Engine oil

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
A1218
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE

I’ve always used Mobil 1 10w-30 high mileage Advanced fully synthetic oil, but is the Castrol Edge Advanced Fully Synthetic High Mileage with Titanium any better?

macgiver

Some kind of Titanium METAL? , alloy ? , is floating around in the Castrol , right ?

Reminds me of waaay back when another HUGE Corp....ARCO put Graphite (floating around in their oil).
Both this Titanium 'stuff ' , AND Graphite conductive ??????
The Arco Graphite would FOUL plugs badly - what a F'n mistake !!!!! Figured out YEARS later !!!!
Y 'all be the judge of this Castrol with TITANIUM 'dust' in your motor
But , really , what the hell do I really know - ya know .

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

I've been using Castrol Edge High Mileage for about 10 years. I've switched on a couple of oil changes to try out Mobil 1 and Valvoline high mileage, full synthetic oils, but went right back to Castrol each time because Castrol burns much less between my oil changes than the other two. The "Fluid Titanium Technology" in Castrol Edge is clever marketing and a proprietary chemistry but there are no actual titanium metal particles floating around. Think about it like, someone with iron-poor blood will take a dietary supplement like Geritol, which has iron but not iron metal particles. Unlike some Post and Kellogg cereals that are "iron fortified" which can have the metal particles extracted out using a strong neodymium magnet. But I digress. Castrol has no such particles in their oils.

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

macgiver wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:51 am
Some kind of Titanium METAL? , alloy ? , is floating around in the Castrol , right ?

Reminds me of waaay back when another HUGE Corp....ARCO put Graphite (floating around in their oil).
Both this Titanium 'stuff ' , AND Graphite conductive ??????
The Arco Graphite would FOUL plugs badly - what a F'n mistake !!!!! Figured out YEARS later !!!!
Y 'all be the judge of this Castrol with TITANIUM 'dust' in your motor
But , really , what the hell do I really know - ya know .
:chuckle: I didn't know anyone else remembered Arco Graphite! I used it for a bit in an engine I rebuilt, and my perception, which may or may not be accurate, was that the engine was wearing more than I expected. I went back to Castrol 20-50 and was happier. But no plug fouling with either.

Back to the OT, I'm mostly of the opinion that oil is oil, but a specific Liqui Moly in my 02 BMW has made a big change for the better in oil consumption and might have made some difference in my Q. If I ever have a conclusive result I'll post, but as of now it's just a maybe. In other words, name brand of similar weight I think will be about the same, in spite of fancy marketing terms.

macgiver

I actually used Arco graphite in my Fury , Phoenix Police Interceptor , Blues-Mobile -huge V8 with Thermo-Quad Carb , equipped naturally w/ 140mph speedo !!
Cop motor ,cop tires ,cop suspension , cop shocks ...........The Blues-Mobile :rotflmao
Took off like a Jet Aero-plane . My oil useage got to be 1 1/2 qts a month. Started having to use Anti-fouler (plug extensions) ........ ended up with 4 extensions , and actually one virtually dead cylinder.
That Graphite SURE was goofy , went back to reg. Dino oil .
Now I'm not sayin the Arco G did ALL that , that Interceptor had well over 200kmi, as deduced from second odometer turnaround !!
My opinion is brake pads & oil kinda like a 'mystery' if you will , a crapshoot , but I developed "Fuzzy-logic" with those subjects , and so - what do I , or most civilians REALLY KNOW ???? :facepalm:

A1218
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Okay, thanks everyone!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

A1218 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:55 am
I’ve always used Mobil 1 10w-30 high mileage Advanced fully synthetic oil, but is the Castrol Edge Advanced Fully Synthetic High Mileage with Titanium any better?
Both of these are quite good oils.

I applud you for considering the 10w-30 vs the 5w-30.
When you make the range between those 2 numbers less (all other things being equal) you use up less "rooom" in your oil sorely for VIIs.

That is a good things.

Same very good base lube stock can achive multiviscotiy gaps without much VII, but again if faced with 2 otherwise identical oils one a 5w-30 and one a 10w-30, the 10w-30 will be slightly better at everything (lube, detergency, foaming resistance, oxidation resistance, shear values etc) except cold start in a deep northern winter.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

PS: Sorry for the typos.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”