DIY:Tail Light Sensor Bypass NISSAN 300ZX

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
iTzTerrell
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX

I have been searching all over the web looking how to bypass the Tail and Stop light sensor in the back.

A lot of people say they have their box suffering from water damage.
It is a green box or orange box near the tail of the car that alerts you when you have a brake, but on the other hand if it goes out so do your tail lights.

Well here is a DIY project to bypass the useless sensor.

What you need:

-soldering gun
-solder
-wire(single,not bush)
-the old tail light sensor

What you do is unhook the tail light sensor (mines green, your may be orange as well). On the end with the plug there is a black part inside the green box pop that out and there should be a circuit board attached. What you are going to want to do is un-attach
the plug that plugged into the car from the circuit board so you have a free standing plug and circuit board. NOTE! Make sure you don't damage the plug when removing it just stick the solder gun to the ends and pop it loose.

Numbering of plugs:
4---3---2---1
5---6---7---8

!!!THE NUMBERS ARE ON THE CIRCUIT BOARD SO DON'T FORGET HOW IT GOES!!!

On the picture above is the jumper setup I did for the plug:

I soldered 4 to 5. (Tail lights)
I then soldered 2 to 7 and 8. (Brake lights)

Now plug it back into where the sensor goes and test your work.

to finish up put it back in the green box and electrical tape it up.

***I am not responsible for any damage you do this is just a guide I followed and it worked perfectly

Cams2win
Car: 91 300zx 2+2 n/a

I just joined this forum and this DIY was a big help thank you I now have all lights working as they should be

Kent92
Car: 1993 Z32 N/A 5 SPD

Hi I did this and now when my car is off and o touch brakes my dash lights up and all my markers kick on but my main problem is when I turn on my head lights my running lights are just my brake lights they don't get any brighter

MarkerZ32
Car: 1992 Z32 N/A M/T 2+0 Slicktop Phase II VG30DE, lots of bolt-ons

Kent92 wrote:Hi I did this and now when my car is off and o touch brakes my dash lights up and all my markers kick on but my main problem is when I turn on my head lights my running lights are just my brake lights they don't get any brighter

Had the same problem with mine when I did the bypass. It took some trial and error to get it wired up right. I'll post a pic in this thread in a few minutes for you to show you exactly which wires to connect.

MarkerZ32
Car: 1992 Z32 N/A M/T 2+0 Slicktop Phase II VG30DE, lots of bolt-ons

I would have been too confusing with just pictures so it was just easier to make a video.

FTRZ32
Car: 1991 300ZX TT

So based on the video, can someone update which number needs to be soldered where pretty please. I am going the soldered route and would be kindly appreciate it!

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”