DIY: Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
LochDhueDude
Car: 2011 EX35 Journey AWD

I see this thread may have gone dead, but...

Clark Howard (WSB in Atlanta) regularly cites a study that supports a 20% reduction in accident incidents when vehicles have their headlights on. I am used to vehicles that have an auto headlight system that will run the headlights no matter whether it's light or dark outside. The lights come on when you crank the vehicle, then turn off after a set interval after the vehicle is turned off. I understand that on my 2011 EX35 there are one or two sensors that determine whether the lights are on in "Auto" mode, depending on the ambient light. Does anyone know if it is possible to cover those sensors to enable the auto headlight function regardless of day or night? Are the sensors on my EX located on the left and right sides of my center windshield defroster vents? Would covering the sensors (wherever the darn things are) interfere with any other functions? Please PM me if you reply to this. Others may have some interest, but I might miss out on a reply...

Thanks!

Mike

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

LochDhueDude wrote:I see this thread may have gone dead, but...

Clark Howard (WSB in Atlanta) regularly cites a study that supports a 20% reduction in accident incidents when vehicles have their headlights on. I am used to vehicles that have an auto headlight system that will run the headlights no matter whether it's light or dark outside. The lights come on when you crank the vehicle, then turn off after a set interval after the vehicle is turned off. I understand that on my 2011 EX35 there are one or two sensors that determine whether the lights are on in "Auto" mode, depending on the ambient light. Does anyone know if it is possible to cover those sensors to enable the auto headlight function regardless of day or night? Are the sensors on my EX located on the left and right sides of my center windshield defroster vents? Would covering the sensors (wherever the darn things are) interfere with any other functions? Please PM me if you reply to this. Others may have some interest, but I might miss out on a reply...

Thanks!

Mike
Covering the ambient light sensors will cause the navigation display to load in "night modem". In the M you can just press the day/night button to switch it back. For EX specific answers see the EX forum.

M37xfan
Car: Traded in 2012 Infiniti M37x

In the M's you can leave the fog light switch on and the fogs and headlights are on when you turn on the car.

jtsull
Car: 2013 M37x

If you leave the fog light switch on, the automatic lights wont shut off in the daytime. At least that is what happens on mine.

jtsull

Debonair: Doing the same for my M37. How did you get your hands into the tight space to get the parking lights out? Drivers side seems worst.
If only the bracket over the top of them was unbolted versus spot welded. I'm missing something or do I need tiny and strong fingers.....

jtsull

Done. Now for the wiring so when the highlights are on, the DRLs are off.
I'm thinking the highlight 12V hot is a better connection for this. If the marker light is used to determine if the headlights are on then there will be no front lights other than side markers and rear lights when the light switch is in the "parking" position. Looks like a nightmare to get at that wiring....

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

jtsull wrote:Done. Now for the wiring so when the highlights are on, the DRLs are off.
I'm thinking the highlight 12V hot is a better connection for this. If the marker light is used to determine if the headlights are on then there will be no front lights other than side markers and rear lights when the light switch is in the "parking" position. Looks like a nightmare to get at that wiring....
Do you normally drive with the switch in the "Parking" position? If so yes, the headlight 12v will be better. I don't think I ever use "Parking" except for maybe when I am stationary, so no DRL is ideal.

When driving I am always in AUTO so there is always light upfront from the DRL or headlight.

The wiring is easiest to get to from the wheel well.

jtsull

Point taken, I keep it in auto as well. I was thinking about some states that have annual inspection. I know of one state where they test all function of the lights. Without the ignition on, the parking lights are only markers in the front.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”