DIY: FRONT BRAKE PAD & CALIPER REPLACEMENT VIDEO & CHAT

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

zakmartin wrote:I've noticed a lot of bad info on the Rogue Forum as it relates to the vehicle's brakes.
where's the bad info???
I've never seen a caliper that didn't have a rebuild kit. I'm surprised that they're saying it's OEM replacement only. How many parts places did you call? Even the FSM shows you how to re-build a caliper. That alone makes me think that somewhere, out there, there's a kit available. Maybe you can call Courtesy Nissan Parts and see if they have something to sell you.
there is a rebuilt kit, i just didnt feel like going that route. if you spend the money getting the kit, to find out your piston is rusted, or the cylinder is pitted/rusted. not even worth the effort.
shade tree mechanic would use a c-clamp to push the piston back in during a pad change. You should never put pressure against the cylinder end of a forged caliper. Use the special tool to retract the piston. It's like five bucks at Sears. A c-clamp is NOT a brake tool.
while i agree, but lets be real here - most shops use a c-clap. if done slowly and without applying much pressure; it wont crack your caliper. the piston can be pushed back in with your hands; so slowly using a c-clap isnt applying enough pressure to crack the caliper. the pressure from using your braking is much greater, and if that doesnt crack the caliper = i doubt a c-clap slowing working a piston will.
Also, something needs to be said about bleeding brakes. Refer to the FSM. and bleed in this order: Right rear, front left, left rear, right front. Don't let the fluid level in the master cylinder drop below the minimum line. When you're done, fill the reservoir to the max line, re-attach the battery, and you're good. Don't pretend that Nissan didn't spell out this specific procedure in the FSM because they thought it was hilarious.
there are a lot of methods to bleeding. some go right/rear, left rear, front right, left front. some do the total opposite. as long as you do one of those - versus just any at random - you will be fine.
Use only DOT3 (synthetic is fine)
It is NO PROBLEM to mix DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1. All you will do is end up with specs that are between the two in terms of boiling point, etc. What you CANNOT do is throw DOT 5 (silicon based fluid) in with any of the others.
Finally, regarding the bed-in procedure that was posted earlier, each type of pad has its own specific bed-in procedure. Ceramic is different than semi-metallic, which is different than organic, etc.
on street cars, we are talking very minor temp ranges.
Types of rotors may come into play as well.
unless you are talking about carbon ceramic(which is beyond rare unless you are at the track); and except for some motorcycles and karts, all ferrous discs are made from cast iron - an excellent material for the job.
Going 60-5mph 8 times in a row is a good way to cook street pads (and a good way to get a ticket). That is an aggressive bed-in that would only be useful on a big brake / racing kit.
the ticket issue, is not for us to discuss. its not even worth mentioning. ots obvious to anyone that its risky. going from 60-5mph 8 times is just fine, if you allow for a few mins of cooling in between each cycle.
Remember, the brakes on the Nissan Rogue came off of a Sentra-R. In other words, they were made for a small car. When Nissan added 1000 pounds to the mix, all they did was ensure that the brakes would be short-lived.
while i agree, i just have to correct you = its not 1000lbs, its 653lbs LOL

Jerry McCarthy
Car: titan and rogue

Started a brake job today on my girls 2011 Nissan rogue that I advised her to buy after owning a BMW. I have heard how much this car sucks compaired to her BMW but what she doesn't get is she is still $20 grand ahead of the game. I have owned a Titan since 2006 with only 1 major issue being the radiator went right after warranty. When trying to get Caliper seals back into place after replacing pads, seals would not pop back into place after compressing caliper piston back. Went to this website as I have done in the past and I noticed other similar complaints.
Only solutions I seen posted were rebuild or replace the caliper. well I'm basicly cheap and the Calipers were $95 at local auto parts and no rebuild kit was listed.
seals were supple and not showing any cracks so I decided to try again and I eventually got them to pop back in using a pair of needle nose and 2 really dull flat head small screwdrivers. First I loosened the bleeding screw and let out a small amount of brake fluid, then with the needle nose pliers I delicately pulled the seal out all around till the bubble was all around. cracked the bleeding screw again and let another small amount leak out. now with the 2 really dull flat head screw drivers I began working the seal back into place starting on the closed end of the caliper (outside end) after a few minutes I was able to work seal back into place this way popping the seal into place on the open end with my thumbs and 1 of the screw drivers. this worked on both calipers and I hope it saves some of you guys and girls from that wallet breaking $300 + brake job.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Jerry McCarthy wrote:Started a brake job today on my girls 2011 Nissan rogue that I advised her to buy after owning a BMW. I have heard how much this car sucks compaired to her BMW but what she doesn't get is she is still $20 grand ahead of the game. I have owned a Titan since 2006 with only 1 major issue being the radiator went right after warranty. When trying to get Caliper seals back into place after replacing pads, seals would not pop back into place after compressing caliper piston back. Went to this website as I have done in the past and I noticed other similar complaints.
Only solutions I seen posted were rebuild or replace the caliper. well I'm basicly cheap and the Calipers were $95 at local auto parts and no rebuild kit was listed.
seals were supple and not showing any cracks so I decided to try again and I eventually got them to pop back in using a pair of needle nose and 2 really dull flat head small screwdrivers. First I loosened the bleeding screw and let out a small amount of brake fluid, then with the needle nose pliers I delicately pulled the seal out all around till the bubble was all around. cracked the bleeding screw again and let another small amount leak out. now with the 2 really dull flat head screw drivers I began working the seal back into place starting on the closed end of the caliper (outside end) after a few minutes I was able to work seal back into place this way popping the seal into place on the open end with my thumbs and 1 of the screw drivers. this worked on both calipers and I hope it saves some of you guys and girls from that wallet breaking $300 + brake job.
The issue is the piston seal that leaka fluid past it. All you did was prolong the problem that will eventually cause the boot to tear and leak. That will cause fluid to take in air/moisture. That can lead to a brake pedal to fall to the floor

sanrico
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue S

thread bump. Just watched the whole video. EXCELLENT presentation on how to do this job.

Return to “Rogue Forum”