Favorite Metallica Song?

Musicians and music-related topics are all right here in the Music Room.
xekushnr
Car: '90 240sx Hatch

cmfireman wrote:How about forgetting all the sub genres and play some 'effing rock.

I get so tired of the metalcore/thrash/black metal/death metal "scene" bull****. If the band can play, and they sound good, I don't care what "type" of music they're making. I'm just gonna kick back and listen.

I'm down for any kind of metal band evaluation thread. I've been into black/death/melodic death metal for about 5 years now. It was that final push I needed to get into playing guitar. I think Alexi Laiho did it for me.

Of course now that I'm a guitarist I realize he's not every creative in his solos. He's still damn good though.

Death. Richard Christy is awesome.

iwantans13
Car: Lamborghini Diablo VT

Alexi Laiho FTMFW!!!!

Im considering one of the jdm spec versions on his v for my next guitar.

xekushnr

I think it was the Tokyo Warhearts live version of Touch the Angel of Death that made me say "God damn...I need to learn how to play guitar." Those solos are ****ing amazing. I get chills down my spine every time I hear that solo in the middle.

I would kill for a Jackson RR-LL, the Randy Rhoads style V customized for Laiho and Latvala from CoB. Its a 24 fret version, while most Jackson RR guitars (including mine) are 22 frets. Only 60 were made, and all were sold in Finland. They didnt even give one to Laiho or Latvala, they only played them during promotions.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

1unar3clipse wrote:Some love for Burton on my part.

Can't believe everyone forgot about Pulling teeth, at least Blackened was listed along with Battery but how about "Mechanix"? or the original version of "hit the lights" with Dave Mustaine?
If you are referring The Mechanix as being the original version of Hit The Lights, that's incorrect. It was the original version of The Four Horsemen.

As far as I am concearned, my favorite Metallica song is Damage INC. Brutal, fast and in your face, and you can't forget the first appearance of the three count, palm muted 16th run, the "GO!"

Love it.

Harvester, Shortest Straw, Call of Ktulu, Fight Fire With Fire, Phantom Lord, No Remorse, To Live Is To Die, My Friend Of Misery, God That Failed, Fuel, Outlaw Torn and Until It Sleeps are my personal favorites.

1unar3clipse
Car: 93 240sx HB, 01 Dodge Dakota SLT

C33LaurelRacer wrote:If you are referring The Mechanix as being the original version of Hit The Lights, that's incorrect. It was the original version of The Four Horsemen.
Nope I was implying two different songs i.e. "like this or that"

I would think from the amount of metallica jargon I shat out my keyboard that it would be assumed I wouldn't confuse the two as the same.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

No worries, homie. I wasn't sure, but wondered if you meant that. Thanks for clearing it up, though.

MeanGreenS13
Car: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

Through The Never

Sil40_Mayhem
Car: 1995 240SX 5spd/1992 Integra LS

Sandman is #1 for me. Sorry, got into the music late, and I refuse to present myself as some poseur pseudo old-school I-liked-them-before-they-sold-out fan just so I can feel like I belong to the "in crowd". I like what I like, so shoot me. I will say, it was extremely close between that and 'Master of Puppets'. I especially liked the mellowed-out change-up in the latter part of the song. 'One' is also another fav.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Meh, if Sandman is what you like, then rock on brotha. It's a great song with a great tempo and groove to it. Hell, I didn't get into them till after I saw them live in 1992, well after the black album came out. I have always thought that Master was their best work, album and song. It's overall sound is just amazing.

A lot of people like Justice, and I do to, I just think the whole sound of the album just sounds kida flat because you really can't distiguish a bass line in it, cause it pretty much copys the rythm guitar.

If you look at everything post Justice, Bob Rock really brought a whole different sound to their music. Some like it, most don't. I listen to all of it becuase I listen to music for the emotion it evokes in me. A lot of songs on Load, Re-Load and St. Anger really get me going, and that's what I like about them.

My simple suggestion to those who don't like the new stuff...if you don't like it, fine...don't listen to it. But, don't try to influence others in your beliefs.

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

Going back Sean was right, Sandman while still a great song is nowhere near number 1. I grew up on Public Enemy and NWA and Eric B and Rakim so metal has been a recent acquisition for me but Metallica is proving to be amazing. I'm tripping balls because of how awesome Nothing Else Matters is. I'm not sure if this is post "sell out" to some of the die hards but I still love the song.

xekushnr

redtop91 wrote:Going back Sean was right, Sandman while still a great song is nowhere near number 1. I grew up on Public Enemy and NWA and Eric B and Rakim so metal has been a recent acquisition for me but Metallica is proving to be amazing. I'm tripping balls because of how awesome Nothing Else Matters is. I'm not sure if this is post "sell out" to some of the die hards but I still love the song.
I suppose its all relative but to me the Black album was when they started to change, but it was still good. Unforgiven is an amazing song. But if you havent, get the Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets (ESPECIALLY this one, every song is good) and ...And Justice for All CDs. It was Metallica in its golden age, in metal's golden age.

ScrapMetal
Car: 1999 Chevrolet S10, 1991 Ford Bronco 5.0

Orion

Made me pick up a guitar.

M45-Zero260
Car: Jaguar, Volvo. Former Infiniti, Audi, Lexus, Mitsubishi, Dodge, GM, Ford.

Finally, after all this time, Orion is mentioned...a lyric-less song, yet, so smooth, original, and truly when Metallica was at their peak. Master of Puppets has to be the album that most can agree on that can be the picture next to Metallica in Wikipedia. We all have our tracks that we skip to on each and every one of their albums, and I agree that they have definitely gone through some transformations through the years. I have been a fan since I first discovered them in the mid '80's, and I still enjoy putting an old CD into the M on my way to work to stimulate my mood. As a matter of fact, I just stumbled upon this thread today, and this morning on my way in, I was listening to And Justice for All. Great post by the way, and a quick question...how many of us Metallica fans just "had" to open another window and play their favorite Metallica song on youtube? I know I did...One still sounds as good as it did when the first Bush was president.

Have a safe and wonderful Fourth of July! A Friday this year, I know we all can appreciate that

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Seek & Destroy... and Master.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

AZhitman wrote:... and Master.
Dude, that whole album is probably their best work EVAR! There isn't one bad song on that record, and I could listen to it every minute of every day and not get tired of it.

As a mater of fact, I think it's time to get it going right now...

turf1600
Car: 1967 BMW 1600, 90 BMW 326's, 04 audi A4

One. Best song they made.

Metman2J
Car: 2002 Nissan Sentra

While I love One, Orion, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Seek & Destroy, The Four Horsemen, The Unforgiven (all 3), Fuel, Prince Charming, King Nothing, Bleeding Me, Master of Puppets, Battery, Blackened, Harvester of Sorrow, Frantic, St. Anger, Some Kind of Monster, Fight Fire With Fire, The Call of Ktulu...I think you get the point by now.

I think I would have to say my FAVORITE (at the moment) is Ride the Lightning.

Oh and just for the record...I think Death Magnetic kicks ***!!!!

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Metman2J wrote:.

Oh and just for the record...I think Death Magnetic kicks ***!!!!
I would have to agree with you on that.

sebazztard
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx rb25det project. 2000 Honda Accord LX DD. 1992 Nissan 300zx NA.

yes they reallllllly need this album to bring back there 'old' fans. theyve been **** since black album really.

Stev0n
Car: 90 LS13.5 M6
08 HD Superglide 106ci M6
94 Ranger
97 mercury sable
96 Rape Van

like:

everything but one & fade to black (don't know why, i just dont like those songs...)

Like the most:am i evilmama saidwhiskey in the jarhero of the dayharvester of sorrowwherever i may roamseek and destroy (live version w/ jason) e.g. wcw mayhem album

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

sileighty_stev0n wrote:like:

everything but one & fade to black (don't know why, i just dont like those songs...)

Like the most:am i evil---Original artist: Diamond Headmama saidwhiskey in the jar---Original artist: Thinn Lizzyhero of the dayharvester of sorrowwherever i may roamseek and destroy (live version w/ jason) e.g. wcw mayhem album

sebazztard
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx rb25det project. 2000 Honda Accord LX DD. 1992 Nissan 300zx NA.

new cd is excellent, got it yesterday. i gotta add cyanide to this list. also..

batterymaster of puppetsseek and destroy

lumpy
Car: 1997 200sx w/ sr20det

Paster of muppets rules... uhh wait a sec.

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

Bump.

Does anyone like the song "Cyanide." I've been hearing lately and I love it. Or am I just a Metallica fanboy?

MeanGreenS13
Car: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

good song but i like the unforgiven 432563 better

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Orion and Breadfan are my 2 favs!!!

redtop91

AZ89two4Tsx wrote:Bump.

Does anyone like the song "Cyanide." I've been hearing lately and I love it. Or am I just a Metallica fanboy?
It's good. The whole Death Magnetic CD is good really but it's not great like some of their older stuff. I'm actually beginning to like St. Anger (ZOMGBBQWTF?) once you get past (or get used) to the s*** snare there's some good material there. Kill 'Em All and Justice are where it's been at for me lately. The breakdown in Phantom Lord, the solo in The Four Horseman, or the entire song in Harvester of Sorrow blow my mind daily. I wonder where Metallica would be were Cliff Burton still around?

scotttak
Car: 94 Honda Civic

my list goes: 1. master of puppets (song i first learned on guitar lololol. took me like a couple years)2. no leaf clover3. one4. enter sandman5. nothing else matters6. ride the lightning7. hero of the day8. whiskey in the jar9. sanitarium10. fade to black11. wherever i may roam

just off the top of my head

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Recently, I have been getting off on Disposable Heroes.The whole song rocks.

I am gonna try to get that song down on the drums real soon.

redtop91

Everything off Master is epic... except damage inc. Its not bad either just not mind blowing. My favorite song on that album is without a doubt Orion. The feel and swagger of that song is just mind blowing.

Return to “The Music Room”