Emanage Tuning

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
Iamjohnhayes
Car: 89 Single Cam Hatch

i have heard froma few people that the ecu "maxes out" some where between 4 abd 7 psi of boost. although i dont remember anything being said about air fuel. i believe it was more of a timing thing, but i dont remember b/c i heard it a while ago.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

DRIFTEADOR wrote:yes, the emanage pressure sensor recognizes vacumm. fyi, its the same sensor that the greddy boost gauge uses so if you have a greddy boost gauge you dont need to buy an extra sensor, just hack up (there's information on on the web on where to find a plug that fits the emanage) or buy the harness. if you dont have a gauge get it and kill 2 birds w/ one stone.
Can the E-Manage tune in vacuum though? If not, then it would have to switch from the MAF to the pressure sensor map somewhere. This means the tuning is not linear from one map to the other as the MAF is based purely on the mass rate of flow, where as the pressure sensor would essentially estimate it based on the VE of the motor at the given RPM and TPS.
DRIFTEADOR wrote:why you'd want to tune in vacumm i don't know. the motor shouldn't need any extra fuel off boost, it would be running like stock, you only want to add fuel and pull timing DURING boost. another reason to use the pressure sensor. i'm with virus, imo, the pressure sensor makes tuning easier all around. not only with fuel but with timing as well. its easier to retard timinng .50/.75/1/whatever you want degrees per pound of boost basing off pressure rather than airflow.
Not saying you want to tune in vacuum. Just saying it's not linear.
DRIFTEADOR wrote:what i would recommend is getting the pressure sensor, adjusting for injector size, and adjusting timing before tuning to compensate for the injector size change, before tuning. that way you start off with base/stock timing.
Optimally, you will want to tune on a dyno using a wideband, a datalogger and a 4-gas analyzer if you want to get everything right. And this is regardless of tuning based on a MAF or a MAP sensor. And unless you have a datalogger that reads actual timing on a motor, you probably won't be able to dial in timing with the e-manage as you wouldn't know how much it advanced the timing from the injector and MAF change. Unless of course you have the stock mapping with the corresponding MAF voltages.

DRIFTEADOR

yes it can tune based on pressure in vacuum as well.

and you're right, you'll want to get to a dyno w/ some datalogging equipment to get some real tuning done as soon as possible. the emanage can log many parameters, but unfortunately not total timing. i was going to use something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW (obd2)

but between adjusting timing to ballpark figures, and leaving it as is, like many do with a safc setup, adjusting it is safer.

virus77
Car: 95 S14, 71 240z, 97 e320

Yup datalogging is the key to tuning. If anyone is interested in tuning their own cars they should get a datalogger of some sort and a wideband or else i wouldn't touch the car.

Edub1
Car: 89 240sx KA-T

I'm going to limp it up to the speed shop and let them do it properly.

I just have to find one that doesn't require K-Y. I was talking to a guy at my gym and he told me they soaked him for a few grand to tune his supercharged Mustang.

I guess since I have the cable, I should go ahead and hook up the injector wires and everything and I guess I don't have to worry about it.

Iamjohnhayes
Car: 89 Single Cam Hatch

Does anyone know if the jumper settings are the same for e-Manage and e-Manage Ultimate. If they are could anyone tell me what they are.

DRIFTEADOR

both install manuals are posted here (software manuals as well ):

http://mohdparts.com/emanage/index.html

farlsmagee6
Car: 1997 240sx se

I know this is a super old thread, but im looking for some answers to good questions here...
virus77 wrote:the standard emanage ADDS fuel by using the injector drivers but it doesnt intercept them and actually CHANGE (add or subtract) like the ultimate.
C-Kwik wrote:Can the E-Manage tune in vacuum though?
I assume the emanage can SUBTRACT fuel as well (should be a no-brainer if you're at all worried about AFRs)...but with special attention on subtracting fuel at idle, under vacuum, to lean out the mix. I just havent seen the screens or played with the software to know

My car is being rebuilt right now but before, it would choke and die at idle. I just assume it was because the bigger injectors were richening up the mix so much it would just die becuase there was no correction to lean it out.

but that's what you get when you get a $hitty tune... well that and a blown motor.

virus77
Car: 95 S14, 71 240z, 97 e320

The standard emanage can take fuel out in the appropriate cells for the MAFS adustment. this method alters the MAFS signal and screws with your timing maps a bit, wont matter too much if you are adjusting it at idle.

if you have the emanage ultimate, it drives the injectors independantly and does not alter your MAFS signal, so you can take fuel out using the pressure sensor in the Vacuum section of the fuel adjustment map, this is of course if you have the pressure sensor. If not then you are stuck with altering the MAFS signal which I dont recommend.

farlsmagee6

forgot about this thread! i started another one somewhere else but am not getting much help.

i got my car put back together, figured out how to use the anti stall settings (working with blue emanage) to get the car to quit choking itself out and now I'm about to wire up the pressure sensor and ignition harness.

timing i get. for every psi of boost, subtract somewhere between .5 and 1.0 degrees of timing. I figure a good comporomise is .75. I can do that before I ever crank the car.

my question is there a rule of thumb for adding fuel in the additional injection map? I dont quite get the conversion from % duty to actual fuel. I know some guys run (on low boost applications) run 9:1 or 10:1 FMU's which basically adds 9-10 psi of fuel for every psi of boost. How does this convert to emanage speak? Can you even input additional fuel based on boost? or can you ONLY add fuel based on the MAFs?

BTW, the car is running OK right now with the few adjustments I've made, but I want to make sure I have a pretty good base tune before I take it to a $300/hr shop to fine tune it..

jdmae86
Car: S14 - RB25DET SII

bah emanage is nice if you can get it to work right

farlsmagee6

anyone? any help with adding fuel?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

You can add fuel by the airflow adjustment map.

Now, I have a question about the damn ignition timing wiring... what pinout on the ECU do you wire to? Mohdparts.com is DOWN and so is every other site that anyone has ever linked to.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Figured it out... ECU pinout #1

Cut the wire, the side going to the ECU hooks up with the wire going to the top of the ignition harness on the E-manage (which they have as color Blue/White). The side going to the engine bay gets hooked to the wire directly below it on the E-manage harness (which they have as color blue/black).

MAKE SURE THE IGNITION ADJUSTMENT MAP IS TURNED ON IN THE E-MANAGE.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”