drift tuners inc. gtrs legally in the usa

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
edthemanjp
Car: 1992 Skyline GTR

Just got off the phone with Mr. Sachs, His name is the one on bond releases and he signs petitions on automobiles that are eligible to be imported, the dockets.

The information about the process of legalizing Skylines going through JK is correct and JK is an RI in good standing with NHTSA however he couldn't give information about whether or not JK has legalized any lately. I need to call one other person (Dileonardi, he approves the import elegibility petitions of vehicles). We've known that JK or any RI can do the work but at what cost and has the ODBII been done. Like I said above, if you provide a car with a VIN so we can check with NHTSA I will tell everywhere your the real deal otherwise your another company saying they can and can't. Some people have already been guiane pigs for Importing, you have a product show the product.

He did comment on their race vehicles and mentioned they were leaving some crucial information off and that is that a regular production car even though in full race gear can only be imported on a temporary basis and later must be returned to point of origin or exported. He said only Race Production vehicles can be imported permanently for race purposes.

drifttuners
Car: Skyline R34 25 GT, Supra RZ, Dodge Magnum

edthemanjp wrote:I talked to Louis 3 years ago, I still remember our conversations, no need to call again. She wasn't set up to legalize the Skyline and that she would have to hire in some speciality people to do the work and the cost was an estimate, it could be more. ODBII is a whole different can of worms but if your really serious about importing Legalized Skylines to the USA.

Heres how you can prove your legit (simple) You have JK bring a car through compliance NHTSA, EPA. You do this and post the results here after its federalized and I'll tell it on every forum I visit that you are the real deal.

Remember NHTSA has a brain scar from Skylines
No problem I will post the information when I recive it. Little hint! J.K. just finished one, legal with all paperwork ready to go! We are going to be sending 3 Skylines there way in the new year. R33 and R34's

Modified by drifttuners at 2:02 PM 11/25/2008

drifttuners

edthemanjp wrote:Just got off the phone with Mr. Sachs, His name is the one on bond releases and he signs petitions on automobiles that are eligible to be imported, the dockets.

The information about the process of legalizing Skylines going through JK is correct and JK is an RI in good standing with NHTSA however he couldn't give information about whether or not JK has legalized any lately. I need to call one other person (Dileonardi, he approves the import elegibility petitions of vehicles). We've known that JK or any RI can do the work but at what cost and has the ODBII been done. Like I said above, if you provide a car with a VIN so we can check with NHTSA I will tell everywhere your the real deal otherwise your another company saying they can and can't. Some people have already been guiane pigs for Importing, you have a product show the product.

He did comment on their race vehicles and mentioned they were leaving some crucial information off and that is that a regular production car even though in full race gear can only be imported on a temporary basis and later must be returned to point of origin or exported. He said only Race Production vehicles can be imported permanently for race purposes.
In terms of racing, yes you are right, can be 3 years or 5 years, depends on if you pay the tax. Affter the time limit is up we would export the race/drift car from the U.S. to our shop, rebuilt it for the customer FD, D1 etc.. and apply to re-enter it for the next race season.

drifttuners

In terms of the importation of race cars, in our case drift cars it is crucial information about the temp status of that process. I try not to post to much information that could confuse the reader on our website however I don't think in this case it would. So just like I revised the website when sean morris seen it I will add that additional information to the website about the temp status of imported race cars.

Really I like to talk to people on the phone that’s why I don't post all the info but I guess I will, then answers peoples questions after if they have any. So yes that is something I will add today.
Modified by drifttuners at 1:46 PM 11/25/2008

drifttuners

Well after talking to a few people in the Government a few min ago. The skyline is ready to go pending the paperwork and title from the DOT guys, it's currently in their office being processed. They say it will be a few weeks before it's processed. So as of right now I have to wait till the paperwork is delivered. Also I was notified that the cost for the Skyline federalization process has gone from $26,000 to $35,000 so I will have to update our website. I'll keep you posted and when I receive the paperwork I will post the scans. So people can view the real deal. This car is sold pending the paperwork to a customer.

So lets sit on that and be patient, I know this is a heated topic but for all of us it would be good to come back to this in a few weeks once I have the paperwork I will post it. I think finaly showing a recent Skyline done fully legal is going to change things a lot on the forums about this issue. Who knows maybe it will increase the market agian, but I'll tell you that DRIFT Tuners will not end up like MOTOREX, it would be nice to stick around and we will be hiring people in the new year. We have a lot of good things coming up for customers too. BTW It's a GTR Midnight purple.

Modified by drifttuners at 7:30 PM 11/25/2008

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

In the interest of many parties involved in this debate, I am going to lock and sticky this thread untill Jeremy e-mails me with information on the completely legalized Skyline.

I think it's best if we just leave the importing debate on the table for now and get back to discussing the Skyline itself.

Also, edthemanjp, you said that DRIFT Tuners were scamming. Do you have proof of this or are you speculating? If so, contact me.

If you or Jeremy have any questions about my decision to lock this temporarily, or to contact me with proof of them scamming someone, e-mail me at [email protected]

----Neal

tyndago

These guys know enough to make them dangerous. If you don't know, they are throwing around enough stuff to make it sound like they know, but they don't.
drifttuners wrote:1st, JK Tech did the crash testing for MOTOREX. Anyone who ever visited MOTOREX knows that they did not have an on site crash testing facility.
JK does ? Its not a requirement to have "on-site" crash testing. JK did the testing for Motorex, thats not disputed.
drifttuners wrote:because we hold the crash testing results and being the only RI that knows what and how to modify the Skyline for EPA, DOT, NHTSA and the FMVSS approval. 100% legal nothing less.
All the information is now public,including the confidential section.

http://www.regulations.gov/fdm...e=pdf http://vehicleimport.blogspot.....html
drifttuners wrote:2nd, We don't just import for track use we also import for street use in the U.S. and Canada and have a pro drift team in DMCC and soon to expand our team to Formula D, custom buld Drift cars etc. etc.

Impressive. I will look for you there at the events.
drifttuners wrote:3rdly, we work with JK like I said earlier in this topic above. We import Skylines into the U.S. under a 150% bond then federalize the skyline before you ever see that car. Time and money??? $26,000 plus a legal requierment of 120 days to ensure the vehicle is brought into conformity from the date of importation or is exported from, or abandoned to, the United States. That specific information is under Box 3 of the HS-7 Declaration Form.

Trying to sound like you know more than you really know. Look up what a bond is. The bonds themselves are not that expensive. Its a small percentage of the value, because a bond is like insurance. You might have $100,000 in insurance, but it doesn't cost you $100,000, it costs you $1000.
drifttuners wrote:Also I don't really understand your question, you say - "are you saying that you guys now have a working OBD II system for RB26's? " - My answer is, the engine type dose not mater, we have the OBDII system for the R33 and the R34 (1996 thru 1998) 25gt, GTR and GTST. Simple phone call to JK (1-410-366-6332) would tell you that JK is sending us there customers to facilitate the importation of the Skyline as a filtering process then JK dose the work. Talk to Lois Joyeusaz,

A guy from the DOT - Luke Loy called Lois "the devil" once. She is single handledly responsible for the DOT-OVSC having a better look, and having the DOT give a harder time on some Ferrari imports. Thats just a little background information.

Then Jonathan, who is/was the actual owner has had a lot of problems. Thats why they switched ownership to show Lois as the owner. Don't think I don't know about their history. Don't think that haven't been to their shop, saw how they did things when they were working on things for Motorex back in 1999. Yes. 1999. Nearly 10 years ago, I was dealing with JK on this exact same thing. They told me then, that they were working on OBD II. They never actually got any further than telling us at Motorex that they were working on it. If they have a system now, I would have to see it first, bring my OBD II scanner to make sure it sets a readiness code, before I sent them any money.
drifttuners wrote: any other RI in the U.S. to import a skyline they can't legaly bring it into complyance, call any RI on the NHTSA registered list they will all tell you the same. Also call the EPA to confirm that JK in fact is the only RI that holds the crash testing results and are the only RI that know what needs to get done to conform according to EPA and the NHTSA standards and ask them what 'other RI' has brought a Skyline into compliance, I already know the answer, NONE!.

The crash test results and confidential information are public record now. Ever hear of G & K. They are the only ones, other than Motorex to actually have bond released GT-R's. Who, do you think did the work at G & K. I'll give you a hint.

The EPA doesn't care about RI's. The DOT - OVSC cares about RI. The EPA you need to be an ICI. Independent Commerical Importer.
drifttuners wrote:DRIFT Tuners also holds the crash results and I provided a copy to the admin of NICO Club, (Matt).

Everyone on this forum now has the crash test results. Now what ?
drifttuners wrote:Why chose DRIFT Tuners?? Because we know our stuff and for your peace of mind that your not getting ripped off or your car getting seized and crushed. We care about your investment!
You guys are kids. Dont listen to what JK is telling you. It is very unlikely they have a working OBD II system that have been approved by the EPA. If they do, I would like to see the paperwork.

tyndago

No one in the government cares. The only way people get in trouble is when they import the car, and it gets seized by customs, or in the case of some of the cars in Florida , they were undervalued for tax purposes.

Other than that, nothing too crazy happens.

You should be careful of who you send a "taskforce" after.

tyndago

drifttuners wrote:As for Sean, good question... Sean is a great guy in his own way, in fact our hired marketing company (Race Day Media) (Frank) knows Sean very well and the RB motoring team a former RI. IT WAS NOT MOTOREX!!!, J.K. my friend! Sean did not know at the time that J.K. Tech were the ones who did the crash testing for MOTOREX for which he worked for,

Modified by drifttuners at 11:32 PM 11/24/2008
First off, don't talk about me. Just makes me mad. Give me more reasons to pick you apart.

I didn't know that JK was involved ? Really ? Thanks for putting words in my mouth. Lets see , MGA labs in Wisconsin around April 1999. Side impact testing. Jonathan from JK , Hiro , Nick Wong, and myself attended. I knew all about Jonathan and JK. I was dealing with them on a daily basis. They were under contract from Motorex to do the work. They did the work, but they did not do a good job of it. There was a lot of things they just glossed over. Lots of stuff, that Jonathan is good at talking about, not as good as doing. I visted JK and the DOT twice prior to the first bond release on GT-R's. I am not sure how you can say what I do or don't know. Did I say it back in 1999-2002. No. JK was contracted by Motorex to help out with the importation and legalization of the GT-R. I wonder who owns the Motorex contract with JK that had a non-compete in it. Wonder if whoever owns that would think about JK making money off Motorex information. I am sure Motorex still owes a few people money. Maybe I will bring it to some of their attention.

See Jonathan had a friend at the EPA. His friend from the EPA was a guy that signed off compliance packages. You know, there is actually a signed certificate of conformance for 1999 GT-R's ? Submitted by JK, stating the R34 GT-R had a factory OBD II system. I am sure Jonathan is on the same route now. Telling you something. You know no better. I knew no better in 1999. Hiro knew no better in 1999.

Drift Tuners is believing everything JK is telling them. JK doesn't always tell the truth.

Are you guys looking to sell cars in California ? If you aren't then don't worry about it. But, if you are, who do you think that JK uses ?

tyndago

edthemanjp wrote: If you or JK have an ODBII working, good job I'm still a skeptic.Ahh.... Sean was there during the crash testing (showthread.php?t=180779) Link posted because of your attitude. JK didn't start the process, they were paid by Motorex to do the crash testing and that with the cooperation from NHTSA allowed Motorex to be the only company to be able to federalize Skylines.

Now you still didn't answer the question about you or JK having a bond release letter, do you have any????
OBD II. OBD II. We are going to say this till we die. Its very, very important. And its very complicated. The major OEM's had problems developing working systems in 1996.

I had several meetings with the OVSC - Luke Loy , George Entwistle , d!ck Merrit , JK , Hiro, and myself when we were working on the Skyline importation. I have had meetings after wards with George Stevens,and Vincent DiLeonardi.

In a couple years 1989 GT-R's will be 25 years old. Then they can be imported with no restrictions.

USsil80

wow.. way to step up there man... wonder what is goin to say about that...

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Looks like an epic thread in the Ontario 240sx forum got deleted... It's too bad, because it was good stuff.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”