custom rb25/20 coil covers!!!

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
bmxarmy
Car: 1961 rambler

After a few people mentioned the custom coil cover i made for my rb project I have decided to make a couple kinds and see if there is any interest. Link to my build is below.

rbambler-build-thread-t523749.html

Anyways I just made a new one I like it a lot more than my first one, so I'm thinking I will keep the second one for the rbambler. Below is some pics of the 2 I made, If anyone is interested in having one of there own, please reply to the thread and I will move forward with production. Please note building cars is my hobby and not my job so there may be some times were i cant just run out there and make pieces but i am able to do things like this and enjoy it. I like a quality piece and always enjoy picking up a piece and marveling at the craftsmanship involved and i strive to make all my bits this way. I am not certain on a price and it could vary as i am able to make these out of pretty much any alloy. The ones pictured are steel but stainless, aluminum, brass etc are all possible. Like i posted in my build thread I am open to any suggestions and would love some feedback, so if anyone wants something one off let me know and I can tell you if its possible or not. Anyway on with pics.

the first one i made

This is the one I made today, the dimple`s are centered over the coils.

Also can someone confirm that the front of the cover will fit against the stock cam gear cover. Mine is removed so I just measured off the stock coil cover, it should be fine but just to check.

A comparison shot

And lastly a weight comparison
stock
first one made out of 16 gauge steel
second one made from 20 gauge steel

That is it for now, I have 3 more blanks cut so give me some suggestions and i will make some more prototypes.

driftkid83
Car: 1990 240sx fastback RB20DET

As long as it fit my 20 I'd be interested.

bmxarmy

to my knowledge it will fit

sci2000tech
Car: s13.5 RB20DET 'Vert

Very nice :dblthumb:

I would be interested depending on the price.

Also, be sure to contact Greg (Azhitman) or another moderator before selling em on here ;)

Edit: Also curious how much more it would cost to make one out of titanium? I know it's not cheap, but damn it'd be sexy!

bmxarmy

titanium would be dead sexy, And i don't see why i cant make it out of it as long as i can source some locally, or at least fairly easily. I am assuming a moderator will see this thread, if so can you contact me? I don't really know the procedure for something like this.

240sxwanted
Car: 03' 350z track edition, 97' rb25 s14

i like the one with the holes in the middle. pm me around how much

StricNyne

omg i am in love, i want the louvers too !!!

bmxarmy

quick update i went outside and made a different prototype. Attached is some pics of the new one.

mixeds14
Car: 240

the last one looks good, hell all of them do...

i might be a bit corny when i say this but i actually love the way the rb26 looks, the one that says SKYLINE , if u some how incorporate that in there that would be awesome, or something like that.

i have a 25 n my engine has a cover that says neo 6 if i could get rid of that cover n replace it for one like urs,that said skyline neo 6 that would be bad a**. i would def buy one then but thats just what i want.. i think the 25s look plain with just a black coil cover..glad someone is trying to change that..

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

bmxarmy,
I'm interested in what you can do with louvers, but I am impressed with everything that you have produced thus far and would be more than elated with any.
Another option, holes for the 'spark tower' and transistor at the rear - for those of us who have not upgraded from factory coils.

(Side note; with the backing plate for the timing cover installed, the coil-pack cover should end flush with the rocker covers, I believe. Not extend past. I will verify this tonight though. )

Also, you may want to PM or email AZHitman (Greg / [email protected]), just to clear this with him.

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

mixedS14,
Your talking about milling a cover. That is a different story. Enable your PMs.

StricNyne

titanium with louvers.... is teh sechs, but seriously i am looking foward to this and am def inline to score one of these bad boys

bmxarmy

Would a louver like this be ok?

I just made a quick die and stamp and tried it out. It looks pretty good, they are 3" long and about 1/2" tall

StricNyne

OHH YES!!! i was looking at prices of titanium lol kinda pricy i would still go with it though

robbie2883
Car: 1998 RB25 Kouki

yeah...that louver looks great...i would have them recessed so the top of the cover is flush. what kind of pricing are you thinking?

bmxarmy

Robbie - I could do it the other way, i think it would look kinda funny but hey if thats what you want i can do it, I would just have to drill the holes opposite and bend the ends the other way.

StricN - Wait till you see the next post.......louvered cover is complete!! just uploading pics.

bmxarmy

Well I got another prototype finished up... Any feedback? Which one is liked the most, or any other ideas? I am running out of ideas and will start to make more of the most liked ones.

I am thinking around 70 bucks for the plain ones and 75 for the dimpled and step rolled ones. Louvers will have to be more as it takes way longer to lay them all out and punch them. These would be in 20 gauge steel. The price would be more for other metals, If anyone really wants one out of something else like aluminum, brass, stainless, or titanium I would have to source the material locally and report back with a price. P.S I pm'd the moderator and havent heard anything back yet, I hope this is OK.

StricNyne

i am down for louvers, but the twin slots one is badass too, as far as material i would take unpainted silver, or titanium pending price and your supplying the bolts correct ?

bmxarmy

Yes I will supply new stainless bolts. Unpainted silver? Just so no one is misled these are unpainted 20 gauge cold rolled steel. Like i said though other materials are definitely an option. I did make one more cover and will post soon. Also I took a picture of the louvered one upside down so you could get an idea of how that would look.

bmxarmy

Here is the last one I am going to make until someone has an idea they want me to make. Not sure how all this would work so if someone has done a groupish kind of buy before pm and help me out please. Its kinda hard cause they arn't all the same and I would make whatever each person wanted so.....

Here is the newest one

Obviously a combination of anything i have done so far is also possible. So lets here some idea's.

240sxwanted

i want one with the dimples in the middle

Zacho2
Car: RB25 Nissan Laurel

Great job, I really like the twin slot one. Is it possible to have mounting points for the ignitor? I would want one of those.

I like what you have done here. Great work and you have pumped out some good examples real quick. I'm sure lots of people would want these.

kouki-gymkhana
Car: 1993 240sx (only 90,000 mi!)

Sign me up for (1) of the dimpled covers and also (1) of the twin slot covers. I don't mind if it's made of steel or aluminum as I will most likely paint or powdercoat it. Titanium would be awesome as it would match my ARC cooling panel but realistically it might look odd next to my powdercoated valve covers. Either way, THANKS SO MUCH for a making what appears to be an awesome, well-made product at a (preliminarily) reasonable price!

bmxarmy

I can weld on some posts for the ignitor or drill holes through and provide spacers to hold it off or something. I would need an ignitor though as I don't have one and its nice to have one to ensure a proper fit.

kouki-gymkhana - I have steel on hand so if that is ok I could make them up right away.

bmxarmy

Ok I lied I made one more tonight.

Anyone else interested?

240sxwanted

they keep getting better and better man.

mixeds14
Car: 240

l0nestar wrote:mixedS14,
Your talking about milling a cover. That is a different story. Enable your PMs.
done..

op. they keep looking better n be honest i like a few, now ur confusing me on which one i like the best. :chuckle:

d356bud
Car: 1990 240sx w/ RB25DET

Nice work, I'd be interested in one of these if the price is right.

ItzGenX
Car: Smoke Purple 95' S14.5. Powered by the "Iron Man".

If you are confused with which ones you would want, just imagine mixing them up. Remember BMX said he can mix whatever you see here however you would want. So instead of just chocolate ice cream, you can mix it with vanilla too O_o. :inout:

bmxarmy

Update!!! Wow can you say production time. I got carried away and cut up all my scrap pieces, I made one more trial piece check it out, and a shot of all the ones I have made so far.

Last edited by bmxarmy on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”