Engine bay cleaning tips???

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
Atx_Versa
Car: 2008 Nissa Versa SL

Hey guys Im normally hanging out at the Versa forums but was wandering around and stumbled upon this forum.

Any way Im wanting to clean up my engine bay do you guys have any tips or advice for me???

Thank you in advance!

Broadfield
Car: 1992 240sx

If you can get a hold of some Green-All then I would use that. Otherwise use Simple Green. You would want to dilute them both to a 1-1 ratio with water. Use them in a spray bottle and spray down the entire bay, engine, plastic etc. If it's just dust then you can just spray it off with a hose. If there is stuff that is remotely built up then use a combination of wheel brushes, rags etc. to scrub in the cleaner. Then just hose off and dry as much as you can so it doesn't spot up on you. I like to use a long handled soft bristle wheel brush. It's easy to get down into the hard to reach areas.

Toby

index1489

Use a citrus based cleaner, try chemicalguys.com

lil_ben_2020
Car: 240sx

get a degreser and then letit set for at least 20 min then take a power washer to it and let it sit and dry.

wrgibson
Car: RB Hatch

lil_ben_2020 wrote:get a degreser and then letit set for at least 20 min then take a power washer to it and let it sit and dry.
Be careful with a pressure washer while in the engine bay....don't get too close.

Broadfield
Car: 1992 240sx

wrgibson wrote:
Be careful with a pressure washer while in the engine bay....don't get too close.
Yeah, I agree a pressure washer isn't really necessary. I use just water and soap maybe once a year. Otherwise I simply wipe it down with a slightly damp rag when I wash my car. If he has a really nasty engine bay the 1st time he does it then I would recommend the Green-All/Simple Green. After that you can just wipe it down during the washes. That's all I do for mine, and I would say it stays pretty clean...... and yes, it is daily driven in rain and shine.

M2daa2da2xny

WD-40 works wonders and leaves a nice shine...

hitman34608
Car: Buick Regal Gs

What best way of covering stuff you dont want to get wet like alternator? I heard of using tinfoil and ceran wrap but not sure if that good enough?

Nrw
Car: 1998 Nissan Maxima SE

M2daa2da2xny wrote:WD-40 works wonders and leaves a nice shine...
Not a good idea. It will mess up your hoses and such by drying them out. I highly recommend NOT using WD-40 to shine your engine bay. Use a nice spray on tire shine or I want to say 303 aerospace makes a very good product for a shine.

Nrw
Car: 1998 Nissan Maxima SE

hitman34608 wrote:What best way of covering stuff you dont want to get wet like alternator? I heard of using tinfoil and ceran wrap but not sure if that good enough?
all I cover when doing engine bays is the battery terminals and alternator. I just use a plastic bag. Never had any problems.

DJ Raijin
Car: 1992 300ZX 2+0 T Top NA

hitman34608 wrote:What best way of covering stuff you dont want to get wet like alternator? I heard of using tinfoil and ceran wrap but not sure if that good enough?
They make these elastic covers that you use to cover up dishes of food and such that I use.

http://www.irishmerchants.com/...s.htm

though thats not as cheap as a plastic bag and rubber bands

Return to “Detailing Forum”