DIY: Nissan Rogue Transfer Case Fluid Change

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
dna9656
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV

My major concern here is to change the fluid at or before the required time/mileage and be able to prove it using Dealer maintenance records or through updating the car's record keeping mechanism so there's no denying by Nissan that the requirement was fulfilled at or before the maintenance schedule intervals (in case of component failure under the warranty) if necessary. I doubt a receipt showing the lube was purchased would be accepted (although that has been ok for oil changes for years...)
I just got off the phone with the service department of the selling dealer. I called them to learn what acceptable documentation (or if it had to be updated in the fluid deterioration function of the car's computer) was to to prove thew CVT was serviced at (or before) the required intervals in case of CVT failure (for those that don't know that's called CYA) so The tranny would be fixed under the warranty. I was informed that all that service was done at the 40,000 mile service point; that I didn't need to do it. I explained that (named the service write) informed me the fluid had changed color and it was recommenced it be changed; the guy says "no, it's fine" so now I wonder if some one there at the dealer is going to get a little talking to about recommending services not required..... Sears got caught doing that, maybe that's 1 reason Sears is no longer with us. They were banned from all but tires and batteries as a consequence to false maintenance recommendations to their customers.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

dna9656 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:42 am
My major concern here is to change the fluid at or before the required time/mileage and be able to prove it using Dealer maintenance records or through updating the car's record keeping mechanism so there's no denying by Nissan that the requirement was fulfilled at or before the maintenance schedule intervals (in case of component failure under the warranty) if necessary. I doubt a receipt showing the lube was purchased would be accepted (although that has been ok for oil changes for years...)
I just got off the phone with the service department of the selling dealer. I called them to learn what acceptable documentation (or if it had to be updated in the fluid deterioration function of the car's computer) was to to prove thew CVT was serviced at (or before) the required intervals in case of CVT failure (for those that don't know that's called CYA) so The tranny would be fixed under the warranty. I was informed that all that service was done at the 40,000 mile service point; that I didn't need to do it. I explained that (named the service write) informed me the fluid had changed color and it was recommenced it be changed; the guy says "no, it's fine" so now I wonder if some one there at the dealer is going to get a little talking to about recommending services not required..... Sears got caught doing that, maybe that's 1 reason Sears is no longer with us. They were banned from all but tires and batteries as a consequence to false maintenance recommendations to their customers.
You need to understand that for most late models, Nissan doesn't call for CVT service at all except for "severe service", and then they only call for it at 60K. Dealers routinely make up s#!t when discussing it with customers because real-world guidance from Nissan or Jatco is basically absent. So there's actually zero requirement for you to ever service it and warranty isn't the real issue. The real question is whether you plan to drive it for less than 60K and trade it in or whether you actually want the tranny to last. If you want the former, drive it and forget it. If you want the latter, change it at 30K or less and use Eneos (or genuine NS3) to preserve the color in case it was built on a bad day and fails under warranty despite the maintenance.

dna9656

VStar;
You speak like a Nissan representative. Are you one?
We bought this car to last, we're in our 60s and are certainly NOT buying an electric vehicle like some politicos think most Americans can and will.
Very few people are just going to run down to a dealer, trade the $30,000 to $60,000, to $105,000 plus $ vehicle (they just bought) in for very little (or most likely NOTHING) as gas would no longer be available (and loose their shirt) and buy an electric vehicle. All these places (grocery stores, airport parking lots, motels, hotels, resorts, and others) installing automotive charging stations are doing it for how many electric vehicles? I realize charging stations have to be in place before the vehicles are on the road but people will be driving internal combustion powered vehicles for another 30 years, so they can be paid off and depreciate to the point those people at the lower end of the economy can afford one.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'm a Nissan/ASE Master Tech, I see CVT's dead and alive every day. The maintenance Nissan recommends (or more accurately, fails to recommend) is deplorable. They want to keep official cost of ownership low, which I understand completely, but for whatever reason they refuse to down-cost the fluid. At $24/qt, that means every trans change they recommend basically adds a car payment to the ownership cost. So their corporate choice has been to recommend nothing and replace lots of trannies. Considering what that does to the brand's reputation, I personally think that's loony, but it isn't like we techs can do anything except make suggestions, and -- as I'm doing right here -- educate customers. CVT's are wonderful, they can be perpetual motion machines, but not if you follow the maintenance book.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

dna9656 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:47 pm
Very few people are just going to run down to a dealer, trade the $30,000 to $60,000, to $105,000 plus $ vehicle (they just bought) in for very little (or most likely NOTHING) as gas would no longer be available (and loose their shirt) and buy an electric vehicle. All these places (grocery stores, airport parking lots, motels, hotels, resorts, and others) installing automotive charging stations are doing it for how many electric vehicles? I realize charging stations have to be in place before the vehicles are on the road but people will be driving internal combustion powered vehicles for another 30 years, so they can be paid off and depreciate to the point those people at the lower end of the economy can afford one.
You don't need to get me started on EV's, either. The drivetrains are ready for primetime, but the whole notion of plug-in cars will always be a few fries short of a happy meal. Wait till the first time a power failure -- or even a power company billing error -- keeps you from getting to work. How about if the government does it? Not to mention all that Chinese Bidensium and Unobtainium in the battery and motor. It isn't a raw materials problem, we could mine and refine almost all of those rare earths here. We just don't, because 10 years of approvals, 10 miles of paperwork, and hundreds of legal and agency reviews aren't conducive to opening a mine and making a profit.

Don't get me wrong, electrics will be ready for primetime eventually. That day will come when you can tank up with methane, run it through a fuel cell that cracks it into hydrogen and soot carbon, and spout water out the exhaust pipe. It won't happen one minute before that. Sorry EV folks, but you're driving a pipe dream. One that simply won't suit about 90% of the driving world.

:soap:

dna9656

Especially when the the environmental Nazis tear down the hydro-electric dams, just where do you expect the power to come from; solar cells? They produce little in the day time and nothing at night. The Environmental Nazis won't have a nuke power plant. In addition to me it's awfully hard to buy the climate change so long as if you pay money you can pollute, whether or not you pay for permission to pollute you're polluting and that's bad, to truly clean the planet up EVERYONE (Internationally) has to follow strict rules; no polluting; paid for or not. Oh BTW we need agreements with all the volcanoes on the planet so each one won't put out more carbon in ONE eruption than man has for as long as we have inhabited the planet; when we get that agreement we can start taxing carbon and trading carbon credits.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

dna9656 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:45 pm
Oh BTW we need agreements with all the volcanoes on the planet so each one won't put out more carbon in ONE eruption than man has for as long as we have inhabited the planet; when we get that agreement we can start taxing carbon and trading carbon credits.
:lolling:

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

We drove from Myrtle beach down to Asheville so the wife could see the biltmore estate. The hotel were at has 1 charging station, there’s Chevy volt plugged in with 2 teslas who I assume are waiting to use it. I’ve spoke to Tesla owners and the consensus is ,they love them as commuters but are forced to rent a dirty fossil fuels for vacations, or even worse, have one at home. My daughter drives 100 miles round trip to work as nurse. She has a 21 mpg Dodge Journey and would be the perfect candidate for an EV. Problem is at $70k, why the hell would she want one. My 21 Altima got 41mpg going from Ohio to Chicago and back and no charging station needed. All these climate activist need to check out the mining process needed for battery material and then tell me if it’s better for the environment.

Return to “Rogue Forum”