FFR's 380whp goal Thread

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
ffrpwner
Car: 1994 300zx n/a (sold)
1992 300zx tt

so im ordering a bunch of parts after my next pay check....

and hopefully turbos as well....

then in January comes the drive train parts and by valentines day ill be pulling the motor

December is a set back....my girls bday is a week before Christmas haha ill be broke that month

vulcanrush
Car: 93 300zx n/a to tt

how's your mom, doing? i hope everything is going well.

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

well the final hearing is tommorrow i will let you guys know....vulcan no hard feelings? We seem to disagree alot but i hope i never made things too personal....

vulcanrush

there were never any hard feelings. it's a car at the end of the day...with parts so expensive, it's easy for people (myself especially) to lose track of that.

take care of your mom, i'll keep her in prayers to God. when you get your 450rwhp+, let her get groceries with it.

Spddracer
Car: 1990 300zx twin turbo

Z31toZ32 wrote:
BigTDogg (MA) wrote: I spent over $9k with Coz at CZP right up until I found out about him knocking off the 300° fuel rails. I haven't bought anything from him since. I gently try to steer Z owners to other, more deserving sources for parts when they first mention CZP as a place to buy something.
i am also in about the same boat here. i have spent maybe 3k over the last few years with COZ. Most recently, I purchased a South Bend DXD Kevlar SS with a SS pressure plate from him. I later found out during install from Joe Allison (Southbend Clutch guy) that he never actually sold any Kevlar SS's to COZ. Basically he ended up determining that he did was use the SS pressure plate, but used a different disk that what was part of a different kit. Thought we would try it, and it didn't work... couldn't get it in gear when stopped. I ended up getting the correct one through Joe and it is great now, but had to basically re-install the clutch. What a pain the the a** for everyone. COZ has seen the last of my dollars.

Glad to hear it is working as it should now ;) Got her all broke in now?

Z32TT
Car: 90' 300ZX TT

ffrpwner wrote:gt28r turbos x2 or turbos of same size
AMS Manifolds
AMS Race Pulley
AMS Wp Pulley
AMS Radiator
AMS Racing Fuel Rails
AMS Oil cooler
AMS Race BOV Kit
AMS Silicon Radiator Hose
AMS Silicon Intake Hoses
AMS HICAS Eliminator
Not bagging them, i agree alil with Bigtdogg. Out of all that i prob just use the manis if that, but would rather lean more towards MSP manis.
BigTDogg (MA) wrote: Hardware:
New clutch and why not a new flywheel. Specialty Z and Southbend DXD have some great clutch options. But the RPS/SpecialtyZ flywheel is the only game in town.

It seems alot of people been having issues with ring gear coming detached from its weld on the RPS flywheel(as mentioned here http://300zxclub.com/showthread.php?t=18428). As of right now i would just get a SZ,JWT, or Z1 fly

ArticDragon192
Car: 91 Z32 2+2

I has said ring gear issue. My dying starter didn't help that issue at all. However, RPS warrantied the flywheel and gave me a new one :)
My new starter should help with alleviating any not bringing up that issue again.

Z32TT

^wow you got the ring gear issue too, lol damn. Even though thats true they are good with warranty this should not be as common a problem as it is, especially if you have to pull the trans to fix such a dumb issue.

Z31toZ32
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

Spddracer wrote:
Glad to hear it is working as it should now ;) Got her all broke in now?
no, ive only put about 220 mile on her so far. its hard to hold back on mashing it with the upgraded intercoolers and downpipes. i haven't had much time to drive her. i hope to be about all done by the time i put her away (around thanksgiving).

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

Z32TT wrote:^wow you got the ring gear issue too, lol damn. Even though thats true they are good with warranty this should not be as common a problem as it is, especially if you have to pull the trans to fix such a dumb issue.
Yeah, warranty doesn't cover labor costs. I'm doing a local guys car this week, RPS ring gear. I wasn't aware they would cover it. I'll have him check into that.

*edit, it was a JWT/Fidanza flywheel, not an RPS
Last edited by BigTDogg (MA) on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vikesfankevin1986
Car: 1995 300ZX TT

Sounds like I am doing a similar project next summer with the exception for upgraded turbos. I am trying to make 400rwhp on stock turbos on pump gas. I think it is well within the ball park. I am sticking with SMIC and the parts I'm going with are along the lines of what Biggtdogg said. I would rather spend a little extra and make sure things are done right than go the cheap route and have to do it over...especially when I have to pay for labor.

vulcanrush

Tony, it'll be great if the specialty-z guys can come out to tune in your area.

Your set-up is really nice too, how much do you think you're pushing?

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

I dont neccessarily think im going the cheap route....but people are gunna say what there gunna say...

vikesfankevin1986

Well I am interested to see the numbers the AMS stuff will put up. MSP Manifolds should add 20rwhp on stock turbos alone...

BigTDogg (MA)

vulcanrush wrote:Tony, it'll be great if the specialty-z guys can come out to tune in your area. Your set-up is really nice too, how much do you think you're pushing?
Hopefully next spring, pending Seb's health. No point in getting it tuned now only to put it away for 4 months. If I had to guess, I'd say roughly 425RWHP now, based on other people's previous dynos.
ffrpwner wrote:I dont neccessarily think im going the cheap route....but people are gunna say what there gunna say...
AMS makes s*** and they lack any sort of respect for the Z32 market. I'm just trying to help you. You can't claim to be a Z enthusiast and buy AMS parts, it doesn't work like that.

There are things you can cheap out on, or DIY, but there are definitely things you cannot skimp on.
vikesfankevin1986 wrote:Well I am interested to see the numbers the AMS stuff will put up. MSP Manifolds should add 20rwhp on stock turbos alone...
MSPs flow better than the AMS manifolds, it's been documented.

Z32TT

ffrpwner wrote:I dont neccessarily think im going the cheap route....but people are gunna say what there gunna say...
Alot of AMS stuff no offense is built on the cheap, except your paying alot of money for it. In some cases your paying 5-600% mark up from what they had got it made for. For one item which is obvious, worm clamps should not be used.

vulcanrush

BigTDogg (MA) wrote:
Hopefully next spring, pending Seb's health. No point in getting it tuned now only to put it away for 4 months. If I had to guess, I'd say roughly 425RWHP now, based on other people's previous dynos.
what do you drive during the winter, Tony? i thought you might run some blizzaks on your car or something.

425rwhp+ is such a nice number, good streetable number. do you ever track it?

i know you recently installed the selin dual-maf's, and you're running jwt's sport 500's? and ams exhaust manifolds (jk :laugh: ), stock intercoolers?

BigTDogg (MA) wrote: AMS makes s*** and they lack any sort of respect for the Z32 market. I'm just trying to help you. You can't claim to be a Z enthusiast and buy AMS parts, it doesn't work like that.

There are things you can cheap out on, or DIY, but there are definitely things you cannot skimp on.
Tony, i don't get caught up in this anymore, it's just not worth the stress...they're going to buy what they want, price is the most important factor.
Last edited by vulcanrush on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

I'm really getting tired of this crap....

If something bad happens to my engine because of AMS parts then i will let you know if my car blows up because of ams parts ill let you know and if ams parts are to blame for me not reaching my goal i will let you know

Your saying that if i dont buy the most expensive parts for my z then im not an enthusiasts well thats just BS...im not some 30 year old making 80k a year or more im a 19 year old thats full time in school and working two jobs so that i can pay my bills and spend all my other money making my z the best i can. If i wasnt a Z enthusiast i would be driving a crappy honda and saving all my money but i cant stop working on my z infact im even looking at a perfect z31 that some one is selling for 500 bucks to be my dail driver. Never underestimate how devoted i am to z's

Im doing this and im writing reviews for each part, detailed reviews!

vulcanrush

Erik, it's not about price, it's also about innovation...mike smith, for example, is an enthusiast and saw that the stock exhaust manifolds are pretty crappy, so he came out with his manifolds.

If you're an enthusiast, you don't buy products that are copies of other companies' products, etc. --- they're not great for the enthusiast community, not great for innovation, etc. It's like buying or downloading a copy of the newest playstation game, yeah sure you save some money, but you're not helping the developers. I don't know if that's a good analogy.

From a business point of view, why would you invest in the r&d, and manufacturing, if you're just going to get copied and undercut by somebody else, right?

http://specialtyz.com/blog/?p=705 "Chinese parts\copies have taken over our market by storm. It's amazing that the consumer will buy the cheapest option, thinking only with their pocketbooks."

vikesfankevin1986

Maybe if you are in school and working just to pay bills you should put this project off for a while. Your Z isn't going anywhere. I would like all the stuff to be done to my car now but when it comes down to it my Z will still be sitting in the driveway next summer.

vulcanrush

Erik, i don't want to get into this and get myself in trouble, but i have a question for you ---

Gino, or Dave, is thinking about fabricating or building a one-turbo pack, etc.

Pretty neat idea.

Let's say he does it, and sells it on the market, from z1 or whatever...and then ams copies it and sells it for half-price.

You see what i'm talking about?

Z32TT

FFR, people are only letting you know on the truth about products to gear you in the right direction on your whp goal along with reliablilty. You need to do some researching and not post a thread dedicated on giveing our oppinion on what you need to make those goals without taking in consideration the knowledge handed to you about some said products, that are obviously all over the boards with tests showing how garbage they are. All in all even though you might or could spend a tad bit on what we are telling you to get in the begining, think about it in the long run.., bc thats where you will be saving in the end.

vikesfankevin1986

Can I just ask what makes you so in love with AMS products?

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

Ok. This is what I believe.

1st. Yes I'm in school and work hard just to pay bills but you underestimate how important this is to me. I'm not putting my self in debt or anything that's why ill be gathering parts for a while.

2nd. I'm not in love with ams parts I'm getting an amazing deal on all these parts so why not (I can't go into detail why or how I'm getting this amazing deal)

3rd. Every one copys. Mike smith improved on the stock design and ams copied that and sold it at a lower price. So what its going to happen and yes ginos single kit will one day be copied and that person will sell at a lower price dave knows that but comparing that situation to this is dumb... That's an entire kit the person that copied the kit would have a crappy turbo and injectors there's so many things the copier could get wrong but manifolds are different...I know people using ams manifold guess what there happy and I will be to. I understand the advice people are giving me...that's why I'm not cheaping out on turbos intercoolers tuning injectors and downpipes but silicon piping? I'm sure ams really f*** those up they probably don't work as good as z1 piping

Bottom line this stupid argument has gone on for too long I'm going to try all there parts and write reviews and after that this is done no more of this I will tell everyone that starts or continues this ams argument to read my reviews and end it I'm really sick of it....my reviews will consist of first impression upon opening the package how it was shipped the ease of install the first use and its continued performence.

If any one has anything else to say that's important enough message me I'd rather my thread be left alone until I can update it thank you.

Oh and again I'm not pissed off or anything at anyone I do appreciate all the opnions from everyone I know you guys are just trying to help

BigTDogg (MA)

vulcanrush wrote:Erik, it's not about price, it's also about innovation...mike smith, for example, is an enthusiast and saw that the stock exhaust manifolds are pretty crappy, so he came out with his manifolds.
vikesfankevin1986 wrote:Maybe if you are in school and working just to pay bills you should put this project off for a while. Your Z isn't going anywhere. I would like all the stuff to be done to my car now but when it comes down to it my Z will still be sitting in the driveway next summer.
Z32TT wrote:FFR, people are only letting you know on the truth about products to gear you in the right direction on your whp goal along with reliability.
3 bingos in a row. See where this is headed?

Look, FFR, I get it, you're an inspired individual, with lofty goals for your Z, and I can respect that. You're also a moderator now on this forum, and I can respect the amount of time it takes to police a forum as such. However, you have to respect the knowledge of members who have gone before you and know what the fcuk they are talking about.

You've driven your TT what, 3 times? Seriously, get to know the car, and learn the characteristics of it first, before doing a big build and half-assing it. There's nothing wrong with planning future steps, but you might want to listen to those who know more than you do. I'm not saying I'm a know-it-all, there are plenty of people who know more than me about this car. However, what good is posting about your "goal thread" if you don't take good advice?

IMHO, unless AMS is bribing you by giving you the parts for absolutely free, including shipping and installation, you should wait and save for the real deal. Or, as someone else said, get a CC and pay it of responsibly. As an engineer, I would not buy a part which required an engineer to design, from a company that DOES NOT EMPLOY ANY ENGINEERS!!! You can't grasp the reality of the situation because you haven't been immersed in it yet; relatively speaking, you're still a n00b. There are MANY new products which haven't gone to market yet because of AMS's thievery. Wouldn't you like better products for your Z32? Yes, I think we all would. Convince your self all you want, but you're not fooling anyone.

If you think AMS is still a good company after doing your research, you either:

a) have no clue what the fcuk you're talking about
b) just don't care
c) seriously have instant gratification issues

Oh, and I'm sorry, I'm not going to "pm" you with any comments about your build. You made it public, so if you want to review the AMS products you got for an amazing deal (aka, blowies from Vuk's whores), then I'll feel free to s*** all over it with knowledge.

vulcanrush

tony, not worth the stress. i guess the good thing you can buy whatever parts you want.

Z32TT

ffrpwner wrote: 3rd. Every one copys. Mike smith improved on the stock design and ams copied that and sold it at a lower price. So what its going to happen and yes ginos single kit will one day be copied and that person will sell at a lower price dave knows that but comparing that situation to this is dumb... That's an entire kit the person that copied the kit would have a crappy turbo and injectors there's so many things the copier could get wrong but manifolds are different...I know people using ams manifold guess what there happy and I will be to.
There is more to the AMS copied manis that you dont know, and yes i do know from more then very reliable sources. Lets just say they dont care about the consumer to much considering the price they get them for and what your paying. I think the AMS manis are ok but deff not worth the value people are buying them for. You will most likely be happy with them , but at more then quadruple there cost for something with ok r&d...I believe Megan, Godspeed, Mishimoto etc.. care more for their customers. Im not sure if the ebay seller that is making AMS manis still sell them on ebay, but they were selling them for $150 and still making a profit. Now $150-200 is more like the price they should be, not $500 and before that $740. Anyways thats as far as im going with some of this.

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

I daily drive my tt sir. so i drive it 3 times a day or more. I know my car i learn very quickly. thank you

I think you guys are underestimating how much i don't care about the rumors surrounding ams. What i care about is getting the parts...lets see what are you guys gunna do tell everyone not to buy ams parts and there gunna shut down and the world is going to be all better now that msp is the only one out there making freaking manifolds.

Thats ridiculous as soon as ams is out of the picture someone else will come its life its how the world works.

MSP manifolds are great i understand that and yeah i probably would buy them. i understand that completely. I never once said anything bad about them. Since you are more knowledgeable then me (im not being sarcastic i know that you are) i know that you understand that there are always gunna be copies of the original product...no one can stop it ams is the only company out there where i have seen there manifolds on other cars being used over and over again and not just with stock or slightly upgraded z's but even higher hp z's running them with no problem what so ever.

I get it people are against there stuff but unless you have proof that some one put them on there car and they did not see a hp increase or it caused problems with the car..... then i couldn't give a f*** what people have to say about it....Ive told you what parts im getting from ams and i plan on still getting them so if you have advice tell me what turbos or injectors i should run or even debate over smic and fmic's but your not changing my mind....and you can s*** on my reviews with knowledge all you want but if my review is good and after 6 months the part is still running know problem you think people are gunna care that that product isnt "the original" if the product performs great and continues to perform great no they wont.

again i respect you and your knowledge...even though you spelled f*** fcuk twice in your message so that it wouldnt block out the word... thats a lil immature to me but i get it you were trying to get your point accross.

Now i kinda wish i never said anything about the ams parts until i had them on....

oh and i never half a** s*** on my car i never have and never will thats why i do all the work on my car myself or atleast watch the person that is working on it i hardly ever take it to a shop.

and i do want more parts for the z...DUH...you know how excited i was when z1 came out with the silicon tt accordin pipes thats gunna be nice for my build as well.

oh and im getting all these parts for the price of one set of manifolds from mike smith...if i wasnt getting this deal would i be getting all these parts maybe but probably not all of them but i would still be getting the manifolds no doubt.

vulcanrush

ffrpwner wrote: ams is the only company out there where i have seen there manifolds on other cars being used over and over again and not just with stock or slightly upgraded z's but even higher hp z's running them with no problem what so ever.
i don't get it, ams is the only company out there where you have seen their manifolds being used on other cars? other non-nissan cars? what other cars have you seen ams products being used? the ams of the evo world is a completely different company.

are you saying that since ams is the only company where you have seen their manifolds being used on even higher-hp z's, that mike smith manifolds aren't as reliable? that's what you're implying. sorry, just confused.

vikesfankevin1986

ffrpwner wrote: I think you guys are underestimating how much i don't care about the rumors surrounding ams. What i care about is getting the parts...lets see what are you guys gunna do tell everyone not to buy ams parts and there gunna shut down and the world is going to be all better now that msp is the only one out there making freaking manifolds.
That's your problem...you don't care.
Definition of RUMOR
1: talk or opinion widely disseminated with no discernible source
2: a statement or report current without known authority for its truth
It's not a rumor. It is a fact.
Thats ridiculous as soon as ams is out of the picture someone else will come its life its how the world works.
And there will be idiots like you to buy the parts right? It's sad you know how things work and do nothing to help the problem. I don't agree with rap music or shows like jersey shore. I can't make it go away but I can do my part in not supporting it.

and you can s*** on my reviews with knowledge all you want but if my review is good and after 6 months the part is still running know problem you think people are gunna care that that product isnt "the original" if the product performs great and continues to perform great no they wont.
Your opinion will probably be bias. You are so in love with AMS because they are giving you some kind of deal and possibly considering sponsoring you. I would s*** on a review of cigarettes done by Big Tobacco even if someone didn't get cancer and die in 6 months. Haven't you taken a class yet where they talk about finding a good source and how to do unbias research?
oh and i never half a** s*** on my car
My answer for this quote is your next quote...
oh and im getting all these parts for the price of one set of manifolds from mike smith...if i wasnt getting this deal would i be getting all these parts maybe but probably not all of them but i would still be getting the manifolds no doubt.
Getting 5 plus grand worth of half a** parts for 800 bucks is the definition of half assing

I first sent this in a PM but I think it should be public so people know my experiences...

All I am going to say is I have gotten some good deals in my life...and they turned out as scams. You know how they say if something is too good to be true it probably is? They say that because that's a fact. You said you are getting a great deal...that is the first red flag. The second is that you are getting a deal from a company that has a record of selling crappy products. Anything that's worth a s*** in this world comes at a price. Look at all this garbage they sell on TV. "Oh you buy this amazing new product and we will give you a second one and we will also throw in this and this all for free!" If there was a real way to make someone skinny in 6 minutes a day or with some amazing diet, they would charge thousands for it. When I was in the UAE and Kyrgyzstan I bought namebrand purses that the girls couldn't even tell were fake...they fell a part in a couple of months. Same thing with the rolex watches. Hell it is even that way with the hookers in Germany. If they charge 20 bucks...stay away! The difference is that you are dropping 5-10 grand in these kinds of products and not 15 bucks. You could order 1 part and be like oops these are crappy and change your mind but you want to put documented bad parts in your car on a large scale.

I really hope it all turns out well for you. I also want my car to be built up NOW. It is killing me to have parts sitting in the garage that I can't put in. I am dying waiting for my test pipes that I was expecting a week ago. But in the end I want the best quality parts that will give me the most power and increase the life of my motor.
My wife works as full time as a nurse and during the summer when I don't get my GI bill money is rough. It sucks not to have money. Our account litterally has 2 dollars in it until Friday so we are forced to use the credit cards. There isn't much I can do about it. My prick manager won't give me any more hours. Not to mention I have a baby on the way. I would hate to put something in my car and then have to spend hundreds or thousands fixing it because it was poor quality.
I know how you feel, trust me. I hope everything works out but I think you are making a bad decision because you think you are getting some kind of deal. If it's too good to be true...it probably is...

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”