EGR tube / tube that goes into plenum 2000 Maxima

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
chooseanalternative
Car: 2000 Nissan Maxima

Hi, I'm brand new here, and happy to find this forum. It's already been helpful!

I'm wanting to clean out the tube that goes from near the EGR and into (on my model) the plenum. I've seen folks post about removing the entire plenum to get it out, but it seems to me there should be a better way...

The top end will slip out of the plenum after removal of some kind of bracket and 2 10 mm bolts or nuts I think? But it has to come out from the bottom, and you can't just pull it out because it's still on the studs, hence, pulling the plenum is one solution I've seen suggested. However...

The two studs that attach the bottom flange to the engine have #40 Torx heads at the ends. Has anyone tried to remove them with an external (female) Torx socket? If so, are they put in with loctite? I saw one Youtube video for an older model, where one of them unscrewed when the guy tried to take the nut off. If they have thread locker, any opinions on if it's ok/safe to heat them?

I don't have that type of socket, and no wheels ATM, already have most of the parts removed. So I might try to order one on Amazon, but thought I'd run this by you folks in the meantime. Has anyone tried this?

PS. On my car, the exhaust EGR pipe is so close to the Right-hand stud, I had to bend the pipe out of the way a bit to get a socket on it. I couldn't get a box wrench on it nor an open-end in a good position to allow me to get enough poop on it to break it loose. Hope I didn't buy myself a boatload of trouble there. I think I can get it back in line OK. We'll see.
-Dave

chooseanalternative

Update - After much searching I found out that a Torx external socket size E-8 fits the T40 size stud, FWIW.

chooseanalternative

Correction: The torx socket that fits my studs is E7 not E8. Sorry for the error.

chooseanalternative

I was able to get the tube out of the plenum by removing the studs that mount the lower end of the tube flange, and cleaned it out. It was totally plugged with carbon at the top but the bottom end was clear. After some finagling I got it reinstalled. It's a bit hard to maneuver into position even with the studs out, but it's doable, have patience.

One caveat: While moving the pipe downward, I did feel it sort of give a little bit at one point. For a moment I wondered if I cracked it or something somewhere I couldn't see, but I don't think so. It was silent, and It felt more like maybe the other end might have loosened or turned a bit where it screws into whatever it screws into or perhaps it kinked a little up under the plenum where I can't see. That's what I'm guessing it was. But, it was only a small movement so I'm not too worried about it. I just wanted to mention that because it is a possible concern. Whatever that was, the pipe didn't seem to get loose nor did it become noticeably easier to move or bend that it was at first. That's mainly what makes me think I might have just felt it kink a little bit somewhere further up. I should probably try to get my hand up behind there while it's running and make sure I don't feel or hear or smell any exhaust leak. I'll try to get to that tomorrow and report back. I certainly don't hear or smell any obvious leaks.

I was able to get the EGR exhaust pipe reconnected with much less effort than expected. I got it bent back close to where it needed to be and then removed the EGR mounting studs, (same size E7 Torx socket) and screwed the pipe flare nut onto the EGR by hand to be sure it was aligned properly, snugged it up with the Crescent Wrench, and then put the EGR where it needed to be (with the gasket behind it held there by pushing the EGR against the manifold) and started the studs by hand, then the wrench, and replaced the nuts. Then I cranked the big flare nut down tight with the crescent.

To bend the pipe back, I used a 1-inch tie-down strap looped around the pipe and a 2 x 4 stretched across the engine compartment from near the windshield to the body member just in front of the radiator. Then I used the ratcheting buckle to crank the pipe up to where it needed to be. This worked extremely well; it's gentle on the pipe, no dents or kinks, and you can put it right where you need it to be. You can then check the position by putting the EGR valve back in and see where the pipe end is in relation to the nipple. It really works great for this. Then get it very close; it probably wont allow threading the nut on at this point and you shouldn't try to force it in any way. You should be able to screw the nut all the way on or nearly so, by hand or it may not seal properly. This is why I decided to, at this point, remove the EGR mounting studs, allowing complete freedom of movement for aligning the EGR, and tightening the big nut, and then using the EGR itself to pull the last little bit of pipe offset into alignment by just mounting it. Note you probably should have the fit _very_ close to where it needs to be before cranking everything down, as I did. The tie-down strap trick really made this quite easy.

I couldn't get to the EGR temp sensor plug so I unscrewed the sensor while still connected, twisting the wires, hoping I didn't break one inside the insulation. When replacing it, I put it in before mounting the EGR so I was able to screw it in by turning the whole valve body rather than turning the sensor. I should have done the same thing to remove it, ie left it in till I took the EGR off then turned the valve body to unscrew it. C'est la vie.

Bottom line: All done, everything works, no CELs, Gas mileage is back to where it should be, and runs perfectly! I hope this helps anyone who needs to do this job. My Maxima is a 3.0 L 2000 and 1/2 SE. (some parts changed in mid-2000) I don't know exactly when they switched from the older tube that had two mounting bolts at each end, to the one like I have that sticks up into the plenum.

If you decide to try this, be careful and slow moving that pipe, keep the pry bar back away from the nut so you don't deform the pipe anywhere near the nut area, (I don't think I deformed my pipe at all doing this) and don't bend it any more than is absolutely necessary. Have your socket in your right hand and the pry bar in your left and slide the socket onto the nut as soon as you can, as you carefully, slowly push the pipe down. It's actually quite easy to bend, so be prepared for that, and don't get aggressive about it. Gently does it. This way you assure the deflection is at a minimum, and you'll see the pipe will even spring back quite a bit when you remove your socket. Be patient, use your noodle, and this is definitely a doable job.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”