CVT Issues - Do we have a design problem here?

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
1125Altima3.5

kerrton wrote:So that settles it, no problem with the CVT, Nissan is confident to point where they've given all of us a 10 year warranty - if the CVT was crap they wouldn't be able to afford to do that.
Do you work for Nissan? Like I mentioned in another thread, a warranty can boost consumer confidence and avoid lost sales. That's probably why Nissan is offering the warranty. That has nothing to do with the reliability of the CVT transmission.

Maybe you're OK with having your tranny replaced under warranty a few times over the life of your car, but I'm not. In fact I wouldn't have bought a CVT Altima if I had known about the problems that people here are having.

Zerep
Car: A/C 2.5R

i think that means the opposite they feel like it could fail under certain normal conditions because if they thought it wasnt a problem they wouldnt warranty its like the xbox all of them were getting the red rings so microsoft extend the warranty 3 years

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Nissan hands me a free additional 5-year warranty for my transmission, no questions asked, and I am nice enough to basically say "thanks Nissan, I appreciate it", and somehow you interpret that as "you must work for Nissan", I don't get your logic man.

And you're wrong, warranties do have something to do with actual CVT reliability, in addition to perceptions, it's a combination of both. If there were no failures at all, there'd be no need for this warranty, and conversely if there thousands of failures Nissan wouldn't be able to afford to extend the warranty, so reality is somewhere in the middle of these two extremes.

Of course a warranty like this will have more than one effect, I agree that it is designed partially as public relations damage control, to increase consumer confidence in the CVT and thus raise their sales bottom line. But it's also a show of good faith, and it has real value. If I were to sell my car today it'd be worth more with a 10-year warranty than a 5, and it has peace of mind value for me while I own it.

Don't put words in my mouth, I never said I was ok with the CVT failing and being replaced, perhaps more than once over the life of the car. What I said was simply that a warranty is good piece of mind and value, and if something goes wrong at least it'll be fixed free of charge, and I appreciate the fact that Nissan has given this to me.

Your response to my post seems like you didn't even read what I had to say.

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

I actually didnt have any CVT issues, it was something else altogether... Ill take the warranty any day of the week!

Drift N Dragg
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX 2+2

I am on Transmission 2 and This transmission is already doing the exact same thing.

No Response, No Power, Will not down shift, Will not shift in Manual Shift Mode. At a stop takes 45 seconds to reach 25 MPH, Loud Whining Noise at 5k on freeway.. 3k on city streets. Will not Upshift on city streets..

BUT Once cooled down after ten minutes, works like a champ.

I now have a Lawyer and he has been talking to Nissan North America.

Did you know that 1 out of every 7 Altima's is experiencing my exact problem, Yet there isn't an issue...Bull Crap!

BTW - its a 2009 2.5S

alma_cpe8
Car: 2008 Black Altima Coupe

I got an 08 altima coupe 2.5 cvt bought it brand new and up until a couple of months ago it was smooth sailing and back in july me and girl took a road trip from mass-fl and i started hearing this grinding sound during accelaration usually around 2k-3k. didnt think to much of it until i came across this thread. Just got off the phone with nissan and they basically just said the exact same thing its the cvt. kinda pissed but thankful its covered under warranty!

Nancy57
Car: 2011 nissan altima 2.5S

I own a 2011 nissan altima 2.5s and have been having a problem with the cvt trans. My car has been bucking,jerking and shaking from 20-40 mph when I slow down. I have been back to my dealer 4 times:1st time they replaced a IPDM/USM module,2nd time they could not duplicate the problem and did nothing,3rd time with my same complaint they repaired the terminal for auto start which I don't understand why. The 4th time at the same dealer the service manager and mechanic took the car for a ride amd felt this issue then the service manager took a 2012 Altima for a ride. They said this car was doing the same thing as mine,I couldn't believe his answer and I told him if the 2012's are doing the same thing you are going to have a lot of problems. Then I contacted Nissan North America and they suggested I take it to another Nissan dealer which I did the other day.It took me an hour and a half to get to this dealership which is supposed to have a very good service department.The mechanic felt the problem and said it was normal for the cvt trans. I have been driving this car and the jerking is making me sick. I am going to contact Nissan North America again because I don't feel that a vehicle that I paid 28,000.00 should be doing this and it only has about 5500 miles on it. I was happy to find this site so I could post this because I feel like I am not getting anywhere with this problem. I am still going to persue this issue because most of my driving is around town and the speeds are only 25,35, and 40. This is a very frustrating problem and I hope someone helps me out.

EvilEmpireNYC
Car: 2007 Altima 2.5s

Hi All,
Found this site while searching or the cause to the rattling I was hearing on my 2007 altima. When I found this post, I became very nervous about my tranny. I had the same low speed rattling everyone's complaining about. While i felt nothing out of the ordinary as far as accelerating/decelerating, there was a very obvious rattle happening at low speeds(usually whith light preasure to the throttle).
Yesterday, I was literally about to take my car to the dealer when the rattle started happening while I was idling. I immediatly opened the hood to see what I can find. As soon as I looked down, I noticed the heat shield at the bottom of the motor was loose. Long story short, I secured the heat shield and haven't hard the rattle since. While I can't say this is the issue for people on this thread, I can say it saved me a trip to the dealer... Hope this helps!

jeddak

I have a 2013 Nissan Altima. It still has less than 6.000 miles on it, and is now on its third transmission. The current transmission has barely 1.000 miles on it, and it is now really noisy and having a hard time engaging from a stop. I fear I will be on my fourth transmission in the car before long. The dealer tells me the noise and hesitation are normal for this transmission, and does nothing until the transmission fails completely and the car has to be towed in for a new transmission. I am really scared that it will stall during a turn some time, and I will get hit by another car and it will kill someone and it may be called my fault.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

This is about when you retain a competent attorney to exercise your rights under the lemon law. :gapteeth:

Daisypad
Car: Nissan Altima 2009 2.5S 4 Cyl

I live in Puerto Rico and here it is summer year round. I bought a used 2009 Nissan Altima two years ago and it's been a nightmare with the acceleration issue once the car is driven on the highway. I only takes one hour drive on the highway and it won't accelerate. I have to stop two times or more for an hour and sometimes longer for me to be able to reach my destination. I've talked about this issue with many mechanics, and they all say they have never heard about this problem. Please help with this issue. Thanks

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”