DSM resistor <--> CA18DET

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
blownhemi
Car: S13 200SX CA18DET HX35

noobie285 wrote:i dont mean to sound like a noob but im looking at a alternate dsm resitor. it has cooling fins and whatnot. could i wire it in or is it different?
If you have a digital multimeter, and know some really basic electric stuff, you could check. Resistor packs are just four resistors (four pins) that are joined at one end (the fifth pin).

noobie285
Car: 1993 nissan 240sx
1992 nissan 240sx
2006 scion xb 1989 240sx 2009 challenger

blownhemi wrote:
noobie285 wrote:i dont mean to sound like a noob but im looking at a alternate dsm resitor. it has cooling fins and whatnot. could i wire it in or is it different?
If you have a digital multimeter, and know some really basic electric stuff, you could check. Resistor packs are just four resistors (four pins) that are joined at one end (the fifth pin).
thank you

chalander
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx SE w/*CA18det*

How would one be able to use a multimeter to check? What setting and number are you looking for?

I found a website that answered my question: http://www.electronics-radio.com/articl ... rement.php

blownhemi
Car: S13 200SX CA18DET HX35

chalander wrote:How would one be able to use a multimeter to check? What setting and number are you looking for?
The pic in the first post kind of explains it.
You need to set your multimeter to measure resistance on the ~100 Ohm range. To know how to wire it up, you need to find the common point of the 4 resistors (the 12V point in the first pic in the OP), and the other 4 indiviudal ends of each of the resistors (1,2,3,4). Start measuring resistance between the various pins. You will find, that you only have two resistance values, that pop up on the meter, and one if them is two times the other (e.g. 6 Ohm, and 12 Ohm). When you're measuring 12 Ohms, you're measuring the resistance of two resistors in series (like in the first PIC in the OP, you're measuring between terminals 4 and 2, or 4 and 3, or 1 and 2, etc.). When you're getting a resistance value of 6 Ohms, you're measuring the resistance of one resistor (between the common point, and the other end of one of the resistors). The pin, that's involved in all of the 6 Ohm measurements, is the common pin.

I've just used 6 and 12 Ohms as an example, the actual value varies on the model of car. The point is, one measurement will be twice the other one, if the internal wiring is the same as our CA resistors, or as the DSM one mentioned in the OP (one common terminal, and 4 other terminals for the four resistors).
The CA18DET FSM page "EF&EC - 128" has an illustration connected to this.

If this is, what you're asking...

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”