First Annual NICO Tail Of The Dragon 2010

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
slydewayz503
Car: 91 240sx-drft whore
97 240sx-daily beauty

Damn this seems hella fun. Too bad i wont be able to make it.

mazspd6
Car: 1984 Nissan 720 4x4 5 spd
1996 Maxima SE 5spd

My brother and I will be joining you for the meet at the Dragon. We are reserved at the Robbinsville Microtel for Saturday night.

We will be arriving on Saturday mid-morning to join up with everyone but we will need to know what the itinerary is for the meet so we can be on time. I work on Friday and we will be driving out to Charlotte that evening, then onto Deals Gap/Robbinsville area on Saturday.

I will have my '96 Maxima 5spd and my brother will have his '03 Altima 3.5 5spd so it should be fun trying to get traction coming out of the corners without alot of wheelspin!!

I am hoping to get my urethane motor mounts and Y-pipe in by then on the Maxy, but we'll see.

Thanks,
Tom and Jay

Koshin
Car: JP'd out Y32 Gloria GTU, 750 hp '87 Grand National, '63 Impala SS 327/4 speed

sooooo, why are you guys saying your Tiburon's are RWD? I dont understand

jgauspohl
Car: 97' S14 SR24VET
92' S13 S14 SR20DET
90' Golf GTI
91' S13 siltruck project

RED_DET wrote:So what is the majority of folks driving and what type of brake setups? 300zx setups or what? I can bring brake pads but need to know what for specifically.
I'm good on brakes...I've made tons of passes and never had fade at all (iron 30mm front and rear z32 w r33 cables ss lines and top notch fluid)...plus I'll be slapping on the brand spankin new set of EBC yellows for some extra stopping power :woot: (btw never brake on the paint...we used to have SEDA meets up there and I remember a hatch with a rb20 joining the junkyard prematurely :nono: )...provided I get the beast running by then...dunno if the hatch is going to make it though...I'm selling the ka this weekend and paying car payments...btw work is going good...I'm working every day doubles till the 28th...so I should be able to make it...hopefully. :mike

bRadical
Car: maroon 95 240 RB inside (Eatn By The Dragon)
black 95 240 RB25inside (running by 11-18-10)

i may... have access to a disgustingly sick sony HD camera... my buddy (who works the local tv stations cameras) has a badass cam n might be comin with me to get some video... also a friend thats a great photographer might come down in his boatly g8gt for a day or so... pictures and videos of all this epicness will be need'd :woot:

sentrastace
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

ah godddd this looks amazing but its basically the same distance for when i drove to nicofest nashville....

Sil240

mzspd6 -
Cool!!! FWD representing
Make sure your brakes are good and your fluid is new.
Those heavy cars may heat up the fluid quickly.

Yeah put the Y pipe in.
I was into Maxy's back in the day.
I had a 95 GLE for a short short while. lol (long story)

Jgauspohl - Work hard this month so we can play even harder up in there.

Bradical - NICE!!!! You definitely gotta post up those pics and vids!!!!

Sentrastace - Your in MD... its not that far from you...
I'm 14 hours away....
Its not everyday you can run with Skylines, and Skyline powered 240s along with the rest of the Nissan crew.

AUGUST 6TH IS THE LAST DAY TO BOOK YOUR HOTEL!!!!! ****NICO GROUP 2010***

good2go_240
Car: 1993 Black 240sx Hatch - SOLD
1994 White 240sx Vert - R.I.P.
1993 Burgundy 240sx Hatch - DD

Illl defiantly be attending this but i wont be lodging but im game to ride with nico on it. Ive done a group ride on the dragon before and a good plan is to meet up at the walmart thats at the beginning of the dragon so everyone can catch up and fuel up, theres several gas stations, restaurants and banks or whatever youd need right there before the dragon so thats just an idea for it

sdtenn
Car: 97 240sx base

ill b there im in maryville area and have rode many times...looking foward to coming in my 97 kouki

Sil240

good2go240 -
Great!!
This Walmart, is it on the NC side or the TN side?

Saturday were going to have a BBQ/Carshow/Swap meet.
Were going to need to get supplies and food etc..
I was told by Fontana Village that the closest town was 22 miles away & to bring groceries. They do have a small grocery store there, but it probably expensive and might not have enough for all of us.

sdtenn -
Make sure you come out Saturday for the BBQ/Carshow/Swap meet.

I'm going to make another thread with contact info and caravan info.

Hellion240sx
Car: 1992 240sx se

I CAN honestly say... IT IS ABOUT TIME THE 240 SCENE WENT UP THERE! i just got back from miatas at the gap 14! it was an amazing experience.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BE CAREFUL. THERE IS NO ROOM FOR ERROR!!!!! one side is mountain hill. other side on coming traffic from blind turns and the a fall from the cliff. we had about close to 400 miatas out there this event. from what i was told. this past event was the second year i went. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure your car is running correctly. no oil leaks please. tires aren't close to exploding. these are different rules here. brakes are in great working conditions, pads rotors and all. treat it like a road course. not trying to scarte anyone, but both years i went one person died and there were two accidents this year. so please be careful. i'm treally glad to hear that ya'll are doing this. there are many drives yup there that are breath taking. looking forward to going with my 240 one year. but since the miata trop was this year i'm good on that right now. just looking forward to next years trip. maybe i can make the next one. this evnt will only get bigger. my suggestion is go the speed limit first, so yopu can get used to it and realize how sharp and curvy this road is :) well actually all of them!

flohtingPoint
Car: 2004 Z16 Corvette Z06

Hellion240sx wrote: my suggestion is go the speed limit first
How about every time. It's a public road, not a race track. You know why one person died each time you went? Because they were treating it as the latter. It'd be a travesty if the NICO name was attached to an event where folks were driving like ***holes and permanently injured or killed someone. I doubt anyone is signing waivers (especially folks just driving through there unassociated with this forum) and I'm sure some lawyer could find a way to attack Greg and Becky should something horrible happen under the guise that it was a sponsored event from NICO.

Sil240

Hellion240sx - Thanks for the Heads up!!

flohtingPoint wrote:
Hellion240sx wrote: my suggestion is go the speed limit first
How about every time. It's a public road, not a race track. You know why one person died each time you went? Because they were treating it as the latter. It'd be a travesty if the NICO name was attached to an event where folks were driving like ***holes and permanently injured or killed someone. I doubt anyone is signing waivers (especially folks just driving through there unassociated with this forum) and I'm sure some lawyer could find a way to attack Greg and Becky should something horrible happen under the guise that it was a sponsored event from NICO.
Flotingpoint - I think he meant treat it like a race track in car maintenance and preparation.

Again:

"Anyone that is planning to come out and be apart of this group, WILL be SAFE.
Safety is the #1 priority for this trip, a lot of things can happen.

If anyone would like to do anything stupid, please have enough respect for the rest of the group and go ahead somewhere else.
If your old enough to drive and come out, your old enough to be responsible for your actions.
I will not be policing anyone nor will I be babysitting anyone."

Sil240

Double Post!!!!

OK Guys I just posted up yet another thread.

In it is Contact info for caravans, what you need to bring for the BBQ and for the trip and the Agenda for the trip.

Please go to this thread and post up!!!!

Thanks!

nico-tail-of-the-dragon-info-before-you-go-t504504.html

good2go_240

Sil240 - the walmart is in maryville on the TN side

tigersharkdude
Car: 1999 Nissan Maxima

hopefully I can make it

Hellion240sx
Car: 1992 240sx se

lets be real. no one is going to go the speed limit. you have to go out there. i'm sure i can say not one car has not gone the speed limit on the interstate, hwy, back roads... this road is no different. ppl are going to get careless. just don't over do it. you'll go 5 mph over some will go 10 mph over, some even 17 mph over. my friend got a ticket on the dragon cause SHE Was doing 47 mph... the bikes are the ones who really push it 60-70 scrapping knees on the ground. there are parts where its like, really 30 mph??? where she got caught was around wasn't too curvy it was coming back onto the nc side. but hse decided to push it a little. she got a warning ticket cause she thought the SL was 45 mph. which there is a sign that says 45 but it's before you get on the dragon on the way back rfrom the tenn side. i just want everyone to have fun and to not get hurt. i don't know many ppl that drive 35 mph on the road anywhere. usually ppl go 5-10 over. but i know what you mean. not only that. ppl that aren't there that puch their cars are to blame. i have about 8 gig of footage i have to go through to find a particular pic. i was behind a honda oddessy that was constantly crossing the yelow line! i was like no way1 and there was a truck that was hauling a boat on that road that was crossing the double yellow as well... so it's not ppl driving crazy that could kill or harm others. it's just that dangerous. they have 18 wheelers that are allowed on the road. you need to check out the pics. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon_trucks.html

also you have to think of the wild animals that are out there as well. one could run out in front of you. especially at night.

i don't condon driving crazy, but pushing it a little will happen.

tigersharkdude

kind of off topic but it applys to the area. When I was down near the border of TN, GA and NC, I seen a flat black boosted S13 with no front bumper, the FMIC was HUGE. Anybody know who it was?

knoxvillenismo
Car: '90 Nissan 240SX hatch. (sold)
'95 240SX S14 5speed. (sold)
back in the '90 hatch. ;)

me and my brother hit the dragon at least once a month. there is not the slightest doubt we wont be there. COUNT US IN!!!! i love US 129. as for the "friendly to lowered cars" statement...i beg to differ.. there are some mean elevation changes up there and if your super low, you can bank on your frame catching some ground action and that could be catastrophic..

Sil240

Knoxvillenismo- I've just added you to the list. See you out there.

Tigersharkdude - Come on out. So far were gonna have about 30-35 Nissans out there

knoxvillenismo

awesome. cant wait!

tigersharkdude

It all depends on $$$$$$$$$$$$$

punkfarmer83
Car: 96 nissan 240sx

anybody coming from pa????? i want to go but im poor... i think im gonna go and just sleep in muh car :) lol but ya if anybody from pa is going i think im gonna come friday nightish and drive sat and part of sun and go home sunday night sooooo keep me posted maybe i can be the farthest drive?? its like 14 hrs from where im at

good2go_240

theres about 5 or so people from the sportscarfrenzy (local car group in knoxville and maryville going) i think there also members on here but i didnt see them register on here but the did on the SCF website. have there been any more finite details of what going on saturday because thats the only day me and sdtenn will be going, hopefully we can go through the dragon that day

punkfarmer83
Car: 96 nissan 240sx

this is gonna be a long drive with nobody around... lol

drksolest
Car: 91 240sx coupe

good2go_240 wrote:theres about 5 or so people from the sportscarfrenzy (local car group in knoxville and maryville going) i think there also members on here but i didnt see them register on here but the did on the SCF website. have there been any more finite details of what going on saturday because thats the only day me and sdtenn will be going, hopefully we can go through the dragon that day
anyone-coming-thru-chattanooga-for-deal ... 03888.html

we r gonna try n' meet up as well...

SpeedshifterNC
Car: 1993 240 Turbo, 1995 Neon 2.4 turbo, 94 LS1 swap camaro, 98 Z28, 04 Superduty

I may be there saturday but I don't know if I'll bring the 93..not sure if it'll be ready in time

Sil240

ATTENDING - Please let me know how many people you are bringing, and What your bringing.

1. Sickness14 (July - Raleigh, NC) <------------------------------------Attending
2. Coolwhip ( - Orlando, FL) <------------------------------------Attending
3. Cjmartz2k ( - Kernersville, NC)
4. S14-NEO ( - Vero Beach, FL)
5. TECHLINE08 ( - Raleigh, NC)
6. LargeKid ( - Indianapolis, IN)
7. Gawdzilla ( - )
8. Robbie2883 ( - Niceville, FL)
9. Boosted98gst ( - Marrysville, OH)
10. Kevwa ( - Manlius, NY) <------------------------------------Attending
11. RustspecS13 ( - Columbus, OH) <------------------------------------Attending
12. HVP014 ( - Wilmington, NC) <------------------------------------Attending - Matt - 814-418-0305
13. DFTsilvia ( - Buffalo, NY)
14. Darius ( - Iowa)
15. Sil240 ( - Ft. Lauderdale, FL) <------------------------------------Attending
16. Synergy
17. Jrock7885
18. Rbosacco
19. Koolkillerlook
20. Built2slide
21. Mott6904
22. EvilS14 <------------------------------------Attending
23. L0nestar (- Indianapolis, IN) <------------------------------------Attending
24. Meet07
25. StricNyne (NJ) <------------------------------------Attending
26. Tmjhillz
27. TwoJayZee240
28. 240sxCoupeRB25
29. 240AceX
30. Mistaken
31. Neejay (Stockbridge, GA)
32. Lazyboi444 (Alpharetta, GA)
33. Nissanlover23 (Fayetteville, NC)
34. Cameron (Buford, GA)
35. Wanganwarrior (Mike - Birmingham, AL)
36. Thatbumguy (Thomas - Birmingham, AL)
37. Cidate
38. bRadical (Charlotte, NC) <------------------------------------Attending - Brian - 407-973-2051 Charcoal & Lighter Fluid
39. RalphsDiorama (boulder, CO)
40. D356bud. +1<------------------------------------Attending - Dustin - 570-637-2233 - Binghamton, NY
41. toadx8u <------------------------------------Attending - Todd - 302-416-0577 - Delaware
2 Fold up tables
42. drksolest <------------------------------------Attending
43. red_det <------------------------------------Attending - +1 - 502-718-1700
44. carlh <------------------------------------Attending
45. nelson8708 <------------------------------------Attending
46. morb <------------------------------------Attending - VA - 804-721-7145
47. brock864 <------------------------------------Attending - Corey - 864-980-5678 - Greenwood, SC
48. busybadger - maybe
49. pepegurr <------------------------------------Attending
50. good2go_240<------------------------------------ +5Attending
51. sdtenn<------------------------------------Attending
52. mazspd6<------------------------------------Attending
53. jgauspohl<------------------------------------Attending
54. slagithor<------------------------------------Attending
55. engulfingflame<------------------------------------Attending
56. stepheng +1 <--------------------------Attending - Stephen @ 903-240-9257 Dallas, TX
57. mind-numb robot -
58. knoxvillenismo +1 <------------------------Attending A cooler w/ Ice and some drinks
59. tigersharkdude <--------------------------------Maybe
60. punkfarmer83 <------------------------Maybe
61. speedshifternc <------------------------ Attending
62. freeze <------------------------ Attending + some
63. shelnut <------------------------ Maybe
Last edited by Sil240 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sil240

Punkfarmer - Turn on your PM's

Check out this thread here:
nico-tail-of-the-dragon-info-before-you-go-t504504.html

All the Caravan info is there, you may be able to hook up with the NJ guys further down.
I'm not sure where you are.
Contact Stricnyne, I know he's rolling with a group of cars.

knoxvillenismo

Sil240, could you post up a list of things you need people to bring so we can start checking s*** off?

Return to “General Chat”