Dog Owners and What You Feed

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Jesda

Peanut butter, mostly because its fun to watch dogs eat it.

numbnuts240
Car: 1999 exploder 4-door 5-speed, 1974 fairlady z 250gt, 2011 ford focus, 2010 mazda3

Jesda wrote:Peanut butter, mostly because its fun to watch dogs eat it.

i stuff one of these full of peanut butter

my dog loses his mind trying to get it all. then i have to mop my floors.

cellardoorv
Car: 09 Altima Coupe 6MT

Jesda wrote:
If a domestic American dog was roaming around, it would likely vomit half the stuff it ate. In Asia you'll see feral dogs, genetically the same as our pets, roaming the streets -- they're like squirrels. They don't live very long lives, either. Domestication and standardized commercial food has allowed dogs to live longer, healthier, happier.

Although there are genetic similarities that allow us to trace our loving pets to wolves and nomadic creatures, there's no point in making comparisons. They're just not the same, not tuned to the same sensitivities and not exposed to the same environments. Compared to dogs, wolves are pretty gross, laden with parasites and other problems found in nature.

This is an interesting read with mixed opinions:http://www.vetinfo.com/drawmeat.html
Agreed, but I'm pretty sure their digestive tracts are very similar. Meaning the things that would worry us, as humans, (e coli and salmonella, etc) don't pose a risk to the dog because the enzymes... or whatever, can break that stuff down no problem. Something like that. I'm working on limited information because I'm still researching. There are many pro-raw websites that obviously have pro-raw information, so I'm looking for anti-raw information and comparing the two. But it's just going to be the same as everything else. Two sides, with strong arguments on both.

However, I have personally known someone to feed their dog raw and the dog did excellently on it. But then again, Tito feeds Cuko Iams, which some people think is Doggy McDonalds, and his dog is just fine.

*shrug*

I feel like a first time parent. James is making fun of me.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

My girl said.

Boiled chicken and rice.

scoops of Plain yogurt, canned pumpkin or canned sweet potatoes.

We have a long list of different foods that we have gotten our dogs to eat.

Try different stuff.

edit* just saw what roots typed.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

Sasha <3's bananas.

Rev_D21
Car: 1986.5 D21 LB HD 2WD V6 5Speed
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

I have 2 dogs now, 1 pit (3 years) and 1 lab (10 years). We feed both Taste of the Wild. The pit has eaten that for a long time and she has a great coat, lots of energy and has had few medical problems. The lab we just adopted last week, he ate Purina stuff which we don't like, too much filler. He hasn't gotten sick as a result of the change over. His coat looks better too. Taste of the Wild or Innova, those are my choices.

bobotech

Our 2 older dogs are 14 now and they eat the cheap Walmart kibbles chinks and chews and only one of them has cancer so I'm okay with Walmart food.

Dire91
Car: 1997 Nissan 240sx SE

My Boxer gets one meal a day at night and it is 2 big scoops of dry Pedigree and half a can of the wet Pedigree stuff. Healthy and as buff as they get

Crazyirish
Car: Nothing noteworthy at the moment...

bobotech wrote:Our 2 older dogs are 14 now and they eat the cheap Walmart kibbles chinks and chews and only one of them has cancer so I'm okay with Walmart food.
I hope that was supposed to be funny.

I feed my puppy Natural Balance. So far so good although she is occasionally a bit gassy. I looked into raw diets and homemade food, but in the end I just don't have the time. Good luck!

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

Fed my dogs Royal Canin. Middle of the line food as far as quality.

My mother-in-law now has the dog with stomach sensitivity issues so we will be changing our dog food to Kirkland. Kirkland really is the best choice when trying to balance a budget with quality. It beats out a ton of higher priced alternatives, with same or just slightly diminished quality of ingredients.

Raw is okay if you have the means to accommodate it. But I don't have a spare freezer in the garage. I don't have time to search grocery stores and butcher shops looking to buy up 30lbs of chicken backs. I don't have the space for my dog to play around with a big RMB. I am far too busy to have to worry about balancing my dogs dietary needs.

I want to give my dog some extra protein...I boil some chicken or ground turkey meat and mix it in with his food.

Urabus GodofTraction
Car: 2002 WRX Wagon, 2004 SV650, 1988 Land Cruiser, 1994 XR600R

Damn, folks. They're dogs! You probably don't eat that well yourself!

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

we feed my dog science diet.... seen great results

Jesda

PEZi720 wrote:we feed my dog science diet.... seen great results
Pics of poop or it never happened

krimsonviper
Car: 2010 MS3 -PAID
2010 Mazda 3i Touring -Totaled
2006 Mazda 3i Sport -Totaled
1989 S13 -Sold
1990 S13 -Sold

cellardoorv wrote:We'll give him a bowl, he'll sniff it, and walk away. Won't touch it until we hand feed him.
Stop this.
cellardoorv wrote:KV, any idea on what the Rottie gets? What kind of meats/cuts/bones?
Always chicken. I think my brother occasionally gives beef. Legs and thighs for my dog, my brother the same and backs. NEVER cook or defrost the chicken. Doing either one takes away nutients.

Our dogs compete, BTW. Something to take into account, so doing BARF really benefits them because it gives them a healthy shiny coat, easier clean up, and a better health overall.

Check the downfalls of BARF diets as well. I know there are some downfalls to it, but I can't remember them off the top of my head anymore.

cellardoorv

Dire91 wrote:My Boxer gets one meal a day at night and it is 2 big scoops of dry Pedigree and half a can of the wet Pedigree stuff. Healthy and as buff as they get

First ingredient of that crap is corn. And more corn follows thereafter. I don't even thing there's a meat product in there. If you were to switch them... I think you'd see a radical difference.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

It amazes me how people think feeding a certain brand of dog food will affect their dog's health in any measurable effect.Stressing over what food to feed your dog is just asinine.We've had 7 dogs over the years (3 english springers, 2 goldies, 2 aussies). They've all eaten generic store brand dry food with uncooked protein a couple times a week. Every one but one (Hung himself) of them lived 15+ years with no health problems.I realize this is anecdotal and not that scientific...but neither is the claims the fancy brands sling at you for $$$.

This post doesn't matter if your dog has allergies and digestion issues of course

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

cellardoorv wrote:

First ingredient of that crap is corn. And more corn follows thereafter. I don't even thing there's a meat product in there. If you were to switch them... I think you'd see a radical difference.
You are well-informed on dog food.

I worked in the pet food industry for 4-5 yrs before working in the people food industry (lol).

Anyhow, Taste of the Wild is a really good choice. Also look into Innova EVO, which is high protein and grain-free.

A word on grain: CORN IS BAD. VERY BAD. Some dogs seem to just poop a lot and gain a lot of weight when on a high-corn, s***ty protein dog food but a very large percentage suffer allergic reactions to corn. Red rashes on stomach, hair falling out in patches, licking of paws, ear rashes/infections. Whenever I had a customer come in with a dog exhibiting those issues it was because of the dog food they were on. A lot of the pure-bred popular breeds seem to have a bad reaction to corn diets (goldens, labs, german shephered, etc)--- Rice is the best grain and most easily digested, followed by oats and barley. Dogs are indeed more omnivorous than cats (they are true carnivores).

Anyhow, I'd have them do a trial-run with a free 5 lb bag of a food that only had chicken/rice in it (like California Natural ..made by the same people who make Innova) for a few weeks and they'd come back to buy a 20lb bag because the symptoms were going away. Feeding a high quality dog food will save you money in the end (vet bills for allergy shots, medication for mystery rashes, etc). Also, when they're on a high protein/low grain/more veggie diet they POOP A LOT LESS.

It doesn't have to be expensive either. .. huge commercial names like SD, Eukanuba/Iams (same food, same company, different prices) are sometimes more money than the lesser known, higher quality companies.

Anyhow, you seem informed enough, I personally like the Natura company (Innova/Cal Nat) as they have not changed or sold out like some others have. But you're already reading ingredients lists, protein at the top of the list, no corn, no by products.. etc.

Hope that helps.

Jesda

My dog's farts stink like death on really cheap dog food so I avoid it. His energy level and coat are unaffected. His whole digestive system is worthless though. Probably inbred and retarded too, but so darn friendly. He's great for baiting women.

But yeah, corn is more empty than harmful. It varies by dog, so observe closely after making dietary changes.

skydragoness

Hell, the fact that being on a corn-free diet makes them poop less should be enough of an incentive to switch IMHO.

bobotech

Crazyirish wrote:
I hope that was supposed to be funny.

I feed my puppy Natural Balance. So far so good although she is occasionally a bit gassy. I looked into raw diets and homemade food, but in the end I just don't have the time. Good luck!
Well no, its true. I do feed my dogs Walmart food. They are dogs, not my new born baby. I'm not going to go nuts with my dog's food.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

skydragoness wrote:A word on grain: CORN IS BAD. VERY BAD. Some dogs seem to just poop a lot and gain a lot of weight when on a high-corn, s***ty protein dog food but a very large percentage suffer allergic reactions to corn. Red rashes on stomach, hair falling out in patches, licking of paws, ear rashes/infections. Whenever I had a customer come in with a dog exhibiting those issues it was because of the dog food they were on. A lot of the pure-bred popular breeds seem to have a bad reaction to corn diets (goldens, labs, german shephered, etc)--- Rice is the best grain and most easily digested, followed by oats and barley. Dogs are indeed more omnivorous than cats (they are true carnivores).
We recently switched from the dog food sold at Costco because he appeared to be allergic. Its been a couple of days on some Purina Chef Michaels food and he hasn't broken out so far. Not to mention he likes the food a lot better. I'm not sure what he might have been allergic to specifically, but the Chef Michaels food does appear to have corn gluten meal listed as an ingredient. Either way, no allergic reaction so far adn he likes the food. So no complaints here.

93coupe
Car: crap

Christine, that is a lot of useful information. Thanks so much.
ScorchedNX2K wrote: but one (Hung himself)
PLEASE expand on this.

rootS13
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx Hatch

C-Kwik wrote:
We recently switched from the dog food sold at Costco because he appeared to be allergic. Its been a couple of days on some Purina Chef Michaels food and he hasn't broken out so far. Not to mention he likes the food a lot better. I'm not sure what he might have been allergic to specifically, but the Chef Michaels food does appear to have corn gluten meal listed as an ingredient. Either way, no allergic reaction so far adn he likes the food. So no complaints here.
It contains Beet pulp which can cause allergies in dogs.

cellardoorv

Thanks Christine!

I'm pretty well-versed in anything that comes with a dog. Been researching for years until I could actually MAKE it to the point to GET a dog. Now that I have one, I'm completely prepared with INFORMATION... I just can't make a decision due to overload, I guess. We decided to keep him on the foster parents' food. He was doing well on it. I just hope he bulks up over time.
93coupe wrote: PLEASE expand on this.
It's when a dog is chained and hops over a fence/pen or what have you, and ends up hanging over the side of the fence because he can't touch the ground and chokes himself out. Happens when tied up and left unsupervised.

To all those who says "but my dog LOVES [insert crap food here]" it's mostly because dog food companies, like one such as Beneful, spray their kibble with chicken grease. Of course dogs love it. Humans LOVE Big Macs and Pizza, but that doesn't mean we should eat it everyday.

skydragoness

cellardoorv wrote:Thanks Christine!

I'm pretty well-versed in anything that comes with a dog. Been researching for years until I could actually MAKE it to the point to GET a dog. Now that I have one, I'm completely prepared with INFORMATION... I just can't make a decision due to overload, I guess. We decided to keep him on the foster parents' food. He was doing well on it. I just hope he bulks up over time.

It's when a dog is chained and hops over a fence/pen or what have you, and ends up hanging over the side of the fence because he can't touch the ground and chokes himself out. Happens when tied up and left unsupervised.

To all those who says "but my dog LOVES [insert crap food here]" it's mostly because dog food companies, like one such as Beneful, spray their kibble with chicken grease. Of course dogs love it. Humans LOVE Big Macs and Pizza, but that doesn't mean we should eat it everyday.
No problem! You sound like me, researching s*** before buying then at the end of it still being confused on what avenue to take. Oh well. At least it's a learning experience...

I could go on with dirt that I know about the big brands (Hey, like Euk/Iams and SD pay off Vets to sell their foods...kekekeke) but no one will listen anyway.

Americans can't even eat healthy themselves, let alone care what s*** they give their dogs. In the end, our diets dictate our health. It applies to all life. Malnutrition is a b**** (no pun intended )

Also you are right about Beneful and other supermarket/big store brands and the spraying of their foods. They also make them fairly salty to make them tastier too (sounds familiar...).

cellardoorv

No one listens to me either. I tried for a few years to get a friend of mine off Pedigree. He refused, and it totally shows on his dog. Dull fur/tons of shedding. Eye boogies. Breath. Loose, light-colored stools. Lack of energy.

I've had a friend who did listen and switched off Beneful, and always thanked me because of the difference it made in his Brittanys. The food's a little more expensive, but in the long run, it's an investment you make in your pet. With a higher quality food, you're feeding 1-2 cups, instead of 3-4 with a lower quality. Pet food is just like any other food. Read the ingredients. Look at what you're feeding your pet. Knowledge is power. If you think a dog is a just a dog, then fine. Who cares, right?

I realize my dog is a dog, but he's part of my family. I want him to be healthy, and do the best I can for him.

Jesda

In Southeast Asia we sometimes eat the dogs.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Just my .02.....

I think it has a lot to do with the breed of dog you have. Talk to his vet. See what he/she recommends.

I had a border collie who did very well on the entire Purina line of dog foods. Puppy Chow, then Kibbles, then Senior 7 as she got older and her eyesight started to fade. She lived to be at least 13 years old (my ex-husband lost her so I have no idea if she is alive or dead now) and the last time I saw her she was just as playful and full of energy as she always had been.

My brother raised rottweilers on Wal-Mart brand Ol'Roy. Never did have an issue with any of them. He also raised Brittney Spaniels that he kept on Science Diet. My friend had a dobie that lived to be 16 years old, she swore by Iams.

It's all a personal choice but your vet would be a valuable asset in helping you decide. *Also, check with local breeders. They might be willing to give you some advice.

krimsonviper
Car: 2010 MS3 -PAID
2010 Mazda 3i Touring -Totaled
2006 Mazda 3i Sport -Totaled
1989 S13 -Sold
1990 S13 -Sold

Jesda wrote:In Southeast Asia we sometimes eat the dogs.
True story.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

She wasn't tied up...got tangled in a rope swing. She spun it and spun it until her head was caught between the board and the twisted ropes. Instead of spinning the other way and loosening it, she probably panicked and made it even tighter. Was a wonderful sight for an 8 year old.

Return to “General Chat”