Faulty fuel pump recall!

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Juelze wrote:Hmmm, should I be concerned? I've never had this issue and would hate to have this happen when I"m out of warranty. I have an '07 6spd S model.
I would be. My V hasn't had this happen either, but it was built during the time period that this problem part was being installed. I've got this fear that I'll roll over 36,000 miles, park, and it will die. Because my luck is that fantastic.

GiLLT
Car: Nissan Versa S

i get mine installed tomorrow. they were unaware of this problem until they looked it up and said I'm the 1st to get mine done in the area. it came in a couple of days ago i haven't been able to make it to the dealer yet though. they told me to just drop it off anytime and it will take about 3 hours to be finished cause they need to regulate the fuel before putting the regulator in. no matter what the weather cold or hot, takes my car a minimum of 5 seconds to turn over, sometimes another try. this is only after its been sitting for id say 5 or 6 hours though. it started around 28 or 29k.

TheClevelandSound
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

yup this happened to me six months ago. Got it replaced. No problems since.

bdu
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL HB

Ever Victorious wrote:
I would be. My V hasn't had this happen either, but it was built during the time period that this problem part was being installed. I've got this fear that I'll roll over 36,000 miles, park, and it will die. Because my luck is that fantastic.
Yeah, I'm even more worried, as my Versa had the problem for about 500 miles when I first bought it, then it mysteriously stopped being a problem. In other words, I *know* it has the faulty regulator, but it's not currently acting up enough for me to convince the dealer to replace it.

Doh![

Versa Madness
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S HB 6 spd

Just take it in and describe the problems that you have experienced at times and inform them of the TSB referencing the extended crank issue. I did this and I am now awaiting the parts and then the repair is to be made.

bdu
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL HB

Versa Madness wrote:Just take it in and describe the problems that you have experienced at times and inform them of the TSB referencing the extended crank issue. I did this and I am now awaiting the parts and then the repair is to be made.
I had it in (before the TSB), and they had it for six days while I was out of town running pressure tests on it, and it passed every single one, so they were unconvinced. I doubt they'd go for a replacement now...

Versa Madness
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S HB 6 spd

I would think that now that the TSB is available, they maybe more prone to doing the repair. I believe that this issue could become common enough to warrant a recall eventually. Since you have not experienced the problem in a while, I would not worry. Besides, I am sure that out of habit now you probably turn the key to ON and wait a second or two to allow the fuel system to come up to pressure before starting.

feloniousmonk

blacksmaru wrote:well if you try and start your car from a cold start, it`ll turn over, but wont crank for about 3-5 secs.... or if you dont hold it that long, it`ll crank the 2nd time you try to start... its been happening to alot of forum users after about 400 or so miles...
Interesting... I have a 2 week old '08 with 260 miles. Lately we've been hitting 100 degrees and I've noticed that on cold starts I have to hold the key for about 2 seconds before it starts. Normally it fires up right away.

kcourtad
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Sedan

must be a HB thing... ... mine takes about 3 cranks to get started... everytime i go to the nissan dealer ship i ask if there is any recalls and they alwas tell me no... so i dont worry about it...

Legacy40k
Car: Versa

Mine was replaced on warranty about a year ago now.

Papillon
Car: 2008 Versa SL HB CVT-silver with ABS/Convenience/Moonroof/Sports Package/Audio Package/Satellite Rad

my car just started having this issue a week ago, and as of today it is barely starting. It wasn't every time initially and I thought maybe I had bad gas, but now with it so bad I am scared to take my car out. I will try calling the dealership tomorrow (but they are probably closed for memorial day)

ETA My car went into the dealership today and my fuel pressure regulator was changed, problem all gone for now. Had a Kia Spectra for a rental today hated that car.
Modified by Papillon at 6:41 PM 5/27/2008

falconxlc
Car: 08 versa

Have same starting problem, brought to dealer and they confirmed fuel regulator problem per Nissan TSB and part was on order. Will get fuel regulator replaced this coming thursday 6-19-2008.

My Nissan Versa HB is 2008 yr model bought in October 2007, currently with 8200 miles. Never had a starting problem until a month ago. Hopefully the new one they replace will not fail.

Slither

srellim234 wrote:Question for the mechanics in here:

Would the low pressure from the faulty fuel pumps affect the gas mileage at all? If so, that might account for the lower than expected mileage out of these cars.
No it's a weight issue the V is heavy for a small car e.g. 480 Ibs heavier than a Yaris.

Despite improvements in technology fuel savings are wiped out by the fact that each manufacturers new model has been growing heavier & larger than the last.

ptgirl

I've had the delayed start problem OVER a year. Taken to several different dealers, but b/c the delayed start doesn't happen every time they will NOT fix it b/c they haven't heard it. Gave up on it, and then saw that the TSB was released and my car had been doing it much more frequently. Took into a new dealer, paper in hand, still under warranty. Service dept. refused to change it b/c it didn't do it again, I even had a video recording of it for proof. It's been acting up ever since. Any recommendations? I'm at my wits end with this car, purchased in August '06 has 30,000mi and ready to dump it. I've contacted national nissan, been through all the outlets I could think of. No help. Any suggestions???

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

ptgirl wrote:I've had the delayed start problem OVER a year. Taken to several different dealers, but b/c the delayed start doesn't happen every time they will NOT fix it b/c they haven't heard it. Gave up on it, and then saw that the TSB was released and my car had been doing it much more frequently. Took into a new dealer, paper in hand, still under warranty. Service dept. refused to change it b/c it didn't do it again, I even had a video recording of it for proof. It's been acting up ever since. Any recommendations? I'm at my wits end with this car, purchased in August '06 has 30,000mi and ready to dump it. I've contacted national nissan, been through all the outlets I could think of. No help. Any suggestions???
Join the ranks of us dumping Versas for other cars?

Sorry to hear about your problems, the dealers I've been working with have been just as apathetic. but if you have actual video as well as the TSB, there should be no reason that it couldn't be fixed.

That reminds me, I need to write a letter...

Andrews Chalmers
Car: Versa '07 SL CVT

Call Nissan USA - and tell them which dealers you've had problems with.

ande

I am a new forum member. I'm having the same problem with my 09 just bought on 7/4/08. Started at about 1800 miles. Very intermittant though and there is no TSB on 09s or my VIN. The dealer claims he never heard of the problem at all and would have to replicate it to fix under warranty. As the dealer I bought it from is quite a distance and they don't know how long it will take to diagnose the problem, should I wait to see if a TSB gets issued for the 09 or until the problem gets worse? Any opinions?Thanks, Ande

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

Find a closer dealer . . . or come up north for a visit -- the dealership I use [and I didn't even buy the car from them] has been great -- they've won me over for next time I buy a car so far

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

zer...age=1

From the Nissanhelp website:" NTB07-094 2007-2008 NISSAN VERSA; LONG CRANK TIMEBEFORE ENGINE START

The engine needs to be cranked for a long time (4-10 seconds) before the engine starts.AndFuel system pressure after engine shutoff drops lower than 200 kPa (29 psi) after 30 minutes time. "-----srellim's note:The TSB calls for replacement of the fuel pressure regulator , not the fuel pump."

Call the dealer and tell them to look up the above TSB number if they want to claim ignorance of the problem. Ask for documentation showing that Nissan made a major change to correct the problem going into the 2009 model year. If they can't, tell them that the problem is obviously extending into the 2009 model year and if they don't commit to taking care of the customer regarding what is a known problem your next call will be to file complaints with both Nissan's national office and the feds about the dealer. Based on what most people have relayed about poor Nissan dealer support you're going to have to be aggressive.

JimBobWay
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

So what has everybody been doing lately with this problem? I have had the regulator replaced with Nissan's new and improved part and one month later it's worst than the first one.

I'm trying to find aftermarket parts and I wouldn't care if I had to do the pump as well aws the regulator to get this tird running again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,Jim

paulebay
Car: '07 versa

Just had mine replaced. '07 SL model. Stalled, and couldn't get it started again, had to be towed...
Had it stall on me in decemeber (but it started after a few cranks), and had to replace the throttle body chamber

Not too impressed with Nissan, don't think i'll be getting another one. Had a '96 maxima, best car ever, no issues whatsoever, went 300+ km and 12yrs. Have an '04 maxima that burns oil like no tommorow, and now this lemon (versa).

Momof3
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback

I have read many comments on this forum and others online. We own a 2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback CVT with 38,900 miles and the fuel pump just went out. I was driving the car about 45 mph and the engine just stopped. Since the car is very light I steered the car safely off roadway but had to have the car towed.

Good news! The 60,000 mile 5 year powertrain warranty covered the replacement of a new fuel pump. But before we knew it was covered we replaced the Fuel Pump Regulator and Gauge but it still would not start. Lesson learned, will always check with Nissan dealer first. Nissan will not pay for the towing.

I am wondering if the new part is better than the original one or will this continue to happen in another 38K miles and then my warranty will be expired. Since there is not a fuel filter to be changed only the entire fuel pump. I am worried that one of my teenagers will be driving the next time and cannot respond as quickly as an adult to safely park car.

Is the gasoline that is manufactured with high prices but poorer quality that causes these failures? Should we spend more money and buy premium gas or buy gas additives? Who knows what to do?????

morgan
Car: Versa

No don't put premium in it. "premium" does not mean its cleaner, premium fuel is more resistant to combustion and in high compression engines resists the pre-ignition that can occur with a less knock resistant fuel. The versa will not benefit from premium fuel and I personally would find a reputable fuel source before I put premium in my V. Disclaimer: Not saying in any way fuel quality has to do with part failure, only wanted to describe the use for premium fuel.
Morgan

veeman

I have a 2012 hb that I bought for my kids last year. It has 9000 miles. Just shut off on my 16 year old in heavy traffic. Luckily it turned out ok but could have been a disaster. Had it towed to the dealer. The tow truck driver told my wife it was probably the fuel pump and he was right. Must be very common. Service guy said the new one wont go bad. Hope not.

Tigermack
Car: 05' Mazda3, 03' 2500HD Duramax, 91' MR2T

Is this the fuel pump problem as well? I replaced the battery last month, starter was checked to be good as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je6yXSHvC84

americanworkmule

Tigermack ,
My Versa sounds exactly like yours in your video!
Have you had your problem diagnosed yet?
Thanks,
Kat

Re: Faulty fuel pump recall!

Postby Tigermack » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:24 pm
Is this the fuel pump problem as well? I replaced the battery last month, starter was checked to be good as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je6yXSHvC84

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”