Engine Block Thread 1200cc E1 engine

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Ohio L320

Anyone know what type tread the engine block for a 1200cc 1965 E1 engine is ?

metric Sae NPT ???

I put a mechanical heat gauge (autometer auto gauge) in my truck and the inverted flare fitting (supplied with the gauge) didn't want to thread in very well.  I had a heck of a time getting it threaded in.    I believe the fitting is npt thread.   I finally got it to start but I could tell the thread on the fitting was stripping a little however I was able get it in and sealed. (The gauge works fine with no leaks) however, I'm having the same problem starting the oil line fitting into the block and I don't want to press my luck like I did with the temperature gauge fitting.

The gauges that I have seen all come with the same fittings, like all engines are suppose to be a standard type thread.  There are no warnings, or instructions otherwise that come with the gauges, explaining any differences for different makes of cars or trucks. 

I was just wondering what others have done .

Joe

71-521

I amy be mistaken but  the 521's have SAE threads...
I was told Datsun made the switch in 72 to metric...
If you have a tap-n-die set ( you can get them for ~20) chase the threads before stripping anything else out...
or take your stuff to Lowes/Depot/McLendons and see what it mates up to....

kenbagby

You are not mistaken, all of the early Datuns up until the 620 were SAE thread for everything. God I love-em:P

Victor Laury

The E1 motor uses SAE fasteners - BUT - BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread) for oil, coolant and vacuum fittings.

Just to make things interesting!!!

Ohio L320

I chased my oil hole with a 1/8 NPT and the gauge tube fitting threaded in great. 

Is NPT and BSPT the same thread ?    I think NPT is National Pipe Thread isn't it ?

71-521

they are different

Return to “Datsun 320”