CHATROOM: OWN ANYTHING ELSE ASIDE FROM A ROGUE?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
kots1
Car: Nissan Rogue

I disagree with ImStricken and agree with FollowingFront on the reliability of Ford.

My 2008 Nissan Rogue was great for city driving but I live in sunny California where we have wide roads and Vegas is just about 3 hour drive from home. Since I hit 60K mile on the odometer, my Nissan Rogue would not make it to a 200 mile drive to Vegas without taking 2 1-hour breaks in between. I, among many Rogue owners have experienced the fail-safe mode driving for an hour on a 90 to 100+ degree summer weather. I have to take breaks and let it cool down and hope that we make it to Vegas. It became frustrating since this happened early on when Nissan was still not sure about this issue. No CEL light and OBD II scanner did not pick up any error message. Needless to say, Nissan couldn't do anything about it since they cannot duplicate the problem and there were no error codes (CEL). It was only recently after numerous complaints and Nissan has extended their CVT warranty that I attempted to contact them again. Now, they agreed to replace my CVT for free given that I have brought this issue to their attention numerous times in the past and also they know for sure now that this is a real issue. My Nissan got its CVT replacement at 89K. I rarely drive it now except going for a quick grocery or quick lunch dinner close by.

On the other hand, my 2006 Ford Crown Vic was a dream to drive to Vegas. It has heavy duty shocks, heavy duty cooling system and just plain beefy American muscle car. I admit that it is not without its own problems but it's mostly superficial and not something as serious as engine or transmission problems where I would get stranded in the middle of the road due to failure. So far the issues that I had were easy to fix and I was able to fix myself. Some of the issues: the cooling fan failed and needed replacement, changed worn out blender actuator responsible for producing heated air in the cabin, unable to fill up gas in high setting due to dirty purge evap canister solenoid - cleaned with air compressor and works now. And this is considering that it has 110K miles and 1400+ of idle hours so realistically, after converting idle hours to mileage, it is 156,200 effective miles on this car. Not bad for such a high mileage and abuse that it has gone through. Not to mention, driving it to Vegas is like driving on my sofa. It is just very comfortable and big inside. And lastly, it is very simple to maintain. No special CVT fluid and most mechanic can change the transmission oil without any special knowledge. Changing the serpentine belt and tensioner was a 15 min job compare to 1 hour+ job with the Rogue - having to take out right wheel, fender and work my belt down there in tight spaces.

kots1

followingnfront wrote:That's pretty clean. It looks like its still in service
Thank you. It was a detective's car for a public agency in Colorado. Very clean inside and out. No vomit stains or any other stains on the interior.

kots1

ImStricken wrote: i just live with this one motto that i heard my Army Sergeant tell us when we were prepping for the ranger challenge: "always maintain your gear. remember your stuff, including your weapon, was built by the lowest bidder. the government doesnt give a hoot about you. its up to you, to stay alive. dont think your gear, because its issued by the Army - is the top notch in quality. it was simply the cheapest to order in bulk." and i take that quote to my grave. its so true. just because a bunch of federal/municipal agencies order the ford's - doesnt mean its the best. its simply the cheapest or the most convenient.
I don't think this is accurate. Our military budget is high for a reason - because we don't just do lowest bid for our military or else standard issue with be Hi-Point pistols and AK-47 instead of standard issue Glock, Sig Sauer and M16. There are military standards in the US military.

tiggy_rogue

kots1 wrote:I disagree with ImStricken and agree with FollowingFront on the reliability of Ford.

My 2008 Nissan Rogue was great for city driving but I live in sunny California where we have wide roads and Vegas is just about 3 hour drive from home. Since I hit 60K mile on the odometer, my Nissan Rogue would not make it to a 200 mile drive to Vegas without taking 2 1-hour breaks in between. I, among many Rogue owners have experienced the fail-safe mode driving for an hour on a 90 to 100+ degree summer weather. I have to take breaks and let it cool down and hope that we make it to Vegas. It became frustrating since this happened early on when Nissan was still not sure about this issue. No CEL light and OBD II scanner did not pick up any error message. Needless to say, Nissan couldn't do anything about it since they cannot duplicate the problem and there were no error codes (CEL). It was only recently after numerous complaints and Nissan has extended their CVT warranty that I attempted to contact them again. Now, they agreed to replace my CVT for free given that I have brought this issue to their attention numerous times in the past and also they know for sure now that this is a real issue. My Nissan got its CVT replacement at 89K. I rarely drive it now except going for a quick grocery or quick lunch dinner close by.

On the other hand, my 2006 Ford Crown Vic was a dream to drive to Vegas. It has heavy duty shocks, heavy duty cooling system and just plain beefy American muscle car. I admit that it is not without its own problems but it's mostly superficial and not something as serious as engine or transmission problems where I would get stranded in the middle of the road due to failure. So far the issues that I had were easy to fix and I was able to fix myself. Some of the issues: the cooling fan failed and needed replacement, changed worn out blender actuator responsible for producing heated air in the cabin, unable to fill up gas in high setting due to dirty purge evap canister solenoid - cleaned with air compressor and works now. And this is considering that it has 110K miles and 1400+ of idle hours so realistically, after converting idle hours to mileage, it is 156,200 effective miles on this car. Not bad for such a high mileage and abuse that it has gone through. Not to mention, driving it to Vegas is like driving on my sofa. It is just very comfortable and big inside. And lastly, it is very simple to maintain. No special CVT fluid and most mechanic can change the transmission oil without any special knowledge. Changing the serpentine belt and tensioner was a 15 min job compare to 1 hour+ job with the Rogue - having to take out right wheel, fender and work my belt down there in tight spaces.
Kots

Thank you for sharing your experiences and I, too, would be disappointed if I face the issues you mentioned with the Rogue. However, I am not sure comparing 90s beefed up Ford design for a specific application to a 2007 Nissan design, which is designed for efficiency and passenger space, is fair. It would be more fair if Rogue is compared to New Ford Escape. Also, I am not sure you heard it but out of all the car models sold in US, the least reliable car is Ford Cmax according to consumer reports. Also, ford went down 20 spots in reliability ratings in the last 2 years.

I am not here to bash Ford, they make very nice cars these days ( the new fusion is gorgeous) but they have significant issues in reliability.

kots1

I agree. They are different and not a fair comparison. I just wanted to point out that not all Ford is crap. The heavy duty models such as the Crown Vic, F-Series trucks and Econolines are built to last. It will make it from Alaska to Chile just fine. If it does break down in the middle of a trip, a lot of mechanics knows how to work on these vehicles.

CVT is conceptually nice and feels nice but it's just too sensitive to heat. Hope this technology improves and they will figure out all the bugs soon.

Return to “Rogue Forum”