DIY: Nissan Transmission Cooler Fan Install

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
kots1
Car: Nissan Rogue

ImStricken06 wrote:check out what i just drew up lolol
LOL. Probably need to stick that diagram with the distribution fuse/relay box you are planning to build. It will help jog your memory or anyone working on that car. That Rogue is built tough.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i just drew up a remote for the relay's, using a cat5 cable to control the main unit. (since a relay only needs half an amp to activate, the cat5 cable will be perfect)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

it was 92F here today, and the CVT whine was almost non existent. i am impressed! (ps: the fans were on constantly, even at 80mph)

kots1

ImStricken06 wrote:it was 92F here today, and the CVT whine was almost non existent. i am impressed! (ps: the fans were on constantly, even at 80mph)
How long was your drive? Did you have the CVT whine problem before even with the the mini radiator for the tranny? I know one member here from AZ who installed an aftermarket Hayden radiator but still experienced the CVT whine. Maybe he should consider adding a fan to his radiator.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kots1 wrote:
ImStricken06 wrote:it was 92F here today, and the CVT whine was almost non existent. i am impressed! (ps: the fans were on constantly, even at 80mph)
How long was your drive? Did you have the CVT whine problem before even with the the mini radiator for the tranny? I know one member here from AZ who installed an aftermarket Hayden radiator but still experienced the CVT whine. Maybe he should consider adding a fan to his radiator.
my drive is about 40 minutes. i usually have a whine within 15minutes of that commute, since its low speeds & traffic the first 15-20mins prior to getting onto a highway

kots1

ImStricken06 wrote:
kots1 wrote: How long was your drive? Did you have the CVT whine problem before even with the the mini radiator for the tranny? I know one member here from AZ who installed an aftermarket Hayden radiator but still experienced the CVT whine. Maybe he should consider adding a fan to his radiator.
my drive is about 40 minutes. i usually have a whine within 15minutes of that commute, since its low speeds & traffic the first 15-20mins prior to getting onto a highway
That sounds extreme. Have you changed your CVT fluid recently? I've read that the thermal properties of Tranny fluid in general degrades overtime especially when constantly subjected to high temps.

But it's good to know that this fan helped. This is a good test that this is a solution to the CVT whine issue and it is not that hard to install. If you already have the mini-radiator, you can even install the fan without removing the bumper like how I did on mine. The fan was small enough to get into the bumper openings and secured with zip ties also through the bumper openings.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

post pics of your install!

my car has 96k on the original fluid. and its always whined in the summer after 15mins of driving. thats just the properties of this tranny. plenty of people on here had new trannies installed, and the whine came back after 15k

kots1

ImStricken06 wrote:post pics of your install!

my car has 96k on the original fluid. and its always whined in the summer after 15mins of driving. thats just the properties of this tranny. plenty of people on here had new trannies installed, and the whine came back after 15k

Yes. I will work on getting some pics this weekend. It maybe hard to see it without taking off the bumper.

That's a lot of mileage on the original CVT. Mine is almost 20k on a replaced CVT. Just over 100K miles now and the whole CVT was replaced around 80k+ miles. I am planning to do a full flush soon. I think that's really pushing the life of your CVT even if Nissan told us that this is lifetime fluid.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

this tranny is due for a replacement. i just keep pushing it back lol but i know that i will get a new one soon lol

kots1

ImStricken06 wrote:this tranny is due for a replacement. i just keep pushing it back lol but i know that i will get a new one soon lol
LOL. You are due for it. It took me a couple of tries starting at 60 k miles and then eventually they did after hitting 80k+ miles and showing them the TSB about problems with CVT. They will push you to do a coolant flush too while they were at it. Do not do it. They will have to flush out the coolant anyway to replace the CVT. So I got new tranny, fluid and coolant replaced plus cleaned up the engine bay without charge. :)

kots1

Here's some pics I took with the bumper on. Click below to open up the full album. When I get the chance to do the tranny flush, I will take another pic with bumper off.
http://imgur.com/a/k62ZK

Pardon the purple zip ties. I can't find my black zip ties until after I was done with the install. The fan was installed without taking off the bumper so space was limited when securing the fan.

djm3452004
Car: 2013 Rogue

kots1 wrote:
5.56 wrote: do you remember which one was "in" and which one was "out" on the mini radiator? was the top
tube "in" and the bottom "out"(back to the tranny)
I didn't verify which is in vs out but based on the pic above you posted from another member, top is in and bottom is out.

Hi All—

I’m in the middle of a fan installation on my 2013 Rogue’s aux. trans. cooler similar to what you all have described. I am planning on using the in-line thermostat to activate the fan instead of tapping into the other (2) cooling fans.

My question is this: it’s been stated that the top hose into the factory Nissan trans. cooler is the supply/hot side, and bottom hose is the return/cool side, but has this actually been verified?

I’m asking because the directions for Derale’s 3rd-party trans. cooler+fan kit appears to be calling for the bottom port to be the hot supply, and the top port to be the cool return, and I saw this information again on a Jeep magazine website. (I tried to post the links to these other info. sources, but the forum doesn't permit that apparently.) So far, the Nissan factory transmission cooler seems to be the only one has the supply at the top of the cooler, and the return at the bottom.

I’m using the Derale thermostat/switch, which according to their instructions is supposed to be installed on the supply hose to the cooler, so figuring out which one is which is probably important.

Anyway, hopefully someone can chime in, thanks in advance for the help!

Dave

Return to “Rogue Forum”