First Oil Change

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

I plan on changing my oil around 1000 miles for the first time.Any reason not to? I know one of my previous cars recomended going to 3500 miles before the first change, maybe it had special breakin oil.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Doing an early oil change right off the bat is usually a very good idea. Though I can't back it up with any facts on the matter, the train of thought is that a brand new engine is more likely to have metal shavings, small particles, and other debris caused by the breaking in process. Little bits that occur from the touching and rubbing and shearing that goes on when new pieces of metal get used to each other and their place in the engine. Those little bits will be picked up by the oil and hopefully contained in the filter and bottom of the oil pan.

So.. an oil change at 1000 or 1500 miles is a great way to ensure you get as many of those particles out of the engine as quickly and safely as possible.

I also recommend having your first couple service appointments done at a Nissan dealership. They will know the vehicles (especially the brand new Rogue) better than anyone.. and will be the best chance to catch any possible issues the quickest.

One more little side note: I'm a huge proponent of synthetic oil! But not in a brand spanking new car. Use standard non-synthetic oil for the first few oil changes before switching over to the synthetic oil.

amr40509

I plan to take the wife's new Rogue into the dealer at about 1k and get it changed (only because we have a free change) with conventional oil.

Then at 3750 go to Mobil 1 Syn. 5w30. It looks like it uses the same Nissan oil filter that my '06 Pathfinder does, which I buy in bulk online (have about 12-15 in the garage right now) so I'll be doing my own changes after the first free one.

I do tend to disagree w/ the statement about having oil changes done at the dealership. Personally I would rather be the one CAREFULLY turning the wrenches on my car then some kid at the dealership who doesn't give a flip about anything and will probably not be working there in 6 months anyways. It's not like you are going to get their top mechanics doing oil changes for you. That said, a monkey could do an oil change, so get some self satifcation out of spending a few min. of quality time under you car.

amr40509

Eikon wrote:One more little side note: I'm a huge proponent of synthetic oil! But not in a brand spanking new car. Use standard non-synthetic oil for the first few oil changes before switching over to the dyno oil.
BTW, I'm sure this was just a typo, but so that on one is confused -- dyno oil would be the same thing as non-synthetic, conventional, motor oil. Full synthetic is the good stuff ;-)

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

amr40509 wrote:
BTW, I'm sure this was just a typo, but so that on one is confused -- dyno oil would be the same thing as non-synthetic, conventional, motor oil. Full synthetic is the good stuff ;-)
oops.. yep typo.. thanks for catching that for me.

Glad to see you'll be doing your own oil changes! Great to see people who turn wrenches and maintain their own vehicles.

Ticmxman

amr40509 wrote:I plan to take the wife's new Rogue into the dealer at about 1k and get it changed (only because we have a free change) with conventional oil.

Then at 3750 go to Mobil 1 Syn. 5w30. It looks like it uses the same Nissan oil filter that my '06 Pathfinder does, which I buy in bulk online (have about 12-15 in the garage right now) so I'll be doing my own changes after the first free one.

I do tend to disagree w/ the statement about having oil changes done at the dealership. Personally I would rather be the one CAREFULLY turning the wrenches on my car then some kid at the dealership who doesn't give a flip about anything and will probably not be working there in 6 months anyways. It's not like you are going to get their top mechanics doing oil changes for you. That said, a monkey could do an oil change, so get some self satifcation out of spending a few min. of quality time under you car.
I plan to do my changes myself, I don't trust quick lube locations. I had a friend with a new Expedtion after a wash and oil change at quick lube he noticed it was viberating and took it to the dealer after a few tests they checked the oil level and found that it had 10 or so qts... the oil had never been drained they had added 5qts to the crankcase.

nissantech06
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

amr40509 wrote:I plan to take the wife's new Rogue into the dealer at about 1k and get it changed (only because we have a free change) with conventional oil.

You might be wrong about the filter, I'll check tomorrow. Nissan uses 3 filters at the moment, 65F0C ('07+ cars, 3.5L, 3.0L), 9E000 ('07+ trucks, 4.0L, 5.6L) and the 55Y00 (older VG30, VQ30, GA16, KA24). I'm pretty sure they use the 65F0C on the 2.5.

As far as a monkey doing an oil change, I've seen many "do it your selfers" screw them up. I still do oil changes at my work, but that's because I can make money on looking the car over (please, no comments about robbery, I'm not a crook, I really am honest, ask anyone who knows me). I don't believe in giving the new kids OCs because one loose drain plug (a-la Jiffy Lube) and the car needs an engine.

amr40509

nissantech06 -- you are a scholar and a gentleman -- thanks for looking up that part number for me.

I did a quick search (just used Autozone's site) and they listed the 2.5L Altima as the same filter as my 4.0L '06 Pathfinder, but I can't say I trust that! I use the 9E000 on my truck.

Also, on a related note, will it be the same oil pan crush washer (little brass one) that I use on my Pathy?

I am just a little skeptical about my local dealer in that I went in to get the crush gaskets (I'm sure there is a better name for them) to the parts desk to do my 30K mile front/rear diff. and transfer case fluid changes (per the manual if you tow, and I do tow a boat all summer). The service guide specifically stated that you do NOT reuse these. Turns out they had no idea about this part, have never had to order them, and the techs out in the shop always just reuse the old ones. I don’t know if this is laziness, not keeping the part in stock, or saving the $2 each….but I’d rather take my time and do it at home.

Ticmxman

My dealer called Nissan... (the oil filter didn't show up in the computer yet).. Nissan told my dealer the Rogue uses 15208-65F00

mag318
Car: Nissan Rogue

I use Mobil 1 right from the get go on my first oil change. I've used it on my last several vehicles and not only will you get better mileage but increased longevity. Many new vehicles now come from the factory with it as original oil. Until my Rogue I was driving a 2005 Murano and got an average of 25/27 on the highway and I expect the Rogue to do even better once broken in.
Modified by mag318 at 2:53 PM 10/14/2007

Ticmxman

Who do you use to get your parts from online?

nissantech06

Ticmxman wrote:My dealer called Nissan... (the oil filter didn't show up in the computer yet).. Nissan told my dealer the Rogue uses 15208-65F00
That's the old part number. Nissan has since used the 65F0A, 65F01, 65F0B, and now it's a 65F0C.

Ticmxman

nissantech06 wrote:
That's the old part number. Nissan has since used the 65F0A, 65F01, 65F0B, and now it's a 65F0C.
So do you think the filter I have is OK to use?

amr40509

Ticmxman wrote:
Who do you use to get your parts from online?
I've used http://www.courtesyparts.com/ several times. No listing for Rogue parts on there yet, but I'm sure there will be at some point soon.

Still waiting on that part number though, looks like the '06 Altima would have used the same filter as my Pathfinder -- looks like '07 is the new filter. Assume it's probably 15208-L3135 that I'll need to match the '08 Rogue, but I'll wait and see.

nissantech06

Ticmxman wrote:
So do you think the filter I have is OK to use?
If it's the smaller of the two, the 65F00 or 65F0C (same one) yes.

The 2.5L Altima pre '07 and the 4.0L Pathfinder both use the 9E000.

Ticmxman

nissantech06 wrote:
If it's the smaller of the two, the 65F00 or 65F0C (same one) yes.

The 2.5L Altima pre '07 and the 4.0L Pathfinder both use the 9E000.
Thanks. It is the small filter.

Return to “Rogue Forum”