Finally getting my windows tinted.

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
DejaWiz
Car: See sig for details.

marleyfan wrote:As far as I know, mirror tinting is illegal just about everywhere. You may not care...just thought I'd point it out.
Depends on the state, actually. There are laws in place that state what the maximum amount of reflectivity may be.

For instance, Nebraska allows a max of 35% reflectivity.http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/NE/
daan wrote:Deja, your V looks GREAT. I wanna get my windows tinted, and after seeing yours, I know it'll look OK.
Thanks! Please do as much research as you can before going to any 'ole shop. The quality of both the tint film and the installation will make or break it. The link I posted above has some great info on tint films. 3M isn't on there, but they do carry a color stable film that carries a lifetime warranty against discoloring and fading, just like the Black Chrome I got (except it won't have nearly the reflectivity).
lain wrote:I wish the sky looked like that in Los Angeles.
That's one thing I will give a nod to for Nebraska/Omaha.
my_new_v wrote:Yeah yeah same thing :P lol

I took a look at the sticker that displays what all they put on the vehicle when its at the dealer cause I still have it and it was a dealer option.
Hehe....

Gr8dave37
Car: 2008 Blue Onyx Versa S

I have to say that Yes...when considering tint PLEASE do your homework but once again be VERY careful about 3rd party websites that supposedly know the law like the one above. Once again I can only talk first hand about California as that is where I live and did my homework for. The infor on this website is incorrect. I called and talked to the California Highway Patrol directly, as well as looked at their website. Whereas on the website listed above states a 70% tint is allowable in CA, per the CHP NO tint on the front windows is allowed.

Please when using a source of information be sure to check with the ones that will be enforcing the law in your state.

Here is the cut and paste from Nebraska .....

1) It shall be unlawful for a person to drive a motor vehicle required to be registered in this state upon a highway:

(a) If the windows in such motor vehicle are tinted so that the driver's clear view through the windshield or side or rear windows is reduced or the ability to see into the motor vehicle is substantially impaired;

(b) If the windshield has any sunscreening material that is not clear and transparent below the AS-1 line or if it has a sunscreening material that is red, yellow, or amber in color above the AS-1 line;

(c) If the front side windows have any sunscreening or other transparent material that has a luminous reflectance of more than thirty-five percent or has light transmission of less than thirty-five percent;

(d) If the rear window or side windows behind the front seat have sunscreening or other transparent material that has a luminous reflectance of more than thirty-five percent or has light transmission of less than twenty percent except for the rear window or side windows behind the front seat on a multipurpose vehicle, van, or bus; or
Modified by Gr8dave37 at 7:17 AM 7/3/2008

DejaWiz
Car: See sig for details.

Yes, tint laws do change from year to year, so it's best to check with the state or a local tint shop.

The website is 100% accurate with NE's laws.

Windshield - above AS1 lineFront Sides - 35%Rear Sides - 20%Rear - 20%Reflectivity - 35%

No red, amber, yellow colors.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”