Death Magnetic

Musicians and music-related topics are all right here in the Music Room.
Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

So, I bought the CD yesterday, the first Metallica CD I have bought on release day, and listened to it last night. If you can get past some of the lyrics, this CD absolutely destroys you in tearms of musical composition, feel and power. Who'd-a-thunk these guys, closer to 50 than most, can still put an album this intense into the fray, and do so while making it look effortless.

There are a few tracks that are bound to become fan favorites live, and I can't wait till these guys come rock out over here in Japan.

James, Lars, Kirk and Rob...GREAT FRIGGAN JOB!

Metman2J
Car: 2002 Nissan Sentra

I love the album...everything about it.

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Guess I might have to try it.

The last album they made that I thought was worth a spoon of salt was "And Justice for All". Everything before it was great, and everything after was teh suck.

I'll have to go buy it and try it.

sebazztard
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx rb25det project. 2000 Honda Accord LX DD. 1992 Nissan 300zx NA.

its an excellent cd, reminds me of master of puppets. yes. its like they woke up from a 20 year nap. they ditched bob rock (black, load reload and st anger producer) and hired rick rubin. great choice.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

I'll give it a listen....

how's it compare to Kill 'Em ALL?

sebazztard
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx rb25det project. 2000 Honda Accord LX DD. 1992 Nissan 300zx NA.

more polished but the roots are there

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Couldn't agree more. Last Metallica CD that really grabbed me was "And Justice For All"

I one of the rare few that liked a couple tracks from the Black album but it certainly wasn't the Metallica I was accustomed to. I HATED every other Metallica CD that followed and they lost me as a fan.

However, this has definitely got the old Metallica feel to it. Awesome cd with true Metallica riffs and instrumentals. Not sure about Jame's voice he changes up every so often. Not feeling it, I guess age does that.

But, nice to have them back and kik'n azz!!

xekushnr
Car: '90 240sx Hatch

The lyrics are absolute **** but the music is actually good. I dont mind it, but there is nothing that I actually crave to listen to. I played CoD4 with my buddy wasted while playing this CD, it was fun. Its much better than St Anger.

darens13
Car: '93 240sx, '90 chevy 1500, '49 dodge pickup

a heck of a lot better than st. anger! i like most of the songs on this new album, but imo i think the older stuff is the best, but they were a lot younger. metallica will live forever!

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Guess I'll DL it...

Scratch that...listened to this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ5zXXUJsyc

And decided that I was better off with my last judgement call. They suck...

Get back on the booze or quit making music. Sober Metallica aint worth a crap.

For a sec I thought...wow, good intro...smooth, then James opens his mouth and I throw up in mine. Lyrics are garbage...have been since the Black album.

Save your money, download it.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

WDRacing wrote:Guess I'll DL it...

Scratch that...listened to this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ5zXXUJsyc

And decided that I was better off with my last judgement call. They suck...

Get back on the booze or quit making music. Sober Metallica aint worth a crap.

For a sec I thought...wow, good intro...smooth, then James opens his mouth and I throw up in mine. Lyrics are garbage...have been since the Black album.

Save your money, download it.
Brutal, but I appreciate your honesty. Can't knock ya for that.

I have to agree, though, that the lyrics are a bit to be desired, but the music is really good.

WDRacing

But we're talking about Metallica...the band that can questionably be referred to as revolutionary for their time. Almost every song on every album up to and most of Black was musically and lyrically awsome. Everything after sounded like my *** after a week of nothing but beer and hotwings.

I have heard no label bands play JUST as good as these dudes. And that's without a recording studio and pro's manipulating the quality.

They need to hang it up IMO. I dunno how they are selling so many albums, it's amazing how deep the blind loyalty is.

sebazztard

i hate to be one of those guys, but listen to the rest of the cd, this wouldnt be the proper track to base the cd on. i think its a great album, and i couldnt stomach there music since the load cd.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

I seem to be one of the few that does like their music, but I also listen to music for the emotion I get out of it. I don't over anylize every little bit of the song. I mostly listen to just the music itself.

Granted, their sound from Load, Re-Load and St. Anger was totally different than the first 5 offerings, I still enjoyed the music and didn't really pay much attention to the lyrics till recently.

I heard them for the first time in 1991 when the black album was released, I had never heard of them or heard them before then (hey, I was just entering highschool and getting out of pop music). Then, two months after I first heard them, I saw them live in Tinley Park, Illinois, and they blew me away. I had only been to one other show before that...Ozzy in Cedar Rapids two days before Metallica...and I had never seen one band with that much energy on stage, and the way they had the audience in the palm of their hand. Seen them 4 more times since then, and every time it's still as fun as the first.

But, like I have said countless times, I hate that people expect bands to keep the same sound forever. Granted, it works with some bands, AC/DC pretty much sounds the same after 35 years, but I think bands should be able to try new things with their music and see what they are truely capable of doing.

Getting rid of Bob Rock was a step in the right direction, as far as I am concearned. He seems to be good for one good album per band (Dr. Feelgood, Black). Rick Ruben is a great producer, and he got much better sound out of the guys this time. I don't know if he'll stick around for a second, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did...just hope he can tap them for another good sounding album.

And, in closing...

If you think you can write better lyrics/music, then I challenge you to do so. I know first hand being a musician/composer that has tried and failed many times to get a song the way you hear it in your head. And writing lyrics isn't as easy as people seem to think, especially about something that hasn't been covered before.

If you can't, then you might realize how hard it is.

WDRacing

I don't expect anyone to stay the same, I do however expect that the quality of the first few albums be maintained.

Neal I'm a music lover right down to my soul brosef. I enjoy everything from Sinatra to Slipknot and all the various genre's in between. I appreciate GOOD music too man...more so then most IMO.

Your point about the lyrics doesn't hold water, I don't play guitar, but if you suck at it, I'll still tell you that you suck. I have tried to write songs, my ADD prevents me from finishing anything. I know they can write, because they have.

I'm simply offering an opinion of what I like and what I expect based on past performance.
sebazztard wrote:i hate to be one of those guys, but listen to the rest of the cd, this wouldnt be the proper track to base the cd on. i think its a great album, and i couldnt stomach there music since the load cd.
I listen to whatever I can DL.

sebazztard

dl the cd, metallica doesnt mind

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

in case anyone is wondering, the sound quality is actually that horrible, its not just your imagination

there was an error made in the production/sound editing work that was known about and just not fixed and the album was printed that way

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Any ideas on when a better quality album will be out, and if the record company will refund for the bad quality recordings?

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

havent heard if thats happening, since they knew about it before they started pressing cds, and still put it on there, i dont know that they will

but like if you listen to the vid brian linked to its really apparent even through youtube, the sound just sounds empty, and the volumes for each input change randomly and stuff...its just horrible

WDRacing

Pretty crappy all around...selling known imperfections to a loyal fanbase simply for profit. They need to retire...

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

upon listening to about three or 4 songs, I told my friend to throw the burn he made for me out of my car while going down the interstate.

I put Kill 'em All on my phone to listen to at work...it's glorious.

sebazztard

lol, ive done that to a few burns.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

it's ok. It doesn't induce vomiting like St Anger did. I actually got mad at that CD, maybe that was point?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Load and Reload are masterpieces compared to St. Anger. That was the first and only CD I have EVER returned to a record store. It cost some retarted amount when it was new too, because it had a DVD in there too. Something like 24 bucks. I got all of $3 back from returning it. That album also suffered from sound quality issues. When the hell did Lars trade in his drums for some trash cans and a couple of phone books? God damn they sound like ****!

I actually like load and re-load. They aren't on par with what they used to do, but those albums were still better than a lot of crap coming out at that time. I'm definitely NOT buying this new album until I hear the whole thing first and/or they fix the sound quality issue. Metallica- sue the little guy for downloading your music, but leave the record company alone that completely ****s one of your album releases. Get back on the sauce or GTFO

livinglegend2100
Car: 04' G35 coupe, 89' VG swapped Rx7, 03' Saturn Vue

meh. death magnetic is okay i guess. nothing special. and i had really low expectations after the tragedy commonly known as st anger...

BallzDeep1.9L
Car: '02 WRX Wagon: SOLD
'93 240SX Coupe: SOLD
'11 Ram: SOLD
'11 F-150: rotted into oblivion
'17 Frontier: Basic AF

well neal you started this so ill jump in, and you know how nice of a guy i am, always very laid back about my opinions

my metallica fanaticism has severly wained over the years but here goes

WAY better then St. Anger, but so is any album by John Tesh, Kenny G, or Micheal Bolton for that matter

the lyrics generally suck except for a few songs, "that was just your life" is by far my favorite song on the album, and "The End of The Line" is tolerable. however the lyrics in the rest of them give me the same feeling i get when i hear anything done by Three Days Grace, the sudden urge to hang myself from severe depression.

"The Unforgiven III" really...really... let it go.. reminds me of R Kelly in the closet, ungodly minutes of "music" that are somehow suppose to be related...

instrumentally excellent, sounds like good 'ole metallica again,

but i am going to bring up one issue about metallica that has always irked me, here goes, Neal heres you chance to burn me alive through the internet...................................

Lars Ulrich wins the award for The Most Overrated Drummer Ever. i didnt say hes bad.. far from it. but hes not the god that all the hardcore metallica fans make him out to be, i can think of quite a few drummers that are better, namely Danny Carey of Tool, Lars Ulrich could never hope to even come close to Danny Carey in a million years. Neil Peart is also one of the best, i believe when he goes on tour he brings some group of musicians who call themselves Rush for background noise w/ a lead singer that by the sound, im fairly certain is a woman

sound quality of this CD though is VERY poor, it seems to stem from all these bands wanting to have the "loudest" CD.. its not even evenly mixed in the same track.. one moment you can hear everything just fine then the next all yo ucan hear is drums and it sounds like everyone else is down a hallway.

there you have it... Neal, let the flogging begin

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

BallzDeep1.9L wrote:well neal you started this so ill jump in, and you know how nice of a guy i am, always very laid back about my opinions
That's right, Tristan, you're such a softie...lol.
BallzDeep1.9L wrote:WAY better then St. Anger, but so is any album by John Tesh, Kenny G, or Micheal Bolton for that matter
Ouch...
BallzDeep1.9L wrote:the lyrics generally suck except for a few songs, "that was just your life" is by far my favorite song on the album, and "The End of The Line" is tolerable. however the lyrics in the rest of them give me the same feeling i get when i hear anything done by Three Days Grace, the sudden urge to hang myself from severe depression.
I have to agree. Some stuff is really bad, or repetitive (Broken Beat and Scarred). I like End of the Line and My Appocolypse a lot. That Was Just Your Life is also a good tune, but not my favorite.
BallzDeep1.9L wrote:"The Unforgiven III" really...really... let it go.. reminds me of R Kelly in the closet, ungodly minutes of "music" that are somehow suppose to be related...
Couldn't agree more.
BallzDeep1.9L wrote:instrumentally excellent, sounds like good 'ole metallica again.
Yeah, I think musically, it's much more of the old style. Sound may not match, but style and fluidity is there.
BallzDeep1.9L wrote:Lars Ulrich wins the award for The Most Overrated Drummer Ever. i didnt say hes bad.. far from it. but hes not the god that all the hardcore metallica fans make him out to be. I can think of quite a few drummers that are better, namely Danny Carey of Tool. Lars Ulrich could never hope to even come close to Danny Carey in a million years. Neil Peart is also one of the best. I believe when he goes on tour he brings some group of musicians who call themselves Rush for background noise w/ a lead singer that by the sound, I'm fairly certain is a woman.
Let's break this down for a sec. I'll be the first to admit that I like Lars' drumming...but only to a certian degree. I think his more recent stuff has shied away from typical metal drumming, but then again, so has Metallica shied away from typical metal. Do I think he is a god among drummers...No, I don't. And I consider myself a fairly hardcore Metfan.

Lars was a pioneer, of sorts, when Metallica got started. But, only with his way of using off tempo beats or fills in songs, giving the music a completely different feel. Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All are prime examples of some of his best work.

What he does now is just kinda meh in my book. Although in the new CD, there are some pretty unique methods he implies in certian songs to change the flow/feel of the music.

As far as the drummers you mentiond, why not mention drummers in the same genre of music as Lars, such as Vinny Paul, Nick Menza, Dave Lombardo for that matter.

Tool and Rush?

Yes, those guys are great drummers, but not metal drummers. Creativity is not a metal drummers forte. Speed, heavy hitting, flying double bass runs, that's metal.

Take Mike Portny for example. Dream Theater isn't really metal in my book, but that dude would turn circles around Lars in the creativity department. Mike is fantastic. As is the ex-drummer of Extreme (his name escapes me)

So, if you are going to compare drummer to drummer, at least try to stay in the same category of drummers.
BallzDeep1.9L wrote:sound quality of this CD though is VERY poor, it seems to stem from all these bands wanting to have the "loudest" CD.. its not even evenly mixed in the same track.. one moment you can hear everything just fine then the next all yo ucan hear is drums and it sounds like everyone else is down a hallway.
Yeah, the final product is pretty crappy sounding overall. I hope that in the future when the initial presses of the CD are gone, the new ones will be mixed a little better. I was quite dissapointed about that after hearing it. I was certian I could make a better mix than that.

Anyway, Tristan, your views really aren't that bad. I have heard worse about St. Anger, and I kinda like that album too...lol.

Oh well, I have never been one to follow trends, so why start now.

BallzDeep1.9L

hey i havent burst into flames yet, lol and all becuase i felt like pulling back a semi dead thread.as far as the drumming, you make a good point, the drummers i brought up arent in the same genre of music, the drummers you mentioned are, and are all good drummers, many of them on par with Lars,and you are correct, lars was a pioneer of sorts, hell metallica was.. very few bands are collectively as good as they are, hell i would like to hear james hetfield get to rip into a few guitar solos for a change, while Kirk is definately one of THE BEST, hetfield's guitar ability takes a back seat to the fact that hes the lead singer, and that works for metallica so thats cool, but regardles he is also an EXCELLENT guitarist

2 others i would personally add to the list of drummers are Chris Mora formerly of Silent Civilian (Silent Civilians front man is Jonny Santos, former lead singer of Spineshank, just for reference) and also Mike Justian former drummer of Unearth, his raw speed is uncanny. lol i seem to pick a lot of people who arent in the band anymore..

and yes you are not the trendy music music guy at all, and thats cool as hell.. and becuase of that you should look up and listen to some austrian death machine, its metal dedicated soley to arnold schwarzeneggar, and its bad as hell, lol

livinglegend2100
Car: 04' G35 coupe, 89' VG swapped Rx7, 03' Saturn Vue

I nominate Jason Costa from all that remains. (ex drummer for diecast) nobody plays double kick like that man can...

BallzDeep1.9L

all that remains new album is kinda "meh" though.. they switched producers.. the one guitarist from killswitch engage, (dont remember his name) was there producer, previously.. the new album is okay.. some songs are good but it really doesnt sound like them anymore. i hope they get back to hat they used to do.

Return to “The Music Room”