Dumb Question of the week- Is TCU NEEDED?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
haleakalag

2017 Q70. Ok. Here I go again. Is the TCU telematics unit needed? By needed, I mean: 1)other audio like Bluetooth phone and music, Radio, and other things will still work; 2) car will drive normally; 3) There will be no new dashboard warnings.
Here’s why I’m asking. When I run the self-diagnostic test, the results are always normal. Everything is green, including TCU. However, in the Self diagnosis error list, it says TCU Connection error (17 now), next time 18. I cannot tell anything new is not working. When I push the telematics SOS button next to my map lights it flashes green a few times, but never connects or does anything else. It never did before either, ever here, but didn’t have error message. So what am I missing? If the TCU were removed even, what would change? From what I’ve read, it is entirely related to connecting to Infiniti for emergency,etc. Thanks much.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You'll probably lose bluetooth if the TCU goes down. On most Nissan products the TCU handles all the in-car communications in addition to communicating to the outside world (with a Nissan Connect subscription). In fact, Nissan has recently started calling them IVC's instead of TCU's, for "In Vehicle Communication". TCU connection DTC's usually result from USB glitches between the TCU and AV Unit, and often don't mean anything.

haleakalag

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:55 pm
You'll probably lose bluetooth if the TCU goes down. On most Nissan products the TCU handles all the in-car communications in addition to communicating to the outside world (with a Nissan Connect subscription). In fact, Nissan has recently started calling them IVC's instead of TCU's, for "In Vehicle Communication". TCU connection DTC's usually result from USB glitches between the TCU and AV Unit, and often don't mean anything.
GREAT THANKS. Hope you enjoyed the electric vehicle class, and picked up a pearl or two.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The best way I can describe the Ariya is, picture a plumber's worst nightmare, picture mixing it with an electrician's worst nightmare, then mix that with a computer technician's worst nightmare, then put wheels on it. Very nice car, but I sure hope I don't work on too many.
:bang

haleakalag

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:14 pm
The best way I can describe the Ariya is, picture a plumber's worst nightmare, picture mixing it with an electrician's worst nightmare, then mix that with a computer technician's worst nightmare, then put wheels on it. Very nice car, but I sure hope I don't work on too many.
:bang
Holy Mach. That says it all, I can picture it. Glad I’m old enough I can make it to my last gas station, for gas.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”