Desperate for CA Smog help - 98 Frontier with reman engine will NOT pass smog due to high NOx

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I been following this saga for 7 weeks now.
Here's hoping for a good outcome!

Saudade

Once upon a time, I had to get a smog waiver for an old Corolla. It was a repair cost waiver that allowed me to complete my renewal without passing smog. This is a "one time" deal but you'll be able to drive it and have more time to sort it out.

You can read about it here:

https://asktheref.org/services/repair-cost-waivers/

svizh
Car: '98 Frontier SE

PalmerWMD wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:14 pm
I been following this saga for 7 weeks now.
Here's hoping for a good outcome!
Lol! My truck has been in the shop since June so you can imagine how ready I am for this saga to end and move on to more “enjoyable” work on the truck that I will do myself.
Saudade wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:34 am
Once upon a time, I had to get a smog waiver for an old Corolla. It was a repair cost waiver that allowed me to complete my renewal without passing smog. This is a "one time" deal but you'll be able to drive it and have more time to sort it out.

You can read about it here:

https://asktheref.org/services/repair-cost-waivers/
Thanks for the link, I’m going to call a referee if this TPS repair doesn’t do the trick. Hopefully the state will still shell out for the completed repairs as god knows how much this is going to cost at the end of it.

svizh

No dice on the TPS!!!

I told the mechanic I want the truck back at this point. I’ll check the injector spray myself and whatever the hell else I can come up with.

I will also take it to a mechanic I trust to get it checked out. Seems to me like there could be something wrong with the reman engine and this mechanic keeps insisting there isn’t.

Unfortunately, my saga will continue for the foreseeable future. Thank you to all who have helped and have sent warm wishes. I very much appreciate any advice and I will continue to provide updates…

svizh

Finally some good news and a final update.

Three things were ultimately the source of the smog fail:

The new PCM seems to have been necessary, although I'm still not convinced of this. However, the downstream O2 sensor is now getting the correct voltage.

The battery light came on last week and the mechanic realized that the alternator was malfunctioning, thus causing the sensors not to receive enough voltage.

Lastly, the radiator WAS clogged up with rust and k-seal, as I had told the mechanic in the first place, and multiple times since then, but he didn't listen to me. It started running hotter than usual as he was driving it to get the sensors ready for the smog test, and only then did he conclude the radiator was an issue.

So, with the new PCM and alternator, and a flushed radiator, it is now passing smog. I'm planning to replace the radiator right away as I already have one on hand. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to pay him immediately, so it will be another week or two before I am driving it. On the bright side, he is only charging me labor for the new engine, and is not charging me labor for the other parts he tried to replace.

I hope my saga can alleviates the pain and suffering of at least one person in the future..

Thank you everyone for your continued help. Hopefully I will be back on this forum with fun updates rather than headaches.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Thank you so much for updating your fellow Niconauts!
I am glad it was finally resolved and you get you enjoy a cool little truck (with LOTS of new parts!)

Should be the pinnacle of reliability now. :yesnod

Saudade

svizh wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:00 pm
Finally some good news and a final update.

<snip>

I hope my saga can alleviates the pain and suffering of at least one person in the future..

Thank you everyone for your continued help. Hopefully I will be back on this forum with fun updates rather than headaches.
OUTSTANDING!! Glad you stuck with it and with us.

You're good for two more years!

Thanks for the followup!

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”