CVT Fluid Change

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

engineer20 wrote:So the dealer will be able to tell you how much CVT life is left? Does the 2015 Rogue have a difference service interval since it's a newer generation jatco CVT? I was thinking about draining and filling it at 30k, but i guess i could go to the dealer to have them inspect it (i'd prefer DIYing oil changes, cheaper and i get better filters/oil), but how much would that inspection fee be? And does this car have a tranny drain plug that's easy to access? I plan to do my first oil change by myself soon and can't find the oil filter, it's off the side on the passenger side, right?
Yes the dealer has the Consult scan tool that tells them the life of the fluid.
Personally I would say to drain it at 30K. Could you get away with waiting till 60K? probably.
Yes it does have a transmission plug and it's easy to get to as well.
Call the dealer and ask how much they would charge to inspect the trans fluid.

engineer20
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Package

Valvoline cvt says it's for up to ns 2 but tHE ne w ones need ns3
enos is also up to ns2
but even for an ns2 on the old transmission, were these good choices or alternatives to Nissan brand cvt fluid? did they match it well or work well? anybody use these aftermarkets on their older Nissan cvt transmissions? they say you'll invalidate the warranty, but do they work or do they mess up your transmission instantly?

i'm asking because i'm sure they'll make an ns3 soon after a few years and I was wondering if I ccould use vaovline ns 3 when it comes out rather than Nissan cvt fluid which is expensive

engineer20

where is the trans drain plug? many traidinal trans shops only deal with Auto transmissions and they don't know much about cvts and a guy at a trans shop told me cvts are unserviceable and not to change the fluid
so If I didn't want to go to the dealer and do a full flush, I could do a drain and fill every 30k and i'd be fine? does it have a transmission pan or a filter or a transmission gasket, so could I drop the pan to change out the fluid, or should I just open the drain plug like on my camry and do a drain and fill? my camry has the drain plug requiring a 10mm hex, I just do tthat so I don't drop the pan and I haven't changed the filter yet, there's a crossbar blocking the pan, so it'd be really hard to take the pan out on the camry
how's pan access on the rogue, do you drop the pan and change the filter or just do a drain and fill at 30K?

ferdie1
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra

I have a nissan sentra 2007 2L. My transmission holds 9quarts. However when you drain it you only remove 6 quarts. I change every 30k. Each time the oil stinks which means it needs changing in my book. I would rather spend money on oil every 30k than spend 5k on a transmission. I actually measured the oil that I drained by pouring back into empty bottles sounds stupid but it gave me a rough idea. Make sure you have a drain plug gasket handy. I believe its same gasket for engine drain plug. I keep about 20 extras so not driving to nissan for 1 dollar gasket.

engineer20

Do these cars have a pan gasket and filter in the transmission pan? I know they have a drain plug, but has anybody tried "dropping the pan" on their Nissan CVT, or is it not worthwhile because there is no accessible transmission filter, or it's deep inside the transmission and therefore not easily serviceable? And how often should the timing chain be replaced, my vehicle is the 2015 Rogue sv awd (not select, the new Rogue). Can one "Drop the Pan?" The dealer recommends flushing the fluid, but a drain and fill would be more gentle. When should I do the first drain and fill? At 15k miles? It's an 8 quart capacity, not 10, right? So I need about 4 quarts of fluid to do this to the Rogue. Can I drop the pan, or should I just make life simple and open the drain plug?

kennjame62
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Hi Everyone,
Hoping someone can help me with this I have an 08 Rogue SL with 81000 miles. Brought it to the dealer for some work, and I insisted they check the CVT Fluid. I've read all over on this forum that the Consult III has a function "CVT Fluid Deterioratn" which provides a value of the transmission fluid life. The dealer insisted there was no such function. I asked them specifically for the value- and they tell me it's "dirty". Typical dealer. After fighting with them for a day, the service manager told me there was a value of "80" which means nothing. And they are Nissan Certified Techs! :wtf2:

So- does the Consult III provide a value based on a module in the transmission? If so, what does this "80" mean? I read somewhere about "21000"?

I also don't know if the fluid was ever changed- I bought it at 71k- but the fluid is still a golden amber and not "dark" and has several service records. Nissan Service says 90k? They also wanted $350 to replace 1 rotor, and 2 pads- which I'll do myself for $100.

Thanks Everyone! And if you can provide the info from Nissan so I can "show" them, that would be great too!
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

kots1
Car: Nissan Rogue

If you can replace your own brakes, you can change the CVT fluid on your own. It's a relatively easy job. It will also give you peace of mind and better for the life of your your CVT tranny. I also have an 08 Rogue and didn't change until 60k+ miles when I started having the CVT limp-mode problem. I know that Nissan said that it's good for 100k miles but with all the CVT problems reported, I would start to change it sooner at 30k intervals. Valvoline CVT (from Amazon) works for our Nissan CVT without issues and is a lot cheaper than the OEM Nissan NS-2. It's a no-brainer, just change it since you don't know the service history of this car. It's a small price to pay vs. having CVT issues down the road.

kots1

Also, for the color, you can't rely on a small sample from the dipstick. Mine also showed bright color from the CVT dipstick but when drained, it was more like dark used brake fluid color.

engineer20

where is the drain plug? i've asked this countless times. Last weekened, I went under the car, and opened up 2 candidates. One was black and 19mm, the other was silver and 14mm, nearby, are those both cvt, or is the cvt, the differential fluid? both were greenish in color and seemed thin in viscocity, so maybe both were the cvt, the black 19mm was the pan, and then 14mm was the trans case? You can open both up when doing it? Or was one the differential? If not, where is the difrerential fulid? for a 2015 rogue? Thanks. any pictures? I don't want to open up the wrong drain plug! And the dipstick is tricky. You dump the fluid in thru the dipstick, right? The dealer wants to flush the fluid, but flushing isn't good for a trans, and a 1st drain and fill at 30k, and every 30k after is much better/safer, right? Does this have a transmission filter, as in can you drop the pan and change the filter like on an automatic transmission, or does it not have a filter, and does it take E power steering fluid or regular, as when I asked the dealer, they weren't sure either!

kots1

You can do this by yourself and extract the CVT fluid from the dipstick. I have described the procedure here: topic601356.html

engineer20

are you allowed to do DIY repairs on leased vehicles or DIY oil changes or no? If not, do you have to go to the dealer for all services, can you go to an indy mechanic shop?

DoubleMax
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima

Hey Hugo L.
How did your Rogue make out after that Trans Fluid Change?
I ask because my 08 Altima is at 180,000 miles and never been changed (Don't ask how)
And I was going to change it, but this is something that killed an Accord transmission years ago, not a CVT (that time it was not my fault), about a month after change the Trans gave out.
I don't want to repeat this mistake. I hear advice like "leave it alone", "The particles are part of the system now" and things like this.
I was wondering if your rogue had lived another year?

Agent Black
Car: Nissian Rouge 2012

Hi Guy's, just wanted to ask a few question about changing the transmission oil.

My mothers nissian rouge has about 47k miles and last weekend the dealer suggested changing the transmission oil (even though the manual says the car is good for 60k miles :gotme ), so just to be on the safe side I decided I'll change it anyway. I plan on doing it myself within a few weeks and I just wanted to make sure I have everything I needed. Here are the questions I have:

1) How many quarts of oil would I need?

I did a search on the forum and this thread popped up: hxxp://forums.nicoclub.com/cvt-fluid-change-t468197.html and on the second post the guy says CVT transmission need:
Finally, the CVT transmission requires approx 7.5l (7.9qt) for FWD and 8.6l (9.1qt) for AWD models.
I just want to make sure that this is correct for my particular year of Nissian Rouge (this thread is pretty old).

2) Do I need to change my drain pan plug and gasket? If so is this also the correct one for my vehicle?
CVT drain pan plug gasket #11026-01M02
3) Is there any filter that needs to be changed? I've read somewhere that these Nissan's don't use transmission filters but use screens instead? If so, can I get away with just changing the transmission oil or do I have to change the screen as well?

Thanks for the help!
-Sorry for the newb questions.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

Buy 10 quarts, if you do a complete flush you'll need most of 9 and have 1 to spare. No filter to change. The crush washer is copper I'm not sure of the part number I bought mine off amazon, a 10 pack I think for $6 ? Maybe?

Agent Black

Great, thanks for the clarification and fast response Jarhead! Much appreciated!

Edit: Just to clarify, I was incorrect in titleing this thread. It's not a flush that i'm doing but an actual change that i'm doing, will the 10 quarts still be recommended?

Rogue Jarhead

Change should include changing all the fluid. I think of it as a flush so same thing I suppose. There are some who just drain the pan by removing the drain plug. If that's all you do you'll only need about 5-6 quarts.

On this forum there is a write up on how to remove all the fluid that involves disconnecting one of the transmission lines. I tried your link above and on my device it's a dead link. I was going to check if that was the drain procedure you were talking about.

Agent Black

Ahh thanks for the clarification, the the link above you have to replace: hxxp to http.

I had to do that because new accounts cannot post links for some reason. Here is the link again:

forums.nicoclub.com/cvt-fluid-change-t468197.html

Rogue Jarhead

When you first log on to the Rogue Forum there is a shaded blue area at the top of the page with a maintenance DIY link.

08-13-rogue-diy-repairs-maintenance-faq ... 07234.html

CVT oil change is a 3 section link in the 2 nd part.

Agent Black

Thanks for the link, found that really helpful!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Agent Black wrote:Hi Guy's, just wanted to ask a few question about changing the transmission oil...

I did a search on the forum and this thread popped up: hxxp://forums.nicoclub.com/cvt-fluid-change-t468197.html and on the second post the guy says CVT transmission need:
Finally, the CVT transmission requires approx 7.5l (7.9qt) for FWD and 8.6l (9.1qt) for AWD models.
I just want to make sure that this is correct for my particular year of Nissian Rouge (this thread is pretty old)...

Thanks for the help!
-Sorry for the newb questions.
The age of the thread is not relevant as the info applies to all first gen model Rogues, regardless of model year. Merged with existing thread.

ras_oscar

soooo; Everybody is stressing about CVT maintenance, I'd like to share my experience to present

1. Bought 2012 Rogue AWD, 0.00 miles on it.
2. 50K miles, it started whining. went to the dealership and had the trans fluid replaced. Consult rated the fluid life at 1200. I believe the replace spec said replace if below 250,000
3. 100K miles started whining again. Again trans fluid change quieted it.
4. 125K miles, serious whining slipping and approaching limp home mode. Suddenly, no warning. Took it to the dealership, replaced the transmission and passenger side drive axle ( torn boot, clicking)

Conclusion: based on my personal experience, and a desire to put more than 200K miles on ALL of my vehicles, and based on my driving habits, I plan to replace the CVT fluid in the future at 50K miles.

getoffmyinternet

Greetings,

This thread has been helpful in terms of what to do regarding changing the fluid with OEM stuff if the test calls for it, however...

Type and how much are in question - 2015 Rogue FWD. The service bulletin and owners manual say NS-2. Section MA-27 says how to do it but to refer to section TM-226 for quantity. TM-226 says refer to MA-11 for fluid and quantity (of course). MA-11 says 8-3/8qt NS-3. Why NS-3 now?

Also, when I was at the dealer for a free oil change - they said it only takes 5qts according to their manual. They also tried to sell it to me at $25 each (as well as a new cabin filter, engine filter, brake fluid, and alignment but I digress). On top of that, when I asked about them testing it by hooking up to the CVT with their laptop they had no idea what I was talking about and said they don't do that - shotgun mx only I suppose. They had just hooked up to update the software due to a recall too, maybe they're just trying to be difficult. I didn't want to pay them $250 to change the fluid if it only costs $75, especially if it may not need it.

So is it 5qts or 8? NS-2 or NS-3? The former should be easy enough to figure out, but since I might have to buy it online I'd like to know for sure in advance. The latter could be a matter of NS-3 superseding NS-2 and the manuals just haven't been updated yet?

Either way, I still want to find a dealer that will do the test as prescribed in the manual so I'm not changing perfectly good fluid, I'm at 36k miles.

Dave

Edit: When I call the dealer, what do I ask for in terms of CVT test to see if the fluid needs to be changed? I've spoken to two dealers so far and they have no idea what I'm talking about - I want to make sure it's just because the guys that answer the phones are idiots and the actual mechanics know what to do. If there's a simple standard name for the procedure then I can just tell them that. Is it just running CONSULT self diagnostic software?

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi Getofmylawn (just kidding!) Getofmyinternet, weclome to NICO Club!

I read your post. I read the factory service manual (FSM).

1 - you can buy all the CVT fluid you want, but you won't have the tools needed to change it yourself. You need a dealership to do it. I say this in general, you may be a special case.
2 - What service bulletin are you referring to for your fluid type changing? While this may be interesting, it's a null point in that the dealership will be responsible for selecting the proper fluid based upon your VIN. According to the FSM, which I hold in high regard, it is NS-3.
3 - What test are you asking about? I understand you don't know what it's called so maybe describe it. There is a fluid level adjustment described after the fluid change instructions, but that's not what I think you mean. I do see the interval for CVT fluid change is 100k miles or 60K miles when towing or driving in hard conditions... now, right there it does mention for the 60K (when towing) to request a dealership "Inspect CVT Fluid Deterioration" or to just go ahead and do a fluid change without the inspection. I looked further and didn't find instruction for such an inspection. But I only looked for about 5 minutes, it could be in there somewhere. I don't have the manual, just the FSM.

engineer20

How do you drain and fill coolant on a 2015 rogue? I can't find the coolant drain plug, and do I have to remove the front plastic shield, or no?

engineer20

an oil analysis told me my rogue had NS-2 in it but NS-3 was added into it and the dealer said to use NS-3. How do I know which one is right? It's a 2015, but it was one of the few that was made in Korea. They claim it has the newer CVT, so is it NS2 or NS3? If I do drain and fills, do I have to do multiple drain and fills over a period of time, or no ?

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

engineer20 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:43 am
an oil analysis told me my rogue had NS-2 in it but NS-3 was added into it and the dealer said to use NS-3. How do I know which one is right? It's a 2015, but it was one of the few that was made in Korea. They claim it has the newer CVT, so is it NS2 or NS3? If I do drain and fills, do I have to do multiple drain and fills over a period of time, or no ?
Check the owners manual or factory service manual!
engineer20 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:41 am
How do you drain and fill coolant on a 2015 rogue? I can't find the coolant drain plug, and do I have to remove the front plastic shield, or no?
I am sure (not 100% sure) you don't need to remove the front plastic shield to drain the coolant.

GarrettH93
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV

New to the forum, yes I searched around for this info and haven't really found what I'm looking for, for my model year. Everything I've found is for the 08-13 models. Example of posts I read through here
CVT Fluid Change
CVT Transmission Fuid Change DIY Write-Up
30K Maintenance
High Milage question: How many miles on your Rogue and what maintenance have you had performed?

On that note, I cannot find a write up on how to change the CVT fluid on the newer years, so has anyone on here done so yet? I want to get it changed, it only has 27k miles on it however I like having piece of mind. If it's a PITA to do I'll probably just have the dealer do it... I would rather not however.

I read somewhere these don't have dipsticks to check the level? So how are you supposed to check it?
Do I use NS-2 or NS-3, and how many quarts should I get?
Are you supposed to leave the car running the entire time while draining and filling?
Can I fill it through the dipstick tube like on most other vehicles with auto transmissions?
I have to remove the overflow plug on the convertor housing as well, does anyone have a decent picture of where this is, and one for the trans drain bolt?

It would be great to have a better walk through on this. I've perfomed harder tasks, but the service manual is just confusing me for some reason..

Thanks,
Garrett

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

GarrettH93 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:56 am
New to the forum, yes I searched around for this info and haven't really found what I'm looking for, for my model year. Everything I've found is for the 08-13 models. Example of posts I read through here
CVT Fluid Change
CVT Transmission Fuid Change DIY Write-Up
30K Maintenance
High Milage question: How many miles on your Rogue and what maintenance have you had performed?

On that note, I cannot find a write up on how to change the CVT fluid on the newer years, so has anyone on here done so yet? I want to get it changed, it only has 27k miles on it however I like having piece of mind. If it's a PITA to do I'll probably just have the dealer do it... I would rather not however.

I read somewhere these don't have dipsticks to check the level? So how are you supposed to check it?
Do I use NS-2 or NS-3, and how many quarts should I get?
Are you supposed to leave the car running the entire time while draining and filling?
Can I fill it through the dipstick tube like on most other vehicles with auto transmissions?
I have to remove the overflow plug on the convertor housing as well, does anyone have a decent picture of where this is, and one for the trans drain bolt?

It would be great to have a better walk through on this. I've perfomed harder tasks, but the service manual is just confusing me for some reason..

Thanks,
Garrett
Well Garrett the topic 'CVT Fluid Change' does contain info on your 2nd gen model, so I've merged your post. And you're right, your Rogue doesn't have a dipstick to check the fluid level. As centralcoaster33 pointed out, this essentially isn't a DIY job.

chunt5
Car: 2018 Rogue SV

It can be a DIY project. Here is the offical method:
http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual? ... 20Rogue/tm (page 189)
The above procedure is for a 2015 but all gen 2's are the same.
You can do it yourself at home, I have. What you need is a way to check the CVT fluid temperature and be able to lift the SUV so it is level. I have an app on my phone to check the temperature (CVTz50) which I down loaded from the Play Store for about $5. You also need an ELM327 version 1.5 adapter. VERSION 2.0 AND HIGHER WILL NOT WORK. I used 4 jack stands to keep the SUV level after I raised it with my floor jack. The fake dip stick tube can be used to add fluid. It is hard to remove the dip stick tube cap but it can be done (it is plastic after all). One word of caution, NEVER REMOVE THE FLUID CHECK PLUG WITH ENGINE "NOT" RUNNING.

mmahmad
Car: Nissan Rogue 2015 SV
Nissan Sentra 2006 S

Hi,

I tried to search a lot on this forum but can not find any specific thread regarding this 2015 Rogue SV FWD. Mostly people are sharing their experience with Pre 2014 Models.

Can any one share their experience how it went. I can find a black 19 mm bolt on Driver Side which looks like CVT drain bolt. Is this the right now to open and drain out fluid or We need to loose the other silver 14 mm ( almost in the middle at front) also needed to remove to drain out ?

Hope to get some expert opinion on this. Mine is almost 80K driven and doubted if the old owner has drained out the fluid or not. Nissan Manual recommends to drain it out after 60K miles.

Thank you and looking forward to get a response.

Return to “Rogue Forum”