CVT - What are the most miles anyone has with no trouble?

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
Lowes11
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL

I am not a fan of how the CVT drives, but I have a 2010 Rogue with 76k and no issues. I had the transmission flushed at 60K. So many vehicles have them now, just the way it is.

jmarx42
Car: 2010 Nissan Maxima SV

just passed 188k and transmission went.

Scheib
Car: 2014 Nissan Murano AWD Platinum

2009 LE with 118K and change. Discovered at my 120K mile service the CVT fluid that was used at 90K was the wrong color, so it’s correct now after being in there for about 26K. Just a word of caution, don’t let these non dealer garages that are glorified Grease Monkey goof balls change something as important as your CVT fluid like I did. It’s still fine but I’m worried about it now that I know what happened.

macgiver

mac , definately DO something about it- you mirror my thoughts on CVT's , like Factory Dealer fluid only NOT the parts store fluids which claim to be NS-1 AND NS-2 AND NS-3 ????? :rotfl

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

I personally feel that the fluid should be changed at 30K instead of 60K. The big difference in CVT will be the metal particles getting in the oil due to the drive method and also the friction additives wearing out ahead of 60K miles.

I myself think Nissan is somewhat cynical about the changes, as they put the first one right about where a severe wear issue is apt to show and then they are right there to get the trans repair work.

Look at what almost all the OEMs are doing closely, they are doing various things to trap owners into bringing the cars back to them ONLY in every way they can now. Rest assured maintenance scheduling fits in there too. Just like with standard ATX and the manufacturer not putting out any fluid change number to let people think they don't need a fluid change at all.

People fall for that one all the time. I myself never have and every standard ATX I've ever had has lasted forever doing non-routine fluid changes just like doing them on power steering systems too.

We being ultra paranoid change engine oil every 3K miles then stupidly ignore the transmissions yet they work and wear out in the exact same fashion. It's silly, and definitely part of the CVT problem, at least in MY head.

macgiver

mac , amc is righton about they "want you back" . I kind of wondered how I got such a good deal on my 2014 juke , bought in Aug 2015 (32 mi on it) , to date nothing wrong with it - but Dealers FIRST appointment for "free" oil change plus that stupid "Paint Seal" ( I can & do myself :rotfl ) is where I discovered they did NO change of oil (white wipe rag in pocket looked same after) & No goofy SEALER(my purposefull FINGERPRINTS were still all over the roof & hood !). So I suspect , at that rate, they wanted me back in the future to sell me a CVT and later COMPLETE ENGINE. G 3/29/2018

martinrrrr
Car: 2009 Murano SL w/ everything

2009 SL bought new. I have 255K and drive it every day. No problems whatsoever. I finally changed the CVT fluid around the 200K mark. I change the oil every 5000-6000 miles. I have had no engine or transmission problems at all. I have a CEL light that comes on and off every now and then. It's a P0420, cat efficiency code. From reading other posts that's either the cat or the O2 sensor on bank 1. It has passed a recent emissions test so I'm in no hurry at this point to troubleshoot.

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

There will always be the flukes that no rules apply to then people brag about not taking care of things like it's something to be proud of. I suggest the real test is to run the next ten cars like that and see how many repeat that. I'm betting not nearly all of them will.

Like this...............

'No problems whatsoever.'

I've bought or worked on cars from others who claim that and the first thing I find out is that the POs don't have a clue as to what to look for. Meanwhile, I find so many things wrong on them that I cannot count them. Maybe it's just my obsessive compulsive kicking in...........I saw thinking like that at the garage all the time, often the cars were riddled with breakage or almost breakage, they just don't know about it. Predictably, I put no value in statements like that at all. In point of fact it actually becomes a warning to stay away from that particular car to me as you will likely find things wrong all over it.
Last edited by amc49 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.

macgiver

mac, more power to him, but I don't think statistically it's even ON the "Bell curve" :lolling: Just HOW-De -DO IT? :rolleyes:

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

Like this one......

'I'm in no hurry at this point to troubleshoot.'

Sometimes a 420 code can lead to burned valves in engine if the cat posts it because of clogging not enough to really hurt power but restrict exhaust flow enough to fry the valves.

Out of sight, out of mind.............

macgiver

mac ,yeah, out of :wtf2:

mmbeckham
Car: 2007 Nissan Murano SL

Hi Everyone,
This is Mike and new to this forum. I can verify I just started having transmission problems for the first time, last week around 10 September with MY 2007 Murano after 263,000 miles. I just got a quote to have it replaced for approx $4100. I'm thinking about shopping around for a better price. Other than the recent issues with transmission, no major problems besides normal wear and tear. I kept up with routine maintenance except the changing the transmission fluid. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

Well, you are one of the few.............would have likely gone even longer with fluid changes. Still, you did good there as compared to most.

jlhrstv
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Sedan

Our 2007 Nissan Versa CVT transmission started acting up at just over 200k. Still drove fine, but was making a strange noise and vibration, kind of a pulsating drone, hard to describe. Also, slow to go in reverse when cold. Fluid was changed by the dealer at 98k miles. At 200k we noticed the level was low and the fluid was getting dark - we topped the fluid with red Castrol NS2 compliant. At 205k the noises started. We bought the car new & it was maintained by the dealer almost it's whole life. Took the car to 3 shops - they all said that the transmission needed replaced & the repair would exceed the value of the car. We traded it in for a new car.

Lessons learned:
1. The Versa likely would have made it quite a bit longer had the CVT fluid been changed at 60k intervals.
2. Do not trust Nissan dealer maintenance. - the dealer only suggested one CVT fluid change - at 98k - and the engine oil they used was crap. The CVT fluid was in need of change again over several dealer visits; however, they never again recommended it.

OriginalGweedo
Car: 2005 Nissan Murano SL

My 05 Mo has 247,500kms :-)

aaronrose
Car: 2005 Nissan Murano SE AWD

My 2005 murano has 162,000 miles on it and I just now started having issues with my cvt

Return to “Murano Forum”