door lock actuator problem

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
itsliz
Car: 2005 Nissan Murano

I have a 2005 Nissan Murano. When I purchased it new six years ago, I had an alarm system installed from an alarm shop, not the dealership. The keyless entry remote which came with the alarm both activated the alarm and the door locks simultaneously. A couple years ago, the driver's side door would not open with the keyless entry remote and had it replaced at the dealership. They said it was an actuator problem. The cost was around $400+.
Now the passenger side door and the left backseat door, along with the hatchback, would not open with the keyless entry remote even though I can hear the sound of the locks clicking inside the doors. After researching and looking into the problem, I was thinking that it might just be a problem with the wiring of the alarm. I went to an alarm shop near my house to have them take a look at it. They said the alarm was shorted out, and the door actuators were shorted out. He installed new actuators on the non-working doors (at $55.00 PER DOOR). As soon as he did that, all doors worked and the hatchback was also able to lock/unlock. Also, the actuators had a lifetime warranty to them and it did not cost me extra. I did not have to spend another $400 per door. The only downside is that now I have to use the alarm remote and the door lock remote separately.
For those whose Muranos are not locking/unlocking, and had an alarm system installed outside of the dealership, go back to the alarm shop and have them look into it.

awesomemom
Car: Nissan Murano AWD

I was having issues with the key-less entry working intermittently as well not allow the ignition to turn. I changed the batteries in both remotes. Still problem remained. I'm guessing after reading this thread that there its more then a battery. The dealer said "possibly its time for a new remote" 189 for remote and 150 to program it. I'm thinking its more then just the remote since remotes began having the problem around the same time.

Does this sound like I'm having an actuator issue? Was there ever a recall? where do I find the link for the petition to recall these if there's one?

thanks for any help
2005 Nissan Murano

aspensilvere39
Car: 2006 infiniti m35x

i just wanted to let you all know, just some food for thought, i ran into a situation where a customer of mine, her infiniti m35x, the driver's side door lock was locking or unlocking with the button or remote, all other door locks were operating, i unplugged the door lock actuator and plugged it back in, now all seems to be good.

Tuanis
Car: Murano

The problem is the Door lock actuators and when I went to the dealer they want $467.90 to fix just my driver's side door, but after almost having a heart-attack from the dealer's estimate, I checked on ebay and found a Kit to fix the door lock for only $59 so i ordered one kit (shipping was super fast) it came with very easy instructions on how to install the kit, so I installed it today in under 1HR and now everything is Back to normal, I can unlock/Lock using my original OEM key fob and also using the power switch on the door, so everything work as from factory ( no need for aftermarket alarm or remote) ... :biggrin: !!!! here is a link of the kit that I purchased. The seller is green-seller1975 and item #290874559127

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290874559127?it ... 23&vxp=mtr

davidinnashville
Car: 2005 Nissan Murano S

All of my ACTUATORs have gone out on my 2005 Murano S, barely 100k miles. Can we get a law suit going for this?
1,977 dollar repair from Nissan of Nashville. My Child cant get out of the car, the latch doesn't let you out. :confused:

stoker96
Car: 2005 Murano

I am joining the 2005 Murano actuator forum. I can believe that so many have had this problem and no one has sued.
Mine is the front driver side. Hasn't worked for years and I finally decided to fix only to find out that it costs a fortune.
I have read the entire forum and there are only a few solutions posted. Has anyone tried the solutions- taking it apart and the ebay fix it with any success?
One post for each with no other confirmation doesn't give me much confidence. I'm a fix it myselfer and just would like some validation. Thanks.

Tighe

I was contacted by a Lawyer who wanted to start a Class action law suit, but I decided to not continue because it might have to testify and it most likely would have been in California, if you want his information here it is:

Corey Dukelow
Patent Attorney
USPTO Reg. No. 52839

Abington Cole
320 South Boston Avenue
Suite 1705
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74103

918.588.3400 (Tulsa Tel. & Fax)
316.522.2700 (Wichita Tel. & Fax)
214.749.0800 (Dallas Tel. & Fax)
800.969.6570 (toll-free Tel. & Fax)
www.abingtonlaw.com

Tuanis
Car: Murano

All my locks are still working perfectly, I used the repair Kit from ebay !! but I still think nissan corp. should get a big law suit for not being responsible for this defective locks and even worst charging such high price to get it fix!! Im glad I found the repair kit from ebay just on time, because I was already planing to sell my Murano because of the lock issues!!!

Here is a Link to the repair kit I used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290990566016?ss ... 1558.l2649

york627723

I have a 2005 Murano with 80K miles (original owner, purchased new). I began experiencing the door locks not operating correctly (opening or closing) on all four door locks roughly 5 years ago when the vehicle was 5yrs old and had about 45k miles. Last year this issue began occurring in the hatch lock as well. The door locks issue is a daily occurrence in the warm weather months (anything over 70 degrees in FL). In the spring/summer I can not use my fob to unlock the drive door, and instead use the key to manually unlock the door. On more than one occasion I have been unable to open the hatch to put grocery's in the back cargo area or to retrieve luggage (i have two car seats in the back seat). I have also gotten 'stuck' in the back seat because although the door lock is in the unlock position, a passenger from within the vehicle is unable to open the door from the inside - the door can only be opened from the outside. I have noticed that if you press the lock-unlock botton on the fob or the interior door lock/unlock switch too many times (my husband thinks this is the solution) that none of the door locks with operate correctly or certain doors you cannot open from the inside. After about 15 minutes, the locks will 'reset' themselves and i can usually get in... usually.

I have also had the drivers side visor issue not staying up and have resorted to using a small bungee cord connected to the visor and roof handle by the door to hold it in place.

Just recently my Bose 6 cd player went out. It began with skipping songs (thought it was just a bad cd) and then quit working within a few days. It will skip through each cd (if all 6 are loaded) but will fail to play any of them. The cassette player still works though I have no cassettes to play.

The car over all has been sound mechanically and we have had no major issues. However, all of these irritating and some might say safety concerns, have led me to decide I will never purchase a Nissan vehicle again. The service man at my local Nissan dealership that is assigned to all Muranos is a total jerk, so I refuse to give the dealership my business. (Prior to the air intake valve recall my car completely shut off while i was driving home from work in 5 o'clock traffic at 45 mph. I coasted into a parking lot, had my vehicle towed to the dealership and was accused of getting faulty work done on my vehicle and blamed for the problem. Only months later for it to occur again and this time have a recall to explain the issue). I can not see spending thousands of dollars to fix these issues, when I feel at least the door locks and visors are a safety issue, but Nissan does not agree.

BEYOND frustrated and wanting to buy a new vehicle.

ron69

Hi i'm new her but had the same problem with pass. rear door. took it to the dealer and they told me it was going to cost $479 to fix it.After leaving the dealer piss-off i was looking on eBay and found a door lock repair kit.It was a aftermarket actuator that you hook up to the factory cable . It was only 50 bucks so i figured I would give it a shot.When i got it I looked it over and looked at the link the seller emailed me a few times . It took me about 1 1/2 hours to put it in and it worked like a charm.Hay for $50 and a little sweat and 1 1/2 hours , I think it was worth it to save over 400 bucks .Here is the link if anyone is interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281372463623?ss ... 1555.l2649

deeman98

I put one of those ebay lock actuator repair kit in about a year ago (rear door). It works like a champ.

I did a bit more research after I installed the kit and realized that I could order all the parts as a kit on the internet for $4 shipping included. I'm not kidding, US$4.00! To be fair, the ebay kit came with very detailed colour instruction which made the installation a breeze, so it was worth the $50 I paid, compared to what a dealer charges. :-)

ron69

I wouldn't trust a $4 actuator , but that's just me.

deeman98

I know what you mean, but the $4 actuator looks identical to the ebay kit. Right down to the mounting hardware and metal rod. I can't help but to think that they came from the same factory. :-)

nismofanatic2005
Car: NIsmo

I had same issue and I purchased a kit from a website many people recommend from the nissan forum they sell a nice solution (don't pay the "stealer" to fix it, cuz it will break again in a year lol) the kit a got is high quality and $ affordable ( I wouldn't trust a $4 or ebay kit).
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

nismofanatic2005 wrote:I had same issue and I purchased a kit from a website many people recommend from the nissan forum they sell a nice solution (don't pay the "stealer" to fix it, cuz it will break again in a year lol) the kit a got is high quality and $ affordable ( I wouldn't trust a $4 or ebay kit).
Here is the website:
Seriously? Why should anyone trust a link to a website that was just registered 8 days ago? Your email address "trojanvirus4you" pretty much sums you up.

ron69

deeman98 wrote:I know what you mean, but the $4 actuator looks identical to the ebay kit. Right down to the mounting hardware and metal rod. I can't help but to think that they came from the same factory. :-)
the one i got looked different than the others i seen on ebay but the hard wear looked the same. seller stated it was made from the biggest aftermarket security company in the world so its not a fly by night company that made it. here is the link again. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281397111012?ss ... 1555.l2649

sellarsd
Car: 2009 AWD Nissan Murano

Hello all - I currently have two doors that have been struck by the craptastic Nissan door lock actuator bug. I've been searching for the cheap fixes I've been reading about, but all of them stop at the '08 model. Anyone know where I can locate a cheap(er) fix? My dealership, while usually very good, wants $550 per door. Clearly, that's ridiculous for an issue that is known and ignored by the manufacturer.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

sellarsd wrote:Hello all - I currently have two doors that have been struck by the craptastic Nissan door lock actuator bug. I've been searching for the cheap fixes I've been reading about, but all of them stop at the '08 model. Anyone know where I can locate a cheap(er) fix? My dealership, while usually very good, wants $550 per door. Clearly, that's ridiculous for an issue that is known and ignored by the manufacturer.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Hello and welcome to NICOclub!

I'm pretty sure the fix for the first gen model will work on your second gen model. We've already got a thread for this topic so I've merged yours with it.
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

ron69 wrote:I wouldn't trust a $4 actuator , but that's just me.
You realize Nissan pays about 79 cents apiece for the OEM replacement part, right?

Cost is a poor predictor of performance in this area. I've replaced ours in the Frontier with the same ones (link above) and had no issues... Gotta replace the one in my Miata soon as well, and I'll buy from the same seller.

Christov1313
Car: 2004 Nissan Murano

Funny! They keep telling people that the problem is solenoids..... What a joke!!!!!! Criminals!!! I am a board level electronic technician of 25+ years and i took my 2004 Nissan Piece of Crap (Murano) apart today. There is a little junky motor inside of a box full of springs and levers. All four of my door locks fail intermittently and it is worse the hotter it gets outside.... I am going to find out what the problem is and will let y'all know. Doesn't seem to be the "Solenoids" though.

This %^&* Car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife has done 90+ % of the driving of this car (Very Gentle Driver). It has 107K on it now.

Motor mounts that fail after 50K miles!
I have to replace all shocks, struts, and stabilizers.
Motor is leaking oil badly
Visors fail after 50-75k miles (I took those apart as well and have rarely seen such *$%# "Engineering")
Door locks have been F-ing up since about 80k

SIDE NOTE: I have a Chevy Silverado that I put through hell daily with 160 K (20% off-road). I have had zero problems other than normal electrical crap (They just don't put good quality electronic parts in vehicles anymore).

jasontgray
Car: 2012 Nissan Altima

I hope someone has found a decent solution by now. I have a 2012 Altima and the front door locks do not work by the remote or in door button, only by flipping them manually.
Abut to give the car to my 15 year old daughter but want to get this fixed beforehand.

Jms4367
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima SR

My 2019 Altima has had all 4 lock actuators fail at separate times TWICE now .Approx 10,000 miles on the car. Took it to the dealership who then took 19 DAYS to diagnose and fix the problem. During those 19 days I had maybe 3 updates on the progress. Usually they just berated me and told me it was somehow my fault. At one point telling me I tampered with the a BCM body control module and tried making me pay 2300 to replace it. After refusing to pay that price and asking some common sense questions they dropped the blame game and ended up ordering all new actuators and that fixed the problem. No apology whatsoever for blaming me of course. 19 days with no offer of a loaner car or anything. My car sat inside the shop for 19 with the doors and windows open. They gave it back to me disgustingly filthy inside and out , scratches everywhere from dismantling pretty much the entire car to figure out the problem, and some terrible metal like layer all over the outside of my black car. When I ran it thru the carwash and tried towel drying it off the rag wouldn't even move across the surface of my paint it was so rough. I have no idea what had settled onto my car from inside of that repair shop. None. Cut to about 3 month ago 16,000 and 3 of the 4 lock actuators have all failed again. I'm at a loss of what to do. When I called to let then know they admitted to possibly seeing this happen on other 2019 altimas. They ordered all new actuators again but I've decided after being treated so terribly not to take it back to that same Nissan dealership. But having to start this whole process over again with another Nissan dealership seems almost unbearable.

Return to “Murano Forum”