DIY: Subwoofer and Amplifier Installation

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
misfit77
Car: 2013 Infiniti M56

Doing an install in my 2013 M56. I search and searched and tried various ways to determining the polarity on the subwoofer outputs.I couldnt find anything definitive.

Which is + and which is -? I eventually went with the Red/Blue + and Pink/Blue - I really don't know if this is right.

Also, I left the mic connected and I get a mean bass hum at Idle, but when driving, nothing. Pulling the pin out tonight.

conaigh
Car: Current - 18 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa, Stone - Essential, Sport, Proactive Pack
Sold - 14 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD - Premium, Sport Pack

Sorry to revive this older post, but dear god please someone help me lol.... I'm about to throw in the towel....

Got a Helix DSP3, JL XD700/5v2 and an enclosed JL 12TW1; using a LP7-2 tapped into rear woofer after amp. I am not using the Helix as all I have is the unit and a 4 wide adapter piece for high level input (no plug piece for power/ground/remote in/out).

LOC indicator comes on, and amp indicator turns on, but no sound out of sub. OEM sub works properly with the LOC tapped into the woofer line but even messing with gain adjustment and remote, still don't get sound out. RCA's ran to sub in; settings to low, output mono sub.

I have a multimeter but don't have a test amp / sub. Just looking for some direction; audio is not my forte. Thanks

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

On a factory Bose or Rockford setup, the subwoofer will have an on/off signal that passes through the amp from the AV Unit. That's standard with self-powered woofers, it keeps the woofer from sucking power and making static while the main amp is shut down. I don't deal much with aftermarket audio and I know zero about your Helix or what else you're trying to do, but it certainly sounds like your amp has power but isn't being enabled for output.

conaigh
Car: Current - 18 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa, Stone - Essential, Sport, Proactive Pack

Thanks for the reply. I haven't had much time to "work" on this besides a ton of googling/attempts at research. I basically got the amp/dsp/sub for free and didn't know exactly what I was getting. It was working in the Q50 it came out of, just missing some wires, primarily the power/ground/remote in and out plug for the DSP. I'm not too concerned about it as from what I've read, it seems a bit overkill since I wouldn't plan on wiring everything through it, just the sub.

Looking into the amp I have, it seems it can take high level input via the RCA inputs, which I didn't understand when I initially posted. I think my error in the beginning was either in how I had the LOC wired (someone elsewhere told me I had it wired wrong and with the LP7 to take white solid and gray solid to one line, and stipes to another when tapping the rear woofer line, but that contradicts what the instructions say) or settings on the amp itself.

I need to snag a short RCA as I don't want to cut my nice 25ft one and tap it into the rear woofer line but am thinking that's where my problems were.

Caleylynn
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37

For anybody who was oblivious like me as to where to connect your LOC’s 12v wire to, connect it to the purple accessory wire that’s on the first harness going to your stock amp. At first I tried connecting it to the main power wire on my amp, & although that worked, when I turned my car off the bass would go up VERY loud for like 5-10secs & then shut off. I knew I needed to connect it to the accessory wire or a wire that only got hot when I turned the car on but I could not find a wire diagram ANYWHERE on the internet or a straight answer on which wire was the accessory wire on any forum, so I had to take my tester light & test each individual terminal & figure it out myself. Hopefully this helps someone! (Btw I didn’t have to cut my green microphone wire)
Attachments
IMG_3416.jpeg

conaigh

Caleylynn wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:25 am
For anybody who was oblivious like me as to where to connect your LOC’s 12v wire to, connect it to the purple accessory wire that’s on the first harness going to your stock amp. At first I tried connecting it to the main power wire on my amp, & although that worked, when I turned my car off the bass would go up VERY loud for like 5-10secs & then shut off. I knew I needed to connect it to the accessory wire or a wire that only got hot when I turned the car on but I could not find a wire diagram ANYWHERE on the internet or a straight answer on which wire was the accessory wire on any forum, so I had to take my tester light & test each individual terminal & figure it out myself. Hopefully this helps someone! (Btw I didn’t have to cut my green microphone wire)
My understanding, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, is that cutting the mic wires is due to the noise cancellation being played through the factory sub, and by extension the added sub since we're tapping into the factory sub which can cause poor sound quality/playback - not required for functionality but would improve quality.

Kevin822398
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56 S

This whole forum has helped me so much with my install I just have a few more questions. I’m running a Taramps Smart Bass 5k to a coustom 18” sub in a 6cu ft box(yes I have 0 trunk). Powered by 96 amp hours of Headway and a yellow top under the hood. Loc is a lc7i and I’m tapped off only the factory sub in the 16 speaker system. I’ve seen folks talking already about the sub being crossed at 40htz 12db but what about above 40 htz? How high does the stock sub play. And do any of the other 16 speakers play below 40 htz with less problem? Maybe the 6x9s in the front doors? I’m really missing the 25-30 htz range right now. Hoping to not need a dsp. And then wondering if anyone has put a ib to work on one of these cars yet I saw it being discussed. Would be interesting since the seats don’t fold down. Thanks all!

Kevin822398
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56 S

conaigh wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:41 am
Thanks for the reply. I haven't had much time to "work" on this besides a ton of googling/attempts at research. I basically got the amp/dsp/sub for free and didn't know exactly what I was getting. It was working in the Q50 it came out of, just missing some wires, primarily the power/ground/remote in and out plug for the DSP. I'm not too concerned about it as from what I've read, it seems a bit overkill since I wouldn't plan on wiring everything through it, just the sub.

Looking into the amp I have, it seems it can take high level input via the RCA inputs, which I didn't understand when I initially posted. I think my error in the beginning was either in how I had the LOC wired (someone elsewhere told me I had it wired wrong and with the LP7 to take white solid and gray solid to one line, and stipes to another when tapping the rear woofer line, but that contradicts what the instructions say) or settings on the amp itself.

I need to snag a short RCA as I don't want to cut my nice 25ft one and tap it into the rear woofer line but am thinking that's where my problems were.
My best guess if you have you amp set to expect to see high level inputs as if you put the sub speaker wire straight into the amp(this is what you should do if you amp has it) this would give you less output with the gain all the way maxed out than what you would get if your amp was set to low level inputs with the gain at nothing. Making you think something wrong but in reality it’s just too quite to hear

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”