Drivers side headlight out

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
totaljett
Car: 1999 Q45T

2002 Q45

Hi guys. My 2002 Infiniti Q45 drivers side headlight has gone out. It didn't change color or brightness at all. It blinked off an on a couple days ago and now is out. I'm sooooo hoping it's just the bulb and not a ballast issue. The park lights are still working in the headlight assembly, if that's relevant. The passenger headlight is just fine. Do you guys think it's the bulb or ballast? If it's just the bulb, will that be an easy installation?

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

Check the fuse for the drivers side headlight, should be in the larger of the two fuse boxes in the engine compartment, should be a 10 AMP fuse.

If fuse is is good, it is most likely a burned out bulb. I believe you need to remove the entire headlight assembly to get to the bulbs and ballast, and I believe it also requires the front bumper cover to be removed in order to remove the headlight assembly.

To determine if you have a bad bulb, you can swap the drivers side bulb with the passenger side bulb, if the bulb lights up then the bulb was bad.

macgiver

mac, does the car have neon or flourescent lamps/bulbs - don't think so , that's what uses a "Ballast".These early INFINITI cars have incandescent bulbs, and between fuse & headlanp-BULBS a "controller" box , typically inside is 4 relays that COMPLETELY separate Hi-Lo beam + L. R. sides and OFTEN go intermittant a short while when all of a sudden ONE or more BULBS stays out. # 1 problem was BAD SOLDERING, secondly AGE next factor oxidizes relay contacts.Located usually Drvr'sside eng. cmptmt. near firewall. IF 'n you know what yur doin' you may "crack'em open (tabs guys -tabs on sides)and RE-SOLDER all the relays' pins poking thru board , I've personally done 5 like that. And IF 'n A SINGLE relay bad - remotely possible to solder in a replacement.Controller boxes are generally $60 - $85 ,your $ may vary. :cool:

totaljett

2002 Q45

Thanks for the great input guys.

totaljett

2002 Q45

Replaced blown headlight with a used OEM ballast. Still, I wonder when the other one will go out. Instead, of seeking another used OEM ballast because they're too expensive new. Are there any high quality HID kits anyone suggest to replace OEM system on this vehicle?

HansCC
Car: 1999 Y33 Cima

OLD POST - but you do not need to pull the front bumper on 2nd gen.
Not sure if this helps but I just did both D2 bulbs to 8000k
Tools
10MM socket & ratchet and 10mm wrench - 1 long ratchet extension
Screwdriver
T20 Security Bit
Wear gloves to prevent bulb contamination

1.) Remove center plastic in front of radiator - 7 plastic clips
2.) Remove 3 bolts - 2 on light assembly (lower and upper) and 1 in front of lower light bolt to allow light assembly to be removed forward (later)
3.) Remove 2 bolts holding air flow plastic that connects to Air Box and MAS on left and carefully flip this assembly on top of engine cover leaving the sensor still attached
4.) Remove MAS connector and then remove 4 bolts that hold air box and carefully remove. I had to loosen air intake bracket (10mm)
5.) Remove 3 electrical connectors - running light beam - low / high beam (center) - leave turn signal connector attached until light assembly is loose
5.) Remove 3 bolts inside that hold light assembly and carefully push plastic connector that is centered holding light assembly near center top. This will allow the entire light assembly to be moved forward enough to release turn signal connector or just turn out the 1157 connector.
6.) Remove light assembly by carefully tipping up and forward over bumper.
7.) T20 security bit for removal of weather cover on light assembly
8.) Remove bulb connector by short twist (left)
9.) carefully remove holding wire ONLY - do not remove ground screw at top
10.) Once holding wire is out of the way bulb is now loose
11.) Pull out bulb and replace with new bulb and reattach retaining wire - reverse all steps from here and your done

These Amazon D2s work with OEM ballast ok -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7 ... UTF8&psc=1
D2R HID Xenon Headlight Replacement Bulbs 35W 8000K High And Low Beam ZRSJ Car Headlights (Pack of two bulbs) - 2 Year Warranty (8000k, D2R)
$20.00 2 bulbs - Amazon
$120 = 1 bulb at Advanced Auto - yikes

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

^Very helpful - Thanks!

HansCC

totaljett wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:19 pm
Hi guys. My 2002 Infiniti Q45 drivers side headlight has gone out. It didn't change color or brightness at all. It blinked off an on a couple days ago and now is out. I'm sooooo hoping it's just the bulb and not a ballast issue. The park lights are still working in the headlight assembly, if that's relevant. The passenger headlight is just fine. Do you guys think it's the bulb or ballast? If it's just the bulb, will that be an easy installation?
Junkyards are fun places to save money - but a warning - your hands may get dirty - lolz
all kidding aside - we have 3 junk yards within 15 miles here in West Palm -
but i'll bet it's the bulb from the way you described...
Good luck

HansCC

macgiver wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:13 am
mac, does the car have neon or flourescent lamps/bulbs - don't think so , that's what uses a "Ballast".These early INFINITI cars have incandescent bulbs, and between fuse & headlanp-BULBS a "controller" box , typically inside is 4 relays that COMPLETELY separate Hi-Lo beam + L. R. sides and OFTEN go intermittant a short while when all of a sudden ONE or more BULBS stays out. # 1 problem was BAD SOLDERING, secondly AGE next factor oxidizes relay contacts.Located usually Drvr'sside eng. cmptmt. near firewall. IF 'n you know what yur doin' you may "crack'em open (tabs guys -tabs on sides)and RE-SOLDER all the relays' pins poking thru board , I've personally done 5 like that. And IF 'n A SINGLE relay bad - remotely possible to solder in a replacement.Controller boxes are generally $60 - $85 ,your $ may vary. :cool:
ICYI - all 2nd Gen q45 1999 to 2001 have HID D2s and ballast are mounted under the light assembly - now a 2002 is the 3rd gen - not sure what these have but I do think HIDs like the 99-2001

totaljett

2002 Q45

I'm a fan of junkyards as well. Replaced the ac compressor on my 99 Q some years back with a used one.

totaljett

2002 Q45

That's a beautiful Q HansCC

HansCC

totaljett wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:29 am
Thank you -
BadQ gave me a lot of help here on this forum -

Miles - 69k - trouble is its 20 years old now - seals and plastic starting to rot -
Replaced valve gaskets but still hunting down another oil leak. I run synthetic.
Changed out MAS body when I changed out the lights...
And still a bit sluggish on slow throttle response but not bad - hoping its not knock sensors
Thinking possibly about new injectors and fuel filter ... 02 sensors been changed but that was 2 years ago.
Let us know how your light issue goes - thx
http://nettechonline.net/images/q45/201 ... _Richa.jpg

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

HansCC wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:45 am
totaljett wrote:
Thank you -

Miles - 69k - trouble is its 20 years old now - seals and plastic starting to rot -
Replaced valve gaskets but still hunting down another oil leak. I run synthetic.
And still a bit sluggish on slow throttle response but not bad - hoping its not knock sensors
Thinking possibly about new injectors and fuel filter ... 02 sensors been changed but that was 2 years ago.
Look at your oil pressure sender as a possible leak source. I had also changed the PS suction hose which would seep.
Since your miles are low, I doubt your injectors are bad, even with Florida E10. Good call on the fuel filter. You know it's just ahead of the right rear wheel on fgy33? go <1/4 tank and release cap pressure before you change it.
Could def be the knocks after a lot of cycling in the FL heat. might also remove upper plenum and clean it, tb, and EGR piccolo tube.

HansCC

Will check these 2 items - thx

totaljett

2002 Q45

HansCC wrote:
totaljett wrote:
Thank you -

As far as my 2002 Q45, the used ballast resolved the issue. I actually had to get my money back on the first used ballast because it went out within a coupe of weeks. The next purchased ballast has been excellent till current day. Both were purchased from Ebay. Now, my 99 Q45 is 230K plus miles and doing well for it's age but age and miles are still a factor. Yet, it feels like a glove when driving and the body style still gets compliments. I acquired the vehicle about 2006 with 72k miles. Plugs and coils have been replaced recently with OEM as well as valve cover gaskets. It drives well but experiences periodic lag. I've been unsuccessful in completely resolving a rear engine seal leak with Lucas stop leak and stabilizer. I have a very small leak in power steering system too. It was greatly minimized by Lucas power steering stop leak. At this point I'm not trying to throw change the world money at it. Somewhere in the not to0 distant future, we may part ways. I drive all my vehicles well over 200k miles and the 99Q is approaching that.

totaljett

2002 Q45

3Q Jay wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:43 pm
HansCC wrote:

Thank you -

Look at your oil pressure sender as a possible leak source. I had also changed the PS suction hose which would seep.
Since your miles are low, I doubt your injectors are bad, even with Florida E10. Good call on the fuel filter. You know it's just ahead of the right rear wheel on fgy33? go <1/4 tank and release cap pressure before you change it.
Could def be the knocks after a lot of cycling in the FL heat. might also remove upper plenum and clean it, tb, and EGR piccolo tube.
Yeah, I had to change a couple hoses on my 99Q power steering system. The leak was much worst. So much oil was under the car from old valve cover gaskets and power steering fluid, that we discovered the rack pinion leaking, after replacing hoses and valve covers. I've had knock sensor codes ( no check engine activated) since I got the vehicle in 2006. The lag didn't start until a number of months ago. Possibly, the knock sensors have gotten worse.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”