FFR's 380whp goal Thread

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
Gino
Car: 1990 300zxTT stage 5+++

Enjoy the money for now lol. You have a healthy motor and healthy car, so just drive it for a while. Save up. I didn't spend a cent unless I had the money in my bank to back it up. That's the easy way to do it, pay for it with a credit card then just pay it all off at once. Builds credit, keeps you out of debt, and gets you what you want!

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

^^I second Gino's thoughts- save up money as best possible for step by step mods and get any cash deals possible, or pay off credit debt immediately...paying interest for specialty parts that depreciate the moment you use them is double jeopardy!
With work hours down and costs up, I have carefully saved about $800 bucks for either a jspec or wheels/tires...and am in the process of getting one of them now while I recover the interior tweed and rear hatch area.
Next will be saving for the one I don't get, then saving for the biggie...a motor swap.

ffrpwner
Car: 1994 300zx n/a (sold)
1992 300zx tt

yeh i think im gunna wait and save and hopefully buy all the parts around new years. maybe more toward valentines day. But its going to be nice to have some extra cash around for the first time in a while!!

mean while my friend just traded me a part for his megan dps i think ill just throw those on since i got them for free to give me some happiness lol

From now on though i will not buy a part that i cant re use for my build. ill try and keep this alive but the only other thing i can say is those turbos i posted are still available the guy is really nice and seems like a cool dude hes been trying to sell since summer i cant afford them as of this moment but i know someone can if anyone is interested let me know ill make sure he gives you the deal he was giving me

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

Boreddddd

enjoy a picture or two

robomatic12
Car: 1990 300ZX TT

Lookin good, I dig the color! But you need to adjust that ebrake!

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

gt28r turbos x2 or turbos of same size
AMS Manifolds
AMS Race Pulley
AMS Wp Pulley
AMS Radiator
AMS Racing Fuel Rails
AMS Oil cooler
AMS Race BOV Kit
AMS Silicon Radiator Hose
AMS Silicon Intake Hoses
AMS HICAS Eliminator

740cc injectors possibly 550 or 555cc injectors
Front Mount Intercooler
Boost Controller
Bee r launch control
Custom dyno tune
SAFC
Wideband o2 sensors
Boost gauge
Air to fuel gauge

upgraded parts list....haha we will know if this build is going through or if im going to need to save the money for diapers instead in the next week or so.... :ohno:

Meanwhile begging ams for some sponsorship deals or a full sponsorship.

Got them interested been talking to them all day today.

I will be entering at least one organized car show a month, advertise with there decals some where on my car

And i will be reviewing each part individually and making a sticky dedicated to all of the reviews i made.

car nut
Car: GT500.

ffrpwner wrote:we will know if this build is going through or if im going to need to save the money for diapers instead in the next week or so.... :ohno:
There's a pill for that!

:slap:

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

she forgot to take it :slap:

legion
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

ffrpwner wrote:we will know if this build is going through or if im going to need to save the money for diapers instead in the next week or so.... :ohno:
And sell your Z too...yikes. Good luck with that bro. :eek:

BigTDogg (MA)

ffrpwner wrote: AMS Manifolds
AMS Race Pulley
AMS Wp Pulley
AMS Radiator
AMS Racing Fuel Rails
AMS Oil cooler
AMS Race BOV Kit
AMS Silicon Radiator Hose
AMS Silicon Intake Hoses
AMS HICAS Eliminator
Personally, I'd skip all that garbage. I'm not startin shiz, but AMS is a jokeshow of a company. Do some research and judge for yourself:

- Manifolds are garbage and made from a mystery metal that AMS has not disclosed. They even shipped a pair with a hole in them see here

- WP pulley doesn't fit properly. Suggestion: the HI Water Pump pulley with an ASP underdrive pulley from Import Parts Pro

- The Koyo radiator works just fine, and isn't overpriced.

- Please do not trust this jokeshow company with something as critical as your fuel system. The 300° rails are the only option for an upgraded side feed configuration. There are two options available for the top feed. Win Factory and BDE. Personally I'd chose BDE.

- Oil cooler? There are better options available for the same or less money. AMS' oil cooler can be had on eBay all day long for $125 less than they charge, because they just rattle can it black.

- Their BOVs are a knock off of the Turbo XS RFL BOVs. BOVs don't add power and are never necessary at any power level. No offense intended, but judging on your personal preference of a FMIC for the look of it, you probably want the BOVs for the sound. Just understand there's no performance benefit

- The rest of the stuff doesn't increase power, and you can get the Z1 products (a NICO sponsor BTW) for the same or less money.

AMS doesn't innovate; they offer poorly copied "me too" products made in China with little or no quality control. They don't employ any engineers. How can you "design" new products without engineers? Oh yeah, you can't.

/rant.

(I really don't want to derail your thread, but had to get some truth out there. You're new to the Z scene as far as I can tell, so it's not your fault you didn't know this stuff)

IMHO, to reach your goal of 450RWHP, which is a reasonable goal, I'd suggest the following:

Exhaust side:
JWT Sport 530 turbos, or Z1 GT600R
MSP manifolds
Specialty Z 3" expansion Down pipes
Specialty Z 3" -> 2.5" test pipes (to retain your current cat back)

Intake side:
Selin Dual MAF translator
Dual JWT POP chargers
GReddy, Z1, AshSPEC Massives or Stillen SMIC

Fuel:
Keep your 555's and do the switched 12V mod.

Electronics:
Blitz SBC-ID boost controller
Apexi SAFC
Traction control (if desired)

Information:
Electronic fuel pressure gauge
Boost gauge
Oil Temperature gauge (others would argue for more accurate water temp and oil pressure gauges, and those are options too)

Hardware:
New clutch and why not a new flywheel. Specialty Z and Southbend DXD have some great clutch options. But the RPS/SpecialtyZ flywheel is the only game in town.
A 1pc driveshaft only reduces static weight and has a minimal effect on engine revs. IMHO, I would only replace yours if the center bearing is bad, or you get an insane deal on an aluminum or CF driveshaft. Otherwise there's no point.

Do some preventative maintenance on your car (60k service if it needs it) get some new plugs and hit the dyno and tune. 450RWHP on pump gas with those mods is easily attainable.

car nut

^ Tony, see below. That's the second part of his post lol.
ffrpwner wrote: Meanwhile begging ams for some sponsorship deals or a full sponsorship.

Got them interested been talking to them all day today.

I will be entering at least one organized car show a month, advertise with there decals some where on my car

And i will be reviewing each part individually and making a sticky dedicated to all of the reviews i made.

Don't worry Erik, I'm sure everything will be alright. Stuff like that happens all the time.

vulcanrush
Car: 93 300zx n/a to tt

tony, the difference between you and i is that you're more intelligent and can explain something without coming across as a jerk.

i'm just not a fan of their products, quality aside, it's not great for the enthusiast community. i have a question, frpwner, are you buying ams parts because dave does?

BigTDogg (MA)

car nut wrote:^ Tony, see below. That's the second part of his post lol.
Just trying to save a fellow Z owner some headache.
vulcanrush wrote:tony, the difference between you and i is that you're more intelligent and can explain something without coming across as a jerk.
Trinh, did I miss something? Did you come across as a jerk on here previously? I just wanted to make some points about his upgrade path, and decided to leave emotion out of it. You're a pretty smart guy yourself :biggrin:

vulcanrush

i got into an argument with some people, Tony, over ams vs msp, etc.

i can't get unemotional, because it's not great for innovation, it's not great for future cool products...msp won't release their turbo inlet's because of ams, i'm almost 100% sure.

Initial_Z

Why not 500, or 400, but 450 ?!?! I hate the odd lol

BigTDogg (MA)

vulcanrush wrote:msp won't release their turbo inlet's because of ams, i'm almost 100% sure.
That is a big part of it, and was insanely frustrating for me during my build as well.
Initial R wrote:Why not 500, or 400, but 450 ?!?! I hate the odd lol
400 isn't enough, 500 is too much, but 450 is juuuuust right. It's like the 3 lil piggy story, lolz

z32pilot62
Car: 1990 300zx N/A A/T (Sold)
1990 300zx 2+2 N/A A/T-M/T
1972 Buick Skylark Custom
1970 Chevy Blazer (Sold)
1977 280z (Sold)
1991 Civic Dx (Beater)

Off topic but I found this while looking around teh intrunez earlier and it made me think of this thread:
On topic Erik, there is always going to be a problem with any product somewhere somehow, my dad had a piece of casting come off in his transmission and ruined it. That was factory original part in his 92 Suburban and in 2001 is when that happened, so how did that got past GM's quality control and into his car? Who knows, AMS might have just missed the hole in the manifold, we are all just people we make mistakes sometimes. Maybe if you do get this sponsorship it will give them a little insight from the source about all the things that they could be improving in their processes and I'm sure you will get plenty of replacement parts if something comes messed up. Until there are enough people to get the information back to AMS that their parts are "junk" then how is a company to know that it needs to change? They may be big enough to hire someone on to troll forums all the time looking for reviews but I doubt it...

vulcanrush

z32pilot62 wrote: On topic Erik, there is always going to be a problem with any product somewhere somehow, my dad had a piece of casting come off in his transmission and ruined it. That was factory original part in his 92 Suburban and in 2001 is when that happened, so how did that got past GM's quality control and into his car? Who knows, AMS might have just missed the hole in the manifold, we are all just people we make mistakes sometimes. Maybe if you do get this sponsorship it will give them a little insight from the source about all the things that they could be improving in their processes and I'm sure you will get plenty of replacement parts if something comes messed up. Until there are enough people to get the information back to AMS that their parts are "junk" then how is a company to know that it needs to change? They may be big enough to hire someone on to troll forums all the time looking for reviews but I doubt it...
lots of people have pointed out that out to ams, they continue to deflect responsibility. you can check out tt.net for lots of info, but that's what makes it frustrating.

BigTDogg (MA)

z32pilot62 wrote:. Maybe if you do get this sponsorship it will give them a little insight from the source about all the things that they could be improving in their processes and I'm sure you will get plenty of replacement parts if something comes messed up.

I'm trying to stay as calm as possible here. :facepalm: THEY DON'T CARE Unless it makes them more money, they don't care. What good is another set of manifolds going to do you if you have to pay for another engine pull? People on TT.net and 3ZC told AMS how to fix their water pump pulley. The spin show buy Vuk@AMS was comical, denying away any problem which could be proven by a 3rd grader and a ruler. One simple tooling change is all they needed to remedy the error, but it hasn't happened, and it won't happen, because there is no financial gain for them.

People are obviously free to buy from whomever they choose, and I don't bash companies for no reason. I spent over $9k with Coz at CZP right up until I found out about him knocking off the 300° fuel rails. I haven't bought anything from him since. I gently try to steer Z owners to other, more deserving sources for parts when they first mention CZP as a place to buy something.

I will never ever buy anything from AMS. They're a shady company with a sleazy, ethics-lacking businessman at the helm. They don't care about the end user, and they don't care about innovation. See for yourself. Anything on their website can be purchased elsewhere; they have absolutely nothing exclusive. Why is that? Because they wait for other companies to do the real R&D to bring a product to market. Then they buy one or two, and send them off to China to be duplicated, poorly.

Bottom line: it's a free country, but if you give a rat's a** about the Z community, and your own personal Z, then you will never consider doing business with AMS.

vulcanrush

Tony, now you why i was a jerk.

i don't understand how anyone can defend ams.

sure, their products are cheaper --- but not that much cheaper.

i've had arguments with gino, ffrpwner, etc. about ams --- i don't get it, but perhaps you can explain it to me, Tony, what benefits are there besides price point?

Z31toZ32
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

BigTDogg (MA) wrote: I spent over $9k with Coz at CZP right up until I found out about him knocking off the 300° fuel rails. I haven't bought anything from him since. I gently try to steer Z owners to other, more deserving sources for parts when they first mention CZP as a place to buy something.
i am also in about the same boat here. i have spent maybe 3k over the last few years with COZ. Most recently, I purchased a South Bend DXD Kevlar SS with a SS pressure plate from him. I later found out during install from Joe Allison (Southbend Clutch guy) that he never actually sold any Kevlar SS's to COZ. Basically he ended up determining that he did was use the SS pressure plate, but used a different disk that what was part of a different kit. Thought we would try it, and it didn't work... couldn't get it in gear when stopped. I ended up getting the correct one through Joe and it is great now, but had to basically re-install the clutch. What a pain the the a** for everyone. COZ has seen the last of my dollars.

BigTDogg (MA)

Z31toZ32 wrote:I later found out during install from Joe Allison (Southbend Clutch guy) that he never actually sold any Kevlar SS's to COZ.
I try to get my stuff as direct as possible, so I got my Southbend from Joe (I know he doesn't make them, but he is a dealer who sells to Coz and the like) and my Selin from Jim.

Z-owned
Car: 93 N/A Z32
90 VW Corrado
01 mr2 spyder

I don't recommend ams products to people either granted vulcanrush and I got into a little argument when I suggested a guy look into them for a possible turbo swap do to location, it ended up being about there products as usual :squint: :gapteeth: That aside. Coz had his issue with the fuel rails, z1 had there issue selling rotors branded as brembo that weren't etc. I still buy from both coz and z1 regardless.

vulcanrush

z1 is a little shady, they've had some documents where they tried to copy the selin dual-maf's pack, and other spl products, etc.

and they're the one vendor that exclusively sells ams products, maybe coz does too.

beautiful car, z-owned, btw, how much was your paint job, if i could please ask? looking into a paint job myself.

Z-owned
Car: 93 N/A Z32
90 VW Corrado
01 mr2 spyder

Don't believe coz sells ams products, though they do sell a few z1 products like smics etc. My paint is original besides the jspec and part of the fenders and looks better in pics than it actually is, though for the age it does look good.

BigTDogg (MA)

The charcoal-centered Professors really set it off. Or are those the other wheel I always confuse with the SSR Professor?

joe645733
Car: 1992 300zxTT

i wouldn't get an FMIC. the only one i'd get would be tom's fmic:
https://specialtyz.com/shop/300zx/inter ... c-kit.html

pretty much the only kit done right. other than that, if you're only looking at 450whp, there are quite a few sidemount intercoolers to easily handle that kind of power.

car nut

^ $1700?!?!?!?!

You have to be f*** kidding me.

vulcanrush

i like the stillen smic's a lot. or the a-spec massives.

question for you, ffrpwner, are you doing what Dave did for his build?

why custom intercooler piping's, etc.? what's tried-and-true already works.

ffrpwner
1992 300zx tt

custom piping will be cheaper.....

you really cant mess up intercooler piping....it will be routed the same way it is in the interfcooler pipes just i will pay almost nothing because i have a buddy thats been in the pipe bending job for years and has custom done intercooler piping for sr20 rb25's and a couple 2jz's so i trust him

nothing crazy like this guy haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DPN7F7l ... re=related

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”