CVT cooler inlet hose detached while driving

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
Klikerko
Car: 2006 Nissan Murano

Hi team, I have 2006 Murano a few questions for you.

Today I got a call from my wife who said she's stuck in the traffic, at the light, with a car engine running but car not moving, and a big puddle of oil underneath the car. The car didn't give any warnings, no noise or vibrations, everything was working fine until that moment. Even after the event, the check engine didn't come on.

After the car was towed home I've found that metal hose attachment that CVT cooler inlet hose attaches to popped out and leaked out most of the fluid (see images below). Upon more careful inspection it looks like there was some gunk around the bolt. I'm unsure if this is just calcium deposit from the time this attachment was lose, or if someone tried to fix it by applying some kind of glue. I'm saying this because it looks like the threads on the bolt, and in the cooler might be stripped. I'll double check that tomorrow, but if you take a look at the photos below, threads don't look really healthy.

My questions are:
- What would be convenient way to fix this without replacing the cooler assembly?
- Could this problem happen because the cooler is clogged and pressure popped the connector out, or it's just age?
- If threads in the cooler are stripped how would I fix them? Helicoil?

I'll visit today local Nissan dealership to get the new metal hose attachment.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xpUhjIeReDT7jyAS2

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

That will likely be a cooler or radiator replace scenario there unless OP is one of the better people at working out how to repair the hole. Cooler or rad fittings like that generally do not respond to typical helicoil type fixes, the material too thin or will not leak seal.

One could always add-on a separate oil cooler like ATX commonly use on towing packages.

Klikerko
Car: 2006 Nissan Murano

You're correct. I visited local dealership yesterday and the person at parts department printed out the schematic (see attachment). Unfortunately, it's not possible to buy only that small coupling attachment. My only option was either to try to repair it, or buy a new radiator. Even the guy at the parts counter suggested I should go with aftermarket radiator since genuine is way too expensive to invest in this car.

So, I ordered DENSO radiator from Rock Auto for $137 including 2-3 day shipping. This is the best solution since I'll get the new radiator and I don't have to waste time trying to fix broken coupling just to risk having it detach again in the middle of the road. Looked on YouTube and the radiator replacement doesn't look like a difficult job. I just hope it will arrive before this weekend.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RjBS3jTKAosRWnNA2

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Luck............

Return to “Murano Forum”