EX35 Replacement Tires

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
TimGinCentralNJ
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX Journey AWD

meanie wrote:
Bingle wrote: I just replaced my 19 inch Bridgestone Turanzas this winter at roughly 45k. I have no complaints about them, but they are pricey. After a lot of indecision and pondering the ratings and feedback on Tire Rack I choose Hancook Ventus S1 Noble2 for good all round tires that have to contend with New England weather and pot holes. They are reasonably priced and so far have proven better in the snow, as quiet on smooth roads, but boomier on rough ones, with handling at least as good as the Turanzas. I hope they last as long.
I think you'll find that 19" tires on the whole are pricey. Have never found anyone who could explain why that is, but as a comparison, I have priced both 18" tires and 20" tires and the prices, in general, are noticeably less than 19" tires. Weird, right? :)

Tim

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

eaadams wrote:CostCo tells me the 225/55R-18 Michelin Primacy MXV4 are discontinued.

I live in California so I don't care about weather. I just want quiet and comfort.

suggestions?

I'd lean toward getting an 'H' rated tire here if that's what you're looking for. Looking at 'H' rated tires really opens up your options a lot more. Though not always the case, they do tend to be geared more towards comfort and less performance oriented than 'V' rated models. Most of the tires you'd probably be looking at would be some type of all-season grand touring tire.

Just throwing a few model names out there that might fit the bill for you:
Goodyear Assurance Comfortread Touring
Michelin Premier A/S
Yokohama Avid Ascend
Nitto NT421Q
Continental ProContact TX (this tire is brand new, so there's practically no info about this tire out there from owners yet)

I'd also see if Costco, or any other tire shop in your area, would be willing to mount a non 'V' speed rated tire on your EX.

eaadams

My yokos ran out so I gowanted to get t Michelin Primacy MXV4's. Instead I ended up with the Premiere A/S

I couldn't be more happy. The car is substantially more quiet on the road.

I live in California so no weather or rain to worry about.

Happy camper here. Thanks for the suggestions.

TomT
Car: 2010 Blue Slate EX 35 Journey RWD with Bose/Navi package

Glad to hear you like the Premier's. Local Costco has them in stock. I'm going to grab a set. Just waiting for Michelin's to go on sale again (September).

bokingwen
Car: Infiniti EX 35

It is time to change my tires, right now I have the factory Michelin latitude. I was going to get the same tires until I call up Discount tires, the guy told me the Michelin latitude has been discounted. He recommended the Pirelli P7, as I read this post this P7 tire is also recommend and some people are driving on it. I live in Chicago so I need something that can handle the crazy snow we get in the winters.

Costco they have the Michelin A/S in stock but according to Michelin's website the A/S is for passenger car. So which one I should get the Michelin A/S or the Pirelli P7?

TimGinCentralNJ

bokingwen wrote:It is time to change my tires, right now I have the factory Michelin latitude. I was going to get the same tires until I call up Discount tires, the guy told me the Michelin latitude has been discounted. He recommended the Pirelli P7, as I read this post this P7 tire is also recommend and some people are driving on it. I live in Chicago so I need something that can handle the crazy snow we get in the winters.

Costco they have the Michelin A/S in stock but according to Michelin's website the A/S is for passenger car. So which one I should get the Michelin A/S or the Pirelli P7?

From my reading, the new Michelin A/S Premier is less of a sport-oriented tire (not saying it's not good--I loved every Michelin tire I've owned) and the Pirelli seems to be slightly more sport-oriented. They're both listed as being in the "grand touring" category, so depending on your driving style, I don't think you could go wrong with either tire. Both have been rated very highly by customers. I will say the wet traction claims of their A/S tire (and the fact it retains its wet stopping power even when well worn) is very interesting, and if anyone could pull that off, my money's on Michelin.

Hope that helps,
Tim

bokingwen

I ordered the P7 via discount tires will keep you guys posted.

bokingwen

I been driving on the P7 for a few weeks now. I did not notice any major difference between the stock tires. Actually I feel the P7 is a smoother drive than the stock tires, I will recommend it.

TomT
Car: 2010 Blue Slate EX 35 Journey RWD with Bose/Navi package

Well I've had the Premier's for a couple of weeks now and I can't really tell much difference between them and the stock Latitude's I replaced. Hopefully they will last longer.

ArcticBlue
Car: 2011 AWD Journey/Premium Pkg

I replaced the OEM Bridgestones with these:
http://tinyurl.com/n4taws8
$900 out the door from my local tire guy. After 1200 or so miles, I am hugely impressed - dry road handling is exponentially improved - it drives like a sports car; rain and even slush/light snow (so far) traction are similarly impressive.
I've had the immediate predecessor to these Continentals on my Jag for several years, and they've served me well - far better than several Michelin and Pirelli models have, on that same vehicle.
No complaints, and no affiliation to any of the above. :-)

TimGinCentralNJ

bokingwen wrote:I ordered the P7 via discount tires will keep you guys posted.
Any follow-ups on the Pirellis? And these were the All-Season Plus version, correct?

Thanks!
Tim

TimGinCentralNJ

ArcticBlue wrote:I replaced the OEM Bridgestones with these:
http://tinyurl.com/n4taws8
$900 out the door from my local tire guy. After 1200 or so miles, I am hugely impressed - dry road handling is exponentially improved - it drives like a sports car; rain and even slush/light snow (so far) traction are similarly impressive.
I've had the immediate predecessor to these Continentals on my Jag for several years, and they've served me well - far better than several Michelin and Pirelli models have, on that same vehicle.
No complaints, and no affiliation to any of the above. :-)
Good to know. Out of curiosity, what size rims are you running?

I've been agonizing over what to get next myself. I know the Contis are the forerunners when it comes to winter traction, but I've also heard their sidewalls are pretty mushy and don't do much for the handling..which is likely exacerbated by the tall sidewall if you're running the stock 17" rims like I am. I would also have to switch to a 235/55-17 since that Conti doesn't come in stock size which, fundamentally, I'm ok with even though it alters the speedometer reading by 1-2 MPH.

I've read/heard a lot of comments about Contis (especially this model) coming from the factory with quality issues, and their lack of resilience to pot holes (again because of the thinner sidewalls), but at the same time, I also know they're killer in the white stuff.

Thanks!
Tim

ArcticBlue
Car: 2011 AWD Journey/Premium Pkg

"Good to know. Out of curiosity, what size rims are you running?"
245/45-19 on the EX; 255/40-18 on the XJR. Never a problem with the handling on the Jag, which is a VERY heavy car, and driven with considerable enthusiasm.

NJGuy

Tim,

Did the forecasts of today's snowstorm push you to revisit your tire buying?

For some odd reason, I'm kind of excited to see which tires you end up choosing. Since you say getting a set of tires is like being "married" to them, it's as if I'm watching "The Bachelor" on TV (not that I've ever watched it :gapteeth: ). You're down to the final contestants. Who will get the final rose? The front runner Conti's, who is fun and exciting, but can have episodes of drama at times? The popular Pirelli's, with the steadier personality? Or will you drop a bombshell and surprise us with someone else from the past? The suspense is huge! :chuckle:

I guess we'll find out on Monday 9pm Eastern/8pm Central... or whenever you do eventually make the purchase. Let us know!

TimGinCentralNJ

NJGuy wrote:Tim,

For some odd reason, I'm kind of excited to see which tires you end up choosing. Since you say getting a set of tires is like being "married" to them, it's as if I'm watching "The Bachelor" on TV (not that I've ever watched it :gapteeth: ). You're down to the final contestants. Who will get the final rose? The front runner Conti's, who is fun and exciting, but can have episodes of drama at times? The popular Pirelli's, with the steadier personality? Or will you drop a bombshell and surprise us with someone else from the past? The suspense is huge! :chuckle:

I guess we'll find out on Monday 9pm Eastern/8pm Central... or whenever you do eventually make the purchase. Let us know!
NJGuy-

Thanks for your post; I just shot diet coke out of my nose after reading it :rotfl

In brief, yes, yes--and yes! I had planned on pulling the trigger on the Pirellis a couple of weeks ago..that is until the latest home emergency rears its ugly head (gutters needed to be replaced...and prior to that, our entire stoop, steps and sidewalk to the tune of $3K. Ain't older home ownership great?). So, I'm hoping I'll be in a position to purchase tires next week....assuming it doesn't interfere with the missus' holiday shopping rampage...and my annual sling-shotting into holiday debt.

For those of you out there in TV land who are waiting with bated breath, I'm thinking I will be forgoing the Conti Extreme DWS; other than our 1 fellow board member who just chimed in with positive experiences, I've been reading too many reviews of owners (and spoken with a couple of friends as well) running them in 40 and 45 Series sidewalls who still complain they are too mushy and ruin the handling of their cars. I can only imagine how that will translate in a 55 series sidewall as I would need for my 17" rims.

My "dark horse" plan is to take the missus' Explorer out for a ride in a few minutes (since we've gotten about 4+ inches of white stuff on the ground as I'm typing) and try out her Nitto NT 421Q's in the snow for the first time. These tires have been out for well over 2 years, and I have yet to find a single owner review on them. Personally, I've found them to be really great tires across-the-board and in all weather conditions, but haven't tried them in snow yet. And as luck turns out, they DO come in stock 225/60-17 sizes :naughty: and are pretty cheap, to boot.

Stay tuned and thanks for the laugh (my monitor needed a good cleaning anyway) ;)

Tim

mrzuzzo
Car: '08 EX35 Journey AWD

Interesting to see that you guys like the Michelin Primacy tires...

I have them on my EX and they handle like absolute s*** in wet weather. The other day a Fiat 500e was on my a** in the hills and I almost killed myself on a turn trying to go faster. Huge loss of traction in every turn. The Fiat passed me and sped off...

:wtf2:

TimGinCentralNJ

mrzuzzo wrote:Interesting to see that you guys like the Michelin Primacy tires...

I have them on my EX and they handle like absolute s*** in wet weather. The other day a Fiat 500e was on my a** in the hills and I almost killed myself on a turn trying to go faster. Huge loss of traction in every turn. The Fiat passed me and sped off...

So was it because of the tires' sidewalls being too flimsy or the traction against the road surface that was ultimately the problem? Just curious. I know....a Fiat. Ouch. Your secret is safe with us :chuckle:

I know there are a fair number of people who run these tires here, but unless I'm mistaken, I think you'll find very few, if any, of them are the "canyon carving crowd" ;)

NJGuy

mrzuzzo wrote:Interesting to see that you guys like the Michelin Primacy tires...

How fast were you going? Spirited canyon carving in wet weather seems kind of unsafe to me, especially if you say you almost binned the car trying to push it. I know it's tempting to explore the limits of our EXs, but please be mindful of the driving conditions and the limitations of your car. I'd hate to see a member here wreck their EX, or even worse, get hurt in the process. At least to me, I feel that if I'm pushing the MXV4's to their handling limits, I'm probably going too fast on a public road anyway.

Frankly, I'm not too surprised about what happened. To reiterate what Tim said, most EX owners who run the Primacy MXV4 aren't looking for the most sporty tire. I think most of us who have them picked them because they do well in pretty much every department (comfort, noise, dry/wet/snow traction, tread life, gas mileage, etc). There are other tires that handle dry and wet weather exceptionally better than the MXV4s, but typically they have to sacrifice performance in one or more other categories.

Also, I think you're comparing apples to oranges with the two vehicles involved. The EX has almost another 1,000 lbs. or so of extra heft to carry and keep in check when compared to the FIAT. While different tires may have helped, I really wonder if there are any tires on the market that could help to close the enormous gap in weight and keep or put the EX ahead. And if this FIAT was the electric version, full torque may be available throughout the entire rev range; this should give it the upper hand over the EX especially when accelerating out of the tighter corners. Though I've never driven one, I'd imagine that the FIAT handles like a go cart in comparison to the EX. The 500 appears to be right at home in the curves, given the tight winding roads commonly found in its country of origin. Now if you want to take 4 people and their stuff on a weekend trip with a long drive, or do a monthly shopping visit to your choice of warehouse clubs, I would imagine that the EX would be a better choice when compared to a FIAT 500.

And if you do end up switching out your tires, please share with us what you pick to benefit everyone else here. :)

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

I've actually delayed taking off my MXV4's... and putting on my snow tires... because they are handling so well in the Snow.

We've had one big dump of snow so far this season and the ol EX plugs along. My only regret is that my nice summer rims are slopping through all the crap.

CDNicecube
Car: 2010 EX35 Journey+Tech+Navi

Just replaces the oem with Yokohama Avid Ascend. Got a deal I could not refuse. But since it I winter here, I am running in ipikes for now, which are great in this snowy winter. Will let you know how they do in next summer!

mrzuzzo

TimGinCentralNJ wrote:Interesting to see that you guys like the Michelin Primacy tires...

So was it because of the tires' sidewalls being too flimsy or the traction against the road surface that was ultimately the problem? Just curious. I know....a Fiat. Ouch. Your secret is safe with us :chuckle:

I know there are a fair number of people who run these tires here, but unless I'm mistaken, I think you'll find very few, if any, of them are the "canyon carving crowd" ;)
It was the traction that was ultimately the problem. Going in a turn the car started spinning sideways. I have the AWD Journey version. I mashed the gas and straightened it out but it scared the hell out of my wife in the passenger seat. :lolling:

It's embarrassing to be passed by a Fiat, especially an electric one!

I live in the mountains (Northern California Bay Area) and my road home involves going up a treacherous mountain twisty road. I bought the car for my wife (I ride a motorcycle normally) but I do drive it occasionally.

mrzuzzo

NJGuy wrote: How fast were you going? Spirited canyon carving in wet weather seems kind of unsafe to me, especially if you say you almost binned the car trying to push it. I know it's tempting to explore the limits of our EXs, but please be mindful of the driving conditions and the limitations of your car. I'd hate to see a member here wreck their EX, or even worse, get hurt in the process. At least to me, I feel that if I'm pushing the MXV4's to their handling limits, I'm probably going too fast on a public road anyway.

Frankly, I'm not too surprised about what happened. To reiterate what Tim said, most EX owners who run the Primacy MXV4 aren't looking for the most sporty tire. I think most of us who have them picked them because they do well in pretty much every department (comfort, noise, dry/wet/snow traction, tread life, gas mileage, etc). There are other tires that handle dry and wet weather exceptionally better than the MXV4s, but typically they have to sacrifice performance in one or more other categories.
You're right the FIAT does have better handling theoretically (weight + distribution) but it is FWD while the EX is AWD.

I was going around 35mph in a turn when the car started going into a spin. My wife actually managed to do a complete 180 degree drift trying to turn the car on another turn (also in the twisties), also in wet weather, luckily she didn't fly off into the ditch but it was pretty close.

I think for the next tires I will choose a straight up performance tire. The only issue is that we do drive up to the Tahoe mountains where it snows a lot, so snow performance is somewhat important as well.

TimGinCentralNJ

NJGuy wrote:Tim,

Well, just to close the loop on my participation in this thread, I was **finally** able to replace my worn Nokian WR-G2 SUV tires I bought in 2011 when I first got my EX. They had approx 25k on them and although they still had 6MM of tread depth left, the sipes on the tread blocks at the very inner and outer edges had worn through, usually caused by under inflation (which makes no sense since I run 3-4 PSI more than recommended). Problem is, although excellent in the snow/ice, I never found these tires all that great at hydroplaning resistance at any speed over 40 mph and this just got worse as they wore.

I ended up getting the Nitto NT 421Q in OE size (225/60-17) from Discount Tire Direct for $124/each shipped. These are an XL load rating, meaning there's an extra sidewall ply which tends to give the tire a slightly more firm, sporty/controlled feeling than the regular load rating model of the same tire which we also have on our 2011 Explorer.

I can't say enough good things about these tires, although I am noticing the slight vibration (not a shimmy) which another owner had mentioned, but fully expect that to wear off as I log some miles on them.

Hope this helps,
Tim

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

I am close to replacing my stock Michelin tires Latitude for the Continental ControlContact sport A/S 235/55/17 that only weighs 23.7 IBs. I did check the Michelin tread and I still have decent tread left (Lincoln penny test still good)

In the future, I am eyeing for the new Continental tires.

NJGuy

TimGinCentralNJ wrote: Well, just to close the loop on my participation in this thread, I was **finally** able to replace my worn Nokian WR-G2 SUV tires I bought in 2011 when I first got my EX. They had approx 25k on them and although they still had 6MM of tread depth left, the sipes on the tread blocks at the very inner and outer edges had worn through, usually caused by under inflation (which makes no sense since I run 3-4 PSI more than recommended). Problem is, although excellent in the snow/ice, I never found these tires all that great at hydroplaning resistance at any speed over 40 mph and this just got worse as they wore.

I ended up getting the Nitto NT 421Q in OE size (225/60-17) from Discount Tire Direct for $124/each shipped. These are an XL load rating, meaning there's an extra sidewall ply which tends to give the tire a slightly more firm, sporty/controlled feeling than the regular load rating model of the same tire which we also have on our 2011 Explorer.

I can't say enough good things about these tires, although I am noticing the slight vibration (not a shimmy) which another owner had mentioned, but fully expect that to wear off as I log some miles on them.

Hope this helps,
Tim
'bout time! ;)

It's been a while since you last posted here and quite a few weeks since the season finale of 'The Bachelor' aired (not that I've been paying attention to that show :whistle: ); and it got me wondering about which tires you'd end up with :) . I was just hoping to see the video clip of you handing over the final rose to the stack of Nitto's standing at your front door, giving them a long embrace and a peck on the sidewall. That scene would be nothing but heartwarming (Ok, I may have crossed the "creepy" line a long time ago).

I understand you're still in the honeymoon stage but I wish you guys the best and hope your relationship lasts much longer than marriages that come from reality shows; and that when it is time to part, your breakup is amicable :cool: .

Hopefully that shimmy doesn't get worse and eventually disappears. Maybe a road force balance could get it to go away.

Anyway, thanks for the wrap-up on the Nokians and for the update on your new tires. :)

TimGinCentralNJ

NJGuy wrote:
'bout time! ;)

It's been a while since you last posted here and quite a few weeks since the season finale of 'The Bachelor' aired (not that I've been paying attention to that show :whistle: ); and it got me wondering about which tires you'd end up with :) . I was just hoping to see the video clip of you handing over the final rose to the stack of Nitto's standing at your front door, giving them a long embrace and a peck on the sidewall. That scene would be nothing but heartwarming (Ok, I may have crossed the "creepy" line a long time ago).

I understand you're still in the honeymoon stage but I wish you guys the best and hope your relationship lasts much longer than marriages that come from reality shows; and that when it is time to part, your breakup is amicable :cool: .

Hopefully that shimmy doesn't get worse and eventually disappears. Maybe a road force balance could get it to go away.

Anyway, thanks for the wrap-up on the Nokians and for the update on your new tires. :)

Ha! Yes...I definitely had that coming!

Hope all is well, NJGuy ;)

Tim

NJGuy

AWGD8 wrote:I am close to replacing my stock Michelin tires Latitude for the Continental ControlContact sport A/S 235/55/17 that only weighs 23.7 IBs. I did check the Michelin tread and I still have decent tread left (Lincoln penny test still good)
2/32" (aka Lincoln penny test) is technically the legal limit for tread depth, but it's not ideal for those who live in areas that experience a decent amount of rain. If you see a good amount of rain and typically drive at highway speeds, I'd recommend that you check your tires again with the 'Washington quarter test'.
See here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/tes ... sp?ttid=85
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/vid ... sp?ttid=85

Sure, Tirerack is in the business of selling replacement tires. But it is hard to argue with the results of their tests. Plus, I'd prefer that you replace your tires sooner rather than later; most of us already know how the OEM Michelins perform, so it would be nice to hear reports about another tire option for our vehicles :) .

AWGD8

NJGuy wrote:
AWGD8 wrote:I am close to replacing my stock Michelin tires Latitude for the Continental ControlContact sport A/S 235/55/17 that only weighs 23.7 IBs. I did check the Michelin tread and I still have decent tread left (Lincoln penny test still good)
2/32" (aka Lincoln penny test) is technically the legal limit for tread depth, but it's not ideal for those who live in areas that experience a decent amount of rain. If you see a good amount of rain and typically drive at highway speeds, I'd recommend that you check your tires again with the 'Washington quarter test'.
See here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/tes ... sp?ttid=85
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/vid ... sp?ttid=85

Sure, Tirerack is in the business of selling replacement tires. But it is hard to argue with the results of their tests. Plus, I'd prefer that you replace your tires sooner rather than later; most of us already know how the OEM Michelins perform, so it would be nice to hear reports about another tire option for our vehicles :) .
I probably have at least 5-6/32" left :gapteeth:
Bought the car in Sept. '08 with original Michelin tires.

Months of use:
2008 = 3 months
2009 = 9 months
2010 = 9 months
2011 = 9 months
2012 = 9 months
2013 = 9 months
2014 = 9 months

Total of 57 months of used = 4 years and 9 months! :naughty:

gkdyeung
Car: 2010 EX35 AWD with Tech
Black on Black

so my dealer tells me i'm due for tires soon (there'll all sitting at 3-4/32).
then when it came time to changing my brakes (which i did elsewhere), the shop showed me one of the tires was worn to the steel belt... that sound like 3-4/32 to any of you?!? sorry if this isn't so relevant for this thread.. but just had to vent about the quality control...
so now on the market for premier a/s... to replace my primacy mxv4 225/55R18.
any folks make the exact same switch?
would i go with the exact same size?
the michelin website spits out 225/60R17 99 H when i enter vehicle details (2010)... but i think the website assumes i have the stock 17's and not the upgraded 18s.
g

AWGD8

3-4 /32" is still not down to it's steel belt. If you buy a tire depth gauge 4/32" is at yellow caution mark. ( 3/32" is red) If it does not rain much, and hot all the time. 3-4/32" is still good for summer driving.

Here is my OEM since 2008 Latitude at 4/32" -yellow mark.

I would go for another brand of tire if you are on a budget.

You can go 235/55/17 but you your speedo MPH/Km change a bit.

Check Continetals, Good year tripple tread(i had good experience with this)

if it is going to rain much here, I am ready to get a new tire since 6/32" is the minimum for frequent rainy day driving.

Wife might get me an 18" rims so I am just holding on to these old tire and buy an 18 tires soon.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”