DIY: HOW TO REMOVE M45 AND M35 (Y50) INTERIOR TRIM

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
a.blanco0905
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

This thread was written to enable or enhance the user in accomplishing various tasks to include but not limited to: Trim removal, repair or modification; Access to the door panels to accomplish tasks such as removing or replacing speakers, replacing window motors, replacing windows, etc. Installing Ipod integration kits to the OEM radio and countless of things where your imagination sets the limit.

TOOLS NEEDED: Phillips screwdriver, flathead screwdriver, ratchet and 10mm deep socket.

Trim pieces on CD changer/radio, and shifter/ashtray:
NOTE: Engage parking brake and shift trans to "N" or "D" for easier removal of the CD changer/Radio trim piece.

1. Take the cup holder plastic liner out of the cup holder.
2. With both hands, firmly pull up the plastic holder to expose 4 screws holding the seat climate control knobs and the trim around the shifter/ashtray.
3. Remove the 4 screws and move the control unit out of the way.
4. Hold the chrome piece at the end of the leather boot and pull down firmly, this will expose a metal pin holding the shifter cover to the lever.
5. Slide the pin out, now you can easily remove the shifter cover up off the shifter lever.
6. Pull the shifter/ashtray trim up firmly and towards the back of the car, it’s only held by plastic tabs on the side of the shift lever and the cd changer/radio trim. This will expose 2 connectors, 1 to the ashtray and one to the shifter bezel light. Disconnect them and pull out the trim. You will expose 2 screws holding the face of the radio trim.
7. Remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the cd changer/radio trim and slowly pull it out, this will expose 1 radio connector to the buttons on the face of the trim and 1 connector to the analog clock, disconnect these 2 connectors and you’re free to remove the trim.

Trim pieces on the dash:

1. Pry the 2 small pieces of trim on the left and right of the steering wheel with a flat head screw driver (or your tool of choice), do it from the bottom of the trim pieces, they’re held by plastic tabs and once you pry enough to get ahold of the trim with your hand you can easily slide them out with your hand.
2. Open up the glove box and look inside of it towards the top. You will see 5 phillips screws, unscrew them, and you’ll be able to remove the large trim on the passenger side with minimal force with by hand.

Trim pieces on the doors (same procedure for every door):
NOTE: Have your windows lowered.

1. Inside the door OPENING handle there’s a plastic trim covering a 10mm bolt, pry it off and with a 10mm socket and ratchet unscrew it.
2. Right below the door PULLING/HOLDING handle, there’s a plastic tab with a slot for a flat head screw driver (or your tool of choice) to pry open. Once you pry it open you will expose 2 phillips screws, remove the 2 screws.
3. With both hands, firmly start pulling the trim off the door from side to side, once all the plastic screws are out of the metal part of the door, grab the door panel by the handle and pull up, this will expose 2 cables, from the lock and the opening handle.
4. Slide the cables from the lock and opening handles out of their slots (no tools required) and look inside the door panel directly behind the trim. You will see 5 screws holding the trim in place, remove them and the trim will easily come off the door by hand.

NOTE TO STEP 4: There may be some insulation looking liner hiding the screws, simply move it to the side so you can remove the screws.
Last edited by a.blanco0905 on Wed May 04, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.

a.blanco0905
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

This is my first DIY post and I hope it helps someone achieve any modification they're trying to accomplish. I did not take any pictures while doing this because I'm not that coordinated, lol, but if you need a picture for any step please feel more than welcome to ask me for it and I'll get right on it. Any constructive criticism is welcome and if need be I will edit the instructions. I set out to change my interior from the aluminum to wood and I could not be any happier with the results as the wood is much more appealing to my eyes. Finally the whole aluminum trim is available for sale, if you want the sport look and add about 15hp you have to get this kit from me, lol. :dblthumb:

P.S. Thanks to everybody who helped me or tried to help me accomplish this... Ilya, Lineup, RM450GT, Cruzad3r and Doc Antzrus!!!

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Adding to the FAQ thread/sticky.

a.blanco0905
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

IlyaKol wrote:Adding to the FAQ thread/sticky.
:dblthumb:
infiniti_lineup wrote:This is on my list to have converted to an article on NICOclub.com!

Thanks for the contribution, a.blanco0905. I'm sure that many will find this useful!
:dblthumb:

FNAWSM
Car: Diamond Graphite '06 M45

I can across this when i was searching for something else but I thought you might find it interesting. Also i think there were a few people interested in alum. trim so maybe that could be a lead for you to sell your alum. trim.

post5132578.html?hilit=guide#p5132578

a.blanco0905
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

FNAWSM wrote:I can across this when i was searching for something else but I thought you might find it interesting. Also i think there were a few people interested in alum. trim so maybe that could be a lead for you to sell your alum. trim.

post5132578.html?hilit=guide#p5132578
Thanks man, I'm waiting to be paypaled by a member of the forum already! He sounded pretty serious but it aint over til the fat lady sings.

a.blanco0905
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

Robert, I uploaded the pics u needed sorry it took me this long... Kinda swarmed lately, and actually I had to take that trim piece off cuz it was coming off and use gorilla glue to make it purdy again... cheap as$ plastic. lol...

robert_4.5_S
Car: 2006 M45 S

oooohhh Man I was close but didnt find it. I'll try to take this screw out and hopefully the whole panel will come off too. THanks for info a.blanco

a.blanco0905
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

You're welcome. Once u take it off and the 2 screws underneath the handle just pull the door panel towards you and lift up to get it off the door ledge... What're you doing if u dont mind me asking?

robert_4.5_S

Well my speaker doesnt Work so need to look at this and wanted to know how to take the trim out maybe I'll do something with it too i have Wood trim and it doesnt look bad but maybe I'll change it for aluminium or Carbon just need to get materials :)

a.blanco0905
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

Oh cool, on the "what did u do to your M today" thread forum member white wolf used black vinyl to do all his trim and it looks real good...

robert_4.5_S

Yeahh I know I got this idea of putting vinyl on my trim from white_wolf. BTW I heard that you know where I can buy Fuga tailights!! Can you share it with me!!! I have same color like yours DGM. ANd they look good. THey come smoked like yours. It matches the color of ur M. right???

a.blanco0905
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

Yeah they look pretty good on diamond graphite IMO and I posted some pictures on my thread about them... as far as a "hookup" not really, em35x found them for $724 shipped and that's the cheapest we've seen so I bought them... here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0778121120

robert_4.5_S

all right . It says only one set left. Hmmmm I really like them. $700 isnt bad but i think I'll wait a little, hopefully they will still be around. Thanks for info BTW.

a.blanco0905
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

Yeah it's tough to swing that kind of money for tail lights but they're worth it tho... they said there was 1 set left when I bought them, I told Craig that they were just trying to pressure people into buying them but when he went to check them out for me to make sure they were the smoked ones they blantantly lied to him about being the last set available... lol... I knew it.

robert_4.5_S

Funny everybody is trying to get money and it's a good option to pressure the customers. A lot of people dont see it and they buy Stuff in a hurry. Anyway, if you going to have time Please post more pictures with your tailights. I need to see pic from different angles. Thanks again man

a.blanco0905
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

Ok man, no prob... I will...

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”