Dirt under the doors

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
mistergib
Car: 2008 Silver Nissan Rogue AWD SL

You might think about this before doing the TrimBrite thing....the onlyproblem with the Trimbrite is that its length is 12", which, if you appliedthem cut in 2" wide strips, you would have to buy 4 rolls to be able toproperly cover the affected areas on all 4 doors....that's $62 incl theshipping... On top of that, you would have to cut and piece it all the waydown each door frame, that's 3 1/2 pieces for each front door, and 2 piecesfor each rear door....how's that gonna look?

This is the reason that I went with the 3M Clear-Bra strips installed by a professional....one 2" strip per door, cut-to-length. It cost me $20 pereach front door, and $15 per each rear door...$70 total installed by aprofessional tax and all! Looks great...in fact, you can't tell that it'sthere at all.....and it only costs ya $12 more than the labor-intensive TrimBrite, and its 3M quality with a 5 year guarantee.

Food for thought....your call.
Modified by mistergib at 8:11 AM 4/11/2008

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

Thanks, A automotive product is probably the better choice and the 3M Clearbra strips would be my preference. My problem so far is that I have not found anyone localy who installs the product. I guess I'll take the short drive to the Atlanta area and find a installer.

philipa_240sx

mistergib wrote:You might think about this before doing the TrimBrite thing....the only problem with the Trimbrite is that its length is 12"
Nope, read the ad again. It's 12 feet long, not 12 inches.

mistergib

...oops, my bad....looked at it wrong....sorry 'bout that.

That does make a big difference in the cost...but not the labor....I'd still gowith the professionally installed 3M material....with the 5 year guarantee.

Alot of the window tint places also do the clear bras....check them out, ifnot, Atlanta ought to have many places to get it done.

imho...

philipa_240sx

I did the hood using a DIY kit. It turned out decent, but the issue I have is many kits only come 6" wide. I've seen professional jobs with as much as 18" on the hood.

I think once the weather warms a little (and I have money) I will remove the DIY on the hood and get it professionally done.

mistergib

I hear ya...I've been fix'n up my cars and bikes for decades...got prettygood at doing some things, not so good at others...I've learned anhard and expensive lesson....know what my artistic limits are and actaccordingly...alot of times, I've ended up getting what I paid for, purecrap! Very regrettable, so, I end up having it redone by a professional ifI haven't totally screwed things up by then....

Anymore, if I'm unsure of the job that I could do on something, then I don'tquibble about a few extra bucks here and there to have it done right thefirst time, I always end up very happy that I did it.

mistergib

ok guys...now for the test of time....clear-bra strips now applied both front and back...just got backfrom having the rear door clear-bra strips applied,so, now we'll see how well it cures our problem....

SquiggyFreud

Finally took a look at mine, if I have rust already I will go ballistic.

mistergib

SquiggyFreud wrote:Finally took a look at mine, if I have rust already I will go ballistic.
After looking at your picture, I figure by the time you read this, you willhave gone ballistic...sure looks like the start of rust to me.

You know, we ALL need to go ballistic and ensure we get satisfaction from Nissan with this problem, by everybody loging this defect with theirdealerships....otherwise, it ain't gonna happen. I registered mine a fewdays ago. Make sure that all know to log it with the service manager and not just the service assistant.....good luck!

phantom of the opera
Car: 2008 Venom Red

I think I have more damage than you guys.

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

I am not sure thats rust, looks more like some rustproofing overspray from factory. I had some on my doorsill as well.

Paul

wbloomfield
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Well, I just got back from my dealer this morning on a number of issues like the door sill problem. The dealer took photos and called Nissan Tech. service and they are aware of the problem. The dealer said that Nissan has a fix in the works. That fix also includes repainting. They said I should be hearing from them soon. If I do not, I will be calling them. Maybe in a month. I am really worried about rust. My front door sills are scraped down to bear metal at the 6 month mark..

droopy170
Car: 08 Rogue S Indigo Blue

Called Nissan Customer service at my dealers request. Nissan engineers have not called them in a week (brought mine in last thursday) . I think we all need to contact dealers and Nissan itself to get this resolved. The more this issue is brought to their attention the sooner and more likley there will be a fix. Mine is pretty bad by the way and is definatly going to require a repaint.

RogueSeeker
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD & 1997 Ford F-150

I agree. I emailed customer service regarding this on Tuesday and have not gotten a response. I hope to write an actual letter (including pictures) very soon.

sckeith
Car: 2017 Versa Note SL, Red

I took my Rogue to the dealer today and they said thay haven't heard of the problem before, they took a couple of pictures and right now I'm waiting for a response. 3700kms

MadMontie1
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD in Gotham Gray

I've had my Rogue 5 weeks, and I've already got significant scratching on my rocker panels inside the front door as well.

I had my first oil change last Saturday and brought it to the attention of the Service Writer who completely agreed with me that this is unacceptable and needs to be corrected.

He told my salesman (a good friend of mine) that the next time to Corporate Service guy visits the store (about every 2 weeks or so) that I should be called and him look my vehicle and document it.

So it looks like I'm getting somewhere quickly.

philipa_240sx

To all Rogue owners: If you have the aforementioned issue of scratching on the inside doorsill, bring it to the attention of the Service Manager at the dealership ASAP.

I have followed the advice of other members and did just that. The Service Manager at the Nissan dealership took digital photos and stated it would be brought up at the Nissan regional service manager meeting today. This was the first they hear of the problem. Nissan may well dismiss this as a one time event unless they start getting widespread reports of the issue!

I am going to start a sticky on this and reference these posts. ASAP.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Philipa,

I agree this is disappointing, and Nissan should most definately address the problem.

My question is, how do we expect them to solve the underlying causes of this? The can definately treat the symptoms and re-paint the affected areas, but the underlying cuases seem to be a design flaw that allows debri to get into the door, or a flaw with the door itself. Either way, even if Nissan agress to repaint the affected areas won't it just keep recurring indefinately, expecially considering it has been happening at such a fast rate? Are we doomed to have rusty door sills for the life of the vehicle, or do you think a solution can be engineering to correct the source of the problem?

mistergib

I caught mine before it was scratched very much....I went to my localclear-bra/window tint shop and had him put clear-bra strips on each lower door frame where the scratches appear....$70 for all four doorframes. Another thing you can do, I didn't, is put an adhesive backed weatherstripthe full length of each lower door frame on the same horizontal line of the scratches.

The cause of the scratches is that added rubber weather seal on thedoors...it rubs when under normal driving causing any trapped dirt toscratch the paint on the door frame.....so, just figure a way to insulatethe door weather seals from the paint.

droopy170

Still haven't heard from Nissan headquarters, they are supposed to call me today, and neither has my dealer. Just for fun last week I looked at having the door sills covered with a spray on bedliner, $300-$400 to do it all. Might not look to bad, and I believe it would hold up long term. Just have to get Nissan to pay .

droopy170

Just got off the phone with the regional rep. To paraphrase; Nissan realizes there is a problem with all 08 Rogues. There is however no permanent solution to the problem. There is also no temporary solution. Therefore Nissan WILL NOT DO ANYTHING TO FIX THE PROBLEM AT THIS TIME!!! Yes you read it right Nissan won't do anything to help us out. I specifcally mentioned the temp fix of the clear Bra and all the rep did was repeat his same statement. I have placed a call to dealer to see if they will do anything on there own, out of pocket so to speak, I'll have to find out. I guess my next call is to the better business line for mediation. Everyone please keep on Nissan to fix this. Nissan needs to at least pay for a temporary fix till they resolve the issue.

Ticmxman

I installed this last week. Trimbrite BodyGuard Protection Film http://www.autobarn.net/trit9020series.htmlI did have to cut it into thin strips. I now have no worries. The film is not as good a solution as the clear bra but it is a diy project. The area of concern is not visible except when the door is open so the protection film is adequate for me, while I wait on Nissan's cure.

I am very much interested in how Nissan reacts to this definite design problem and it could effect future purchase decisions. The problem is not hard to fix IMO and should be addressed by Nissan.

Make no mistake I still love my Rogue. This is a minor issue to me, particularly with the film installed.

droopy170

Might be minor to you, but mine was almost to bear metal by the time I noticed it. Why should any owner have to pay to fix a known problem?Nissan should at least reimburse or at least offer some free oil change/service for those who have spent money on this.

Droopy

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

I am in Canada and my dealer is still waiting to hear from Nissan Canada.I really dont understand why this is such a problem. All that they have to do is either put the 3m bodyguard stuff on it or use an automotive weatherstripping.If you look closely they already applied some of that clearguard on the edges of the reardoor, so why not apply it to the doorsills as well!! I put weatherstripping on my Rogue and it stopped the dirt from collecting and in addition stopped the dirt from going any further up the doorsill. If that response is correct, shame on Nissan

Paul
Modified by paulvanharte at 7:09 PM 4/22/2008

Ticmxman

droopy170 wrote:Might be minor to you, but mine was almost to bear metal by the time I noticed it. Why should any owner have to pay to fix a known problem?Nissan should at least reimburse or at least offer some free oil change/service for those who have spent money on this.

Droopy
Droopy That is why I said "I am very much interested in how Nissan reacts to this definite design problem and it could effect future purchase decisions. The problem is not hard to fix IMO and should be addressed by Nissan."

My nature is to problem solve and take preventive measures at a cost of about $10 I chose not to wait on Nissan. I consider a major issue something like a tranny or engine problem etc... Now as I said if Nissan ignores the issue then I'll keep that in mind at vehicle replacement time. Lets just call this a test of Nissan's customer service. Do they have what it takes or not. The clock is ticking...

Modified by Ticmxman at 11:11 PM 4/22/2008

RogueSeeker
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD & 1997 Ford F-150

I spoke to a service person at my dealership today. According to him no one in this area has reported this problem. Personally, I don't think enough buyers have complained yet for this issue to get any real attention. I still have not gotten a response to my initial email to customer service - which is in itself disappointing. I haven't had a chance to send in my snail mail letter. I still hope to do that soon.

mistergib

Here is some useful info posted by the head moderator on anotherforum, his post is the following:

"Just because they don't have a fix today doesn't mean that there won't be one. Think about it, the last thing they want is a bunch of vehicles rusting out so patience is the word of the day. People need to keep reporting it to the dealership, taking pictures to document the severity and progress of the defect and here's the contact info for Nissan.

Contact Information Please contact us if you have questions about Nissan, Nissan vehicles, or Nissan dealers. If you need immediate assistance, please call (800) NISSAN-1 or contact your nearest Nissan dealer.

Nissan Consumer Affairs P.O. Box 685003Franklin TN 37068-5003

(800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.,Eastern / Central Time / Pacific TimeMonday through Friday

NMAC-financed loan or lease*: Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp. (NMAC)For Retail Loan Customers: (800) 456-6622For Lease Customers: (800) 777-70187:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Central TimeMonday through Friday

End-of-Lease Questions Only: (800) 778-42118:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Central TimeMonday through Friday

NMAC Mailing Address NMACP.O. Box 660360Dallas, TX 75266 NMAC Package Delivery NMAC8900 Freeport ParkwayIrving, TX 75063(Airborne deliveries use zip code 75200)

If you'd like to comment on this site, send an e-mail to [email protected]* Non-NMAC finance questions should be addressed to your finance company.

Things don't happen over night and like I said every issue with the 04 Titan from bed liner fade to front brake issues were taken care of by Nissan."

mmyye
Car: blue rogue sl awd, leather premium and moonroof

WILL NOT DO ANYTHING TO FIX THE PROBLEM AT THIS TIME!!!

i post something here not long ago, saying nissan u.s.a. customer service sucks, and there's no one replied me.

basicly they cant do anything, just refer you to the local dealer, and local dealer usually say, they cant do anything about it or they cant find the problem that i have

droopy170

Ticmxman wrote:
Droopy That is why I said "I am very much interested in how Nissan reacts to this definite design problem and it could effect future purchase decisions. The problem is not hard to fix IMO and should be addressed by Nissan."

My nature is to problem solve and take preventive measures at a cost of about $10 I chose not to wait on Nissan. I consider a major issue something like a tranny or engine problem etc... Now as I said if Nissan ignores the issue then I'll keep that in mind at vehicle replacement time. Lets just call this a test of Nissan's customer service. Do they have what it takes or not. The clock is ticking...

Modified by Ticmxman at 11:11 PM 4/22/2008
Ticxman, I agree in the grand scheme of things i.e. safety, it is minor. The major issue is how customer service is dealing with this. According to the regional rep it is a known problem and they are working on it, but they won't do any kind of temporary fix. At least a TSB would be in order to let local dealer/service dept know about the issue. There are still people posting that service dept's don't know about this see Rogueseeker's post. Hickory NC is not all that far from me. With a TSB at least when I talked to the service dept, they could tell me, "We know about it and Nissan is working on it". Not great but I personally would have felt better about that answer than what I got from my dealer. A TSB could advise dealers to use the film on all Rogues on the lot to prevent damage, and place it on sold ones as they come in for service, a cheap and easy proactive solution on Nissan's part and a show of customer service orientation. In fact I suggested this to the regional rep, and all he did was repeat his statement. At this point Nissan's reaction is terrible IMO. Also think about how many people don't know about this problem. I would bet not every Rogue owner even knows about this forum, let alone the problem. Due to the location it is fairly easy to miss this happening. How many of us actually look down there when getting into a vehicle? I know eventually this problem will be taken care of, but it seems to me a little prevention on Nissan's part would save them time & money, as well as customer care. It seems since I bought the Rogue I get a "junk flyer" or satisfaction survey at least once a week. It is time for Nissan to live up to its claims.

Droopy

Ticmxman

Well put droopy.

Return to “Rogue Forum”