Finally bought it after months of research, let me know what do you all think.

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
sanioll
Car: 240SX SE - Toyota Camry

here i'm trying to fix the cracking sound by minimizing plastic to plastic rubbing by applying teflon tape around the corners and edges of the base.

sanioll

MinisterOfDoom likes this company's products. Well, i gotta agree with you pal, it performs well for 3D graphical entertaiment applications.

sanioll

And a little education shouldn't hurt you guys at all.

sanioll

so yeah, this is how internals of a modern laptop looks like these days.

PoorManQ45

very nice. You can use spray on rubber to get a better affect then the teflon tape.

That might be a little messy though. I suggest duct tape.

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

haha i wouldve done that a long time ago to mine, but the screws are soldered in...

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Nice.

I guess the older Dells were more solidly built. My old Latitude CPx is indestructible...no sounds from the case...although the display's a bit dim when used outside.

Nice pics anyhow, it's interesting to see how laptop internals are evolving. Not the extremely purpose-built shape of the video card. Built by dell, using ATI components, just for that model case with those internals and that specific monitor. You don't get that kind of specialization in parts with a desktop.

But then, that has one major drawback: there are no true ATI Catalyst drivers for that card, you use Dell's version, which is not quite as manipulatable or stable. But ATI can't make drivers for every single machine/card/monitor combo, so it's left to Dell to do that part.

Question for you:When that laptop is running, if you click the "safely remove device" icon in the taskbar icon tray on the right, does your CD/DVDROM or floppy drive (if you have on, and it's in) show up? My roommate and I both have Dells, same basic "tech era" (his is PII450, mine's PIII500) both running WinXPHome (bleh!) and his does not show this while mine does...I'm curious as to why it's different...

sanioll

well i clicked on safely remove the hardware, and couple secs later it said now you can remove it safely. the fact is that you dont need to click that button to remove it, just pull it out, just like usb device.

anyways, it didn't show up in my computer, so cd drive was gone after clicking that on taskbar. i removed cd drive and put it back in, and we're back in business.

regarding drivers from dell. i dont understand how can you customize drivers for a certain screen. the driver actually has to recognize screen, its default resolution and be set up for it.

for example, i got wide screen and running on 1280x800, perfect for everything and it doesnt hurt your eyes. as for optimizing drivers for certain lcd sscreens, dell or whatever maker must include drivers for lcd screen, so that graphic drivers can recognize and optmize itself for it. thus enabling users to update from ATI site when necessary.

THIS IS WHY I LOVE NVIDIA'S ROCK SOLID ROBUST DRIVERS. no offense.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Perhaps Catalyst has been improved since the old Mobile Rage Pro I've got...but with my Rage you have to get either special multi-funciton, as-is drivers from ATI or find the actual Dell-created ones, because all LCD screens are different. Pixel counts are different...dimensions are not exact, aspect ratios are not the same (this is ONLY with laptops) so there's no practical way to jam all the different commands into one big set of drivers. But maybe there is now...I just know that when I updated mine to be able to run the HL Hi-Def pack a while back, it was hell hunting down the right drivers.

sanioll

actually thats how it is with dell. i recently reinstalled everything, noticed after format that i'm missing god damn drivers cd, which dell was supposed to include.

so went to ati's site for graphic drivers and got forwarded to dell. i can get them from dell only. why, i dont know. i just told you the solution above, so i dont get why its not being implemented.

with nvidia, attach any lcd you want, doesn't matter. it will recognize assuming drivers for lcd is loaded, and set itself for that screen.

but, overall i love 9600 pro turbo very much. cant go wrong with 330mhz core and 128 mb of memory.

it just gets hot, and i blame it on dell's thermal pads. when i get time, iwill simply put artic silver under the hood.

PoorManQ45

sanioll wrote:so went to ati's site for graphic drivers and got forwarded to dell. i can get them from dell only. why, i dont know. i just told you the solution above, so i dont get why its not being implemented.
That is because your graphics "card" is specifically made for your laptop. Even though it may have the same specifications as a standard desktop varient, it is not the same thing, and therefore does not operate with the same drivers

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Thanks, PMQ, that's what I was trying to say.Makes perfect sense to me.

sanioll

PoorManQ45 wrote:That is because your graphics "card" is specifically made for your laptop. Even though it may have the same specifications as a standard desktop varient, it is not the same thing, and therefore does not operate with the same drivers
that sucks.

we need some standardtization regular shape graphic cards for lapptops. so we can do the swap when its time for upgrade. for example, right now, i would gladly drop in ati mobility 9700 128Mb. i can't, why? becuase specialization suckssssssssssssssssssss!!

nissanforlife
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37X

yep.. so much for warrantee.. . rofl...

not that i haven't been there...

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

screw the warantee. There's very little that can go wrong that Dell can fix and I can't. Just replacement of physical parts...everything else I can do myself, better, quicker, and for free.

sanioll

WARRANTY IS STILL ACTIVE...

JustinStrife
Car: '99 FRC. 402, Vortech T-Trim @ 12psi = 706rwhp/621rwtq

I paid 2000 grand used from a friend for my Alienware laptop. P4 3.2ghz, 1gb Ram, 60gb 5400rpm drive, 16" screen, 128mb ATI Radeon 9700 video, DVDRW, built in wireless, yada yada yada. I'll try and post pics one of these days when I get off my a**. It's a killer comp though. Blows my AMD XP2000+ desktop out of the water in everything but burning stuff(stupid laptop writers are slooowwww).

Nice to see what these things finally look like under the hood. Freaky sorta.

sanioll

JustinStrife wrote:I paid 2000 grand used from a friend for my Alienware laptop.
dumbass!! for $2000 you can get almost twice as fast and cooler running laptop from dell now. shop around before you buy anything!!
JustinStrife wrote:P4 3.2ghz
desktop chip on a laptop. Well another mistake, unless its gonna sit on your desk and will be used on your all the time.

Because say goodbye to battery life and cooler laptop. You gonna loose your sperm count while typing with it on your lap.

sanioll

hey, hey, UPDATES:

WHEN I SAY SOMETHING IS MADE CHEAP. IT MEANS IT IS MADE CHEAP DAMMIT!!

LCD SCREEN, NORMAL OPEN STATE:

sanioll

LCD SCREEN, WHILE I'M TRYING TO CLOSE IT. LOOK HOW MUCH STRESS IS PLACED ON IT. COLORS HAS CHANGED, CAN BE CRACKED EASILY IF NOT CLOSED FROM THE CENTER. COURTESY OF DELL'S CHEAP CASE!! my hand is on the right top side.

sanioll

also, some people say, their laptop's screen on the bottom leaks some light. Builshitt, no such thing. It simply caused by heat. warm up any spots on lcd screen and it'll get lighter. on a black screen its gonna look like its is leaking some light. cool it down, it will be gone.

i'll see if can snap some pic when its hot.

Return to “Others”