CVT Oil

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
tikus
Car: Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

Has anyone check the CVT oil level, it seems the dip stick some how is locked, not like the oil level dip stick which put out easily.

REDDOG

I inquired about checking the fluid level at the dealer. There response was 'you're not supposed to touch that". Wrong answer. I bought a quart of genuine Nissan NS-2 at the dealer (for a mere $26.00 and some change) and have acquired the service instructions. I don't have them in front of me now, so I will have to repost later with the proper way of checking the level.

I realize Nissan is trying to limit transmission failures associated with people adding the wrong fluid-but I'm not sure treating consumers like they're idiots is the right answer either. I'm not taking my Rogue to the dealer to get the transmission fluid level checked. Forcing the consumer to do so is illegal.

As I said, I'll repost later with fluid check instructions.

REDDOG

tikus
Car: Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

Thanks for your reply. I like to check the oil level myself, who knows may be there is not enough oil when they send me my Rogue. I like to check all the fluid level whenever I check my engine compartment. Thanks again.

Superdave54
Car: 2008 Rogue

Checking the oil level can be done by inserting a small flat tip screwdriver into a square hole at the base of the dipstick (hole is on the top of the base). The oil level on my CVT is exactly at the top (full) mark when the car has been sitting for a while and is cold, and has never changed now for 5000 miles.

I will go ahead and have it changed at 30,000 miles, as required for the "premium maintenance".

REDDOG

Nissan recommended procedure for checking CVT oil. (Reminder: This is from the service manual, not the owners manual-Nissan apparently would prefer we not perform any service on the CVT.)

This is not verbatim from the manual, but the content is all here. I found the manual format confusing and hard to follow, had to read it through several times to get it all. Hopefully, this is better.

1. Make sure CVT fluid is at normal operating temperature (about 10 min of driving on a warm day.)

2. Park on a level surface and apply the parking brake firmly.

3. Move the gear selector through the entire range while holding foot on brake. Place transmission in P or N.

4. Pull out the CVT fluid level gauge after pressing on tab to release the lock.

5. Wipe fluid off the CVT fluid gauge (they specifically say use lint free paper, not cloth!) and insert into fill pipe, rotating 180 degrees from originally installed position. Insert firmly, all the way until CVT gauge meets the top of the fill pipe.

6. Remove CVT fluid gauge and make sure fluid level is within specified range.

7. Reinstall CVT fluid gauge in the fill pipe in original position, making sure it is securely locked.

In other words, aside from the locking dipstick, you check it like almost all the other conventional auto trannys out there.

Cool. I'm going to check mine soon.

REDDOG

92hatchattack
Car: 2008 Indigo Blue Nissan Rogue

^^^ Im assuming this is to be done while the engine is running?

BBISHOPPCM
Car: 2006 Murano S/AWD w/ Convenience Package

Greetings from the Versa board! The CVT transmission does not require service by the customer; the only way to check the condition of the fluid itself is by testing the fluid's viscosity with a specialized machine. Unless there are leaks, there is no reason to check the fluid. CVT transmissions are very simple in design, and only have a few moving parts. Supposedly, the fluid should last well over 100,000 miles. CVT fluid contains a rubber compound as a friction producing agent, and is a mild lubricant. The main purpose of the fluid is to add friction to the belt, and to provide heat dissipation. My recommendation is to have the dealer check the fluid (this machine plugs into the OBD port and gives off a reading; if the number is within a certain range, the fluid is healthy). Hope this helps!

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

BBISHOPPCM wrote:Greetings from the Versa board! The CVT transmission does not require service by the customer; the only way to check the condition of the fluid itself is by testing the fluid's viscosity with a specialized machine. Unless there are leaks, there is no reason to check the fluid. CVT transmissions are very simple in design, and only have a few moving parts. Supposedly, the fluid should last well over 100,000 miles. CVT fluid contains a rubber compound as a friction producing agent, and is a mild lubricant. The main purpose of the fluid is to add friction to the belt, and to provide heat dissipation. My recommendation is to have the dealer check the fluid (this machine plugs into the OBD port and gives off a reading; if the number is within a certain range, the fluid is healthy). Hope this helps!
Thanks! That's good information to have on our CVT.

Return to “Rogue Forum”