DIY: Nissan Transmission Cooler Fan Install

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kots1 wrote:Did you measure with Torque app while your A/C is on? A/C on may have kept cycling one of the fans.
yep. below 30mph both fans were cycling back & forth. after 30ishmph, none of the fans turned on. and yesterday was SUPER hot here.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i again checked the fan, duty cycles. the low speed was constantly on, even during highway speeds. the high speed fan, was only seldomly on during cruising speeds, and was on mostly below 30mph. so thats the fan (high) that i will be hooking up the new tranny fan.

kots1
Car: Nissan Rogue

5.56 wrote:i again checked the fan, duty cycles. the low speed was constantly on, even during highway speeds. the high speed fan, was only seldomly on during cruising speeds, and was on mostly below 30mph. so thats the fan (high) that i will be hooking up the new tranny fan.
which side is the high fan - passenger or driver side? I couldn't wait so I also bought a kit and will plan to install it this weekend:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T3T7IJU - $25.xx
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C0SATHE $6.xx

kots1

I also see 4 wires hooked to each fan. I will have to tap on each to check which wire is the +12 V unless you already figure that out.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kots1 wrote:I also see 4 wires hooked to each fan. I will have to tap on each to check which wire is the +12 V unless you already figure that out.
thats gonna be my plan as well.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kots1 wrote:I also see 4 wires hooked to each fan. I will have to tap on each to check which wire is the +12 V unless you already figure that out.
one fan is run by temp sensor. the other goes when ac is on.
1 could be low, 1 could be medium, 1 could be high, and 1 could be ground.

i will just poke around until i find the one that runs the HIGH fan circuit

kots1

5.56 wrote:
one fan is run by temp sensor. the other goes when ac is on.
1 could be low, 1 could be medium, 1 could be high, and 1 could be ground.

i will just poke around until i find the one that runs the HIGH fan circuit
Check this out from 350z forum. just to give an idea on the combinations to tap into 2 out of the 4 wires. I thought I can just put the fan ground wire to a bare metal. We may need to run two wires - Blue (Hi+) and Yellow (Hi-).

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-driv ... ost9854252

Another thread from 350z forum showing conflicting info - Blue (Lo+), Green (Hi+), Common ground:
http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-driv ... st10407385

I am inclining towards the first link since it doesn't make sense that yellow wire was not mentioned on the 2nd link.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i got the fan, and recorded a video. editing it now. standby guys! this little guy is a beast!!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kots1

Excellent work and clear explanation on the video! I got my fan last night and it is similar to yours except for the shroud. It looks like they are from the same fan manufacturer. I also did a bench test and I am also impressed with how much air it moves. I can't wait to do an install this weekend - if I get some time.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kots1 wrote:Excellent work and clear explanation on the video! I got my fan last night and it is similar to yours except for the shroud. It looks like they are from the same fan manufacturer. I also did a bench test and I am also impressed with how much air it moves. I can't wait to do an install this weekend - if I get some time.
have you figured out, which way is the fan's most efficient direction? take a look at the fins, and and see which direction to spin the blades to get optimal flow. and then decide in which format you want to install it (pusher or puller). you have to see if you want to create a vacuum, or to push air.

i still have to look to see which is best for mine.

kots1

5.56 wrote:
kots1 wrote:Excellent work and clear explanation on the video! I got my fan last night and it is similar to yours except for the shroud. It looks like they are from the same fan manufacturer. I also did a bench test and I am also impressed with how much air it moves. I can't wait to do an install this weekend - if I get some time.
have you figured out, which way is the fan's most efficient direction? take a look at the fins, and and see which direction to spin the blades to get optimal flow. and then decide in which format you want to install it (pusher or puller). you have to see if you want to create a vacuum, or to push air.

i still have to look to see which is best for mine.
Since I will be mounting on the front side, I would do a pusher - blowing to mini radiator. Reverse polarity on mine for pusher - blue to ground and black to +12V. This is so it does not interfere with air flow at highway speeds.

Unicorn
Car: 2013 Rogue S, Special Edition AWD

Not a bad idea. I'm still looking at installing a transmission cooler on mine. Supposedly the 2013 doesn't need it, but well even on logging roads and dirt trails it's more than I want to risk.

kots1

Just finished my install. I hooked it up to the green wire on the driver side fan side (not harness). I cannot find out which is the high fan. It's either on or off on my 2008 Rogue S. With engine running, both fans are off. A/C turned on, both fans are on and will cycle on and off periodically at the same time. I cannot tell if I even have a low setting.

The passenger fan has 2 hot and 2 ground. But the 2 ground is not a common ground so I picked the driver side fan because my relay is designed for circuits with common ground.

Driver side fan has 2 hot (both tested positive on continuity test so this tells me they are both the same wire) and 2 ground both leading to the main ground.

So in summary, either green or blue wire on the driver side can be used to hooked to an aux radiator fan.

So far so good and I can feel the air moving on my feet when I have my feet right outside the driver or passenger door. It sounds like a heavy duty truck. You can hear this aux fan blowing out loud. I love the sound of it.

Sorry, I have not taken pics. It's over 100 F here in SoCal and I cut myself and hurt my finger during the process. I guess I should listen to my wife that I am too old for this shade tree mechanic hobby. :)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i KNEW you were up to no good! hahaha/jk i too was busy ;) video coming soon!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

How soon can we expect to see results posted of its efficacy?

kots1

Very nice and professionally installed! looking good! I forgot about the torque app. I checked my Torque app and I don't have those fan speed widgets. Do you have the paid app or free version?

After reading the service manual, high fan don't turn on until over 212 F (100 C). Since the blue or green wire I mentioned on the driver side fan is 12 V on AC ON with temp < 210 F, I believe I hooked mine to the Lo fan. Although, it cycles on and off. Maybe that is how the ECM defines its LO setting - pulsates HI/OFF instead of lowering fan speed.

I guess I'll leave mine as-is. My concern was I don't want this aux fan ON on high speed. The diagram below shows that both FAN turns OFF at speed over 50 MPH unless on abnormal conditions. Which wire on the fan motor did you tapped into?

According to the service manual (EC-65):

kots1

Rogue One wrote:How soon can we expect to see results posted of its efficacy?
Good question. I don't have a scientific method other than, touching the inlet port and outlet port and measuring how long can I tolerate it. The result was inconclusive for me. Hahaha! I still cannot hold outlet port long enough to conclude that the fan helps. But I'm sure having a fan is better than no fan at all.

I'll think of a more scientific method. LOL.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kots1 wrote:Which wire on the fan motor did you tapped into?
so according to my 'figurin lol, our system runs both fans, at super low, medium and high settings. there is no wire that sends low speed, and then another wire that sends medium, high, etc. its weird. it seems like a regulator on the fans accepts 13-14volts, to accept more voltage for more speed. i couldnt figure it out. i tried testing with a volt meter, and i would find the passenger side has 2 positive, and 2 negative; both registering 14ish volts but they are grounded internally(which means you cant ground the negative wire just anywhere on the car; it has to touch the gray/pink wire on the plug to turn on & off.) i guess one is low, and one is high and the regulator on the fan itself, decides which is which.

the driver side fan had a green wire that was either one or off, and its grounded to the chassis via the black wire.

regarding the torque app, yes i paid for the app, and then bought the Nissan extension to see more sensors. its worth it form me, since i am anal about sensors lol

today i will be doing the wiring video..... stay tuned!! ;)

ps: great work lots1! i am proud of you buddy! that cali sun probably was miserable! haha

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

PS: i too, jumped off the green wire; since its common grounded through the chassis

Kot1 i caught something rather interesting for you. (video of this phenomenon coming soon). It appears we have more than 2 settings on the fan speeds. it seem as we have ultra low, low, medium, and high.

the car was sitting in the sun, and the a/c was off. all the fans were off. the Torque APP was reading as all the fans being off. the coolant temps climbed up to 208F, and then the fans turned on, but they were whisper quiet. the torque APP stated that the fan speed LOW was activated. the temps quickly dropped to like 197F, and they turned off. BUT THE TRANS COOLER DIDNT TURN ON! i thought i had a problem. i got really upset lol, so i quickly clicked on the A/C and everything turned on to like a Medium fan speed, the torque app once again stated the fan was on LOW, and this time my trans-cooler fan turned on.
so the torque app reads ultra low, low, and medium as just one setting: LOW.

i guess the ultra low is what the ECM uses to cool the engine coolant, once it enters the radiator, while driving/standing if needed(when the A/C is not active). if i am correct, then our trans cooler fan will NOT be active while driving, unless the fans are on LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH. it seem as if the LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH is used for the a/c system more than the car.

but then once the fans reach a setting of high, they dont turn off for a while. and i mean a while! even if the a/c is off.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

this is that video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnzHqudgG6E[/youtube]

kots1

Great discovery right there! Even the Rogue manual only mentioned 3 states: Off/Low/High

So the ultra low spins both fan? That can really get confusing with all those combinations. Not to mention the cycling from LO to OFF repeatedly with AC on and engine coolant at < 208 F.

In our case, we should be good with the wiring. The only negative impact, if there are, is on cold winter when AC is on (to defog) will kick the tranny fan and will slow down the cvt oil from getting up to optimal temp. I put a connector on mine that I can unplug easily from the bumper opening for those instances. Not that we get winters here in Cali. It's just in the future when doing road trips to other colder regions.

Nice work there detective and thanks for recording the video!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kots1 wrote:I put a connector on mine that I can unplug easily
i did the same thing! lol thats so funny. but then i realized, we can just yank the fuse on the fuse holder, and that in itself is the thing to cut power lol
Nice work there detective and thanks for recording the video!
i have the wiring video being edited right now. stand by. ;)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i think the fans are split into multiple duty cycles. it must depend on the a/c line pressures and where the coolant is at.

my guess is something like this:
(no a/c)cool down, for coolant: ultra-low
ac on & coolant: cycles of low & periods of high
ac max setting: high fan speed

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

is it me, or is the A/C now a tad colder?

kots1

5.56 wrote:is it me, or is the A/C now a tad colder?
I cannot tell any difference in my AC temp. I can tell that the tranny fan has a secondary effect in helping cool down the main radiator faster. My Rogue shuts off all fans more frequently now. With all 3 fans running, the air flow is all sync in the same direction so that helps drastically. It is just such beautiful thing to watch all fans moving in concert and listen to them. :)
5.56 wrote: i did the same thing! lol thats so funny. but then i realized, we can just yank the fuse on the fuse holder, and that in itself is the thing to cut power lol
Great minds think alike! LOL. It's true. I didn't consider that we do have the inline fuse to act as another switch. :)

Great video on the wiring. You got a lot of custom add-ons there coming from the main battery positive terminal. I'm guessing those are for your extra fog/emergency lights. I like the amount of cable wire loom you used and heat shrinking of all joints. If only I am that OCD, then my install would look as professional. LOL.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kots1 wrote:I can tell that the tranny fan has a secondary effect in helping cool down the main radiator faster. My Rogue shuts off all fans more frequently now. With all 3 fans running, the air flow is all sync in the same direction so that helps drastically.
agreed. i also noticed how quickly the fans turn off now, that we have more air flow.
It is just such beautiful thing to watch all fans moving in concert and listen to them. :)
i also find myself listening for that little fan lol
You got a lot of custom add-ons there coming from the main battery positive terminal. I'm guessing those are for your extra fog/emergency lights. I like the amount of cable wire loom you used and heat shrinking of all joints. If only I am that OCD, then my install would look as professional. LOL.
i have trailer wiring harness running to the rear, emergency light switch panel controller, the led off-road light, and now this fan. i have everything loomed, fused, relayed, and over protected lol. what you didnt see is that i have the emergency light switch panel wired through not only 2 fuses(one near the battery, and one under the seat) but i also have it through a BUSSMANN Short Stop Circuit Breaker lol(you know, just in case hahah)

i have been giving it serious though to build my own fuse box / distribution relay box.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

check out what i just drew up lolol

Return to “Rogue Forum”