Project "Baller"

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
LEE_08
Car: Ca18det powered N13 pulsar & Ca18det powered datsun 1200 ute

how's your engine commin along?

meminto
Car: S13 Silvia CA18DECT

Still in between moving house

Getting there, should be ready early next week...

DALAZ_68
Car: 90' 240sx CA18det

info on Omori filter locator... i wants the sexy

meminto

Not much info about it, just an oil filter relocator, I had to buy dash fittings for it, but yeah pretty run of the mill lol...

As an update, the motor will be ready next week, 1st week in november...

Then I can get down to business assembling, I am sorta not looking forward to making the braided lines, but excited to watch it all come together at the same time..

I will be happy to get some space back in the new garage (just moved interstate). I was planning to have the car finished before the move but oh well..

bentvalves
Car: 89 Silvia K's

working with those braided lines isnt bad at all, I used to feel the same way about them.

Wrap the braided line in fiberglass tape where you will cut, cut using a cut off wheel/disk in a hand held grinder etc.

leave remaining tape on hose end, slip/force AN fitting over end.

meminto

Cheers for the help, yeah I have made a few already (all the brake lines) but still a pain to do

hotgemini

meminto: Self-assembled braided lines for the brakes are neither legal, nor would I consider/use/recommend them even if they were. To be legal you'll need them to be ADR approved fittings and line permanently swaged, with 'anti-whip' fittings and appropriate ADR approved tagging/labelling.

Anyone with a brakequip hose machine should be able to do it, that said imho the goodrich fittings/hose is the nicest stuff on the market and what I'd seek out if I were you.

BACARDI_DWB

first i want to say very nice build! and secondly i am wondering what you are doing to ensure proper oiling and pressure? I am currently building my CA and its in the machine shop right now getting stuff done pretty much along the lines that yours is. but i am also looking at some minor details that will keep my motor alive. I am not saying yours won't but you may want to look at these items before your $$ goes threw the side of the block.

Items to consider for oil issues

tap and thread crankshaft instead of having a welsh fitting(known to come out and loose oil pressure in crank)

oil restrictor to head(known "flooding of head" under high rpm runs with oil leaving the bottom end without oil)

expanding oil return to sump galleys(aiding in returning the oil to the sump)

Placing an external fitting on the back of the head that will help drain oil back to the oil pan(also aiding in returning the oil in the head to the sump)

CA engines are alot like the RB motors as you know, they have alot of the same strengths but also the same weaknesses. I am making sure that my build is the only one i have to do. i highly recommend (if you haven't already) research the RB's faults and improve on them as i am. if you know this already then GREAT!! you are ahead of the game i am just trying to help you so all that $$$ does not end up on the shelf of broken parts dedicated to the god of speed.

good luck and great job so far. 750hp is a hell of a feat, good luck.

http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtop...ation^^Lots of good info in there if you have not already been there, sorry if i am telling you stuff you already know, but if you are going for that big power you are going to need all the help you can get.

meminto

No worries, certification is on my list of things to do, thanks for your advice, unfortunately I had to move the car to a new address prematurely...

meminto

Hi mate, Cheers, the issues you have typed have been considered, but I always welcome feedback...

Theoretical output is 725 crank, but only theoretical (simulated calculation) so I am no way expecting that, I will be extremely happy if it comes even slightly close..

I have found the similarities between the RB and CA are limited, some concepts are close but not similar...

I am working on a CA, so I researched CA nuances (not really faults as such), I just improved some areas which required it, eg. RB gear (for the head) was the closest match, you will be surprised how parts from some other engines, non nissan included, that came very close (machinable if required) too the dimensions that I needed...

I hope your build is successful

meminto

Couple of other hiccups, my engineer wishes to assemble the bottom end and head together (has to be spot on dialling cams as there is very little room to work with because of lift requirement) so will be semi assembled when I pick it up. Hopefully end of this week now..

meminto

As an update, engine is still at my engineers, a couple of changes, I will pick it up as a long assembly due to the finite nature of the cam dial in and piston valve clearance...

Had to order a new set of head->block alignment dowels and Nissan don't have CA18DET ones anymore so I am hoping RB20 is the same (fingers x'd)

The piston crown valve recesses required machining for the new valve head diameter (1.5mm or so), the depth is fine, which is what I hoped would be the case, once its all together I will know how many degrees of adjusment either way I have for the cam gears... early indication is not much lol, but my engineer is spot on so it shouldn't need much...

Ring gaps are being finalised today to suit the gas, but I should have a picture of the assembled piston/bottom end assembly in the next couple of days, Wes will take one before assembly of the head..

I am hoping to pick the motor up in the next few days or so, but still unsure...

Rin5
Car: 1990 240sx CA18DET, 1990 240sx SE fully auto (Daily)

meminto wrote:Nah don't be envious.... it has had its share of challenges...
challenges shmallenges! this $hit is hardcore baller...i wanna know how much was invested in this all in all (not including req'd stuff like oils and fluids)

i swear if i was a girl you could throw my Victoria's Secret low rise bikini panties up on the ceiling and they will stick

meminto

Cheers for the post, love the analogy lol...

If I was to do it all over again starting from a stock ca18det, I could resource the project for just on $19000 aud give or take a few hundred bucks... not including drivetrain, nos equipment or tuning but including all the braided/alum line work....

It has cost me a little more than that due to changing hardware during the process, unfortunately no-one else has really performed the extensive modifications like this before, it has ventured into unknown territory lol..

I have had a lot of help on this project, my engineer has been absolutely 100% fantastic, highly technical mates have provided input and support from the CA fans has been phenomenal....

I am hoping to have some more pics by the end of next week...

ca18detgabby
Car: 92 s13 ca18det SOLD, 03 G35

Rin5 wrote:
i swear if i was a girl you could throw my Victoria's Secret low rise bikini panties up on the ceiling and they will stick

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Rin5 wrote: i swear if i was a girl you could throw my Victoria's Secret low rise bikini panties up on the ceiling and they will stick
What does that even mean?

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I think it was a very graphic way to say that he creamed his panties that he got from a lingerie store.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Silly guy, panties go on your head man!

Rin5
Car: 1990 240sx CA18DET, 1990 240sx SE fully auto (Daily)

HAHA yeah. but hence the "if i was a girl"

but in reality panties go on your head and bras are for slingshots....socks are ammunition

ey baller guy. what did you use for fuel line? the red and blue...just wondering

EDIT:i think i read in a different thread something about carpc...was that you? i couldnt remember...

cuz if it is...oh good god i need to know

meminto

You can call me Matt :p

Colour coded for feed and return (red = feed, blue = return) its 3/8" aluminium line, russel performance...

And yeah I have a carpc for a number of functions, data logging and maps, entertainment with 5.1 surround sound, wireless lan/internet, gps, tv, radio etc...

But it has been designed to be pulled out quickly as required... well not the pc as such but the heavier items...

Brocephus
Car: 1984 Pontiac Fiero

Matt... as in... Matt from a certain Australia-based forum that starts with NIS?

pancho y onions
Car: 1992 240sx se

Eighter i never noticed this on my 240s but I noticed you have more holes in your frame rails one is actually square. Did they come like that in Aus? or did ya drill them in there so water would drain?

meminto

Yep, I have a thread on that forum as well....

I have not really noticed the square hole you are talking about, sorry mate..

Next time im underneath I will check it out..

Brocephus

I know this was way back but after reading the whole thread, I felt like it warranted mentioning.
DALAZ_68 wrote:honestly thats how critisim should be taken...wow...that was kew
You couldn't be more correct. However, it should be noted that Hotgemini worded his criticism in a respectful manner and stuck to his criticisms of the build rather than calling Matt stupid for doing something or saying, "that looks like ricer trash" or, "that's gonna fall apart."

Respect begets respect. You get bees with honey and maggots with crap.

Stripes
Car: hatch, coupe

wow man.... wow.

Your fuel setup is completely amazing. I want to do a very similar setup once I get my other project going. It's great seeing it done taking no short cuts and installing everything necessary like your fuel filter brackets/mounts.Can't wait to see everything together

meminto

Cheers mate, yeah I am keen to finish it off, just waiting on the motor now..

Yep hotgemini certainly worded his critiscism well, mutual respect is what its about...

meminto

As a quick update, motor is complete and I will be picking it up early next week....

Should be ready for tuning in 2-3 weeks....

But I have made a parcel tray well partially, I still have a couple of fg layers to do..

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

coming together nicely

Brocephus

Exactly what is a "parcel tray" for those of us that in America that call the back storage compartment of a car "a trunk" and the engine compartment cover a "hood"?

meminto

Its the trim that sits behind the rear passenger seat between the rear windscreen that has the factory speakers sitting in it...

A 240sx doesnt have this as such (as it is a hatchback) but it would have a trim to seperate the trunk from the cabin area and I assume it would have some sort of speakers...

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”