Factory Tweeter Mod

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
lzrj
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Just did this to mine yesterday after coming across this post. It was pretty easy and I really have no experience in radio stuff, soldering, and how it all works. It took me about an hour. I was unable to get the white tabs that hold the bracket to the pillar to make that 1/4 turn to take off the whole bracket. I used a little force but nothing. I was afraid I was about to snap them off so I ended up just unscrewing the speaker from the bracket and disconnected the wire. It took me a little longer to get the new capacitor wire soldered to the posts. I've only soldered like twice in my life and not very good at it. It was hard to hold the capacitor in place, wire in place, hold the solder gun, and the new solder itself all at the same time. I really needed four hands but I was able to come up with a creative way to make it happen. I do agree that the music does sound better now. It was worth doing.

GRNMACHINE
Car: 1999.5 Pathfinder SE 4x4

Any have some good spare tweets laying around? Want to try this, drivers side tweet has had an intermittent "blown" sound since new. Dealer was never able to duplicate and it hasnt really been too bad until recently. Cant complain for 12 yr old speakers... Figured it would be easier to try this mod while the tweet is out.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

diablo9420 is parting out his Pathfinder, see if he still has the tweeters.

flojr
Car: 2002 Nissan Maxima GLE

Came across this post while looking for alternate solution. Tried this and makes a world of difference. Pillar speakers are much more lively and vocals jump out! Has anyone resolved the issue of Bose drop-outs? That is what I was looking to resolve. Right channel seems to just drop out, not totally, but like most of the 1st 3 or 4 eq bands just drop! Cranking the volume restores or "awakens" the sound for awhile at any volume level. I have replaced head unit twice, including current Sony. Replaced Bose amp with another Bose AMP; improved where it is not as sensitive but still there. This is very irritating as over the numerous forum discussions, the only true resolution seems to be a total replacement of all components. Hard to believe that a company with Bose reputation and their presence in Audi, Cadillac, Nissan and others, would allow this problem to persist. Yet, it seems to be quite prevalent. Any suggestions? :confused:

IndianScout
Car: 2000 Maxima GLE / Bose
1995 Pathfinder XE

actually the 2.2uf would make it about 15k and the 4.7uf would move the x-over point down to about 9000,

shouldn't hurt the tweeters at all..

I ran speaker wires from my door speakers up the pillars to the tweeter and hooked them to the built in x-over in my 2 way Pioneer's, I did it in both the front and back, sounds really good, specially pushing 100w to each..

mateen110
Car: Nissan Pathfinder

Hate to bump an old thread but I just did this mod. What a difference. Thanks to OP for pointing this out.

However, I should note that the capacitors must be bipolar (non polar).

AlanAZ
Car: 2003 QX4 rwd

However, I should note that the capacitors must be bipolar (non polar.)
Thank you Mateen, for pointing that important fact out.

Here's an audio parts website that has the required Non-Polarized crossover capacitors in various values, including 4.7 (and 5.6 and 6.8uF if someone wishes to lower the crossover frequency further):

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/crosso ... citors/292

and a crossover calculator:

http://www.bcae1.com/passxovr.htm

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”