EX35 Replacement Tires

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

gkdyeung wrote:so my dealer tells me i'm due for tires soon (there'll all sitting at 3-4/32).
then when it came time to changing my brakes (which i did elsewhere), the shop showed me one of the tires was worn to the steel belt... that sound like 3-4/32 to any of you?!? sorry if this isn't so relevant for this thread.. but just had to vent about the quality control...
so now on the market for premier a/s... to replace my primacy mxv4 225/55R18.
any folks make the exact same switch?
would i go with the exact same size?
the michelin website spits out 225/60R17 99 H when i enter vehicle details (2010)... but i think the website assumes i have the stock 17's and not the upgraded 18s.
g
Depending on the wear pattern of the tire with exposed belts, I'd suggest you get your alignment checked when you get new tires.

If you were happy with the Michelins in the stock size (225/55R18), I'd say to stick with that size. Unless you're super picky about certain aspects of your car's ride and handling, I don't see any reason to go with a different size. Also, I think you're right about the error on the Michelin site.

There are a couple of members here who have put the Premier A/S on their rides, but I don't know if any of them were replacing the MXV4.

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

When shopping for tires, you want to consider the weight of the tire also. I could not believe how heavy some named brand tires are. So far for my 225/60/17 tire size I see weight from 22 to 30 IBS. A 3+ Ibs of free unsprung weight can make a big difference on how the car accellerate and how the suspension handles turns etc. heavy tire also has more rolling resistance.

23-24 IBs is decent, but that is just one side of the equation. You have to tally the weight of the rims too. I normally weigh my tire/rims installed inflated at 34 PSI on a bathroom scale.

Total of 46 Ibs or less for rims/tire combo is ideal. That means ideally, 20 ibs rims and 25ibs tire give or take.

Remember lighter tire/rim combo is good for stop and go traffic. This is where we get a better MPG. Lighter shoe is better than a boots from dead stop and tranny gearing is not in over drive. Cruising on the highway is a different equation since the tranny is on overdrive and doesnot matter if wheels/tire are heavy or not.

AWGD8

Unsprung weight explained.

http://youtu.be/eyduJwqdU-8

AWGD8

I finally ordered Continental PureContact 235/55/17
It is only 23 Ibs.

http://www.continentaltire.com/product/ ... r=55&rd=17

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

Nice!
I tried to reply to your PM but you have it set to not receive...

Mine are Pirelli P6 plus... 225/60/R17. I am sure yours will look great.

AWGD8

Xis, I will check my PM settings. Your tire does not look 60 series aspect ratio. I believe some tire profile(depending on the brand) makes 60 series looks 55... Like yours :

I still have 3.5-4/32" tread left on the old tire. I already asked my installer that I will take home the old tires. Not sure if I have to trade in my EX35 next year and hate to give them a brand new tires. :biggrin:

Will post pics soon! but I bet I have a lot of wheel well space in it on a 17" rims with 55 tire profile.

AWGD8

I just got the Continental Pure Contact 235/55/17.

This is as quiet as the stock Michelin Latitude. A lot better looking profile than my 225/60/17. Ride is not bumpy, but just a little bit stiffer than the OEM. My real speed vs the speedo is about 2MPH slower than the original 225/60/17. (base on my GPS radar detector). Speedo of 40MPH I am actually travelling at 38MPH.

If you have 17 rims, 235/55/17 is a great option too! I like the way it looks on my 17" rims. The wheel well space is not even noticable.

I highly recommend it!

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

:worthless:

dude... does it need to be said? :rotfl

AWGD8

XIS wrote::worthless:

dude... does it need to be said? :rotfl

Here you go sir! (Warning dirty pics inside- :gapteeth: ) Pls. click picture for better resolution. I did not clean the tires and rims yet after they mount it.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

Looks good!.
I think you were right about mine. the Pirelli 60's look like your 55's

AWGD8

XIS wrote:Looks good!.
I think you were right about mine. the <a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" href="http://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/brands/pirelli/products" rel="nofollow"><span>Pirelli</span></a> 60's look like your 55's
That is the 2nd Pirelli tires that I came across with that has profile that looks shorter than it's actual size.

I have a friend who had 55 series Pirelli tires way back in the 90's that looks like 50 series....

gkdyeung
Car: 2010 EX35 AWD with Tech
Black on Black

91,750km and 3 years later.... i mounted a new set of michelin primiers... here's what's left of 1 of my primacy mxv4s... and this is supposedly one of the better ones... arguably i probably waited too long... and i hate to leave you in suspense... but how does one upload a jpg from one's desktop... not an online source.

NJGuy

Nicoclub doesn't give users the option to upload and attach images directly to their posts. You'll have to share the image via a photo hosting site.

I'm not sure why, but it is the site policy. It probably helps the site run more quickly and efficiently.

webster

What size Contis did you get ?
Thanks,

ArcticBlue
Car: 2011 AWD Journey/Premium Pkg

Of whom are you inquiring?

roark187
Car: 2008 EX35

Just put 255s on my ride. Handles way better.

AWGD8

I find the Goodyear RSA on my stock Q40 is a lot tighter on turns. I noticed this when I swapped my Q40 rims/tire combo into my EX35. The EX35 ride tighter with this combo.
(225/55/17). The Pure contact Conti 235/55/17 from the EX35 is now in my Q40. It is slightly softer than the Goodyear RSA.

NJGuy

Well, it's just about time for me to go tire shopping again, so I figure I'd revive this thread.

My Michelins are 4+ years old and have well over 80K miles on them. They have about 4/32" of tread depth remaining; but I think I'll change them out now more so due to age. The rubber compound seems to have hardened a bit and doesn't handle cold or wet weather quite as well as fresh rubber. These tires pretty much met my expectations, and in some ways (like treadwear) have exceeded them. It's too bad that they're discontinued, or I would have seriously considered getting another set.

Anyway, I've been casually shopping around for a new set. I'm primarily interested in all-season tires with decent snow and wet weather traction. This time around I'll probably stick with the stock size. Here's a list of my favorites:

1. Continental True Contact, 225/60R17 99H;
2. General Altimax RT43, 225/60R17 99H;
3. Michelin Premier LTX, 225/60R17 99V;
4. Michelin Premier A/S, 225/60R17 99H.

The Continental and General tires are really close in terms of how I'd rate them, with a slight nod going to the True Contacts (I think it's kinda funny that they're both part of the same company). The Michelins are lower on the list because they don't seem to be as good of a value. My other vehicle is going to need new tires soon as well, so I really don't feel like spending the extra coin on the Michelins unless I can truly justify it. While I don't expect the Continentals and Generals to be treadwear champions, it appears as if these newer Michelins don't seem to do quite as well as they used to in that area.

If anyone has experience (short or long term) with any of these tires, I'd be more than happy to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

AWGD8

I have around 18k miles on my Continental
Pure contact and I highly recommend this if you hate changing snow tires on winter season. I no longer use my snow tires after using this purecontact one.
I believe the Conti pure contact has a snow symbol on the tire too. That means it is rated for snow.

The tread depth is way better than stock micheline tiresthat come with my Q40.

If I have to buy another set if tires, I would definitely go with the Conti Purecontact. :dblthumb:

BTW, I see that you are looking at True Contact Conti. If this has a snow symbol like what I have, I'll get it for sure.

BTW, the reason why I mentioned on my previous post why my conti purecontact is softer on turns is bec. the tire width is 235 vs the 225 size and I found out that my aftermarket rim width is 7 not 7.5
So there is this pinching of rubber that past the width ofmy rims which tends to slightly makes the car roll a bit. 225 width should be perfect.

The PureContact has a tire ratings of
Treadwear :700 / Temp: A / Traction : A

NJGuy

AWGD8 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:36 pm
I have around 18k miles on my Continental
Pure contact and I highly recommend this if you hate changing snow tires on winter season. I no longer use my snow tires after using this purecontact one.
I believe the Conti pure contact has a snow symbol on the tire too. That means it is rated for snow.

The tread depth is way better than stock micheline tiresthat come with my Q40.

If I have to buy another set if tires, I would definitely go with the Conti Purecontact. :dblthumb:

BTW, I see that you are looking at True Contact Conti. If this has a snow symbol like what I have, I'll get it for sure.

BTW, the reason why I mentioned on my previous post why my conti purecontact is softer on turns is bec. the tire width is 235 vs the 225 size and I found out that my aftermarket rim width is 7 not 7.5
So there is this pinching of rubber that past the width ofmy rims which tends to slightly makes the car roll a bit. 225 width should be perfect.

The PureContact has a tire ratings of
Treadwear :700 / Temp: A / Traction : A

Man, you had to do this :) . While I kind of wanted to stick with the OEM size, you just might have swayed me into something different. I don't think the PureContacts are offered in the OEM size; I think I can only get them in the 235/55R17 size. Plus as a self-proclaimed "tire snob", it's almost impossible to resist how "sexy" the more performance oriented tires are. :naughty:

I don't have a set of winter tires, as I have found it difficult to justify purchasing another set. Usually I get all-seasons that can handle the snow, though not excel in it.

The TrueContacts seem to be a better tire on paper in most aspects when compared to the PureContacts. The survey results on TireRack have them rated higher in almost every category. However, when I dove into the product reviews, there were lots of comments about rapid treadwear on the TrueContacts. The reviews on PureContacts seemed show that they tended to be more on par with the expected treadwear and the claimed mileage warranty. The last set of Continentals I had wore pretty much in line with their treadwear warranty, and to get a new set that does not fulfill that expectation would result in a big letdown.

The only thing the PureContact has going against it is the higher price. However, if it meets my expectations I guess I should get what I pay for. I might just go with that tire, as it's still going to cost less than the Michelins. The fact that Continental is offering a $70 rebate would make this purchase a bit easier to swallow.

The PureContacts have an asymmetrical tread pattern. They also appear to be non-directional. Can you confirm this? Also, if you could report your average treadwear over those 18K miles, and any other comments about or issues with the tire, I'd really appreciate it.

So I'll have to contemplate going this route and make a decision soon. It's likely that I'm going to get a new set next week.

AWGD8

NJGuy:

I love the Conti that I have for snow. Definitely a non-directional tread pattern with D-S-W treadware gauge for you to visually check too.

I did use these tires about 2 months on the EX35 and and now currently
16,780 miles on the Q40 awd.
Probably around 18-19k miles total.

I just measured the tire depth for all tires.
Front Driver: 7/32"
Rear Driver: 7/32"

Front passenger: 7/32"
Rear passenger : 7/32"

I'm not sure what was the brand new tire tread depth, but It should be on the online specs.

BTW, It has an eco plus technology and also made in France.

I got these from the Discountire.com local shop.
April 2015 according to my previous post here with pics..

Measured in the middle inner tire tread.

Jon2010EX35
Car: 2010 EX35 RWD

I drive in So Cal. I just went from 225/60R17 to a 235/55R17 and handling improved: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
The next time I need to replace tires, I might get taller/wider wheels. I'm always looking to improve handling.

wysguymd
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35

Just replaced the Perelli Cinturato P7 with Michelin Premier LTXs. Paid $625 total for 4 tires at Costco including install. Huge difference in noise level, Michelin are super quiet. Ride seems to be less harsh, as well. Handling isn't as good - nothing major but noticed a "slippery" feel going around exit ramps, but haven't lost grip. (The Michelin website claims the A/S tires have better handling, but are not available for purchase for this size.) The Perellis had a 70k mile warranty but only lasted about 45k.

NJGuy

I'm not surprised to hear about the differences you experienced between the premiers and the cinturatos. The premiers lean more towards comfort while the cinturatos lean more towards sportiness. The Michelins probably have a softer sidewall than the Pirellis, resulting in less handling prowess. Also keep in mind that the Michelins are brand new with full tread. There might be a bit of tread squirm compared to the worn Pirellis.

I don't think I've seen anyone else here running the Premier LTX, so it would be interesting to hear more about how they perform overall in everyday driving.

schaffs04
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD Premium. Blue Slate/Wheat

Somewhat relevant, I had the Premier LTX on my Mercedes GL450 when the stock Michelins gave up. Put 20k miles on them before I dumped the truck for other reasons. I will say they were smooth, quiet, and handled my throwing a 6,400 lb suv around remarkebly well.

Its worth noting they were also the only tire that had the audacity to put a 60k warranty on the specific aspect ratio for GL450s with the 20 inch rims. They also cost 30% less than every other option.

Those trucks are very well known for shredding tires every 20-30k, and mine were wearing very well 1/3 through the warranty period. It's what happens when you try to make something the size and shape of a Tahoe ride like an S-class.

piSSko
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35 AWD

guys one noob question :) can I put 235/55/17 tires on my OEM rims for tires 225/60/17? looking to get the same ones like NJGuy is going to as they are on discount now at Costco.

thanks,

NJGuy

Running with the 235/55R17 tires shouldn't be a problem. I ran that size for 80K+ miles and had no issues. There are others here who changed to that size as well, and it looks like they're all happy with the change. Keep in mind that if you choose to go with a non-OEM spec tire (in terms of size, speed rating, load rating, etc.), Costco might not want to install them on your vehicle due to liability reasons; so you might have to get them installed somewhere else. Also, it'll probably make it harder to get any warranty support should you have an issue with the tires. You may want to talk to the folks at their tire center to see what your options are.

This time around, I didn't go with the Michelins. I went with the Continental TrueContacts, as the deal seemed too good to pass up at the time. They are the OEM size and I've got about 3K on them. I don't want to get into too much detail about my experience with them but I will say that I like them so far. They don't handle quite as well as the Michelins I had, though they are definitely more comfortable. And whats more important is that my wife likes the way the car drives now compared to when the car had the old tires.

EX35WinterBeater
Car: Summer: 2003 Honda S2000
Winter: 2008 Infiniti EX35

I just picked up some 235/55/18 Nokia Hakka winter tires that I'll be mounting in the next week or two. I'm trying to find a nice set of aftermarket 18" wheels for cheap to mount them too, but haven't found the right deal yet. They're supposed to be one of the best winter tires out there.

I also picked up a G37S exhaust last weekend, hoping to get that on in the next week or two as well!

piSSko
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35 AWD

NJGuy thanks for the reply! Regarding the warranty and Costco policy I though of it... hmm ok, will see what kind of deal they have for Continental TrueConacts. Right now I have Pirelli P7 and am not satisfy with them cause they are finished at 40k miles already...

Vroom!
Car: 2008 AWD EX35 Journey

NJGuy wrote:
Wed May 29, 2013 6:44 am

Here are the tires I've seriously looked at (in order of preference):
Top Tier
1. Michelin Primacy MXV4, 235/55R17 99H SL
2. Nokian WRG2 SUV, 235/60R17 106V XL
Second Tier
3. Goodyear Assurance Comfortread Touring, 225/60R17 98H SL
4. Continental PureContact, 235/55R17 99H SL
5. Michelin Latitude Tour HP, 235/55R17 99H SL
Third Tier
6. Goodyear Assurance TripleTread, 225/60R17 98H SL
7. Michelin Latitude Tour HP, 225/60R17 98V SL (OEM)
8. Nokian WRG3, 235/55R17 103V XL

Hey, NJGuy- realize this was some time ago, but really appreciate your detailed review. Any changes you would make?
Thanks! :bowrofl:

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”