pan practice things like figure eights and donuts , but with your donuts try going around something (like traffic cone ect ) that way you will learn more control rather than just flat spinning . then when you start hitting the proper tracks remember theres no rush to be able to link every corner straight up , just take it easy learn a certain section first and then after a few weeks you should be able to link it all together .

nismo_200sx
Car: Nissan 200sx in progress of ca18det swap

ya what wannaslide said 300zx suck horribly at being a drift car. its too solid. drift cars need to bend and flex to absorb shock.

neverlift

stop bumping old thread for your post count..
a 300 can slide just fine, but seem to need a good amount of a**.

so with drift cars needing to flex and bend, people are putting in roll cages for looks?

nismo_200sx

they put cages in to protect their roof from decapitating them when the car rolls over hence a "roll" cage. stop hating i can post wherever i want. its called a forum.

neverlift

well kinda, they do it to stiffen the chassis as well, race cars dont want flex. Its not hating, it's telling you to stop posting false info for people who dont know you dont know what you are talking about...as well as to not bump a 3month old thread thats ran its course and is done.

impact240sx
Car: 1993 240sx Sr20det Gt2871R 2003 350z 1991 240sx Sr20det 2004 Land Rover DISCO

ROFL he wants his drift car to bend and flex during slides....... FAIL.

Drifters stitch weld the entire chassis for safty too huh?

nismo_200sx

i stitch welded my seams my car still flexes the same amount it just wont break s*** when it does. you wanna drift a solid rear axle and non independent suspension basically an s2k come back and tell me how it went

The_caveman
Car: 93 nissan 240sx hatch(daily build)
1992 Coupe (drift build)
1990 240sx hatch(wrecked slut)
2008 hyundai sonota - girls car/reliable! i drive it better tho ;)

lmao @ 300zx wont drift first time i rode with a guy really drifting (not just sqeuling tires and bashing my head against the window from crappy driving)

Was in a 300zx and dude was getting it

animal9944
Car: I gotta bunch my Cuzin owns a race team

This is how i learned Stunt Driving School But......find yourself an empty preferably a deserted or abandoned parking lot helps if its wet. dont start at a high speed but do about 20 mph then yank the wheel a 3/4 turn to your desired direction and get used to the movement of the car. then do it again only this time turn the wheel kick the clutch and countersteer while feathering the throttle trust me it works i've won plenty of competitions. u can also use your e-brake or u can use another method called heel toe but is alot harder to master i would recommend instead of kicking the clutch while learning u use the e-brake though any questions feel free to contact me

animal9944
Car: I gotta bunch my Cuzin owns a race team

grk nickafis wrote:I have power and my hatch is gutted with bald tires.

I know not on the streets but english town has the events in the parking lots with curbs and poles.

Entrance speed.......try 20-30 if your just starting thats wat we started at at stunt school

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

nismo_200sx wrote:ya what wannaslide said 300zx suck horribly at being a drift car. its too solid. drift cars need to bend and flex to absorb shock.
You are on CRACK.

If you want the most average drift car setup ever, you get stupidly stiff springs and shocks to match (aka coils for 240's) and slam it so you have crazy rear camber (less contact patch) and practice driving. It works well enough for an entry level car.

Ive drifted many many s13's, and I parted out my last s13 to build a 300zx (z31). You can drift a non turbo Z32 no sweat. Its better then a NA KA. Even though it has a VLSD, those are usually weak and dont hold too well. A welded diff or CLSD are what you need.

Watch the drift bible. Good thing to practice is donuts to figure 8's. Start with normal donuts, and in the middle of one, counter steer the other way and modulate the throttle to keep from spinning out. Best thing is going to events locally with some one that knows how to drive well ride in your car.

~Alex

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”