DIY - Clutch Master Cylinder Installation

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
fastboatman29212
Car: left this forum. Sold my truck.

It's been a while since I posted a DIY, but I had to replace my clutch MC this past weekend. It died (sorta) after 212K miles. The inner piston got stuck inside the MC.

You can now find all of my 720 repairs posted on a separate website. Link = http://www.720NissanTrucks.weebly.com.

Anyway, the swap looked easy, but it gave me a little trouble. The new MC was cheap - $19 at Autozone. :biggrin:
Bleeding the air outa the lines had me frustrated, but I finally got it right. Anyway, here are some pics to help guide you through some of the process.

Remember:
1. The new MC MUST have the same bore and stroke as your old unit.
2. Your clutch line fittings are probably corroded so I suggest using a vice grip to break them loose on the first try and then using a line wrench to tighten them back up when putting things back together.
3. Brake fluid will eat paint, so don't get it on your nice paint. Wipe spills off right away.
4. Now would be a good time to bleed all the old DOT3 outa the clutch lines and replace it with fresh.
5. I am not a mechanic, so right or wrong, what you read here is just how I did it.

Last edited by fastboatman29212 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fastboatman29212
Car: left this forum. Sold my truck.

Anyone know why the pics won't load?

Never mind, I got them to load.
Last edited by fastboatman29212 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XavierBK
Car: 2011 Yamaha Stryker
1985 Nissan 720

Loading fine for me. Nice write-up.

Twinpilot001
Car: 1982 datsun 720 4 w 4

Doing same on my 82 720 truck!! Sadly -there is no Damper (with bleeder screw) on the truck!! Also of NOTE!!- the clutch slave cyl. bleeder screw is on the -"BOTTOM" of the cyl-air goes to top & gets trapped!! I had to remove the slave & put the bleeder screw to the top & bleed-to get air out!! Nexxt time ill put a pressurised brake fluid hookup @ the slave & bleed all out @ the clutch line to master!! :wtf2: =datsun??

diyautoftw

Great DIY! Thanks for documenting!

Return to “Datsun 720”