Engine Shutter when after HWY speed then go to full stop

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
RichardinKY
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima S 2.5

Hello

Re: 2010 Altima 2.5S -- 110,000 miles

During long trips at highway speed 65-80 mph, then coming to a stop (in congested traffic -or at a stop light), every once in a while there is a shutter where is seems as though the engine may actually stall or die, but it never has died. It continues to go into an idle. Then as acceleration begins the engine seems to correct itself and the shuddering near stalling disappears. Then it may or may NOT have reoccurred on that trip. The engine temp and CVT temp do not seem to be an issue.

The CVT fluid and filter(s) were changed about 4 months ago. The paper cartridge and the mess filter both were changed, the old fluid was removed via a pump in the fill tube and all of the old fluid removed and replaced by a systematic fill suck and refill until the Nissan OE fluid ran green and clean. At the same time as the fluid and filter(s) replacement, a OEM trans-cooler kit was installed.

Anyone have a thought on the "Shudder" ? Could it be a "dirty" throttle body? Or what do you all think?

Thanks! RichardinKY :wavey:

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Richard, I'm thinking it's something else, but let's try this:

Sitting still, at idle, pull the e-brake and put it in D (foot off the brake). Assuming the e-brake will hold it still, make note of the idle speed and quality for a minute. Then depress the footbrake hard and fast. Does the idle change?

If so, it's likely a vacuum leak at your brake booster. If not, and it's *just* happening after coming down from speed, I'd be inclined to look at CVT-related issues.

RichardinKY
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima S 2.5

O K I will test that out... Like I stated The only times it shutters like that is rapid slow down. It is possible it is brake boost vacuum related so I will try that and watch for any idle changes. Thanks! RichardinKY

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”