Factory Vs Aftermarket

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
karthik

Hi. I am a long time reader, first time poster. I have been researching a lot on the Rogue, and am waiting for the price to go below MSRP, which is what the dealers are quoting here in Texas right now. I also want to see at least one rogue out in the city, but haven't had a chance yet...Do Texans not like the Rogue?

Anyways, I have a couple of questions about the specs, and would appreciate it if someone can answer the same. I did search the forum for duplicates, but could not find any...

My wife and I have decided on the SL FWD with the premium and moonroof package. She is still undecided on the Leather, so there is a chance that we might go with the SL AWD for the leather package.

Q1: If we get the premium package, we also get the rear foldable cargo organizer. I read somewhere that it replaces the spare wheel which is shown as standard on all models. If thats the case, will we still get a spare wheel when we buy the premium package or won't we? I would think they would - could anyone who got the premium package verify this?

Q2: This is concerning the Bose audio system in the premium package. You get 8 speakers + 6 cd in dash mp3/wma player vs 4 speakers + 1 cd player. Now, there are a couple of things I need that are missing - a usb port (it does have a aux in though, and has controls from the steering), and it doesn't play mp3 dvds. My wife also wants a navigation system, which rogue doesn't have. So my one option would be to go with an after market DVD Navigation system (something like the one from pioneer) that has all the features that we need and then some, or go with the BOSE audio system with the premium package. Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Q3: There is some mention about a security system thats standard on all models. Can anyone verify that and tell me what kind of a system that is? Is it worthwhile to upgrade to an after market security system?

Q4: We have a 4 month old, and hence have a need to install a car seat in the back. Does this mess up the leather if you go with the leather option? This is really important, cause, that is the only reason why we might not go with the leather option. Anyone tried to install a car seat yet?

Thanks for any feedback.

thenate1

The Bose Stereo does have an AUX input (Line in)

karthik

yes it does.

when I wrote:

(it does have a aux in though, and has controls from the steering)

I was referring to the BOSE system. Those are 2 of the +s.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Welcome Karthik! Thanks for joining and posting your questions.. I'm sure we'll have them answered fairly promptly for you as we have a bunch of extremely helpful members who check in pretty regularly.

I'll take a stab at your questions.. as well as I'm able.

1.) I believe you still have the spare tire along with the rear cargo organizer. I checked out a SL AWD at my local dealership and played around with the cargo area. There were two flaps in the back.. one pulled up to reveal the cargo nets and partitions, and the other pulled up to reveal the spare tire and tools.

2.) I'm not really an expert in the audio department with the Rogue yet.. so hopefully someone else can answer this better. But I will say that the best way to satisfy all your needs is probably to get the basic package from Nissan and then buy an aftermarket setup with Navigation, USB, etc.. Most likely the sound quality from a top notch aftermarket player will be an improvement over the Bose system anyhow.. The Bose system is very nice.. but it's still a factory audio system and they never seem to compare to the nicer aftermarket stuff (except the Lexus Marc Levinson systems.. those are rediculous!).

3.) I didn't notice any security system on the model I looked at. I would recommend buying a nice alarm system if you live in a high risk area. However, be careful if you purchase the "SmartKey" system on the Rogue.. I'm not sure an aftermarket system would link up with that properly.

4.) I took my under 2 year old son with me on my first test drive. Didn't check out the leather as they only had cloth. But I was very impressed with the safety features in the back seat for the child seats. They "latch" system is there in the bottom of the seat back and is easy to get at and hook up. The belts also have a ratchet system when pulled fully out so that you can tighten it securely on the child seat. I didn't even look for additional hooks as I understand the latch and regular belt are quite sufficient.

Leather is really nice for kids by the way.. it is soooo easy to clean off. You might consider putting a rag or some cloth under the car seat so it doesn't scratch into the leather.. It shouldn't harm it at all.. but just to be safe..

Hope this helps.. surely others can chime in and give some additional first-hand experience.

Good luck in your shopping.

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

Security System info pretty basic but better than nothing.from the manual.

Your vehicle has two types of security systems,as follows:. Vehicle security system. NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer SystemThe security condition will be shown by thesecurity indicator light.VEHICLE SECURITY SYSTEMThe vehicle security system provides visual andaudio alarm signals if someone opens the doors,or lift gate when the system is armed. It is not,however, a motion detection type system thatactivates when a vehicle is moved or when avibration occurs.The system helps deter vehicle theft but cannotprevent it, nor can it prevent the theft of interioror exterior vehicle components in all situations.Always secure your vehicle even if parking for abrief period. Never leave your keys in the vehicle,and always lock it when unattended. Be awareof your surroundings, and park in secure, well-litareas whenever possible.Many devices offering additional protection,such as component locks, identification markers,and tracking systems, are available at autosupply stores and specialty shops. YourNISSAN dealer may also offer such equipment.Check with your insurance company to see ifyou may be eligible for discounts for varioustheft protection features.SECURITY SYSTEMSInstruments and controls 2-19

aztecnyc

Hello..In the Rogue Brochure under the category of Safety/Security it does state that there is a Nissan Immobilizer system as well as a security system. When I took a test drive, I saw the red light flashing.

nissantech06
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

Well...I have noticed something, the center dash with the radio looks very similar to the Altima...why not get the Bose system and later on install an aftermarket nav when the kit becomes available? That way, you will have the upgraded speakers AND have nav? (I have heard the Logic7 systems in BMWs...I had to exit the car for fear of losing my hearing LOL.)

As far as a spare tire goes, the only car companies that can get away with on spare on a car is if the car has run-flat or PAX tires. The reason being is that they act like their own spare when the tire runs out of air, 50 miles doing 50MPH. The only problem is, you are technically NOT supposed to repair those tires. They develop weak sidewalls and will not be able to withstand another run-flat.

The security system in question is the red light that flashes on your dash with the key logo inside it. If you lock your car and someone unlocks it from inside the car without the key, the alarm will go off. This is why I never understood installing aftermarket alarms in any kind of car with a factory system...don't you think the factory designed it to work properly?

karthik

Thanks all for the feedback. That answered all the questions I had.

Thanks for that insight into Leather Eikon. I had always assumed that leather would be much worse to maintain with kids around - but come to think about it, it's actually the other way around -

Ticmxman & aztecnyc, the nissan site kept referring to a security system as standard, but there was no specs listed anywhere - your answers cleared my doubts. thanks.

I am still undecided on the audio system though. I am looking for a solution that doesn't end up with wires all over the place - like an aftermarket portable navi system - my wife really hates wires ! . But the premium package does have its own +s.

I am not a big fan of those Bose home audio systems, so I'm not really sold on just the name. But I do hear that the car audio systems are really good.

nissantech06, do you know if the rogue's sound system is atleast half as good as the Logic7 system that you heard on the BMW?

Can anyone verify the sound quality of the BOSE system?

Thanks again for all your feedbacks.

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

I think the Bose system sound very very good... much better than a CRV EX or EXL and better than the JBL in the RAV4, the display is also much better than the Honda or Toyota. Is it better than highend aftermarket? I can't say I'm no audiophile.

nissantech06
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

karthik wrote:
nissantech06, do you know if the rogue's sound system is atleast half as good as the Logic7 system that you heard on the BMW?

Can anyone verify the sound quality of the BOSE system?

Thanks again for all your feedbacks.
NO WAY. The Logic7 system is a $4500 option on most BMWs. As far as the Bose system, ever hear how a stock L32 Altima sounds with a Bose system? Very similar, meaning good, but not THE BEST.

If you install an aftermarket Nav system with a wiring harness and the Bose adapter, you won't have many wires to worry about, they will be BEHIND the dash.

ddaisydee76
Car: 2008 Orange Alloy Nissan Rogue

1) The spare tire IS there on all models. It doesnt' look like there's room for a full-size spare tire (and we had read that somewhere) due to the cargo organizer.

As an interesting aside, the Bose subwoofer is stored on the hub of the spare tire. Kind of interesting use of space.

2) The Bose system DOES play MP3's and WMA's. Look at my other post ("Rogue Oddities") where you can see the MP3 logo on the stereo. Interestingly, the WMA logo is not on there, which surprised me because I thought that in order to license the WMA capability from Microsoft would also require the display of the logo. Guess not.

My wife did a TON of research regarding replacing the radio with a nav system. (It is, after all, her car.) There are a few problem with it. The plastic bezel that covers the stereo in the Rogue is curved at the bottom to follow the contour of the dash. Our local chain of high-end stereo installers said that it will be about 1 year before aftermarket bezels come out that will also curve at the bottom.

The Bose stereo also has a center speaker up above the center vents. Mounting a nav system there will be quite a challenge as they'll have to move that speaker.

Finally, you'll likely lose use of the bluetooth buttons in the steering wheel until an adapter (or schematics) comes out mapping the bluetooth buttons to the back of aftermarket stereos.

Our installer said he could make an external screen look like it was molded into the dash, but it would cost about $2,000 in installation costs (over the $2,200 cost of the Pioneer nav system) because of the custom molding he'd have to do.

3) Haven't played with the security system yet.

4) Not sure why a car seat would mess up the leather. Because of imprints? Our first one is due in June , so we're a little far away from playin with car seats yet.

- ddaisydee76's husband

karthik

Thanks all for the feedback.

From ddaisydee76's husband's post, it sure looks like a lot of hassle to go with an aftermarket system at this time. I guess the best bet is to go with the premium package and get the other goodies that come with it.

ddaisydee76's husband:

As far as the bose system playing mp3 and wma, I know it does - I was looking to see if it would play a mp3 dvd or FLACS - cause I have all my music stored as either mp3s or FLACS on DVDs, and currently have no way of playing those in my car, leave alone my DVD player at home.

And yes, I was worried about the carseat leaving imprints on the leather

Thanks again all.peace.

rjuarezjr915
Car: ROGUE

Sorry to disapoint any one that has the Bose system they bought the Bose name thats all it is if you ever compare real bose speakers against factory installed bose speakers they look sooo cheap. I did the research my self and then went to a few well known car stero places and they confirmed. I had a Grandprix with the Bose system and while it sounds lounder do to an amp if you replace it with a well know after market set it will sound amazing. My buddy also had a tahoe with the Bose system yeah it looks nice but the pos speakers blew right away we just replaced them with some bad azz Focals.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Yeah, I got the SL model without the Premium Package because I wanted to save the money and specifically the BOSE system didn't impress me. I compared it to the base system and they sounded pretty similar in tems of quality, although the extra 2 speakers and more power made a bit of a difference. If it was a true BOSE system with amazing quality I may have opted for the premium package which includes a moonroof in Canada, but for the money the options just didn't excite me enough. I love my SL without the premium pack, the stereo is decent!!

boooey

I think the Bose unit sounds very good. Of course its not going to be top of the line. Like a previous poster said. its still a factory installed unit.

The 6CD changer, XM Satellite, 7 speakers, MP3 player, and subwoofer are all decent enough Radio features of a good sounding Head unit to warrant the total price of the premium package for the non audiophiles out there..

Don't forget people... you also get quite a bit more than just the radio in the Premium package...For me personally, the Premium Package was absolutely worth it.

Premium Package (FWD)Includes Bose premium audio system with 7 speakers, subwoofer, AM/FM radio with 6-disc in-dash CD changer with MP3 capability and RDS, XM satellite radio, steering wheel mounted audio controls, speed sensitive volume, transmission paddle shifters, trip computer, outside temperature display, foldable cargo organizer, tonneau cover, 2 luggage side trim hooks, fold-down passenger seat, driver seatback pocket, dual illuminated visor mirrors, center console box with dual-level tray, tow hitch pre-wire, front fog lights, and mood lighting.

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

I think Nissan went a toke over the line with the $2200 price tag on the premium package. $1800 would be more like it. I, like you, really like most of the premium items. Betcha a numbers of the items will be standard on the '09s.

Leo2005

I would love to buy the rogue with premium but I wouldn't touch the radio at all. It's not worth it to overspend for the radio and then replace it with something else. It is better to buy a basic rogue in this case. In my story I needed a car very badly but the dealer didn't have black/black with premium so I bought without a premium. Spare tire is standard but on premium comes with woofer. Anyway...if you prefer keep the car stock then buy with premium and portable nav. Otherwise go with basic so you can upgrade the car the way you want it.

Diminuendo
Car: 2010 Rogue

Anyone have any pics/guides on getting the factory radio out? I'm hoping for a little heads up on what I'm getting into before I start prying at things with a screwdriver.

philipa_240sx

There are links to the Service Manuals in the Official Rogue FAQ that should give you all the information you need. The AV section covers the audio system, while the INT covers the door panels and IP the instrument panel & center console.

Return to “Rogue Forum”