FFR's 380whp goal Thread

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
Z32TT
Car: 90' 300ZX TT

FFr,There not rumors(especially from what i know and just told you), there is more then enough info documented on the boards with pics etc... You cant really base alot of products just a over a 6month time frame, that really isn't that long for a review to be honest. If you could score the most superb deal on the manis that would be the only item to really purchase. Btw GL with those AMS fuel rails, soon as i saw the worm clamps they had me bought....SMH.

ffrpwner
Car: 1994 300zx n/a (sold)
1992 300zx tt

oh my god oh my god oh my god....why the f*** do you guys keep saying s***? ive made it obvious to you guys that i am getting all these parts!!! and i will review each part that i use!! i never told you what parts i were going to use....as of right now the manifolds, piping and bovs are the only thing i plan on using! It was a package deal!!!! ill end up selling the radiator probably and ill try the oil cooler but im not sure yet...the fuel rails i will be selling for sure. seriously you guys are making me feel like s***.....vikes im not an idiot so i did not appreciate that at all try to be less of a jerk! Im using the manifolds if you have a problem with that then go cry somewhere else ok. oh no the manifolds flow a little less then msp boo hoo they still flow way better then stock and like everyone does i will bore the f*** out as much as i can...you cant f*** up silicon hoses im sorry but you really cant. also i thought id try the bovs to see what they were like. and ill try the oil cooler too just to see if it does the job.

vikesfan im not supporting ams and im not trying to fix or do my part to fix a problem that will never change im doing whats good for me and when im getting all these parts which add up to 1600 not 5k for 800 bucks plus free shipping then i cant complain...

just stop it i get it ams is s*** and i now have s*** parts oh well my s*** manifolds and s*** silicon piping and s*** bovs will most likely make my car s*** and slower then it is now....and everyone will laugh at me....

oh and i just used 6month as an example i would keep updating

im sorry my build and car is not up to your guys standards and all this crap has made me seem like the wimpiest and most unrespected mod out there but hey thats cool thanks guys your great :dblthumb:

whatever im done with this crap....im not a spokesperson for ams im just saying everyone copies s*** and sometimes the copied item is just as good or close to being as good as the "original" and ams has more publicity and its name is out there more then all the other "ebay brand" stuff.

Z32TT

^ You keep saying you cant mess up silicone hoses.., yea you can if it is poorly put together, they should be a good amount of ply and well reinforced to with stand large amounts of pressure/collapsing. I dont know how AMS are, im sure its fine i can only speak for the other products that they make.

bartZ32tt
Car: 1990 300zx twin turbo, 1996 7.3 powerstroke

So many people are boasting to be "helping" others out by pushing them in the right direction. But when it turns into personal attacks or reduntancy, it's no longer helpful and you've lost respect in the point you're trying to prove. State your point, provide facts, defend yourself if need be but this whole trend of followers of a certain brand/product trying to convert all "non-believers" to no end is irritatingly harassing and borderline Jahova's Witness-esque. It's cool to support the innovators, but it's also a free market to choose their competition if the price is marked up too high (I'm speaking in general; not towards MSP vs AMS). I believe AMS has poorly made manifolds because I saw the thread on tt.net about one instance with an exhaust leak that was caused by a hole in the manifold. Reasons like this are good cause for constructive proposals of opinion; not solely price/innovation.

How many of us shop at walmart? They are one of the most corrupt businesses in America yet everyone continues to shop there. How annoying would it be if a group of us started arguing to shop at wholefood's whenever walmart was brought up? I hope my point is made clear.

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

... :wtf2:
Last edited by BigTDogg (MA) on Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigTDogg (MA)

ffrpwner wrote:oh and im getting all these parts for the price of one set of manifolds from mike smith...if i wasnt getting this deal would i be getting all these parts maybe but probably not all of them but i would still be getting the manifolds no doubt.
Kinda makes you wonder how much their cost is if they cut that much fat out of it for a "sponsorship", doesn't it?

It's your car, enjoy it. :facepalm:
ffrpwner wrote: i will review each part that i use!!
So?
ffrpwner wrote:vikesfan im not supporting ams
But, you are. You buy their stuff, at whatever price, and you're supporting them.
ffrpwner wrote:im sorry my build and car is not up to your guys standards and all this crap has made me seem like the wimpiest and most unrespected mod out there but hey thats cool thanks guys your great...im not a spokesperson for ams im just saying everyone copies s*** and sometimes the copied item is just as good or close to being as good as the "original" and ams has more publicity and its name is out there more then all the other "ebay brand" stuff.
Remove emotion from the situation for a minute. I'm not insulting you or your car. I understand everyone has different financial situations. I'm saying if you want to do a build on your car, do it right. Research, take your time and plan your build. What's the rush? Is your car running good now? I realize now you've driven your car more than 3 times, as the post I was referencing was from June. You do realize that replacing the manifolds requires an engine pull right? What turbos are you going to do? Motor mounts? Gaskets? Getting a new EFI harness? What other maintenance items do you have planned? The to-do list for an engine pull is very long, and you want to compile a checklist before you start so you don't miss things.

Bart, Walmart analogies don't work here. Why? Because the Z32 market is a diminishing market; there are no more cars being made. People are totaling them and there are less of them on the road. When a company copies stuff for this type of market, the innovator passion is greatly reduced. When the innovators stop making new stuff, AMS will have no one left to copy.

The copies are no where near as good. Why? Because they send the original to China and say "here, make this". Having worked with Chinese manufacturers for many, many years, I can assure you the products are garbage. AMS never said what their manifolds are made of. Never. Why? Because they probably don't even know. Never mind the fact that AMS doesn't even inspect their outgoing products, as shown by the poor guy who got a set of manifolds with a hole in them.

So let's recap: no engineering, no quality assurance, and no respect or caring for the end user... yup, sign me up, AMS sounds awesome :dblthumb:

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

Alright. This isnt even worth it.

I did do my check list the efi harness is brand new i have all the gaskets i need to replace for the engine pull and ive made a list of all the deletes i will be doing what i need to relocate the battery and the parts i need to completely delete hicas. If you guys really feel this passionantly toward it i guess ill knock my build back a couple of years. ill just pull the motor replace the stock turbos with new stock ones or stock ones in better condition then mine upgrade the intercoolers and injectors and thats it.

I mean what fun is my car gunna be if everyone is gunna s*** on me because i have ams parts.

vikesfankevin1986
Car: 1995 300ZX TT

ffrpwner wrote: I mean what fun is my car gunna be
How much "fun" are you looking for? All I have is Popcharger, JWT ECU, catback, flywheel and dps. The car is crazy fast. I lose traction when I floor it in second gear. There has only been 1 car to day that has pulled me on the highway. I beat my cocky friends 2010 Mustang GT. That's like a 35,000 dollar car that he has 5 grand out into. Beating that is FUN. Beating a trans am is fun and beating a 2010 dodge challenger is fun. A few minor upgrades and that car will scream. That's not even mentioning that you can still get an UD pulley for like 200 bucks and test pipes for 300 or so. You could even go with a 1 piece driveshaft for 200-300 bucks. Your car will destroy 90% of the stuff you run into. If your goal is to be the fastest out there you will never win. What happens if an evo rapes you after you do these upgrades? Then is 450rwhp not enough? Then do you need to go for 600rwhp? I will give my friend credit in 1 aspect...Even though he is cocky and always has to win or be right, he is happy with his car. Even though mine is faster he doesn't want to do anymore with it. He said he is happy with it now and it is fast enough to wax most people and he doesn't feel like pumping more money into it. That's a great attitude. Find a spot that will make you happy.
One final question. Do you know what 450rwhp feels like in a car? The difference between having dps/flywheel and not scared the s*** out of me. One a cool night I can break tires loose on the highway in 3rd. That is scary. My car is inbetween 290-320rwhp. I am scared to feel what 400rwhp will be like. I don't know where I am going to get big enough tires. It may be more than you want or can handle. A lot of people hurt or kill themselves going fast in cars. If your car goes sideways at 70, watch out. A guy I work with just put his grand am into a fire hydrant doing 90 in a neighborhood and totaled his car (I was more impressed he got the car going that fast.)
Maybe it is better to build it up slowly and learn to handle it slowly. RIght now you probably have one of the faster cars out on the road.

vikesfankevin1986

ffrpwner wrote: vikesfan im not supporting ams and im not trying to fix or do my part to fix a problem that will never change im doing whats good for me and when im getting all these parts which add up to 1600 not 5k for 800 bucks plus free shipping then i cant complain...
When I say 5k plus this is what I mean...If you add up the prices of this stuff at like importpartspro it comes to around $4,000 and thats taking middle/low prices of stuff. And I didn't even add up everything on that list. That isn't even including your custom made dps and intercooler piping or your dual air intake (which if you get the Selin kit, is around 600 bucks.) 5k plus means what you would pay at a normal place...not AMS pricing. Are you seeing the amazing deal you are getting? How are they even making money? They are giving the stuff to you. And I told you in a pervious post about if something seems too good to be true...
AMS Manifolds
AMS Race Pulley
AMS Wp Pulley
AMS Radiator
AMS Racing Fuel Rails
AMS Oil cooler
AMS Race BOV Kit
AMS Silicon Radiator Hose
AMS Silicon Intake Hoses
AMS HICAS Eliminator

740cc injectors possibly 550 or 555cc injectors
Front Mount Intercooler
Boost Controller
Bee r launch control
Custom dyno tune
SAFC
Wideband o2 sensors
Boost gauge
Air to fuel gauge

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

Actually right now I barely brake loose in first all I have is test pipes cat back pop charger and jwt ecu pop upgrade. I guess if I can get to 370 ill be cool and I've driven around in my friends 700whp sti and I've driven my other friends 500whp supra so I'm aware of how fast anything over 350rwhp is for a street car but right now my car doesn't scare me and that's what's I want haha but I get it if you guys are really this against ams they must be doing something wrong. I'm still in consideration of the manifolds but yeah idk. I'm still gunna do this build but ill push it back a year so I can to a motor rebuild at the same time

bartZ32tt
Car: 1990 300zx twin turbo, 1996 7.3 powerstroke

BigTDogg (MA) wrote:
The copies are no where near as good. Why? Because they send the original to China and say "here, make this". Having worked with Chinese manufacturers for many, many years, I can assure you the products are garbage. AMS never said what their manifolds are made of. Never. Why? Because they probably don't even know. Never mind the fact that AMS doesn't even inspect their outgoing products, as shown by the poor guy who got a set of manifolds with a hole in them.

So let's recap: no engineering, no quality assurance, and no respect or caring for the end user... yup, sign me up, AMS sounds awesome :dblthumb:
That's a very general statement only true to MSP vs AMS. What happens when the innovator outsources their work/business to China? (hence the walmart analogy, which does in fact apply towards even the z32 crowd) I've found that there are some innovators that actually are trying to help the target audience, and then there are those that are merely trying to come out with the next hottest product to make a quick buck.

I suppose the point of my post was lost. Sorry ffr, I was trying to get some of the heat off your back with no luck. IMO, do what you want to do if it makes you happy. Who cares if people will whine and complain about certain parts on your car? Even if you bought MSP parts, someone is bound to complain about something else: ride height, wheels, single exit exhaust for example. So do it if it makes you happy.

vikesfankevin1986

ffrpwner wrote:Actually right now I barely brake loose in first all I have is test pipes cat back pop charger and jwt ecu pop upgrade. I guess if I can get to 370 ill be cool and I've driven around in my friends 700whp sti and I've driven my other friends 500whp supra so I'm aware of how fast anything over 350rwhp is for a street car but right now my car doesn't scare me and that's what's I want haha but I get it if you guys are really this against ams they must be doing something wrong. I'm still in consideration of the manifolds but yeah idk. I'm still gunna do this build but ill push it back a year so I can to a motor rebuild at the same time
Well if you have driven cars that fast it might take quite a bit to scare you lol. I just think that if power is goal it is better to get the best quality parts you can. I don't feel like spending 2 grand on intercoolers/piping/throttle bodies but I know if I wait it will be worth if. I don't know if you ever check out SZs blog but if you don't check this out.
http://specialtyz.com/blog/?p=441
This Z put down 419rwhp and 404 ft/lbs on 91 octane with only 14 psi. What would he put down if he upped it do 16?
On 100 octane at 20 psi he put down 468rwhp and 491 ft/lbs.
At 116 octane at 21 psi he put down 499rwhp and 533 ft/lbs.
And that is all done on stock turbos. My set up won't do quite that well but it should be in that ball park. I think if he upped that boost to 16 psi on the 91 octane he could be pushing 430rwhp or better on stock turbos. This guy with stock turbos but everything else done the best way possible is going to keep up with someone with after market turbos. And personally I think there is something to say for someone that keeps stock turbos.
If you compare it to these stock turbo Zs http://specialtyz.com/blog/?p=56
I'm sure that guy hits 10s no problem on the high octane fuel.

vikesfankevin1986

And kind of a random question...why do you only have 1 exhaust tip? You said you have test pipes and catback...do they come together and go out of 1 tip? If they do I bet you would get more power if you had a normal catback exhaust...

Z32TT

^On single exit exhaust set ups the test pipes meet at a Y where our X/H pipe would be.

vikesfankevin1986

I see. That seems like that would be less effective unless the single exit is much larger. Am I correct? I haven't heard of this set up on a Z.

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

well the thing is i like the single its always been unique to me so i wanted it....i get lots of complements on the exhaust and hearing the turbos spool all the time is amazing haha...but for my build i had two exhaust options. buy a supra hks muffler and have a 4 inch single exit exhaust with 3 inch down pipes and a y pipe right after the down pipes.....but my other option was a full 3inch dual exhaust hks style....idk what im going with now but thats the last part im worried....right now im going to find some rebuilt or fairly new stock turbos since the turbos i have right now...i just dont trust them with the 110k miles they have on them haha.

So my updated list for a 380whp goal.

Newer or rebuilt stock turbos.
sz down pipes
my custom exhaust
bigger injectors
EBC set to 14 or 15psi
god speed smic or fmic (havent decided yet)
all new piping
lots of deletes
new rear main seal
stage 2 or 3 clutch
light weight flywheel
one piece drive shaft.
and ill get a upgraded chip from jwt

BigTDogg (MA)

ffrpwner wrote:well the thing is i like the single its always been unique to me so i wanted it....i get lots of complements on the exhaust and hearing the turbos spool all the time is amazing haha...but for my build i had two exhaust options. buy a supra hks muffler and have a 4 inch single exit exhaust with 3 inch down pipes and a y pipe right after the down pipes.....but my other option was a full 3inch dual exhaust hks style....idk what im going with now but thats the last part im worried....right now im going to find some rebuilt or fairly new stock turbos since the turbos i have right now...i just dont trust them with the 110k miles they have on them haha.

So my updated list for a 380whp goal.

Newer or rebuilt stock turbos.
sz down pipes
my custom exhaust
bigger injectors
EBC set to 14 or 15psi
god speed smic or fmic (havent decided yet)
all new piping
lots of deletes
new rear main seal
stage 2 or 3 clutch
light weight flywheel
one piece drive shaft.
Your exhaust did sound good in the video you posted as well, and it is very unique. The only two things I'd suggest for the list you have above: See Joe (Member Sppdracer) for a DXD Southbend clutch. I've been very happy with mine, and he gives great customer service. And for the EPROM chip, I'd contact SZ as they also do EPROM tuning. If you're in Cali you can go there and dyno and they'll write you a custom chip.

Anther note, the only thing you need to pull the motor for on that list is the new turbos. My old Z had 110k miles on the stockers running 14psi for the last 50k miles, and they still pulled hard. IMHO, I'd run the turbos till they fail, then replace/upgrade. If you decide you want to replace with newer stockers, the best option is probably to buy a set of good cores, replace the CHRA assembly, install, then sell your old ones as cores. Replacing the CHRA (Center Housing Rotating Assembly) is relatively easy, with the biggest hurdle being the snap rings. The CHRA is the turbine and compressor wheels, the main shaft, and bearings all pre assembled. All you do is add your old housings.

Actually, I just checked, and it's cheaper to buy rebuilt stockers from Turbos Direct

Something like the BDE top feed fuel rail, or the WIN Factory version would be a great way for you to go with injectors. The replacement injectors are much cheaper than the Nismo or Jecs, and more predictable and available than the Deatchwerks.

One piece driveshaft doesn't add any power, and if your OEM one isn't bad, there's really no advantage to having one. Unless you get an aluminum or CF one, the steel one piece can't be that much lighter than OEM. IMHO, for a power goal, that money is better spent going toward a Selin Dual MAF kit. The car breathes insanely better with it.

Just my two cents, based on my previous experiences. :bigthumb:

vulcanrush
Car: 93 300zx n/a to tt

ffrpwner wrote:
i thought you already have a jwt ecu/chip?

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

Hmmmm i might consider running the turbos till they fail and hope they fail around the time Im looking at getting bigger turbos anyway ha.

Ill look into my best option for tuning.

The selin kit does interest me alot. I was going to get a aluminum drive shaft like i had on my na but the selin will be awesome and ill just get some god speed side mounts cause im sure the selin dual maf kit wouldnt fit if i had a fmic as well.

Thanks for the help guys!

i do have a jwt chip put its only for a pop charger and 12 psi...ill need a new chip for all the new mods i get.

vulcanrush

380rwhp is great, these crazy builds that you see...at some point, it's not driveable.

why don't you come to the boston area if specialty-z gets out there to tune? for the fmic option/route, you can put the jwt pop chargers where the smic's used to be.

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

Well i have a friend that dd's his twin turboed hr350 that dynoed at 460rwhp its actually very street able. but 380 should be enjoyable. haha it does take alot to impress me especially after spinning all 4 wheels at 50mph in my friends 700whp sti!

Z32TT

BigTDogg (MA) wrote: Something like the BDE top feed fuel rail, or the WIN Factory version would be a great way for you to go with injectors. The replacement injectors are much cheaper than the Nismo or Jecs, and more predictable and available than the Deatchwerks.
IMO BDE needs too much modification to get installed compared to the WinFactory setup. If you want a more simple drop in fuel rail system the WF is the one to go with.

Rager
Car: 1992 charcoal gray 300zx 2+2
1999 sentra
2004 chevy silverado

:lock:

BigTDogg (MA)

ffrpwner wrote: I was going to get a aluminum drive shaft
My AL driveshaft is an 18 pound savings over stock. No real difference in engine rev speed like a flywheel, but 18 pounds of even static weight is huge!

BigTDogg (MA)

Rager wrote::lock:

Why?

vulcanrush

ffrpwner wrote:Well i have a friend that dd's his twin turboed hr350 that dynoed at 460rwhp its actually very street able. but 380 should be enjoyable. haha it does take alot to impress me especially after spinning all 4 wheels at 50mph in my friends 700whp sti!

that sti build wasn't cheap, the f-word has been used when describing sti's - fragile.

fragile pistons, cheap radiators, etc.

450rwhp+ doable, ffrpwner, you don't need crazy modifications for it.

vikesfankevin1986

Where do you find these friends? They must have a ton of cash or something...

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

i live in a very high end area of virgina im not rich by any means but up here around dc there are some pretty expensive cars hell my girlfriends neighbor has a Diablo haha.

The closer to dc you go the more real cars there are. No hondas i mean i go to a meet almost every weekend up around Alexandria. There were 4 R35 GTR's 3 600whp+ supras and countless evo's and some twin turboed GTO's. Theres an eliete club of 24 cars around here and they call themselves the 20k hp club because all there cars together add up to the much hp.

Theres actually some organized street racing up in maryland and the guy that puts the s*** together has a bpu supra and a 800hp mustang cobra.

My friend for 35k bought Dave Mira's old sti ill post some pics up if you want this thing will fly! but he blew the engine twice now hes got three people that wanna buy it off him for 17 k with a blown engine ha....hes in jail right now for some bs...

and i know a guy that sold his 500awhp evo to get a stock supra which has 600whp now but he only drives it on the weekends he drives is 08 m3 to work and around town. The funny thing about all of this is my car is middle class around these parts but i still get more attention then some of the top of the line guys haha i love my paint job.

vikesfankevin1986

Well I didn't see any of those when I was in VA lol. I lived in Hampton because I was stationed at Langley Air Force Base...nothing fast down there...just a bunch of big s*** cars with huge chrome rims...

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

yeah the closer you are to north carolina the worse the condition of the cars....although va beach has some nice car meets.

Basiacally the nicest cars in the expensive neighborhoods....like if you live in a single family home with over 2k square feet and its with in 20 miles of washington dc....you paid close to 800l for that house and you live in an expensive neighbor hood ha i hate living here though...everything is so damn expensive and dont even get me started on traffic...if i want to go to the mall which is a 15min ride on 95 south from my house...on a friday between the hours of 330 and 7...that trip will take 2hours atleast unless you know back roads which still add on halfnhour of time ha

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”