Cube's squeaking brakes.

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
OctoberKillz
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube 1.8S

Is anyone else having this problem with their Cube's brakes squeaking? I know its a new car, but I'm still a little worried when I hear it, especially since it's been happening for a little over a week now. I read somewhere that new cars shouldn't have this problem, and if they do, it's only because the brakes are wet, but the other day my brakes squeaked quite bad, and it was completely dry out. I only seem to have this problem when coming to a complete stop or going down a hill. If it continues, I'm bringing it in..

ewraven
Car: 2009 Superblack Cube KROM

I'm now at 9200 miles on my Cube. I've noticed some squeaking as well.

I haven't kept good track of it, but I'd guess I've heard the brakes squeak very loudly during six different "stops". Half the times it was completely dry, not even humid, the other times it was humid outdoors. I've had my windows down every time and I am fairly certain that it is coming from the front disc brakes.

The first time it did it, It had around 2000 miles on it. So it is few and far between when it does it.

I've been having the dealer doing my oil changes for this vehicle. When I take it next in a few weeks, I'm going to get them to rotate the tires, I'll ask them to take a peak at the brakes to see if they see any problems.

I'm not expecting them to find anything though to be honest. Unfortunately, with these intermittent problems, they will say that they can't reproduce the sound. It'll take an actual failure of a part or a TSB/Recall for them to fix it.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Ours just started squeaking BADLY. 6K miles.

Will take it to dealer and see what they say.

OctoberKillz

Yeah, I just hit 5K this weekend. For now I haven't heard it, but if it keeps up I'm doing the same. Let us know how it goes.

Rubik
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube

I have 2600 Mi on mine, and they SQUEAL every time I come to a stop. At first I thought it was the front discs as well. But spend some time really listening. Mine are actually coming from the drums in the back. The tech said it was due to the buildup of brake dust inside of the drum. He said it should not do this, and expressed some concern. I think when I go up for my free oil change, I'm gonna mention it to the dealer.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Update:

Dealer replaced rear pads under warranty and cleaned / checked front pads and calipers.

TBrack
Car: none

no abnormalities here at 6k miles

phatjoe88
Car: 09 Cube SL

10,000 miles and no squeaks for me

meisrandy
Car: CUBE 1.8

i have about 2k miles i had this same problem its the rear breaks i took it to the dealer they changed it out no cost at all. they said it was wet and that was all no big deal just take it to the dealer

JunseiMotors
Car: 2010 Nissan Titan LE
2004 Acura RSX Type S - Supercharged
1986 Toyota AE86 GTS (hatch)

For those of you who have squeaky brakes, NNA (Nissan North America) just released a TSB for "Noise from Rear Brakes" for Nissan Cubes. I had several Cubes come in with squeaky rear brakes. After the 3rd one I started replacing the rear shoes. Now about less then a month ago, NNA released an "UPDATED" rear shoe for the Cube. Problem Solved. Ill get the TSB number when im at work tomorrow. Just dont go all ballistic at your dealership with the service advisor and say "YOU HAVE TO REPLACE MY REAR SHOES AND THIS SAYS SO" because thats just plain rude. Hope this helps everyone.

ewraven
Car: 2009 Superblack Cube KROM

That's awesome. Thanks for the update about the TSB. I'll definitely mention this to my service advisor next time I have my Cube in for an oil change.

I've got 16700 miles on my Cube now. The brakes still squeak intermittently.

CubeRidin
Car: Nissan Cube 2009

NissanTech50902 wrote:For those of you who have squeaky brakes, NNA (Nissan North America) just released a TSB for "Noise from Rear Brakes" for Nissan Cubes. I had several Cubes come in with squeaky rear brakes. After the 3rd one I started replacing the rear shoes. Now about less then a month ago, NNA released an "UPDATED" rear shoe for the Cube. Problem Solved. Ill get the TSB number when im at work tomorrow. Just dont go all ballistic at your dealership with the service advisor and say "YOU HAVE TO REPLACE MY REAR SHOES AND THIS SAYS SO" because thats just plain rude. Hope this helps everyone.
Great to see this post from you, thanks! Got my Cube less than 8 months ago, have 15,000 miles on it (I drive a lot as I'm a home health nurse) and it's been squeaking like described by all here since week one. Love the car otherwise but really bummed about this squeaking issue.

Taking mine in tomorrow and hope you're right because it sounds like problem would be solved!

Please do provide that TSB number when you get a chance Thanks again!

D3stro

Good to know about this TSB. I'll have a eye (ear maybe) on that potentiel problem.

OctoberKillz

Wow, thanks for the update about the problem. I was just talking about that today because when I was driving, the squeaking was SO bad it was hurting my ears and very annoying. I actually go in a few weeks to get my recall parts replaced, so I'll mention something to the dealership and maybe then can fix it.

CubeRidin

Hey NissanTech, any word on that TSB number?

I just dropped mine off at the dealership this morning and they said they were "replacing the back brakes". Just wanted the TSB to be double sure they are nipping the right problem in the bud.

Thanks for any info!
CubeRidin wrote:
Great to see this post from you, thanks! Got my Cube less than 8 months ago, have 15,000 miles on it (I drive a lot as I'm a home health nurse) and it's been squeaking like described by all here since week one. Love the car otherwise but really bummed about this squeaking issue.

Taking mine in tomorrow and hope you're right because it sounds like problem would be solved!

Please do provide that TSB number when you get a chance Thanks again!

CubeRidin

Just an update for anyone else who may check here regarding the same issue -

I took my Cube to Nissan and they confirmed there was a recall for the rear brakes (brake shoe to be more specific)

I left it there for a day and they paid for my rental. Just got the car back and the problem is COMPLETELY RESOLVED!!! It's like it's brand new again!!

NO SQUEAKING, SCREECHING, WHISTLING at all!

It's f'ing amazing.

Thanks to the guy who said there was a TSB! Even though you never returned to update us, that was enough info for me to take to Nissan and end up getting my car fixed.

Good luck to the rest of you!

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

If anyone still needs the TSB number it's NTB09-008b. it was posted Feb. 08, 2010 in the TSB database.

My Versa started making noise at ~20k. I cleaned out my drums which got rid of the noise. They were wore pretty badly for 20K miles too. Almost need replaced in a few months.

dogzebra
Car: 2010 Silver 1.8s cvt

Squeaky brakes aren't always a sign of worn, faulty brakes. Glazed, dirty, rusty brakes will make noise also. Just for kicks, find a vacant stretch of hi-way, get up to 55 mph and do a controled, panic stop, coming to a complete halt. Then come to speed again and brake firmly once again. Then continue to drive around and this time brake several times in a normal fashion. If the squealing went away, and all seems normal with the car, it was probably just glaze or rust from dusty, wet or humid conditions.

OctoberKillz

It's been good now for a little over a month. Once I brought my Cube in for the recall notice, the dealership also saw that there was a service bulletin for the brakes as well, and replaced the rear brakes for free, along with the other recall stuff, so it hasn't squeaked or made any noise since :)

JunseiMotors
Car: 2010 Nissan Titan LE
2004 Acura RSX Type S - Supercharged
1986 Toyota AE86 GTS (hatch)

sorry for not posting the TSB number. Been so busy at work that I don't have time or just get lazy to log on. I see that the TSB number was already posted for the TSB. We always get super busy after tax season.

Zero2Endless
Car: 2002 VW GTI 337 (Sold) 2009 Pearl White Cube 1.8S 6MT

I had it at 6k, but it went away after a while. LoL ahhhh new car kinks.

OctoberKillz

Okay, so my car is reaching 18,000 miles and I got my squeaking brakes replaced a while back. But just recently they have started squeaking again, really loudly and same as before. I don't get it, I thought I had this problem fixed. Anyone else dealing with this same nonsense? Maybe I'm using the brakes too hard haha. You think it is still under warranty/service bulletin recall to get fixed for free? I'm only on my first year of the 3-year warranty so I'm hoping I can get it fixed yet again without any costs.

:gotme

krimsonviper
Car: 2010 MS3 -PAID
2010 Mazda 3i Touring -Totaled
2006 Mazda 3i Sport -Totaled
1989 S13 -Sold
1990 S13 -Sold

You should still be under warranty, I would bring it back into the dealership and have them do the TSB again. They will most likely have you change the front as well depending on the wear. They dealership might change all of the pads for free, if not just the rears, but it does depend on the dealership.

If you have several different Nissan dealerships, and one says they wont do the fronts for free, try the others. It's all about good customer service for returning customers and returning customers is key for businesses.

rkyros
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube

I guess I am the last one to learn about squeaky brakes on the Nissan Cube. I need input on what to do with the fact that I just took my 2009 Cube (I am the 2nd owner) to my trusty mechanic and had both my front and rear brakes replaced- new pads/rotor resurfaced on the front/new drums on the rear, only to get my Cube back with the same squeaky problems. So, I googled "Nissan Cube Brakes...." and found out all the dirty details. Any input on what to do with a $400 brake job bill and no results...?? Help... anyone? Thanks.

Return to “Cube Forum”