DIY: Brake Shift Interlock Solenoid FIX!

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The '14 Rogue setup is very similar to the Gen5 Altima, and it's always the switch that fails, never the solenoid. Chances are it's the same switch as on the -3NW4A Altima shifter and you can repair it the same way:

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/help- ... e-fix.html

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

jedijosh wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:49 am
When your "Park Position Switch" was bad, did your Driver Information Center still show that you were in Park?
PS - The "P" signal in the cluster comes from the Range Switch on the tranny, not the shifter. So yes, the cluster will still show Park.

jedijosh
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD w/ Premium Package

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:43 am
jedijosh wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:49 am
When your "Park Position Switch" was bad, did your Driver Information Center still show that you were in Park?
PS - The "P" signal in the cluster comes from the Range Switch on the tranny, not the shifter. So yes, the cluster will still show Park.
Thank you for the quick and helpful responses. The switch seems to be an easy and cheap fix so I was leaning towards replacing it. The cluster showing Park was throwing me off but your info helps.

jedijosh

TLDR; My 2014 Rogue SV from the US appears to need a slightly different part than mentioned previously in this thread. The "Park Position Switch" in my Rogue is a Normally Closed switch. It was also a hinge lever and not a simulated roller lever (I don't think this actually matters). I have ordered the D3M-01K1 Omron switch for my repair.

Details:
Thanks to the helpful info on this post, I attempted this repair this past weekend. I ordered the D3M-01K3-3 switch mentioned previously in this thread. After replacing the switch and reassembling the shifter, I could hear the solenoid activating when in Park and pressing the Brake. The shifter button was able to be pressed to allow me to shift out of Park. Everything was looking good...until I took it for a drive. Unfortunately when I drove the Rogue for the first time after the repair, a "Key System Error" popped up on my Driver Information Center very quickly after being in Drive and driving. There were no issues driving the Rogue with this error on the screen but clearly something wasn't right.

As I researched the "Key System Error" online, I stumbled across a post where someone had done a very similar repair but the original switch was "Normally Closed" whereas the replacement switch was "Normally Open". I busted out my multimeter and checked the resistance of the switches. Sure enough, the switch I had removed was "Normally Closed" (I also later noticed that "NC" was printed right on the switch :facepalm:) whereas the D3M-01K3-3 switch I had replaced it with is a "Normally Open" switch. I believe the Rogue was throwing the "Key System Error" because the switch was saying the shifter was in Park but the car was driving. I swapped the old switch back in and the "Key System Error" didn't reappear after taking it for a drive. I've ordered a new replacement switch - this one being D3M-01K1. D3M-01K1 is a "Normally Closed" switch and is a hinge lever switch. As far as I can tell, this matches my old switch configuration. Once the new part arrives and I put it in, I'll post an update. The solenoid was activating consistently with the incorrect replacement switch so I'm hopeful that the switch was the problem and putting the correct replacement in will fix the problem long-term.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That sounds like you're changing the detente switch and not the park solenoid switch. The detente switches are almost always NC. Trace the switch wires, if one wire doesn't run directly to the solenoid then you're changing the wrong one.

jedijosh

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:15 am
That sounds like you're changing the detente switch and not the park solenoid switch. The detente switches are almost always NC. Trace the switch wires, if one wire doesn't run directly to the solenoid then you're changing the wrong one.
Appreciate the continued help. When I open it back up, I'll take a look at the wiring to double-check. From what I recall, the wires did not run to the solenoid which would imply I changed the wrong one.

jedijosh

I opened it back up and sure enough I had changed the wrong switch initially. I traced the wires, found the Park Position switch, and swapped it out with the Omron D3M-01K3-3 switch. After swapping out that switch and re-assembling, the solenoid has been activating consistently and allowing me to shift out of Park.

Unfortunately on the 3rd drive after swapping the switch, I started receiving a Key System Error again. I was getting this last time when I had accidentally swapped the detent switch from Normally Closed to Normally Open. I double-checked the specs between the replacement Park Position Switch and the original and everything matches (Normally Open, 100mA, 30V) so not sure what's causing that error. It's also odd that the error didn't pop up the first 2x the car was driven. Unless anyone has any suggestions, I'm probably going to take the car in and have an expert take a look.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Check to make sure the detente mechanism is working smoothly and use a voltmeter to make sure the detente switch is transitioning cleanly with the button on the shifter. The first rule in a situation like this is, re-inspect whatever you touched. The lever on the new switch may need adjustment or some debris may have invaded the mechanism while you had it out.

jedijosh

Ok, hopefully the final update. When I had last opened it up, I replaced both the Park Position Switch and the detente switch since I had replacements for both. To troubleshoot the Key System Error issue, I pulled the new detente switch out. I tested the new and old switches with a multimeter and the resistance level was testing higher on the new switch than the old switch when the switch was closed. I put the old detente switch back in (since it didn't need to be replaced to begin with). Everything has been working great for over a week - no issues shifting from Park and no Key System Error.

Thanks VStar650CL for your help along the way!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome! Yah, the detente switches never fail because they only carry micro-amps of signal current, not half an amp like the park switch. Glad you got it straightened away, happy motoring!

TechnicallyBusted
Car: ???

Hi everyone,

Wanted to share my experience with a 2018 rogue not shifting out of park. I had the same issue described here. The shift lock trigger would not release the shifter out of park. If I pulled back on the shifter first then pulled the trigger it would work sometimes. Thanks to this forum, I was able to track down this problem and found a temporary fix. The issue ended up being the parking interlock switch was not sensing the shifter was in park. Unfortunately finding where the parking switch was located was a bit difficult. Mainly because the 2018 shifter has a different design compared to the 2014 models. The solenoid and interlock switches are buried deep inside the shifter and not visible.

I could not find any videos showing where the parking switch was located. Finally I found a picture of the solenoid part it self, which led me to where the park switch was located. I did not see a easy way to get to the parking switch, without completely removing the entire console. After some time of scratching my head, I found a way to get my finger tips on the switch. I had to detach the shifting cable, this gave me room to get my fingers down inside the shifter. Then I was able to touch the parking switch actuator. I was able to push the metal actuator and bent it out so the shifter would make better contact with the switch. So far this has fixed my issue. Most likely the issue will come back, but at least I know for sure what part I need to replace.

Anyway, thank you all for leading me down the right path.
Attachments
875E808D-2B4F-4874-8744-9C583446A83E.jpeg
DDF2300B-9750-43E3-B5F1-0C08C531BED2.jpeg

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Bending the arm will move the contact point off the "soft spot" inside the switch temporarily, but the real problem is that the plating in the switch contacts is disintegrating. The spot will move and the switch will fail again. Those switches are identical to the ones in the Titan shifters and replacements are available, I recommend an Omron D3M-01K3-3.

HikeForFood
Car: ???

My wife's 2015 Nissan Rogue has developed this "stuck in park" problem, and this forum post appears very helpful in identifying the likely problem as the Park Position Switch. I have ordered the replacement switch (OMRON D3M-01K3-3), and would like to replace it. However, I have two questions about this:

1) How do you remove the console cover that would allow access to the existing switch? I don't see any screws and I am very reluctant to just try ripping the plastic apart. (I remember my father, 40-50 years ago, bemoaning the emergence of molded plastic snap-in parts in cars and other devices!) If I can just get the cover off without damage, the switch replacement itself should be simple.

2) What is the purpose of the Park Position Switch that I intend to replace? As I understand it, the purpose is to keep the driver from shifting out of Park if the car is not already in Park. But surely there must be something more to it than that. Of course you are in Park if you are trying to shift out of Park. What am I missing here? To state this another way, if it were possible to simply short out the Park Position Switch, so that the switch always looked closed, would this hurt anything?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The console cover just pries loose with a plastic prybar, but first you need to remove the shift knob. There's a sleeve underneath the knob which pulls down, then a horseshoe clip which holds the knob onto the shaft. Be careful removing the clip, we call them "Jesus Christ clips" because that's what you'll cuss if you let it spring loose and shoot across the garage. Once you remove the knob and pry up the cover, unhook the wires and you can remove it. On Rogues the detente button needs to be pulled out with a hook tool when putting it back on, it won't seat if the button isn't pulled out manually.

The purpose of the interlock is to make sure your foot is on the brake when you shift out of Park. The brake lamp circuit supplies power to the solenoid, so it won't function unless both the brake is pressed and the switch is in the Park position.

Return to “Rogue Forum”