Door Speakers

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
dotsad

here we go!

1. just after i took of the original speaker

2. Drilled 3 holes to hold the speaker bracket

3. Sliced wires

4. Looked for a good spot to thread wires through.

5. final result

6. one more

dotsad

And the rear door.

it was a bit trickier than the front. The opening is not a circle, but more of an oval. You can’t use clips that come with speakers, at the distance from the edge of the speaker opening is greater than the clips hole. So I drilled hole just the correct size of the screw, and threaded the screw through the door metal. I also realized that I can reuse two bolts from the original speaker, as the bracket aligns perfectly, I guess it can be also be done for the front door speaker.

1. I bolted the bracket first, then marked future holes with a nail.

2. Done drilling. Seeing so much water, i thought about buying these things : http://www.sonicelectronix.com....html

3. Wires

4. used these connectors from radio shack ( or the "Shack"

Thats it.
Modified by dotsad at 2:21 PM 10/18/2009

dotsad

I havent tested the sound yet. As mystically I drained my battery while I was installing two speakers ( I had nothing on while tinkering, wtf!?). Secondly and most importantly, the two doors that I did speakers install on, windows DONT go automatically up any more. I am not sure what I did to cause this.Windows go up if you hold the up/down switch, but don’t go up by themselves, but go down automatically. Very weird. I decided not to install the speakers on the driver’s side ( back and front ) until I can figure out why windows won’t go up anymore automatically.

From what I can tell, I connected all wires, windows do work, but it’s the strangest thing. Ohh well, someone unwrap the mystery, computer reset, kick the door etc?!

Regarding the install, it wasn’t that hard. If you know how to use a drill, pliers and can see colors ( to distinguish color of the +/- ) it is very doable.

Modified by dotsad at 2:24 PM 10/18/2009

RM450GT
Car: 06 M45

you just need to reset the windows... but I forgot how to do it.

07sportm35
Car: 2007 Blue m35 Sport

dotsad wrote:I havent tested the sound yet. As mystically I drained my battery while I was installing two speakers ( I had nothing on while tinkering, wtf!?). Secondly and most importantly, the two doors that I did speakers install on, windows DONT go automatically up any more. I am not sure what I did to cause this.Windows go up if you hold the up/down switch, but don’t go up by themselves, but go down automatically. Very weird. I decided not to install the speakers on the driver’s side ( back and front ) until I can figure out why windows won’t go up anymore automatically.

From what I can tell, I connected all wires, windows do work, but it’s the strangest thing. Ohh well, someone unwrap the mystery, computer reset, kick the door etc?!

Regarding the install, it wasn’t that hard. If you know how to use a drill, pliers and can see colors ( to distinguish color of the +/- ) it is very doable.

Modified by dotsad at 2:24 PM 10/18/2009
Once your windows are up, hold the up button on them for about 10 seconds(one at a time). That will reset the windows so they go all the way up again in "auto" mode.

Anytime your batteries go dead or is disconnected you run the risk of having to reset all your windows as well as the moonroof.

Nice job!

Quis
Car: 2006 M35x

RM450GT is right. All you need to do is have the windows reset. That's what happen to me when I installed my front door speakers....my driver auto door only work going down, but not up. I took it to the dealer and they reset it, and now it works.

pangpang77

dotsad,

Nice, you were more patient than I. Did you leave the tweeter setting at +3dB or did you switch it to 0?

Any update on the sound improvement?

Backdoc7

07sportm35 wrote:
Backdoc7, I am going to order Infinti 62.9I off of ebay. They can be had for $65 shipped. What we need in our cars with the stock amplifiers are efficient 2 ohm speakers. The 62.9I's are at 95dB which is the best I have seen. Furthermore the frequency response goes down to 45Hz and they can handle 75 watts rms(overkill with the weak factory amp). The efficiency is key because you want to keep the volume as low as possible for a given SPL. Why? Because the factory amplifier will produce more distortion (mostly harmonic distortion) as it is pushed harder/higher volume.

Next I'm going to order tweeters. The Infiniti REF1031T's seem to fit the bill. They are 2ohms and have a lower frequency response than most tweeters (down to 2500Hz)(93dB efficient). My guess is factory tweeters go down pretty low because of the 2 inch size.

I will run everything without crossovers seeing as tho the Bose system takes care of the frequency distribution. The tweeters can be had for $50 shipped off of e-bay. Total cost is only $115 since I'm doing the job myself.

From what I can hear the factory tweeters produce some pretty good distortion at medium high volumes. It is important that the tweeters are able to take over where the 6.5's leave off in terms of frequency(I would guess 2KHz). That means they need to go as low as possible.

Without getting to technical I'm going to hook my system to a spectrum analyzer. That way I'll be able to see the frequency distribution between the 6.5's and the tweeters. I'll just unhook one or the other and see what happens on the analyzer. A spectrum analyzer allows you to "freeze" frequencys on a display and look at their individual amplitudes/power/SPL. It is kinda the opposite of a oscilloscope. Oscilloscopes freeze "time" and allow you to look at a wave form. The oscope is a "time" domain device, and the spectrum analyzer is a "frequency" domain device. Time and frequency have a interesting relationship. 1/frequency = time. I'm not trying to sound smart but I hope you find it as interesting as I do. I'll throughly explain it over a cup of java some day my friend.

Good thing you kept that oscilloscope discussion low tech! You microwave guys.. sheeshhh . lol.. Can't wait to hear about the results bud! You know me, I don't have to recreate anything, so if those work for you.. let me know and I'll pick up the same ones.. I might add some Dynamat type stuff though as I have a couple of boxes and I'd sure like a little quieter cabin.

Dotsad, good write up also.. let us know how they sound.. very interested!

07sportm35

pangpang77 wrote:dotsad,

Nice, you were more patient than I. Did you leave the tweeter setting at +3dB or did you switch it to 0?

Any update on the sound improvement?
The tweeter setting will have virtually no effect. The reason being the Bose system (assuming he has one) has built in electronic crossovers (filters) that do not send tweeter frequencies to the woofer to begin with. The 6.5 inch woofers are installed and plugged into the lower frequency wires of the system. Therefore there are no high frequency energy to attenuate.

The tweeters in the lower portion of the door are useless. It's the woofer carrying the 50-2000Hz frequencies that come into play at that location. It's a "component" system.

The above 2000Hz frequencies are delivered to the tweeters on the upper portion of the door. There is where it would in fact make a difference.

The whole idea of the attentuator is to match the SPL level of the woofer, and the tweeter to the listeners preference. That's why it's important to find a aftermarket tweeter that that has the appropiate SPL sensitivity to the woofer.

Your treble and bass can be seen as a crossover. One controls higher frequency levels, and the other controls the level of lower frequencies.

The ideal way of dealing with all of this is for sound quality is "clean sweep". But that is a VERY expensive route comparatively speaking. $150 versus $950.

The rear speakers are far less of a worry seeing as though the car is tuned for a frontal stage. The rears add background and therefore are far less important. I wouldn't worry about those unless you have extra dough.

NCturbo75
Car: 2006 INFINITI M35...

I am also in the process of replacing the crappy speakers in my '06 M35 (14 speaker Bose system). Of course, I will be getting the Infinity 6032i's for all 4 doors but what about the front dash speaker and the subwoofer in the trunk? Anyone have suggestions for those two locations? I do not plan on having any kind of custom audio system with aftermarket amps.
Modified by NCturbo75 at 10:17 PM 10/19/2009

rocastro71
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35S

Any update on the sound quality after the upgrade??

07sportm35

I spoke with a high end car audio shop guy today. He has been in it for 25 years and has competed for at least 10 years of it. He is the owner of "Soundwerks" in Scottsdale, AZ. He is 3 minutes from the dealership and works on tons of Infiniti's. His favorite thing to do is install "cleansweep" along with aftermarket amplifiers.

I asked him about what frequency content was sent to the upper wires in the door panels and lower wires in the door panels. I asked him if filter/crossovers were needed.

His reply was the upper wires receive frquencies from 3500Hz on up. Anything lower in frequency goes to the woofers up to a certain point. I will test this theory by way of a spectrum analyzer...my guess is the tweeters receive frequencies as low as 2000Hz.

In good component systems, the 6.5" woofers get filtered on both the high and low side. Usually 3500Hz is the the high side followed by 60-90Hz on the low side. This is called a "bandpass filter". The filter on the tweeters is called a highpass filter. Big woofers (8 inches or more) usually have a lowpass filter.

Like I said before, efficiency is "key" when running aftermarket speakers with factory amplifies as well as proper matching between the 6.5" woofers and tweeters.

For the woofers I already ordered the Infiniti 62.9I's. 2 ohm with 95dB efficiency on paper and go as low as 45Hz.

I chose and already ordered silk dome Infiniti 1021T tweeters. I chose silk because of their soft smooth sounding nature. I chose dome because of their good sound staging characteristcs. They are 2 ohm and begin at 2500Hz. I purposefully chose a tweeter that goes down another 1000Hz compared to most to give myself some room. They are 93dB efficient.

The 62.9I costed $70 shipped and the 1021T's costed $50 shipped. For $120 in parts it's a fun and good test for sound improvement.

I will begin the process this weekend and report back...

Modified by 07sportm35 at 4:11 AM 10/21/2009

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

Actually the 3.5KHz sounds pretty reasonable for a crossover point to the tweeters. And if he has been doing a lot of work on Infiniti's then he is probably right about that.

+1 with the silk tweeters I prefer them as well. And my least favorite is titanium tweeters.

rocastro71

How's the quality of the sound system now after the speaker change Pangpang and others that made the upgrade?

pangpang77

rocastro71 wrote:How's the quality of the sound system now after the speaker change Pangpang and others that made the upgrade?
rocastro,

I haven't done mine yet. I've decided to take it to an installer to do when he does my headrest monitors. The monitors will be here any day. Once the speakers are in I promise I'll share the findings on the sound quality.

rocastro71

07sportm35, where did you order the 62.9I for $70/pair?

07sportm35

rocastro71 wrote:07sportm35, where did you order the 62.9I for $70/pair?
On e-bay just type in "Infiniti 62.9I" and you will be linked.

Backdoc7

O7, could you just pull an all nighter and get those babies installed? I'm good and ready for a sound report!! Seriously though, can't wait for the install/sound report.. I know it will probably come with a sound data sheet you'll have to explain to me, but that's cool!

07sportm35

Backdoc7 wrote:O7, could you just pull an all nighter and get those babies installed? I'm good and ready for a sound report!! Seriously though, can't wait for the install/sound report.. I know it will probably come with a sound data sheet you'll have to explain to me, but that's cool!
The tweeters came in today. You know I will give you the 411. No data sheets but graphs will be displayed. I'm working on a good microphone to go with the analyzer and then pictures. I'm going to capture the frequency response of our systems in graph form. Should be pretty cool.

Did you know a microphone is the opposite of a speaker?

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

Can you measure the sound from both the drivers seat and the passenger seat?

Quis
Car: 2006 M35x

Are all the speakers in the doors 2 ohms. or just the two front doors?

Backdoc7

07sportm35 wrote:
The tweeters came in today. You know I will give you the 411. No data sheets but graphs will be displayed. I'm working on a good microphone to go with the analyzer and then pictures. I'm going to capture the frequency response of our systems in graph form. Should be pretty cool.

Did you know a microphone is the opposite of a speaker?
I do now! I thought the opposite of a speaker was the things making sound out of my Bose Inifiniti system.. My friend works for Alpine Electronics Corporate so he's always been good to me.. lucky I guess.

Can't wait to see that graph though! should be cool. Actually, just can't wait to hear about what you hear...

Good luck!

Dr. B.

dotsad

rocastro71 wrote:Any update on the sound quality after the upgrade??
he he, i replaced only my left side ( front and back) last weekend. Driving for a week in a half way setup 50% Bose / 50% Infiniti i CAN tell one thing for sure: My left ear hearts more than the right one. I eventually adjusted balance more to the right, as i felt like my left ear going to bleed soon. I guess my conclusion is that the Infiniti’s do produce more of "something", "something" be it sound, waves, etc. but i can feel it. Can’t wait till tomorrow to finish my right side, to get this over with

dotsad

pangpang77

dotsad wrote:
he he, i replaced only my left side ( front and back) last weekend. Driving for a week in a half way setup 50% Bose / 50% Infiniti i CAN tell one thing for sure: My left ear hearts more than the right one. I eventually adjusted balance more to the right, as i felt like my left ear going to bleed soon. I guess my conclusion is that the Infiniti’s do produce more of "something", "something" be it sound, waves, etc. but i can feel it. Can’t wait till tomorrow to finish my right side, to get this over with

dotsad
Are you suggesting it's just louder or louder and better? Do you have the Bose 14 speaker setup? Mine will get installed tomorrow, so I'll report back as well...

pangpang77

As I promised, I had 4 6032si's installed. My installer was http://www.installations-unlimited.com . The place I went is a retail front to Auto Action Group in NJ, one of the largest wholesale audio/video installers for dealers. The guy who did it is the lead Tech Engineer for all of their installation sites.

He felt the factory 14 speaker system was already pretty good. After he installed the first speaker, he told me that only mids and bass were coming out as I expected since the tweeter frequencies get crossovered out. He also was not impressed with the sound at first. But after he installed the second speaker, we both noticed a marked improvement (though both door trims were off). I remembered someone saying on the forum to wait until the door trims were on and the sound would be night and day.

Well, I'm here to report that though the 14-speaker setup already sounded great, it's even better now. I can say the sound is clearer and I can hear things in the music I didn't hear before. It's richer and fuller, but I wouldn't say the bass will blow anyone away. It's good enough for me, but people that prefer booming basses may be disspointed and may need to upgrade to a better bass setup as well.

The Dolby Digital 5.1 sounded awesome as well. I played a Superman DVD and on the explosion in the beginning of the movie, my body actually jolted from the sudden sound.

rocastro71

Well, I myself is not happy with the stock bose speakers. I don't have the 14 speaker system but only the 8 speaker system. Although I already have an aftermarket subwoofer added with a 500w amplifier just for the woofer, I still feel that i could improve on both mids and highs. After reading this thread, I was down to choosing between infinity 6032si or infinity kappa 62.9s. However, I decided to get JBL p662s which is almost comparable to the 62.9s. Here's the link but I ordered my off ebay for less: http://www.sonicelectronix.com....html.

I am hoping to get it installed in a week or two and I'll report back the result.

07sportm35

rocastro71 wrote:Well, I myself is not happy with the stock bose speakers. I don't have the 14 speaker system but only the 8 speaker system. Although I already have an aftermarket subwoofer added with a 500w amplifier just for the woofer, I still feel that i could improve on both mids and highs. After reading this thread, I was down to choosing between infinity 6032si or infinity kappa 62.9s. However, I decided to get JBL p662s which is almost comparable to the 62.9s. Here's the link but I ordered my off ebay for less: http://www.sonicelectronix.com....html.

I am hoping to get it installed in a week or two and I'll report back the result.
I wonder why you chose the JBL's over the Inifinit's? One thing that is HUGE, the Infiniti's come with the speaker brackets to easily adapt the speakers to your car. I'm not so sure the JBL's do.

Also, consider this, the Infinit's go down to 45Hz--but more importantly, they are extremely efficient and sensitive at 95dB. This means the weak amplifiers of the Bose system should have no problem driving them at relatively low distortion levels. The JBL's are still good at 93dB but know this...for every 3dB volume goes up by a factor of two!

My Infiniti 62.9I's should be here on the 27th.

rocastro71

I am sure all of them come with adaptive brackets for install. I chose the JBL over the Infinity coz of the quality of material they used when I compared them at the store. The specs are very close so I think I will not even noticed the big difference if there is any. You probably know more than I do on speakers but the reviews on the JBL model p662 were very good over the kappa 62.9. I will report back when I get them tomorrow if they come with brackets but if you look at the p662 non shallow model at the same link I posted, they come with brackets. Otherwise, I'll just purchase them separately. And also, both of this company are owned by Harman International so I think they are even almost the same.

pangpang77

07sportm35 wrote:
I wonder why you chose the JBL's over the Inifinit's? One thing that is HUGE, the Infiniti's come with the speaker brackets to easily adapt the speakers to your car. I'm not so sure the JBL's do.

Also, consider this, the Infinit's go down to 45Hz--but more importantly, they are extremely efficient and sensitive at 95dB. This means the weak amplifiers of the Bose system should have no problem driving them at relatively low distortion levels. The JBL's are still good at 93dB but know this...for every 3dB volume goes up by a factor of two!

My Infiniti 62.9I's should be here on the 27th.
Even the 93dB should be sufficient. I noticed that my 6032si were more efficient than the factorys and I was able to have richer sound at lower volume.

07sportm35

pangpang77 wrote:
Even the 93dB should be sufficient. I noticed that my 6032si were more efficient than the factorys and I was able to have richer sound at lower volume.
That's good to know. Thanks for the great information you have provided. Now enjoy that music!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”